Do the Nets pose the greatest threat to the Heat in the playoffs?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Do the Nets pose the greatest threat to the Heat in the playoffs?

Nets have beaten the Heat 4 times in the regular season. They are the only real team that matches the Heat talent wise IMO, not the Pacers or Spurs. Paul George would have to carry the Pacers over the Heat to win that series, and he's too young to do that at 23yo....

Deron Williams is playing at a high level, and so is Joe Johnson, and Pierce. The depth of their bench is pretty good, with AK47 for defensive purposes...Shaun Livingston is a match up problem and could probably post Chalmers all day. Wade won't be able to match up with Joe Johnson in the post. It's just a very dangerous team for the Heat match-up wise, and talent wise.

If you think about it the Nets are the most talented team the Heat will face in the post season during their Finals run. The Nets are more talented than the Mavericks that beat them in the Finals. And they have 2 clutch closers in JJ and Pierce.
GonzagaAlum
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject:

I think out east, once Hibbert disappeared and Bynum went down... yep.

The thing that can beat the Heat is dominant bigs... there are a few teams out west who can beat them. Memphis, Dallas could do it again (though they'd be a huge dog), the Spurs, Warriors if Bogut was back, maybe clippers and houston... though their bigs can't hit FTs.

I think OKC would get rolled. I don't think Portland matches up well either. You gotta pack it in with bigs... give them the outside... and not put one of the top 10 best players in league history on the bench twice when you need to get a rebound after a missed shot.

I would be willing to pay you for it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Umbraphile
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject:

Nice analysis. The Nets match up well against the Heat, and Pierce and KG have a lot of playoff experience against them. They also despise the Heat and would like nothing more than to end their run. Until the end of the regular season I didn't think that they would see each other in the playoffs but the Nets managed to fall into the No. 6 seed, which some people suspected they preferred over the No. 5 seed.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject:

The regular season matchups are encouraging, but the Spurs were 4-0 against Dallas in the regular season and look at how much that is helping them now.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject:

It could go either way....
We have seen in the playoffs in the past that teams that do well in the regular season against certain teams and then match up well again come playoff time...then we have seen the opposite where with extra preparation and adjustments one team sweeps the other team despite matching up well in the regular season.
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
The regular season matchups are encouraging, but the Spurs were 4-0 against Dallas in the regular season and look at how much that is helping them now.

True, but Dallas have had growing pains during the regular season with the addition of Ellis. It could be that their chemistry is just clicking now in the post season. Plus Spurs don't have any clear individual match up advantages over Dallas, like the Nets do over the Heat.
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject:

The Clippers. They're the most athletic team the Heat would face and Miami intimidates
teams with their speed. Clippers would beat them.
JoJo Dancer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
The Clippers. They're the most athletic team the Heat would face and Miami intimidates

They did before Sterling gate blew up. They won't get passed the Warriors now. The Heats biggest challenger is themselves. Nobody can beat them in a series unless LeBron gets injured.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject:

JoJo Dancer wrote:
lakersboy wrote:

They did before Sterling gate blew up. They won't get passed the Warriors now. The Heats biggest challenger is themselves. Nobody can beat them in a series unless LeBron gets injured.

The Clippers worst enemy is themselves now. Psychologically it seems like the team is a mess.
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject:

Heat have a clear path to the title.

Their only competition WAS the Pacers followed by the Spurs

The Pacers fell apart after All-Star break
The Spurs are looking like they won't make it out of the first round

Hell even the Thunder are looking like a 1st round KO.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject:

Nets need to beat the Raptors first.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:53 am    Post subject:

I don't take how any team looks in a various series to be indicative of how they would fare against another team.

I still consider Miami very vulnerable this season.. 4 straight finals series is an incredibly taxing exhausting feat. They're battling exhaustion/hunger issues.
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:34 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Nets need to beat the Raptors first.

Right!!!! They have hardly been anything outstanding to talk about. All the Nets games against the Heat, all but one was decided by 1 or 2 points by the final buzzer. I hate Miami too, but its seems they will be at the finals again. Unless the Wizards shock them. But then, Wiz need to beat Chicago first..
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject:

#EasternConference

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:23 pm    Post subject:

The Bobcats looked so pathetic and Miami got such a lucky break with the injury to Jefferson that I can't tell how good the Heat are right now. The next round will tell us a lot more.

I think the biggest threat to them is San Antonio. That's the one team that I know can beat them. The Clippers are a question mark to me. I think Memphis would be the second or third biggest threat (not sure if they are a tougher matchup or the Clippers are for Miami). I'd rank the Nets 4th because I don't think they are as good as the other three teams. I don't think any other team is likely to beat them so I guess I'd rank OKC 5th.
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:

The Clippers really aren't that athletic, sure Blake and DeAndre are, but Barnes is old, Reddick is bottom 1% and Chris Paul hasn't played athletically since his knees gave him issues.

But that's not what gives Miami issues, OKC are far and away the most athletic team in the west, other than Perkins, they have some genuine athletic freaks (they migth well have the most athletic players in the league in 3 positions), and they haven't bothered miami for years.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject:

So much for the Nets being such a big threat. I was really hoping they would finish Toronto in 6 or maybe 5 games. I guess it will be Raptors and Heat. I didn't think that Chicago, Brooklyn and Indiana would all go out in the first round.

I never thought Miami would have to beat Charlotte, Toronto and Washington to make the Finals.
Nnamdi21
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject:

there is no way the heat can screw this up. they can potentially beat the Raptors and wiz without wade or bosh.

Heck our 2011 team on its last legs would be in the finals in the east. Heat haters panic!!!!!
Sacreligious
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:15 pm    Post subject:

If the Nets actually make it out of the first round then they have a shot.

I believe the Wiz will pose the biggest challenge to the Heat.

-Great size with both Gortat and Nene. Noah had trouble with Nene so I don't think Bosh could handle him one on one. PnR though Bosh could stop them but iso Nene will be huge.

-Ariza and Booker to throw at LBJ to slow him down a bit.

-Wall who can penetrate and open up the corner threes (I believe they are one of the better 3pt shooting teams especially from the corner)

-Beal has enough size and quickness to be in front of Dwade

The SF position Miam has them beat but not by an incredibly large margin. Every other position is close enough in terms of effectiveness.

It's gonna be a heck of a series. I really want the Wiz to win but If the Heat do, I wouldn't be shocked.
West24Bryant
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Not anymore. They can't even handle the Raptors, so forget about them beating any other team.
At this rate, the damn heat will Waltz to the NBA Finals again and face another worn-out Western team.
shnxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject:

yeah i don't think the heat will have any problem this year winning it all.
every single team except them is struggling... and we are in the first round.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Guess they have run out of gas...
Whatever challenge remains for the Miami Heat will be from one of the young upstart teams like the Wizards. Even then the Wizards don't stand a chance against Miami. Pacers are done for.
Fruscas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject:

Wizards big man duo Nene + Gortat could give the Heat some serious problems. How unreal would it be for the Wizards to be in the nba finals ahah but it's a true possibility right now. Just think about it for a second
Jeggs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Steve007 wrote:
So much for the Nets being such a big threat. I was really hoping they would finish Toronto in 6 or maybe 5 games. I guess it will be Raptors and Heat. I didn't think that Chicago, Brooklyn and Indiana would all go out in the first round.

I never thought Miami would have to beat Charlotte, Toronto and Washington to make the Finals.

It's been a surprise all season long. All these game sevens and top seeds being challenged. I think a game 7 favors a veteran team like the Nets but the crowd and toronto and the raptors energy may be what gets the raptors over the hump.

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing toronto advance at this point. I think they will tire the heat out more than the Nets would.

But Indiana advanced, and a lot of people think the wizards will beat them.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject:

I don't see old ass Pierce and KG making a difference...it would've mattered 4 years ago, but not in 2014.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: