Tanking for Duke's Parker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:22 pm    Post subject:

i don't know about Parker. he reminds me of of Derrick Williams of the TWolves. similar size, kind of tweener between SF and PF. i'd pass on Parker (if Wiggins is still available).
USCandLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
dao wrote:
at the end of the year, I hope all of you pious LG monks will be glad we have a mediocre prospect coming off a first round sweep, when we should have had a franchise player by doing the smart thing. There are future superstars in this draft, and we're pissing it away for a SHOT at a first round exit.

We'll have a franchise player next season, possibly two.

Can always tank down the road.
Like who? Carmelo Anthony? He's not a franchise player, and he's getting old. We aren't getting Lebron. There aren't any legit superstaes that we can get out hands on. And even if there were, wouldn't it be nice to pair them with a Wiggins/Parker type player on a rookie deal? Isn't that a lot better than a .500 team and a first round sweep?

Having a mediocre team is the worst situation possible in the NBA. a .500 team is just as irrelevant as a team at the top of the lottery.

Melo's not a franchise player?

It would definitely be nice to pair them with a Wiggins or a Parker, but it's not worth throwing away a season with Kobe to do something that we can easily do once he's gone, especially since there's no guarantee that we even get a high enough pick to draft either of them,a nd that pick may not even pan out. We already wasted years of his prime, let's not do it again.
fubby1
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject:

Sure why not tank, we may be lucky enough to get the next Anthony Bennett.

The draft is a sure thing...uh huh
dao
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
dao wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
dao wrote:
at the end of the year, I hope all of you pious LG monks will be glad we have a mediocre prospect coming off a first round sweep, when we should have had a franchise player by doing the smart thing. There are future superstars in this draft, and we're pissing it away for a SHOT at a first round exit.

Like who? Carmelo Anthony? He's not a franchise player, and he's getting old. We aren't getting Lebron. There aren't any legit superstaes that we can get out hands on. And even if there were, wouldn't it be nice to pair them with a Wiggins/Parker type player on a rookie deal? Isn't that a lot better than a .500 team and a first round sweep?

Having a mediocre team is the worst situation possible in the NBA. a .500 team is just as irrelevant as a team at the top of the lottery.

Melo's not a franchise player?

It would definitely be nice to pair them with a Wiggins or a Parker, but it's not worth throwing away a season with Kobe to do something that we can easily do once he's gone, especially since there's no guarantee that we even get a high enough pick to draft either of them,a nd that pick may not even pan out. We already wasted years of his prime, let's not do it again.

No, I don't consider Carmelo to be a franchise player. And he will be 30 at the start of next season. He will demand a huge contract, and whoever signs him will regret is greatly 2-3 years later.

You don't think a first round exit is wasting Kobe's last years already? It most certainly is. This season is a waste whether we win 42 games or if we win 0. You have to do what's best for the future of the team, not what's best for a player nearing retirement coming off of a devastating injury.

Best case scenario for Kobe is we get a superstar in this draft, sign a player this offseason, and role with that trio for the next couple years. That might be enough to compete for a championship.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i don't know about Parker. he reminds me of of Derrick Williams of the TWolves. similar size, kind of tweener between SF and PF. i'd pass on Parker (if Wiggins is still available).

yea. this is why im watching his game so closely. i want to make sure that he's a lot more skilled than Williams before i believe in the hype.
Williams is actually pretty skilled now too, he creates off the dribble AND hes hyper/more athletic than Parker - but still not close to a superstar

show me something exceptional, Parker - more than just Catch and Shoot 3s and being a willing passer(his first game at Duke)

Last edited by KeepItRealOrElse on Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject:

fubby1 wrote:

The Bennett draft was regarded as the worst one since the Kenyon Martin draft. But yes the draft is still a crapshoot at the end of the day
PayasoLoco
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject:

fubby1 wrote:

or be unlucky enuff to get the next bron/anthony davis/irving/rose. See i can play this game too
BennyLava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject:

cKPayasoLoco wrote:
fubby1 wrote:

or be unlucky enuff to get the next bron/anthony davis/irving/rose. See i can play this game too

Or Magic or James Worthy, no need to stick to the recent past. And these are actually Laker 1st round overall draft picks LOL
lakersfan22
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Carmelo with better playmaking ability
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject:

USCandLakers wrote:
cKPayasoLoco wrote:
in before the holier than all fans come and saw we dont tank and want 5+ seasons of hovering aroun .500

Yes because during those 5 seasons, we're not going to sign any free agents or trade for any players that will make us more than a .500 team.

Well, when you consider we got our last 5 titles by tanking and developing our lottery picks, you can see where he's coming from.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject:

GP1_KB24 wrote:
Wiggins > everyone

I like Wiggins like many, but he seems to lack that swagger that phenoms like Kobe or Lebron had
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject:

Haven't watched him play, but could Wiggins be Harrison Barnes v.2?
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
GP1_KB24 wrote:
Wiggins > everyone

I like Wiggins like many, but he seems to lack that swagger that phenoms like Kobe or Lebron had

the next Tracy McGrady anyone?
Money23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Drifts wrote:
GP1_KB24 wrote:
Wiggins > everyone

the next Tracy McGrady anyone?

This is the most accurate comparison and depending on work ethic and getting better, he could be close to Kobe..... You never know
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:52 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
andrew harrison is the most skilled PG - will that shine through this year? idk.

Exum isnt skilled enough for me. his offensive game is identical to a Batum or Loul Deng. . . not worth a top 5 pick . star wings have a GREAT ability to create off the dribble - he has the ability of a Deng/Batum.

Andrew Harrison has to polish up his fundamentals in the same way Andre Miller did, except Miller always had safe ball-handling and great courtvision/passing skills. He has the best old-man game at Pg ever. Harrison doesn't have the quickness or explosiveness, but he could be a bigger version of Andre Miller...... or Chauncey Billups. A big PG/SG with a developing skill set, but not a total franchise changer like other PGs.

As for Exum, if he's not skilled enough, who is? He has a developing jumpshot, floods lanes in transition with outright speed, and actually has a post game, something that Michael Carter-Williams never developed.

Exum is projected as a SG now, but he's expected to be a PG. There's that much hoop IQ.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
andrew harrison is the most skilled PG - will that shine through this year? idk.

Exum isnt skilled enough for me. his offensive game is identical to a Batum or Loul Deng. . . not worth a top 5 pick . star wings have a GREAT ability to create off the dribble - he has the ability of a Deng/Batum.

Andrew Harrison has to polish up his fundamentals in the same way Andre Miller did, except Miller always had safe ball-handling and great courtvision/passing skills. He has the best old-man game at Pg ever. Harrison doesn't have the quickness or explosiveness, but he could be a bigger version of Andre Miller...... or Chauncey Billups. A big PG/SG with a developing skill set, but not a total franchise changer like other PGs.

As for Exum, if he's not skilled enough, who is? He has a developing jumpshot, floods lanes in transition with outright speed, and actually has a post game, something that Michael Carter-Williams never developed.

Exum is projected as a SG now, but he's expected to be a PG. There's that much hoop IQ.

w/Exum - by skill, i mean dribble moves - Paul George has taken his game to the next level because hes developed better dribble moves ; and this advancement has allowed him to get to the rim at a higher rate.
average dribble moves will make you an average wing player - what else gets you to the rim? from the moves ive seen him use, i dont think he'll be able to beat his defender off the dribble more than a Batum/Deng - they have similar skill off the dribble to Exum.

Andrew Harrison has skill off the dribble comparable to Damian Lilliard. Andrew has alot of moves. as opposed to Marcus Smart who has less dribble moves/skill and just uses raw athleticism to beat you to point A/B. Smart's lack of elite skill off the dribble is what makes him shoot so many contested/bad in-between shots right past the FT - he doesnt have the next move to keep his dribble alive and beat the help defender off the dribble and get to the rim. or that dribble move to create space and get an OPEN/UNCONTESTED shot at 12 feet, like the ultra skilled CP3 does , or how Jerret Jack does, or Steph Curry. SMART just picks up his dribble and takes a couple steps and shoots a contested shot when the help defender comes at him after the pick and roll - not enough skill

Harrison has that skill = kyrie/Lilliard.
and btw, Harrison is a good athlete , not the best, but not a Andre Miller 2.0. and thats fine, because thats what skill off the dribble/dribble moves do - they beat defenders off the dribble. the more skill,the less athleticism you need, ala-Andre Miller. you dont have to be a Westbrook athlete if you have more moves - westbrook is like M.Smart , beat you from point A-B straight line/athleticism. but rarely does that translate to the NBA like it has for Westbrook, so im not so high on M.Smart

ill always go w/ the athlete w/ more skill. ill find the next Steph Curry, ill never drool over a Wesley Johnson prospect ; i can weed those out easily.
basketball is about skill for me .
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject:

rybee wrote:
Sucking for one year and being set up for the next decade is better than being some 8th seed first round fodder for one year. I hope we can get one of these prospects + our cap space will have us in contention again soon with some nice possible FA signings in 2015 and beyond.

are you sure we will be set up for the next decade? LOL you all are something else, labeling these college guys NBA hall of famers after one game....
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:44 pm    Post subject:

dao wrote:
USCandLakers wrote:
dao wrote:

Wiggins/Parker is better than Carmelo? I'm not a Carmelo fan but is that what you are saying?
novadolla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject:

fubby1 wrote:

EXACTLY!
MambaMentality
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I think you're talking about Julius Randle. I've never seen/heard Jabari compared to a Williams/Beasley type, whereas the number one worry that people have about Randle is how he might have no position to play in the NBA.
MambaMentality
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

w/Exum - by skill, i mean dribble moves - Paul George has taken his game to the next level because hes developed better dribble moves ; and this advancement has allowed him to get to the rim at a higher rate.
average dribble moves will make you an average wing player - what else gets you to the rim? from the moves ive seen him use, i dont think he'll be able to beat his defender off the dribble more than a Batum/Deng - they have similar skill off the dribble to Exum.

Andrew Harrison has skill off the dribble comparable to Damian Lilliard. Andrew has alot of moves. as opposed to Marcus Smart who has less dribble moves/skill and just uses raw athleticism to beat you to point A/B. Smart's lack of elite skill off the dribble is what makes him shoot so many contested/bad in-between shots right past the FT - he doesnt have the next move to keep his dribble alive and beat the help defender off the dribble and get to the rim. or that dribble move to create space and get an OPEN/UNCONTESTED shot at 12 feet, like the ultra skilled CP3 does , or how Jerret Jack does, or Steph Curry. SMART just picks up his dribble and takes a couple steps and shoots a contested shot when the help defender comes at him after the pick and roll - not enough skill

and btw, Harrison is a good athlete , not the best, but not a Andre Miller 2.0. and thats fine, because thats what skill off the dribble/dribble moves do - they beat defenders off the dribble. the more skill,the less athleticism you need, ala-Andre Miller. you dont have to be a Westbrook athlete if you have more moves - westbrook is like M.Smart , beat you from point A-B straight line/athleticism. but rarely does that translate to the NBA like it has for Westbrook, so im not so high on M.Smart

ill always go w/ the athlete w/ more skill. ill find the next Steph Curry, ill never drool over a Wesley Johnson prospect ; i can weed those out easily.

Took the words right from my mouth.

Harrison will be overlooked in Kentucky, but watch out for this kid in the NBA. A rich man's Jarret Jack in a Tyreke Evans frame is what I project him to be if he stays on the right track.
rybee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject:

novadolla wrote:
rybee wrote:
Sucking for one year and being set up for the next decade is better than being some 8th seed first round fodder for one year. I hope we can get one of these prospects + our cap space will have us in contention again soon with some nice possible FA signings in 2015 and beyond.

are you sure we will be set up for the next decade? LOL you all are something else, labeling these college guys NBA hall of famers after one game....

Where did I say they were going to be HOF'ers lol, i said the draft was a crapshoot in my next post. It would be a success if we could come out a with a potential starter for the next decade or potential star in this draft. I would rather take a chance on what is supposed to be the strongest draft since 2003 then be some mediocre team.
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject:

MambaMentality wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:

Took the words right from my mouth.

Harrison will be overlooked in Kentucky, but watch out for this kid in the NBA. A rich man's Jarret Jack in a Tyreke Evans frame is what I project him to be if he stays on the right track.

wow, i didnt even know Harrison was 6'5,omg, lol - watch out for this kid!
his shooting stroke looks pure too, a nice fast release on top of that.
watch out for his brother too. Andrew and Aaron Harrison are the most skilled players on any mock draft right now.
i also like the way that Randle will be able to use his skill against NBA 4s, i think he's big enough, and he could wreck NBA 4s off the dribble.

Wiggins/Randle
Andrew Harrison
Aaron Harrison
Gordon/Parker

thats my draft order.
i hate the fact that Parker is such a tweener. and Gordon may move up in the draft because he has skill off the dribble too, and hes the most athletic kid around.
Parker reminds me an awful lot of D.Williams, like i said. but if his jumper is legit, his floor could be Chandler Parsons; who is good off the dribble as well ; and of course 6'9 ..
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject:

You left out Marcus Smart and Exum^^
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
You left out Marcus Smart and Exum^^

na thats my list, as in, different from other peoples. i explained why i dont mess w/ them dudes

do think that Smart has more potential than Exum , tho.
exum=bust
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7
Jump to: