OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:53 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
twisted wrote:
Anyone advocating for that dumb Turner + Hield for 2 FRP, RW deal should now be forever banned from hating on Rob.

He essentially got Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt and Bamba for 1 FRP 1 SRP THT and RW.

If anyone ever wanted that trade should be banned from watching basketball

Rob has done his part for this season.
The supporting cast is solid.
Now it just comes down to if Bron and Brow can stay healthy for a run.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject:

In Rob We Trust
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:11 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
epic_ wrote:
twisted wrote:
Anyone advocating for that dumb Turner + Hield for 2 FRP, RW deal should now be forever banned from hating on Rob.

He essentially got Russell, Beasley, Vanderbilt and Bamba for 1 FRP 1 SRP THT and RW.

Yes, he closed the barn doors after all the animals had left.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject:

It looks like RP has also setup the roster to keep the core together for next season as well.

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/los-angeles-lakers/yearly/cap/
Robblake
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject:

I’ll gladly eat my crow. It just seemed like he was in over his head and has no plan at all how to remedy our situation. Maybe rob stopped listening to others and took the reign. Moves like this he’ll me understand why Kobe vouched for him.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

Robblake wrote:
I’ll gladly eat my crow. It just seemed like he was in over his head and has no plan at all how to remedy our situation. Maybe rob stopped listening to others and took the reign. Moves like this he’ll me understand why Kobe vouched for him.

You’re a better man than I haha…

I ain’t eating sh!t…I’ll just keep giving it till proven otherwise. Deep postseason runS (get it?) have been RiP. 💩

Till then, dudes best known for having an 8 consecutive Finals appearance dude, so far only show up there once in the 5 seasons he’s been here.

Kob said it best…

https://tenor.com/bb2pt.gif
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject:

Under 30 yrs old (not fully prime) -Bold keeper imo

Dlo 2015 - 1st 2nd (26 yrs old)
Mo 2018 - 1st 6th (24 yrs old)
Rui 2019 - 1st 9th (25 yrs old)
Brown 2018 - 1st 15th (23 yrs old)
Lonnie 2018 - 1st 18th (24 yrs old)
Beasley 2015 - 1st 19th (26 yrs old)
Reed 2017 - 2nd 32nd (27 yrs old)
Max 2022 - 2nd 5th (20 yrs old)
Vanderbuilt 2018 - 2nd 41st (23 yrs old)
Reaves 2021 undrafted (24 yrs old)
Wenyen 2019 undrafetd (25 yrs old)

Vet (over 30 yrs old)

Lebron 2003 - 1st 1st
Davis 2012 - 1st 1st
Dennis 2013 - 1st 17th

What a job Pelinka did competing this year and building for the future with a protected 1st and a 2nd.

Last year squad only promising talent were

Reeves (23 yrs old) undrafted
THT (21 yrs old) 2nd 16th
Wenyen (24 yrs old) undrafted
Stanley ( 25 yrs old) 1st 8th

WOW what a turn around, we now have asset and the future does not look bleak moving forward.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

Vet (over 30 yrs old)

Lebron 2003 - 1st 1st
Davis 2012 - 1st 1st
Dennis 2013 - 1st 17th

What a job Pelinka did competing this year and building for the future with a protected 1st and a 2nd.

WOW what a turn around, we now have asset and the future does not look bleak moving forward.

Wow, it’s basically AD and the under 26, strong work RP
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:50 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

Vet (over 30 yrs old)

Lebron 2003 - 1st 1st
Davis 2012 - 1st 1st
Dennis 2013 - 1st 17th

I actually think Beasley, Wenyan are guys you should definitely keep around. Brown is also someone I like but he may have priced himself into BAE territory.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
epic_ wrote:
twisted wrote:

Would you trade a FRP to be 2nd in the West right now instead of 13th? It would be that with 10 more wins. The Lakers lost 10 games in this season when they couldn’t make one more play on their last significantly relevant possession. Phillyx2, Bostonx2, Sacx2, Charlotte, Dallas, Indy, Portland. Personally, I never liked the Turner/Heild for WB because I felt that it left too big a hole at PG by not replacing the production and just eliminating the negative wasn’t a big enough net gain. But I understood why others wanted it…and may still stand by their opinion. The excuse people made for Rob not making a move earlier is that it wouldn’t have moved the needle…yet if the Lakers had just 1 more player to make 1 more play or at least not mess it up the team would likely have 10 more wins than now and be in championship conversation as the 2nd seed in the West. It’s easy to speculate about the needle not being moved without evidence but there has been evidence now with the 10 losses on the last possession that at least 1 better player, let alone 3 or 5, would have made a difference in the 10 games lost on a stupid mistake on the last possession. Even if they only won half of those they would be 4th in the West right now with 5 more wins.

Congrats to Rob at the trade deadline…masterful job. But everyone…media, fans, coaches, players…knew that a trade was necessary before training camp and Rob did nothing. I’m not defending the Heild/Turner trade but I’m not letting Rob off the hook as I praise him for a job well done at the trade deadline when his inaction may have wasted a season by not making a trade when it should had been done.

I believe the thing to have been done is to have jumped on Indy initially for Brogdon/Heild/Turner for WB/THT/2FRPs, sway TJ Warren away from BKN with tpMLE and then Nunn for Hachi…not saying I prefer that to what we have now but I’ll take that and a top 4 seed.

#1 in West + Championship if done b4 training camp:
Turner Bryant Jones
AD Hachi Gabriel
LBJ TJ Warren TBjr
Heild Reaves Max
Brogdan Schroeder

Props to Rob for giving us hope. He did a great job on player acquisition, future flexibility, and did it with a relatively low cost…I’m actually happier with the players we have now and the cost it took to get them than I could have ever imagined with any of the previous trade scenarios. But if it was slightly not as good and cost more but changed 10 spots in the standings it still would have been better had it been done before the season started.

Anyway, I’m guilty so I’ll look in the mirror before pointing fingers…but it's water under the bridge, now the focus should be on success going forward not complaining about fans that wanted a trade done earlier or mistakes Rob did or didn’t do.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Any happy words for our GM today?

Anyone who predicted this bank heist of Westbrook and some vending machines snacks for Hachi, Vanderbilt, Beasley, DLO and what looks at least like a sure-fire lock into the play-in round.....

Please stand up and take a bow. Be sure to show your receipts of your support the past few months...

Everyone else, the plate fulls of crow are being served in the parking lot, be sure to chew slowly, there may be some (bitter) bones you will have to grind up first.

I'll take my plate now sir as well.

We have made some really bad deals, as everyone one in LA knows. Rob also has made at least two good deals - the first helped get us a ring. Time will tell with the second deal. But if we keep the gang together, this could be a great team next year with a full season together.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Imagine if he had done a decent job of adding assets before the season, we might not have to ask Lebron and AD to play almost 40 minutes on bad wheels to win a February game in Dallas.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:42 pm    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:

Vet (over 30 yrs old)

Lebron 2003 - 1st 1st
Davis 2012 - 1st 1st
Dennis 2013 - 1st 17th

That's a great breakdown regarding the overall age of our current roster. But, AD and Schroder are 29, as of the moment. The only Laker currently on the roster over 30, is LeBron (38).
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:00 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Imagine if he had done a decent job of adding assets before the season, we might not have to ask Lebron and AD to play almost 40 minutes on bad wheels to win a February game in Dallas.

Tough to argue against this. The roster construction last offseason (and, frankly, the prior offseason as well) was laughably bad.

Very happy the Lakers made the moves they did at the trade deadline, but they shot themselves in the foot by putting that roster out there for the first 2/3 of the season. Now LeBron and AD have to go full blown 2012-13 Kobe just to give us a shot at the playoffs.
Job 12:10 - In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all mankind.
Mk 8:36 - For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:15 pm    Post subject:

What makes me feel good about Pelinka’s redemption is that I always defended him when others were criticizing him and hoping that he gets fired, he’s a good GM it’s just that he gets super aggressive when it comes to making dramatic changes when he doesn’t need to
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:36 pm    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Tough to argue against this. The roster construction last offseason (and, frankly, the prior offseason as well) was laughably bad.

Very happy the Lakers made the moves they did at the trade deadline, but they shot themselves in the foot by putting that roster out there for the first 2/3 of the season. Now LeBron and AD have to go full blown 2012-13 Kobe just to give us a shot at the playoffs.

Good thing the role players have actually been carrying the load these last few games. Vanderbilt especially tonight.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
What makes me feel good about Pelinka’s redemption is that I always defended him when others were criticizing him and hoping that he gets fired, he’s a good GM it’s just that he gets super aggressive when it comes to making dramatic changes when he doesn’t need to

Pelinka, Rich Paul, and Fizdale made this deal happen.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Pelinka, Rich Paul, and Fizdale made this deal happen.

Bron, AD aka Klutch met with Westbrook that summer and recruited him to Lakers. There was so much pressure on Pelinka to get Westbrook instead of Buddy Hield trade. So let's give Klutch a well deserved credit for Westbrook move as well. 😂
giordan0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:28 pm    Post subject:

It's really up to Ham now, Rob has given him a good roster to work with now.

And shout out to getting Vando, kids a beast on D.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:37 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Sometimes you just have to say mistakes were made and you’re moving forward. No reason to dwell on it now.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject:

I had to do some reflecting on the total transformation of this team after 2/9. Every move RP executed was on point like a puzzle being solved. For that to happen he had a plan.

Something tells me that the Westbrook debacle, which was anticipated by many on this board, was not his plan. It seems that he caved in to the noise from a couple of players who had too much sayso in the matter.

I said all of that to give RP serious props for formulating and executing some very deft moves. It looks so much like he learned a serious lesson from a serious mistake.
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
I had to do some reflecting on the total transformation of this team after 2/9. Every move RP executed was on point like a puzzle being solved. For that to happen he had a plan.

Something tells me that the Westbrook debacle, which was anticipated by many on this board, was not his plan. It seems that he caved in to the noise from a couple of players who had too much sayso in the matter.

I said all of that to give RP serious props for formulating and executing some very deft moves. It looks so much like he learned a serious lesson from a serious mistake.

The Westbrook thing happened.. who truly bears the weight of that decision is still unclear.. but we all have our suspicions.

There were numerous other weird decisions over the last couple of years.

The big picture cost was the 21-22 season was a complete waste, sans developing Austin Reaves.

This season was shaping up as another complete waste.. until the trades. The value of what was sent out versus what was brought in is, in my opinion, absolutely lopsided in favor of the Lakers... in a big, big way.

The Lakers brought in 2 absolute ballers.. in Vando and Russell.. who, each on their own, are significant upgrades to Westbrook. Significant. Especially when you consider fit.

Beasley is struggling.. but is a higher-tier 3 point guy. Didn't have any of those.

Rui is a big, fairly athletic guy.. who can get buckets. Very valuable off the bench and his best ball may be ahead of him.

Bamba is.. interesting. Bummed he got hurt so we couldn't see more. I do wonder what he could look like in the rotation with an entire offseason.

Rob crushed it, period, in restoring this roster. Let's hope they don't fall into the "overpay for a 3rd star" trap again this offseason. They have something pretty close to that in Dlo.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:56 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

We may never know what went on behind the scenes. However, the more I've thought about it, the less that I think that this was a plan. Instead, I think Pelinka exploited an unexpected opportunity. He deserves credit for this, but the key word is "unexpected." The trade market played out differently from what anyone expected.

Going into the season, a lot of people expected a buyers' market, because they thought that this season would be a tankathon. They were wrong. Then a lot of people thought it would be a sellers' market. This didn't quite work out, though we did get the Irving and Durant trades. Instead, the market was mostly stagnant.

So in the end, there were some teams that wanted to make moves, but the market was stagnant, and several teams that were expected to pull the trigger (Raptors, Knicks, Heat, etc.) mostly stood pat except for minor moves. The TWolves wanted to move on from Russell and liked the idea of getting Conley back. The Jazz wanted to move on from Beasley and Conley (and, quite likely, pick up a few extra ping pong balls). By that point, the balance due on the Westbrook contract was greatly reduced. The Magic were ready to move on from Bamba. I expect that all of those teams considered their moves with us to be a win. We wound up with some problematic contract issues next summer, but we were looking for the short-term win.

So I'll give Pelinka credit for taking advantage of the situation. More importantly, I'm relieved that he seems to be able to work with a number of other GMs in a productive way. At least for the moment, this dispels the concern that he can't make deals without hemorrhaging assets.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:28 pm    Post subject:

SGSD32 wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

The Westbrook thing happened.. who truly bears the weight of that decision is still unclear.. but we all have our suspicions.

There were numerous other weird decisions over the last couple of years.

The big picture cost was the 21-22 season was a complete waste, sans developing Austin Reaves.

This season was shaping up as another complete waste.. until the trades. The value of what was sent out versus what was brought in is, in my opinion, absolutely lopsided in favor of the Lakers... in a big, big way.

The Lakers brought in 2 absolute ballers.. in Vando and Russell.. who, each on their own, are significant upgrades to Westbrook. Significant. Especially when you consider fit.

Beasley is struggling.. but is a higher-tier 3 point guy. Didn't have any of those.

Rui is a big, fairly athletic guy.. who can get buckets. Very valuable off the bench and his best ball may be ahead of him.

Bamba is.. interesting. Bummed he got hurt so we couldn't see more. I do wonder what he could look like in the rotation with an entire offseason.

Rob crushed it, period, in restoring this roster. Let's hope they don't fall into the "overpay for a 3rd star" trap again this offseason. They have something pretty close to that in Dlo.

The great fact is that not only is D'Angelo a better fit with serious skills, but he's not going to cost us anywhere near the $47mil Westbrook was being paid. We have some serious pieces to compete now. Of course injuries could undermine the best of plans.

This team needs/deserves to remain as fully in tact as possible going into the off season. D'Angelo was wondering out loud "what would this team look like with a full training camp under its belt?"

I wonder too.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:57 pm    Post subject:

I think he learned from his mistake. Never let players run the ship and have high level of input in roster decisions. It tends to backfire. Clippers are learning that the hard way. Mavs are learning about that with Kidd and possibly Irving.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 207 of 243
Jump to: