OFFICIAL D'ANGELO RUSSELL (2yr, $37M, pg. 2749)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2881, 2882, 2883 ... 2894, 2895, 2896  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:42 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Two great games this series for DLo. Thought his defense was solid too.

Both those games we should have won…

Props tonight. Just have to keep being aggressive.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Just do your job and put the phone on airplane mode
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Day wrote:
We actually ran the ball through DLo in the fourth, ran DLo/AD pick n roll like 4 times in a row in the fourth, we shoulda kept with it because they didn't have an answer but then LeBron had to iso a few times in a row and ruin our flow.

My thing is will we see this again as we go away from what works..smh.

Denver counters by putting length (MPJ) or ball pressure (KCP) on DLo. If it's Murray and Jokic in the PnR, DLo can cook them. I need to rewatch to see how LA was able to get those guys off him.

When they stick KCP on DLO we should be going to Reaves or Hachimura to attack him.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
levon wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Day wrote:
We actually ran the ball through DLo in the fourth, ran DLo/AD pick n roll like 4 times in a row in the fourth, we shoulda kept with it because they didn't have an answer but then LeBron had to iso a few times in a row and ruin our flow.

Denver counters by putting length (MPJ) or ball pressure (KCP) on DLo. If it's Murray and Jokic in the PnR, DLo can cook them. I need to rewatch to see how LA was able to get those guys off him.

When they stick KCP on DLO we should be going to Reaves or Hachimura to attack him.

Agreed. We always have an advantage against their starting guards. That's basically the only matchup we can win consistently.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
levon wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Day wrote:

Whats your percentage that when that happens instead of using Reaves or Hachi..ie adjust Ham just goes away from the play all together..back to dlo jacking up catch and shoots?
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:53 pm    Post subject:

Was nice to see them mix it up, and utilize DLo with AD pnr followed by LBJs painful isos mixed with AR handling the ball down thr stretch. DLo is so much more engaged when given a real role besides spot up 3 guy. Hope they find ways to keep him involved game 5.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:02 pm    Post subject:

We need Game 2 D'Lo lighting up from 3.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:
levon wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Day wrote:

Whats your percentage that when that happens instead of using Reaves or Hachi..ie adjust Ham just goes away from the play all together..back to dlo jacking up catch and shoots?

it depends really.

If they stick KCP on DLO.

It means Gordon is on LeBron
and it means Jokic is on Davis

We know those are for sure.

But if KCP is guarding DLO

it means Murray is either on Hachimura or Reaves and MPJ is on the other.

SO if Murray is on Hachimura, we make Hachimura attack him like we did some tonight. If Murray is on Reaves, we have Reaves attack him as well.

Target Murray on offense and continue how we've approached him on defense, to make him work on both ends. Dealing with Hachimura and Reaves attacking him all night is the right tactic, Reaves and Hachimura just have to keep their ends of the deal by scoring and taking advantage. Reavees can, Hachimura if he's more aggressive can to. In fact when we pick and roll switched and had Hachimura guarded by Murray in the other matchups the Nuggets had no answer.

As much as the Nuggets like to get one of our guards on MPJ so he can just rise up and shoot, we should be trying to exploit Murray the same way.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Okay I just rewatched it. DLo scored on KCP and Porter, not Murray. But the key was Denver was pressing in semi-transition and DLo and AD immediately beat the ball pressure. This was partly just bad, low-energy defense and partly because the Nuggets were down and were trying to gamble.

What stood out to me is that it wasn't just a varied attack with LeBron. They then ran Reaves PnR too to attack Murray, LeBron attacking Murray.

What unlocks all of this is, ironically, Prince at the 3. With Reaves and Prince as real shooting threats, Porter and Gordon aren't able to help and the Lakers literally get whatever they want.

Denver is a really lame defense honestly. If they can't outrebound or outoffense you, they're pretty mid. I'm a little bit concerned about their ability to beat Boston.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:
levon wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Day wrote:

it depends really.

SO if Murray is on Hachimura, we make Hachimura attack him like we did some tonight. If Murray is on Reaves, we have Reaves attack him as well.

Target Murray on offense and continue how we've approached him on defense, to make him work on both ends. Dealing with Hachimura and Reaves attacking him all night is the right tactic, Reaves and Hachimura just have to keep their ends of the deal by scoring and taking advantage. Reavees can, Hachimura if he's more aggressive can to. In fact when we pick and roll switched and had Hachimura guarded by Murray in the other matchups the Nuggets had no answer.

As much as the Nuggets like to get one of our guards on MPJ so he can just rise up and shoot, we should be trying to exploit Murray the same way.

U disappeared when dlo went 0/7 and u show ur face now lol pathetic
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm    Post subject:

We have to accept that he is a player who will have on-nights and off-nights and it has nothing to do with mental strength or cant perform in the playoffs or whatever. While this may have been a thing in the past mostly due to inexperience in his case, you cant perform like D'Lo has in Game 2 and 4 in these circumstances if you are mentally weak: you just cant. His too cool for school schtick and big talk in terms of feeling himself is just him being confident and its real confidence, not just talk. Whether he has a big game in game 5 for which I have confidence or ends up firing blanks, I do not question dude's basketball character anymore. He is who he is: a confident dude who is getting better in big games with more and more big game experience but no one can predict if in a certain game, he will make his shots or miss.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:05 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
Okay I just rewatched it. DLo scored on KCP and Porter, not Murray. But the key was Denver was pressing in semi-transition and DLo and AD immediately beat the ball pressure. This was partly just bad, low-energy defense and partly because the Nuggets were down and were trying to gamble.

What stood out to me is that it wasn't just a varied attack with LeBron. They then ran Reaves PnR too to attack Murray, LeBron attacking Murray.

What unlocks all of this is, ironically, Prince at the 3. With Reaves and Prince as real shooting threats, Porter and Gordon aren't able to help and the Lakers literally get whatever they want.

Denver is a really lame defense honestly. If they can't outrebound or outoffense you, they're pretty mid. I'm a little bit concerned about their ability to beat Boston.

yeah the Lakers when they run an actual offense and don't rely on iso rushed shots when Denver is pressuring them, Denver hasn't really been able to stop them defensively. There's a reason we've held the lead for 130+ minutes of this series. It's us not responding/adjusting when they go on their runs that has lost us games. We did that today and essentially answered their run with our run and kept the lead bell to bell.

1995Lakers wrote:
We have to accept that he is a player who will have on-nights and off-nights and it has nothing to do with mental strength or cant perform in the playoffs or whatever. While this may have been a thing in the past mostly due to inexperience in his case, you cant perform like D'Lo has in Game 2 and 4 in these circumstances if you are mentally weak: you just cant. His too cool for school schtick and big talk in terms of feeling himself is just him being confident.

We need to take full advantage of the good games. The series is 2-2 if we had. We'll definitely need him similarly in Game 5 to give us a chance.

If the Lakers can win Game 5, then the Nuggets will have lost twice and will have to go back to Los Angeles needing to make even more adjustments.

One Game at a time, and Game 5 is next.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject:

^ So glad Bron is the engine for our team though. Everyone, including himself, can take heart and confidence knowing that he has personally come back from bigger odds than one he is currently in right now as of this moment down 3-1 to Denver. Truthfully I feel much better about the Lakers odds right now than I did of Cleveland's after they lost Game 4 to trail 3-1.
Inverse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:03 am    Post subject:

He hooped today. All the chicken little 'laker fans' screaming for his head and hoping he failed again had to eat crow

It's so obvious to me that hes the most important player on the team. We know what we'll get out of bron and AD. But DLO makes us look like a legit contender when he is on

There was a stretch in the 4th quarter where we went DLO/AD pick and roll like 5 possesions in a row with lebron in the dunker spot and we found incredible success with that offense. It looked damn near unstoppable. I would run that play non stop until denver can prove that they can stop it
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject:

It seems like the only way for Lakers to win games in this series is if DLO make a solid scoring contribution on a good shooting percentage. It's rough when a player that is feast or famine from one night to the next determines a team's fate. So far he's off one and on the next. If pattern follows he will be off in game 5, but I'm rooting for him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:02 am    Post subject:

Inverse wrote:
He hooped today. All the chicken little 'laker fans' screaming for his head and hoping he failed again had to eat crow

It's so obvious to me that hes the most important player on the team. We know what we'll get out of bron and AD. But DLO makes us look like a legit contender when he is on

There was a stretch in the 4th quarter where we went DLO/AD pick and roll like 5 possesions in a row with lebron in the dunker spot and we found incredible success with that offense. It looked damn near unstoppable. I would run that play non stop until denver can prove that they can stop it

It can be. DLO running a PnR with AD as the roller/mid-range and LeBron as the slasher to the basket on paper is a near impossible to stop scenario if the Lakers did it more often. It's why DLO running the point works so well because it frees up LeBron off ball to beat people backdoor and slash to the basket or seal under the basket, and the pick and roll with AD gets him an open mid range or a cut to the basket. Or the defense rotates over to the cutter and DLO gets the no look lob to AD or to LeBron.

Those three SHOULD be an unstoppable PnR combination with what all 3 excel at, and the Nuggets whenever we run PnR have no answer for it. It's definitely something we should stick with, as it breaks the Nuggets defense down each time we try it. The Nuggets run a help defense whenever AD is going to the basket, that's what free's up the cutter and if that cutter is LeBron, it's a dunk or a layup each time.

LeBron can backdoor Gordon all night off ball because Gordon has to be focused on Davis when DLO and AD run the pick and roll and Davis looks like he's rolling to the basket. LeBron can come from the weak side each time and get a dunk or finish.

1:45 AD and Russell screen. Jackson's trailing and 'in jail' on DLO's hip. LeBron's open for the backdoor, Gordon has to watch AD and DLO and initially steps up to stop AD, but decides to recommit to potentially stop LeBron from backdooring. Jokic doesn't fully commit to DLO in order to stay with AD, DLO has an easy layup.

1:53 AD and Russell screen. Jokic halfway committed to AD but laying off. 4 Nuggets crowd the paint in case of AD rolling. Gordon is halfway committed in case AD slashes. There are multiple openings here because of this.
- Russell is wide open from mid
- AD is wide open from mid
- Prince is wide open from three
- Gabe is wide open for three
- LBJ is wide open for three

Russell takes first option after faking a pass to Vincent to move Murray, it's short but he taps back to AD who is still open and he sinks it.

2:02 AD and Russell screen, this time on MPJ. MPJ is way behind on screen, causing Jokic to have to come up to try to stop Russell. Murray is playing the passing lane in case it goes to Vincent for three. Gordon is now committed to help defend AD rolling to the basket as Jokic had to commit to DLO. This means he can't stop LeBron if LeBron attacks backdoor. He does.
LeBron dives to the basket, DLO hits him with the wide open no-look alley oop.

2:15 AD and Russell screen. Reggie starts to go over, but then tries to go under to stop AD from rolling but leaves DLO wide open because of that. Russell rises up and pulls from 3, gets fouled by Jackson(no whistle) and sinks it. Now had DLO kept running and Jackson remained behind him, Jokic would have had to step up again(as he was prepared to do) and Gordon would have had to rotate to AD, Jackson would have been caught in the middle, and LeBron would have likely had another alley oop if he dives.

The Nuggets cannot stop the Lakers pick and roll, and they need to run it more as a go-to, especially when the Nuggets attempt their runs.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:15 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
MJST wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:
levon wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
Day wrote:

it depends really.

Who want to come into a toxic hating mess in the forum? Go back in this forum and really read what is wrote in here.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:

This in response to 4 different posters having an interesting discussion of tactics used to counter Denver's defensive assignments, where the weaknesses appear in this series, how several players we have on this team match up against Denver's back court, and how we counter their moves?

The irony. This is either an inside joke and self deprecating humor on your part, or a truly pathetic post calling the discussion you responded to pathetic.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:37 am    Post subject:

I missed the game but looks like dlo was making his shots yesterday.. Good game

Last edited by Bron2AD on Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:54 am; edited 1 time in total
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:39 am    Post subject:

Him being able to nail pullup 3s is so essential for unlocking the offense. When I listened to the Lakers Exceptionalism pod I kept pulling my hair out when Cranjis talked about how pullup 3s will beat drop defenses although DLO is so streaky on them
Nobody
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:46 am    Post subject:

Nice bounce back game. Please, give us one more on Monday!
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Him being able to nail pullup 3s is so essential for unlocking the offense. When I listened to the Lakers Exceptionalism pod I kept pulling my hair out when Cranjis talked about how pullup 3s will beat drop defenses although DLO is so streaky on them

Are we sure this is D'Lo specific though and not just shot variance in general. Recall Ray Allen for example. How terrible that dude looked vs Detroit in the ECF and then should have been the real Finals MVP vs the Lakers in 2008. Then in 2010, what a doozy. From the highs of Game 2 where he made 8 threes to literally being unable to make a single shot in Game 3.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:10 am    Post subject:

After his game yesterday. His shooting splits are 38/35/50 for this playoffs.
Lets see what we get in game 5. I'm rooting for him, but I'm a bit worried.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
tox wrote:

Are we sure this is D'Lo specific though and not just shot variance in general. Recall Ray Allen for example. How terrible that dude looked vs Detroit in the ECF and then should have been the real Finals MVP vs the Lakers in 2008. Then in 2010, what a doozy. From the highs of Game 2 where he made 8 threes to literally being unable to make a single shot in Game 3.

This is what happens when a player doesn't get to the line. Wild swings in output. Then when the player allows missed shots to affect other parts of their game? Good luck.

I've said it all the time that it's not his misses that bother me, but the variance in his engagement. Wolves fans will tell you the same thing. One second he's really into it, the next he's not even trying. Maybe some kind of attention problem.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject:

DLo is like a box of chocolates. Ya never know wacha gunna git.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2881, 2882, 2883 ... 2894, 2895, 2896  Next
Page 2882 of 2896
Jump to: