THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3666, 3667, 3668 ... 3683, 3684, 3685  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:02 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
Quote:
Leading Democrat Nancy Pelosi joins calls to halt US arms transfers to Israel

Dozens of congressional Democrats in the United States have signed a letter urging president Joe Biden and secretary of state Antony Blinken to halt the transfer of weapons to Israel, as internal pressure continues to ramp up against Washington’s unconditional support for the occupation and its war crimes in Gaza.

In the letter on Friday, it stated that “In light of the recent strike against aid workers and the ever-worsening humanitarian crisis, we believe it is unjustifiable to approve these weapons transfers” to Israel, referring to the Israeli military’s killing of seven Western humanitarian workers from the World Central Kitchen organization in what appeared to be precise and surgical strikes.

https://twitter.com/RepMarkPocan/status/1776365525985042443

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20240407-leading-democrat-nancy-pelosi-joins-calls-to-halt-us-arms-transfers-to-israel/

So, what is Joe to do?

And as an addendum, we have John Kirby state today...

Quote:
MARGARET BRENNAN: You said on Tuesday, the US has not found any incidents where the Israelis have violated international law. How far reaching is the US investigation of Israel?

KIRBY: I wouldn't call it a US investigation of Israel. We have a normal process the State Department runs and governs, where they take a look at incidents, particularly those that are being- operations being conducted by partner countries. And they look at them and they assess them against international law. And they're doing that in real time, Margaret. So, some of them may have looked at and concluded some they're still looking at it--

MARGARET BRENNAN: --So they may be in violation of international law?

KIRBY: Thus far- thus far, as I said the other day, we've not seen any indication they have violated international humanitarian law. But we take this seriously. They take it seriously at the State Department. And we'll keep looking at this.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/john-kirby-national-security-council-spokesperson-face-the-nation-transcript-04-07-2024/

Doesn't Pelosi and congressional Democrats trust the Biden administration state department?

What is President Biden's rationalization for continuing to send weapons to Israel? How can he not see International Humanitarian Laws being violated? I trust our president. He has to have something in mind. I'm still in the dark about our supporting Israel in this instance. If he doesn't take another path, the one he's on may cause the doom of democracy.🫰🏾🙏🏾

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:19 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
What is President Biden's rationalization for continuing to send weapons to Israel? How can he not see International Humanitarian Laws being violated? I trust our president. He has to have something in mind. I'm still in the dark about our supporting Israel in this instance. If he doesn't take another path, the one he's on may cause the doom of democracy.🫰🏾🙏🏾

Because Israel is the only democracy in the middle east and a key strategic ally there for 70 years.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:16 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Because Israel is the only democracy in the middle east and a key strategic ally there for 70 years.

I know what America is. America is a thing you can move very easily, move it in the right direction. They won't get in our way. - Netanyahu 7/16/10
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:20 pm    Post subject:

DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I understand that. I'm weighing the support contributing to the distruction of democracy. It's going to be a talking point in the coming election. If Biden loses that one issue may be a key reason.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:58 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DuncanIdaho wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I know what America is. America is a thing you can move very easily, move it in the right direction. They won't get in our way. - Netanyahu 7/16/10

LINK to kikanga's post Watch the video. Benji is a smug SOB

angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject:

The backstory on Trump's bond just keeps getting weirder and weirder, even by Trump standards.

So a guy who underwrites subprime car loan debt lends money to Donald Trump? These jokes write themselves.

Here's something I found interesting, though it is from The Daily Beast, so it may not be the best researched journalism:

Quote:
“There are many questions here, and that short piece of paper gives very little comfort,” said Maria T. Vullo, who was formerly New York’s top financial regulator.

“I believe this paper isn’t worth much and there are more shenanigans behind it,” said one former regulator, who’s intimately familiar with industry norms but spoke only on condition of anonymity....

n his interview with CBS last week, Knight Specialty’s president asserted that the company has more than $1 billion in “equity.” The bond it posted on Thursday also included a financial snapshot of a second corporate entity, the similarly named Knight Insurance Company LTD, which lists $1 billion in “surplus to policy holders.”

The document seems to suggest that the smaller company is somehow strengthened by the existence of the larger one. But only the smaller company is actually listed on the bond agreement.

In reality, though, a strict reading of “Bond No. 350588” shows that even the smaller company isn’t technically on the hook for paying out the $175 million if higher courts ultimately cement his loss to the AG.

Buried in the typical legalese of the contract is the phrase: “Knight Specialty Insurance Company… does hereby… undertake that if the judgment… is dismissed… Donald J. Trump… shall pay… the sum directed.”

In other words: If Trump loses the case, Trump will pay. But that’s no different than Trump’s obligation before the bond was issued.

“Getting into the weeds, the company undertakes that Trump will pay,” said one bond industry source who declined to be publicly identified for this story.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-dollar175-million-bond-is-even-shadier-than-it-looks

The bond underwriter is Knight Specialty, which is a subsidiary of the much larger Knight Insurance Company LTD. Knight Specialty doesn't have sufficient equity to underwrite the Trump bond but is feigning that they are backed by the parent company. I'll bet the ranch that if Knight Specialty faces insolvency they'll declare bankruptcy, and that the parent will simply walk away as they are a separate legal entity.

It also begs the question, why didn't Knight Insurance Company LTD underwrite the bond instead?

What's also funny is that Knight Specialty is essentially saying, "Don't bother if Trump loses, he'll pay, not me." In other words, they won't pay the State of New York directly if Trump loses the appeal, Trump will pay. This looks like a departure from what you'd expect from a bond. You'd expect Knight Specialty to pay the damages to the State and then seize Trump's collateral. That's why the fee charged to Trump was so low, they've been creative in the way they guarantee performance. Here's the financial obligation chain, at least the way I see it from afar if Trump loses the appeal: The State of NY seizes Trump assets, and if they cannot recover the nearly $500 million, they are then forced to sue Knight Specialty to recover, and in that event, Knight Specialty can simply declare bankruptcy if they believe that liability is too high.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:36 am    Post subject:

^^^Everyone Trump does business with is either shady AF, criminal AF or a child molester.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:40 am    Post subject:

Here is where one of RFK Jr's top campaign people brags that the whole point of their campaign is to help Trump get elected.

Quote:
Edward-Isaac Dovere @IsaacDovere

video shows RFK Jr’s NY director laying out a clear plan:

“The Kennedy voter & the Trump voter—our mutual enemy is Biden. … if nobody gets to 270, Congress picks the president. So who are they going to pick if it’s a R Congress? They’ll pick Trump.”

link to video
NMLaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject:

RFKjr can burn in hell.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
^^^Everyone Trump does business with is either shady AF, criminal AF or a child molester.

So tell us how you really feel CL.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:19 am    Post subject:

NMLaker wrote:
RFKjr can burn in hell.

He's done a complete 180 from the Kennedy family political position. He should be Rorschach tested.

kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject:

NMLaker wrote:
RFKjr can burn in hell.

His VP bought her way on the ticket.
Multiple members of his family have come out against his campaign.
And he shares major donors with Trump.

If he swings this election. Democrats should do the same thing to Republicans from 2028 on.
Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
NMLaker wrote:
RFKjr can burn in hell.

He's done a complete 180 from the Kennedy family political position. He should be Rorschach tested.

Actually it skipped a generation, he takes after his grandfather, Joe Kennedy who was quite the rascal.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
jodeke wrote:
NMLaker wrote:
RFKjr can burn in hell.

Actually it skipped a generation, he takes after his grandfather, Joe Kennedy who was quite the rascal.

Why do you say that? To my knowledge Joe P. Kennedy wasn't a douchebag politician even though he was tied to Joe McCarthy.

Murdock
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Murdock wrote:
jodeke wrote:
NMLaker wrote:
RFKjr can burn in hell.

Why do you say that? To my knowledge Joe P. Kennedy wasn't a douchebag politician even though he was tied to Joe McCarthy.

Quote:
Kennedy rejected the belief of Winston Churchill that any compromise with Nazi Germany was impossible. Instead, he supported Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain's policy of appeasement. Throughout 1938, while the Nazi persecution of the Jews in Germany intensified, Kennedy attempted to arrange a meeting with Adolf Hitler.[77] Shortly before the Nazi bombing of British cities began in September 1940, Kennedy once again sought a personal meeting with Hitler without the approval of the U. S. Department of State, in order to "bring about a better understanding between the United States and Germany".[78]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_P._Kennedy_Sr.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Murdock wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Murdock wrote:
jodeke wrote:
NMLaker wrote:
RFKjr can burn in hell.

Quote:
Kennedy rejected the belief of Winston Churchill that any compromise with Nazi Germany was impossible. Instead, he supported Prime Minister Neville Chamberlain's policy of appeasement. Throughout 1938, while the Nazi persecution of the Jews in Germany intensified, Kennedy attempted to arrange a meeting with Adolf Hitler.[77] Shortly before the Nazi bombing of British cities began in September 1940, Kennedy once again sought a personal meeting with Hitler without the approval of the U. S. Department of State, in order to "bring about a better understanding between the United States and Germany".[78]

As ambassador to Britain, he essentially advocated abandoning England at the start of WWll.

[In938, Roosevelt appointed Kennedy as the United States ambassador to the Court of St James's (United Kingdom). Kennedy hoped to succeed Roosevelt in the White House,[70] telling a British reporter in late 1939 that he was confident that Roosevelt would "fall" in 1940 (that year's presidential election).[68]
Kennedy and his family retreated to the countryside during the bombings of London by German aircraft in World War II. In so doing, he damaged his reputation with the British.[71] This move prompted Randolph Churchill to say, "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy".[72]

Kennedy developed a reputation as a defeatist.[73]

And that doesn’t even cover the shady dealings of the Kennedy ancestors. JFK and RFK may have been decent men, but their father, not so much.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Abortion is on the ballot and this ad is brutal. Well done team Biden.

Quote:
Biden-Harris HQ @BidenHQ

This ad is part of our $30 million spring ad campaign and will air in battleground states on national television, local television, and digitally.

Every single American will know what Donald Trump did to women across America

link to video
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Abortion is on the ballot and this ad is brutal. Well done team Biden.

Quote:
Biden-Harris HQ @BidenHQ

This ad is part of our $30 million spring ad campaign and will air in battleground states on national television, local television, and digitally.

Every single American will know what Donald Trump did to women across America

link to video

I love it. We need to hit undecided voters and reachable Trump voters hard in the gut and show them the consequences of voting Republican.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Murdock wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Murdock wrote:
jodeke wrote:
NMLaker wrote:
RFKjr can burn in hell.

Quote:

As ambassador to Britain, he essentially advocated abandoning England at the start of WWll.

[In938, Roosevelt appointed Kennedy as the United States ambassador to the Court of St James's (United Kingdom). Kennedy hoped to succeed Roosevelt in the White House,[70] telling a British reporter in late 1939 that he was confident that Roosevelt would "fall" in 1940 (that year's presidential election).[68]
Kennedy and his family retreated to the countryside during the bombings of London by German aircraft in World War II. In so doing, he damaged his reputation with the British.[71] This move prompted Randolph Churchill to say, "I thought my daffodils were yellow until I met Joe Kennedy".[72]

Kennedy developed a reputation as a defeatist.[73]

And that doesn’t even cover the shady dealings of the Kennedy ancestors. JFK and RFK may have been decent men, but their father, not so much.

HOW FDR OWNED JOE KENNEDY
Quote:
Early in the Great War, Joe Kennedy, Sr. was running a shipyard in Quincy that had contracted to build and deliver two warships for a friendly nation in the Western Hemisphere (Argentina, if memory serves). When the War broke out, Kennedy realized this was an opportunity to gouge the foreign customer, so he made up some reason to delay delivery until they paid extra — a standard business practice, if you’re a certain kind. What were they gonna do, sue him — a foreign country in US court? Fugedaboudit.

So some Assistant Secretary of the Navy asks for a meeting in Kennedy’s office, where he has this big desk and huge picture window overlooking the docks. Kennedy takes the meeting, because a shipyard has to be nice to the Navy, but he’s not impressed: the guy is after all isn’t even the Secretary of War, just an ASSISTANT to a third-tier Federal official — he’s distant cousins to a former Republican President, married that President’s favorite niece, but there is a Democratic President now: who cares? So when Joe Kennedy met Franklin Delano Roosevelt, this tall, athletic young man with those nose-pinching glasses and that arrogant (bleep) to his head (always looking down his nose at you), Kennedy saw just another weak Harvard (bleep) like the guys he’d been kicking the (bleep) out of his whole life.

It wasn’t much of a meeting, either. FDR didn’t even sit down, not that Kennedy was gracious.

Roosevelt just made his ask — that the yard deliver the ships on time, at the agreed price — Kennedy said “no”, while FDR admired the view out the picture window.

“Sorry you feel that way, Joe”, Roosevelt said, and left.

Didn’t take 10 minutes. Years later, Kennedy recalled that he stopped thinking about the meeting as soon as the door closed. The rest of his life, he always said FDR was the best negotiator he’d ever encountered.

That’s because the next dawn as Kennedy got to his office (he was a morning person), he had just begun his day at that desk when he heard a commotion down on the docks. So he looked out his big picture window — and saw two companies of US Marines and a couple tugboats seizing both ships, getting them underway while his security guards looked on helplessly at an efficient military operation. The US Navy delivered them to the friendly foreign power.

That afternoon, FDR sent Kennedy the bill.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules Murdock Dr. Laker I stand corrected

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:14 am    Post subject:

Biden has been doing much better in the polls since the state of the union. Also in the betting markets which is a good indicator on who is going to win.

https://www.predictit.org/markets/detail/7456/Who-will-win-the-2024-US-presidential-election
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:21 am    Post subject:

Once President Biden solves the Israel military aid problem he should soar in the polls. I hope I don't come across as being callous but weighing the hostages against the loss of demoracy I put democracy above. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not discarding the humanitarian aspect. If Trump wins the Oval Office our 70 relationship with Israel will be in trouble. Having said that I'll still vote for Biden no matter what. IMO that's a no brainer. As I've said in the past I'd vote for Dudley Do-Right before Trump.

Trump's no longer hiding his want to be a dictator. He's being so descriptive even his minions should be nervous. He's blantanly lying about his stance on abortion. He lies without batting an eye. That stupid look on his face makes me want to try to reach into my TV and choke him.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:52 am    Post subject:

Republicans won't stop until women have NO rights. And when Republicans like Trump say "leave it to the states" trying to sound "moderate," the reality is anything but. Next up IVF, birth control, gay marriage and voting rights of any group that they don't deem worthy.

Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

Breaking: The Arizona Supreme Court just upheld a 160-year-old abortion ban — making abortion illegal in nearly all circumstances — that will likely shutter clinics in the state.

The 1864 ban predates Arizona's statehood.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Republicans won't stop until women have NO rights. And when Republicans like Trump say "leave it to the states" trying to sound "moderate," the reality is anything but. Next up IVF, birth control, gay marriage and voting rights of any group that they don't deem worthy.

Quote:
Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

Breaking: The Arizona Supreme Court just upheld a 160-year-old abortion ban — making abortion illegal in nearly all circumstances — that will likely shutter clinics in the state.

The 1864 ban predates Arizona's statehood.

The video you posted will have a huge impact. Women will keep the Orange TURD out of the Oval Office

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Arizona came down to the wire in the last election, and this probably makes it a bit more likely that Biden wins the state now. I still don't think it will be enough in Florida but I'd love to be wrong on that.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 3666, 3667, 3668 ... 3683, 3684, 3685  Next
Page 3667 of 3685
Jump to: