OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 242, 243, 244  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject:

Hey, chalk me up as a dude who thinks the that the Trae talk is the foundation for the consolation prize for LeBron to NY (or chasing Bronny). Klutch keeps their clients Trae, AD and Murray happy while ultimately supporting the King and damage controlling the Lakers
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:44 am    Post subject:

Let see if he can convince Dinwiddie with less money than Dallas
samnizam
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Good job Rob…
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:59 am    Post subject:

Everyone talking about Trae and Mitchell, but some other noticeable FA in their class includes:

Jayson Tatum
Kyrie Irving
Jimmy Butler
Paul George
Jalen Brunson
Rudy Gobert
Jamal Murray
Brandon Ingram
Khris Middleton
Julius Randle
Myles Turner
Aaron Gordon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMbMOt3WEAAa9JP?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Took probably the best duo in a minute & had them play-in around with Father Time for the majority of their tenure together just to be a postseason qualifier. It’s proven now that that bubble team is the outlier. #RobbedOfGreatness

Dude got to such heights living off that Mamba euphoria, but bruh, remind me why our bball ops have U for?

It's always been about loving those that are great, now let me say why I'm the biggest hater…I hate the way you walk, the way you talk, the way you dress, the way you sneak into Buss’s trust. The boy always telling fairy tales…when I’m fed lines, I prefer they be non-fic. GM’n…he know none ‘bout that!

These references probably gonna fly over most your heads, so let me be direct. Ham could disappear, a 3rd name star could reappear, Bron/AD could take more magic pills allowing them to duck their medical bills…none of that is as important as getting rid of lame. I don’t want you GM’n my team no more. Stop!
#FOh
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:57 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GMbMOt3WEAAa9JP?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

Took probably the best duo in a minute & had them play-in around with Father Time for the majority of their tenure together just to be a postseason qualifier. It’s proven now that that bubble team is the outlier. #RobbedOfGreatness

Dude got to such heights living off that Mamba euphoria, but bruh, remind me why our bball ops have U for?

It's always been about loving those that are great, now let me say why I'm the biggest hater…I hate the way you walk, the way you talk, the way you dress, the way you sneak into Buss’s trust. The boy always telling fairy tales…when I’m fed lines, I prefer they be non-fic. GM’n…he know none ‘bout that!

These references probably gonna fly over most your heads, so let me be direct. Ham could disappear, a 3rd name star could reappear, Bron/AD could take more magic pills allowing them to duck their medical bills…none of that is as important as getting rid of lame. I don’t want you GM’n my team no more. Stop!
#FOh

preach!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 7:45 am    Post subject:

Dear Mr. Pelinka,

I have two important questions.

1. After winning the championship in 2020, did you think defense and rebounding was not as important as offense for bigs when you signed Gasol and Harrell to replace Howard and McGee?

2. Why did you hire a rookie headcoach for a team that was still contending for a championship? Darvin Ham has literally been trying to figure things out and learning on the job.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Dear Mr. Pelinka,

I have two important questions.

1. After winning the championship in 2020, did you think defense and rebounding was not as important as offense for bigs when you signed Gasol and Harrell to replace Howard and McGee?

2. Why did you hire a rookie headcoach for a team that was still contending for a championship? Darvin Ham has literally been trying to figure things out and learning on the job.

I like that Rob is aggressive but IMO he just has no plan ever and over pays to get deals done. Every summer is different and seems to have no clear intention or direction. We had a big, defensive, high IQ championship team and he revamped it majorly instead of adding to it slowly while keeping the core. Then tore that down in favor of a big 3 plus geriatrics. Then big 3 plus scrubs after 2/3 of the roster retired. Then moved off the big 3 concept with defense and speed which still lacked size. Then instead of adding to what again worked last year, added no size or veterans and here we are.

I mean look at how we've just given away 1sts:

Danny Green, 1st for Dennis

- We got one season out of him then he bailed. 1st round pick was used on Jaden McDaniels. Two picks later was Desmond Bane

KCP, Kuzma, Harell, 1st for Russ, 24 2nd, 28 2nd

- Gave up two key role players (not to mentioned letting Caruso go bc we had Russ), and a 1st that could have been used on Herb Jones, Cam Thomas, Quinton Grimes

Russ, 27 1st for Vando, D'lo, Beasley

- WCF birth but Beasley walked, D'lo might walk, Vando missed his first full year here and that is 3 years away.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 5:13 pm    Post subject:

congrats to the 2024 nba hustle award winner alex caruso, and thank you rob for picking tht over him!
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
congrats to the 2024 nba hustle award winner alex caruso, and thank you rob for picking tht over him!

And JaVale Magee over Brook Lopez
And Deandre Jordan over Andre Drummond
And Gabe Vincent/DJ Augustine/Avery Bradley over Dennis Schroeder

Tough defense - Schroeder/Caruso/Vando/AD/Lopez
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 4:49 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

LG doesn't like defense

lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 5:00 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

LG doesn't like defense

That's why every year they drool over offensive guys like Dame and Trae. LG and Pelinka love offense!

Offense gets the glory. Defense and rebounding are useless.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject:

This is the guy who needs to get fired... But he wont
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 7:11 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
This is the guy who needs to get fired... But he wont

Yama
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject:

lmao so he gets to just pick his 3rd head coach... no accountabilty in this org, he gets such a long leash because he was kobe's agent
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject:

Yama wrote:
lmao so he gets to just pick his 3rd head coach... no accountabilty in this org, he gets such a long leash because he was kobe's agent

Ya he's terrible. He was the one that hired Ham in the first place.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject:

Hollinger’s sobering state of the Lakers.

Quote:
When breaking down the Lakers’ season, it’s important to understand what an ordinary team this was despite it having two transcendent stars. As good as LeBron James and Anthony Davis are, the Lakers weren’t notably effective even when the two shared the court (plus-4.0 points per 100 possessions). Including playoffs and the Play-In, the team was 42-30 in the 72 games both played. This, mind you, was with near-pristine health from the best players; L.A.’s top four guys only missed 23 games all season.

The 2023 playoff run through a squishy portion of the West bracket may have allowed for too much optimism to seep in as the Lakers mostly ran it back with a team that won 43 regular-season games; that earned them 47 this season, with the same 0.6 net rating as a year earlier. They at least won the inaugural In-Season Tournament, but after that, their main impact on the season came as extras in Nuggets highlight videos.

The Lakers seem headed toward making coach Darvin Ham the sacrificial lamb for this. While nitpickers can hack away at some shortcomings (too much Taurean Prince, too much blaming injuries to random second-line players), it was jarring throughout the playoffs how little optionality he had with this roster. Only three players showed up for the Denver series, while the rules required him to play five; bigger picture, except for the mostly injured Jarred Vanderbilt, not one of their bench options would have been among the 12 best players on, say, the Golden State Warriors or New Orleans Pelicans. He auditioned them all too.

While replacing the coach is unlikely to do much beyond the margins, replacing all the awful bench players with halfway decent ones might. That’s the glass-half-full take: The Lakers had no playable backup center, no wing stopper and way too little perimeter shooting off the pine (one reason Ham clung to the Prince life raft a bit too readily) and still managed to win more than they lost. Similar to Phoenix, their top-heavy roster left them counting heavily on minimum or near-minimum guys who weren’t anywhere near good enough.

If they’re ever to recover from the post-championship mistakes of letting Alex Caruso walk and trading Kentavious Caldwell-Pope and Kyle Kuzma for Russell Westbrook, this summer will be the best opportunity. The Lakers have a manageable cap situation, are likely to have their own first-round pick (New Orleans can take it or defer the choice to 2025, with smart money on the latter) and will be able to trade two future firsts (in 2029 and 2031) after the draft in addition to pick No. 17 this year.

James could opt out of his deal, but let’s assume for a minute he’ll be back (which seems to be everyone’s default assumption), possibly on a three-year deal that would pay him slightly less but allow him to add a no-trade clause.

The bigger issue in L.A. is whether the Lakers should use what assets remain in pursuit of a third star. I outlined in February the contours of a potential Trae Young deal, for instance, and that hasn’t really changed, nor has the noise gone away. As ever, the Lakers will be in the conversation for virtually every star player who expresses even a scintilla of unhappiness over the next two months.

But keep in mind, they’re limited by first-round picks and a lack of expiring contracts, and the tax apron will be a factor in any aggregation attempts. Additionally, D’Angelo Russell opting out of his $18 million deal for next season would take an important salary-matching piece out of the picture; he might opt out just for that reason, to have more say in his next destination. That’s one reason Young is a fixation; this might be the best they can do.

That ignores the bigger, more jarring question for L.A.: Is this team actually good enough to bother going all-in like this? The team is committed to chasing the short term through 2027, when it owes a first to Utah, but after that, anything goes. Do the Lakers really want to be surrendering picks in 2029 and 2031 to try to get this team somewhere above seventh in the West playoff pecking order? Or is it time to make a different bet?

The Lakers have more assets at their disposal than the Suns, but not by much. They could potentially use their nontaxpayer midlevel exception for another depth piece, but otherwise are leaning on minimum guys to fill out the roster and hoping for another healthy year from a nearing-40 James and Davis. Adding another star would help, but one wonders if a less radical makeover — such as a lower-stakes swap of this year’s draft pick and some aggregated unwanted salaries (name literally any bench player) for a genuinely starting-caliber two-way wing — could give them nearly as much short-term bite without the long-term downside of dealing two unprotected firsts that convey long after James has retired.

Either way, it’s getting harder to see a scenario where the sunset years for James are awash in team glory, unless the Lakers just kill it on minimum free agents. There are too many holes and no good young players aside from Austin Reaves, and the new CBA constraints make it difficult to backfill mistakes even in glamor markets.

Laker_Jocker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:33 am    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:
Everyone talking about Trae and Mitchell, but some other noticeable FA in their class includes:

Jayson Tatum
Kyrie Irving
Jimmy Butler
Paul George
Jalen Brunson
Rudy Gobert
Jamal Murray
Brandon Ingram
Khris Middleton
Julius Randle
Myles Turner
Aaron Gordon

Two birds, one stone -> Lakers learning again no rebounds, no rings + robbing Peter to pay Paul

I could also see Kyrie being a thing (yet again)
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject:

3 roster spots tied up next season to useless reddish, wood, and hayes. the genius of rob.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:36 am    Post subject:

Pelinka should get GM of the Year consideration for managing to not get fired despite multiple head coach firings.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:38 am    Post subject:

I agree with Hollinger about the future draft picks, sacrificing them for an uncertain now seems risky.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:39 am    Post subject:

Hit the podium, Robert.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Pelinka should get GM of the Year consideration for managing to not get fired despite multiple head coach firings.

ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

I had calculated that Pelinka wouldn't fire Ham as I had assumed that Jeannie, while clueless, would not want to lose face and be ridiculed for getting conned yet again by Pelinka. Well, I was wrong, either Pelinka slimed his way out of yet another debcale OR - the exit interviews (Lebron? AD?) indicted Hamm to such a degree that Pelinka/Jeannie could scapegoat with ease.

(Oh Hamm made his share of mistakes but as I've said before Hamm's issues pale in comparison to the mismanagement up top)
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject:

What if it was a "roster issue"? Pelinka didn't get a big for Ham and DLo was also a failed experiment. Jeanie needs to reconsider her bestie GM as well.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 242, 243, 244  Next
Page 243 of 244
Jump to: