OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2675, 2676, 2677, 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
27 wrote:

I'm late to the party. why are we discussing Payton jersey sales? Who cares?

And just off the little i saw on this page alone -- I'd bet my car Payton's jersey will not be a hot seller lmao but to each their own.

I joined late too. I thought it was about Peyton Manning or Sean Payton.

Had to look up Pelicans/Payton to find out it's about Elfrid Payton.

that is interesting.....Elfrid is definitely a distant 3rd in popularity in New Orleans among the Peyton/Payton's. My guess is the Manning family are still royalty in the Big Easy.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
https://www.hothothoops.com/2018/8/1/17638510/dwyane-wade-hints-at-return-nba-season-16-miami-heat-los-angeles-lakers-lebron-james

Who would we waive to make room for Wade?

Under contract:
1) Ingram
2) Kuzma
3) Lonzo
4) Hart
5) Zubac
6) Deng

Draft Picks:
1) Mo
2) Svi
3) Bonga

Free Agents
1) Rondo
2) Stephenson
3) McGee
4) Beasley
5) LeBron
6) KCP
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:24 pm    Post subject:

^^^honestly just do not see Wade coming to the Lakers. Doubt Lebron even would want that dynamic again. Still think he plays another in South Beach or may go to China. My money is on South Beach.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:30 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
^^^honestly just do not see Wade coming to the Lakers. Doubt Lebron even would want that dynamic again. Still think he plays another in South Beach or may go to China. My money is on South Beach.

How realistic is China for him? I know he has kids. That's a huge sacrifice to move your kids to China. I don't even know what the parental custody situation is between him and his ex. Also, his son is a prospect. Where would he play in China?

Would be surprised if he actually moved his family to China for the next 3 years. Too much strain on the family.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:35 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:
https://www.hothothoops.com/2018/8/1/17638510/dwyane-wade-hints-at-return-nba-season-16-miami-heat-los-angeles-lakers-lebron-james

Under contract:
1) Ingram
2) Kuzma
3) Lonzo
4) Hart
5) Zubac
6) Deng

Draft Picks:
1) Mo
2) Svi
3) Bonga

Free Agents
1) Rondo
2) Stephenson
3) McGee
4) Beasley
5) LeBron
6) KCP

If the Lakers want to maximize Deng's incentive on a buyout, they can waive and stretch him after Sept 1, taking the full hit for this season's salary this year and stretching his last year over three. At the same time, they give him 2 years of incentive to take less.

The flip side is that they could actually use him as salary ballast in trade or purge his salary entirely for a reasonable cost once he's an expiring deal. That requires you keep him on ice another year which may be undesireable.

If you need a roster spot, cutting Deng is an option.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersfan32 wrote:

Under contract:
1) Ingram
2) Kuzma
3) Lonzo
4) Hart
5) Zubac
6) Deng

Draft Picks:
1) Mo
2) Svi
3) Bonga

Free Agents
1) Rondo
2) Stephenson
3) McGee
4) Beasley
5) LeBron
6) KCP

If the Lakers want to maximize Deng's incentive on a buyout, they can waive and stretch him after Sept 1, taking the full hit for this season's salary this year and stretching his last year over three. At the same time, they give him 2 years of incentive to take less.

The flip side is that they could actually use him as salary ballast in trade or purge his salary entirely for a reasonable cost once he's an expiring deal. That requires you keep him on ice another year which may be undesireable.

If you need a roster spot, cutting Deng is an option.

What do you mean by 2 years of incentive to take less?

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Shabazz Napier was the back up PG for the 3rd best team in the West last year but all of a sudden he is inadequate as a back up despite being a better shooter and defender than Rondo. Despise him being productive as a starter in 9 games (16/4/4/1.8STL/43/38/86)

Rose colored glasses and all. The Pelicans don’t care that Rondo left, if Payton works out for them it will be a financial success.

Is that the same Payton, that two teams who needed point guards, decided to let go. And the Pelicans won't miss a guy that averaged 12/10 and 8 in last year's playoffs? OK.

yes....the Magic and Suns....we should all follow in their wise footsteps.

I know right. Phoenix traded a second round draft pick for Payton in February, and 5 months later decided he wasn't worth a new contact. They didn't actually upgrade the position either. Yet, our experts on this board expect him to have an impact with the Pelicans. Gotcha

just would not use those teams as examples....especially the Magic of wise choices. For example....the Bucks waived Brandon Jennings today....the same Brandon Jennings that the Magic traded away Tobias Harris to acquire. A Tobias Harris that was 23 years old coming off a 17 Points and 5 Rebound season.....and put up 19 & 6 for the Clippers last season while shooting over 41% from 3 @ the ripe age of 25.

So yeah, i think the Magic made a bad decision since Payton was putting up 13/6/4 with 2 steals last season in 28 MPG @ the age of 23. That is a PER 36 of 16/8/5 which I would think most would consider acceptable from a 23 year old PG in their 4th season? Most of the Magic's bad decisions was during the Rob Hennigan era (and he made many bad decisions), but although I love Hammond as a draft GM....not crazy about his GM decisions during his career either.

I wouldnt have minded Payton as a back up but his defense is seriously lacking which doesnt show in the basic stats and he still hasnt developed a a consistent jumper. On a sub 3M dollar contract though the Pelicans cant complain.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
I wouldnt have minded Payton as a back up but his defense is seriously lacking which doesnt show in the basic stats and he still hasnt developed a a consistent jumper. On a sub 3M dollar contract though the Pelicans cant complain.

he showed early signs of being a decent defender, but you're correct in it never really developed and almost seems to have regressed.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Two years on his deal. Letting him go now lets him recouperate whatever he gives back in a buyout in two seasons.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Two years on his deal. Letting him go now lets him recouperate whatever he gives back in a buyout in two seasons.

Ok. I can't see Deng getting another contract in the NBA, even at a min salary.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Thibs may give him a spot on the roster
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:
Shabazz Napier was the back up PG for the 3rd best team in the West last year but all of a sudden he is inadequate as a back up despite being a better shooter and defender than Rondo. Despise him being productive as a starter in 9 games (16/4/4/1.8STL/43/38/86)

Rose colored glasses and all. The Pelicans don’t care that Rondo left, if Payton works out for them it will be a financial success.

Is that the same Payton, that two teams who needed point guards, decided to let go. And the Pelicans won't miss a guy that averaged 12/10 and 8 in last year's playoffs? OK.

I know right. Phoenix traded a second round draft pick for Payton in February, and 5 months later decided he wasn't worth a new contact. They didn't actually upgrade the position either. Yet, our experts on this board expect him to have an impact with the Pelicans. Gotcha

Orlando traded him for nothing when their only other PG was freaking D.J Augustin.

Then Phoenix let's him go when he's seemingly a good fit with their SG/SF/C needing the ball a lot and don't really sign anyone else.

And yet people expect this guy will be better than Rondo, a proven playoff player, who JUST played one of the best series of his career busting the ass of All-NBA Lillard and his 3rd seed Blazers, when the previous year he was doing the same to the Boston Celtics and IT the MVP candidate before going down with an injury.

If we did the same exercise for Rondo, it wouldn't look that good either.

The Mavs kicked him off the team mid-playoffs. He wasn't even given any playoff money - which was decided by his teammates.

Sacramento bailed on him after one year. Chicago waived him after 1 year. New Orleans only signed him to a 1 year 3.3m contract.

He had issues at 3 of his last 4 stops and 3 of the 4 places decided they'd be better without him.

What gives me optimism about Rondo is he has played the majority of his career on winning/playoff teams while playing starter or near starter minutes.. Is that a reflection of Rondo, the teams or a combination of both? I am not sure.

If I am not mistaken he has stated a desire to transition into coaching after his playing days are over. Hopefully Magic is the one person who he respects enough to listen, learn and take advice from to realize his conduct with the Lakers maybe his last opportunity to leave a positive impression on NBA front offices.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rondo doesn't even last the full year on the Lakers. I can easily see him causing issues if he is playing under 20 minutes a game and not playing late 4th quarter minutes.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Orlando traded him for nothing when their only other PG was freaking D.J Augustin.

Then Phoenix let's him go when he's seemingly a good fit with their SG/SF/C needing the ball a lot and don't really sign anyone else.

And yet people expect this guy will be better than Rondo, a proven playoff player, who JUST played one of the best series of his career busting the ass of All-NBA Lillard and his 3rd seed Blazers, when the previous year he was doing the same to the Boston Celtics and IT the MVP candidate before going down with an injury.

The Mavs kicked him off the team mid-playoffs. He wasn't even given any playoff money - which was decided by his teammates.

Sacramento bailed on him after one year. Chicago waived him after 1 year. New Orleans only signed him to a 1 year 3.3m contract.

He had issues at 3 of his last 4 stops and 3 of the 4 places decided they'd be better without him.

What gives me optimism about Rondo is he has played the majority of his career on winning/playoff teams while playing starter or near starter minutes.. Is that a reflection of Rondo, the teams or a combination of both? I am not sure.

If I am not mistaken he has stated a desire to transition into coaching after his playing days are over. Hopefully Magic is the one person who he respects enough to listen, learn and take advice from to realize his conduct with the Lakers maybe his last opportunity to leave a positive impression on NBA front offices.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rondo doesn't even last the full year on the Lakers. I can easily see him causing issues if he is playing under 20 minutes a game and not playing late 4th quarter minutes.

I guess you don't know Rondo well. He hasn't caused issues for any teams other than the toxic stint in Sacramento years back. Rondo will be playing more than 20 mins a game especially as inconsistent and hurt as Lonzo might be. You are giving Rondo a bad rap. He is a good locker room guy and professional.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
I guess you don't know Rondo well. He hasn't caused issues for any teams other than the toxic stint in Sacramento years back. Rondo will be playing more than 20 mins a game especially as inconsistent and hurt as Lonzo might be. You are giving Rondo a bad rap. He is a good locker room guy and professional.

I think Rondo will be fine....but he had no issues that I recall in Sacramento....but he left Boston on less than best terms....and in Dallas, they sent him home....as in they chose to pay him to stay away from the team.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

What issues did Rondo have with the Kings? He came in after Dallas, lead the league in assist, and got a RAISE from the Bulls. The Bulls didn't pick up his option AFTER trading Butler. How is that Rondo's fault?

No problem, he goes to the Pelicans, and they are third in assist, while he is top 10. He UPS his performance in the playoffs when he averages 12/10 and 8. He leaves the Pelicans for a RAISE from the Lakers.

You don't punish a guy for being on three teams in three years when he elevates that team, and helps them win. Rondo was WANTED by other teams, Payton, not so much.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

I think Rondo will be fine....but he had no issues that I recall in Sacramento....but he left Boston on less than best terms....and in Dallas, they sent him home....as in they chose to pay him to stay away from the team.

Bulls players and Pelican players loved Rondo, let’s not act like all the NBA players are darlings and none of them have some sort of knucklehead attitude.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
27 wrote:

And just off the little i saw on this page alone -- I'd bet my car Payton's jersey will not be a hot seller lmao but to each their own.

that is interesting.....Elfrid is definitely a distant 3rd in popularity in New Orleans among the Peyton/Payton's. My guess is the Manning family are still royalty in the Big Easy.

Of course they are. And I am biased when it comes to Sean, he was my QB my last two years in college. I went to a lot of games in the Cajundome, almost always a sellout. They love their own.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:25 am    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

Right, Dallas booting him and his former teammates voting not to give him a share of title money was because he was such a good locker room guy.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
27 wrote:

Of course they are. And I am biased when it comes to Sean, he was my QB my last two years in college. I went to a lot of games in the Cajundome, almost always a sellout. They love their own.

I dated a girl for a couple years in high school....her family was from Mississippi (not too far from New Orleans)....and I became pretty close to her and her family....even visiting their hometown in Mississippi with them. If you had a problem with Archie Manning....or any of his offspring, you had a problem with them.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject:

am I the last guy to learn that the backdrop on the Get Up set is not really a window overlooking the river? I thought it was real....but it is just video screens.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:

Thibs may give him a spot on the roster

Deng runs a development program for players from Africa. Sticking in the NBA, even in an end of the bench mentor role has value for him. He's easily in line for a J Howard type of role.
ZoTimeLakers
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
AirKobe8 wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

I'd be stunned if Rondo was not on the roster at the end of the year. Every time that his name is brought up, Magic and Rob have talked about the benefits that he'll provide in the playoffs. Unless we're out of it early, I don't see why we'd be looking to move off of him. He's going to be crucial to go to in big games this season against opposing bench units or even if (and I don't suspect he will) Lonzo struggles in the playoffs.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
am I the last guy to learn that the backdrop on the Get Up set is not really a window overlooking the river? I thought it was real....but it is just video screens.

Will not watch until they dump Beadle. I don't mind homers from other teams but she carries the same Spurs arrogance as their entire organization and hate her Laker takes. I'd imagine the Jump is also fake af, but that's professional television production for you.

Didn't expect this thread to devolve into a pages-long discussion on Payton and New Orleans fandom/economy, eagerly awaiting it's death and our migration to the 2019-2020 thread.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Will not watch until they dump Beadle. I don't mind homers from other teams but she carries the same Spurs arrogance as their entire organization and hate her Laker takes. I'd imagine the Jump is also fake af, but that's professional television production for you.

Didn't expect this thread to devolve into a pages-long discussion on Payton and New Orleans fandom/economy, eagerly awaiting it's death and our migration to the 2019-2020 thread.

think she is on vacation....do not think I have seen her in recent weeks. I do not watch closely...just on the television sometimes, and I will pay attention of they bounce to something that interest me. If I recall.....Mark Teixeira has been on set this week with Greenberg.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

Yes, I think that our roster is set, free agency is over.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2675, 2676, 2677, 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2676 of 2680
Jump to: