The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 5:42 pm    Post subject:

Saw Manchester By The Sea (2016). Flick Casey Affleck won Oscar for. Depressed, ashamed, guilty guy is his meal ticket, mang. Plays that kind of character to a high level, the Robert Ford character was another w/ those elements. The "aaaaand-daaaah" was a good touch in this scene. He has a good handle on his voice, making it warble at right moments. The Ford character was replete w/ those. Great actor. Leaves Ben in the dust, tho Ben is role specific. Boiler Room character was good, same kinda thing as Baldwin in GGR. The role was good for him. And he did the best acting in Dazed And Confused as the loser bully, sorry Matthew fans. "All right x3" notwithstanding.

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I watched Sound of Freedom. It is a true story about a guy who rescued hundreds of children from sex slavery. He rescues at least 56 children in the film. I’m still trying to figure out why this film is being so politicized, I think rescuing child sex victims should be a universal cause.

If you have heard anything about this film from the media, I suggest you see it for yourself and make your own opinion. There is no conspiracy angle, no political angle, it’s just a true story about a man rescuing children.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I watched Sound of Freedom. It is a true story about a guy who rescued hundreds of children from sex slavery. He rescues at least 56 children in the film. I’m still trying to figure out why this film is being so politicized, I think rescuing child sex victims should be a universal cause.

If you have heard anything about this film from the media, I suggest you see it for yourself and make your own opinion. There is no conspiracy angle, no political angle, it’s just a true story about a man rescuing children.

It’s pretty thinly veiled QAnon bait. It’s being politicized because that was the whole point.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

It’s pretty thinly veiled QAnon bait. It’s being politicized because that was the whole point.

Hmm, thats interesting. Did you see the film? which part was Qanon?

It was finished over 5 years ago, and pretty closely based on the true story, they even have surveillance footage of the major bust where over 50 children were rescued.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:13 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

It was finished over 5 years ago, and pretty closely based on the true story, they even have surveillance footage of the major bust where over 50 children were rescued.

I haven’t seen it and won’t be seeing it. Child trafficking is a main cog of QAnon conspiracy: that democrats torture kids and drink their blood. This is the publicly stated belief of the star of the film who happens to be one of the most prominent QAnon turds. Doesn’t take a lot of work to piece together what the intention is of a film with that subject matter starting that dumdum, especially now that the film is being championed by every MAGA chud with a following. I’m sure the film avoids being overtly political on the surface. Child trafficking is, of course, a real and terrible thing and might make an interesting film if it weren’t in the hands of such bad faith people with obvious and despicable agendas.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I haven’t seen it and won’t be seeing it. Child trafficking is a main cog of QAnon conspiracy: that democrats torture kids and drink their blood. This is the publicly stated belief of the star of the film who happens to be one of the most prominent QAnon turds. Doesn’t take a lot of work to piece together what the intention is of a film with that subject matter starting that dumdum, especially now that the film is being championed by every MAGA chud with a following. I’m sure the film avoids being overtly political on the surface. Child trafficking is, of course, a real and terrible thing and might make an interesting film if it weren’t in the hands of such bad faith people with obvious and despicable agendas.

The film has nothing about blood drinking, nothing hinted or explicit about this. It is all based on the true story of Tim Ballard who rescued hundreds of children from sex slavery. It even has surveillance footage from the major bust where over 50 children were rescued. I really think people should watch the film before they make these types of assumptions.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

The film has nothing about blood drinking, nothing hinted or explicit about this. It is all based on the true story of Tim Ballard who rescued hundreds of children from sex slavery. It even has surveillance footage from the major bust where over 50 children were rescued. I really think people should watch the film before they make these types of assumptions.

It’s not an assumption. It’s the publicly stated belief of the movie’s lead. The one who is out selling the movie and using it as a vehicle to promote this stuff. Of course the movie isn’t depicting this overtly. It would be dismissed outright. That’s not how you recruit new people to your cause. Consider the source of the stuff you’re consuming.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 5:31 pm    Post subject:

focus wrote:
waterman40 wrote:
Anyone see the new Indiana Jones movie? Is it worth it to see Grandpa Harrison Ford in the role? I thought they already made this movie with The Last Crusade, with Sean Connery chasing birds with an umbrella........
It was a lot of fun! Definitely worth seeing with great action, beautiful scenes and scenery, and I haven't seen Fleabag with Phoebe Waller-Bridge yet, but she's really charismatic and funny. Her sidekick is a good young character. Of course, with 70 or 80 year old actor jumping around you're going to have to suspend disbelief but that's par for this kind of movie anyway. We had a good time so I am surprised that it's considered a flop. But I guess movie flopness is all about whether a movie does well in Asia these days, right?

I saw it yesterday. Will not give anything away as far as plot, but I enjoyed it. Harrison Ford is a legend, so it's one of those things where I tend to appreciate movies or shows with him in it while you can. (I didn't feel that way for the last Indiana Jones installment, both because it was so terrible and because he wasn't as old as he is now.) There is some poking fun at the character's age (which isn't supposed to actually be as old as Mr. Ford is himself), which I liked. I thought Waller-Bridge's character was too annoying for her first 20-30 minutes or so on screen, but I did enjoy the movie overall.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:08 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

It’s not an assumption. It’s the publicly stated belief of the movie’s lead. The one who is out selling the movie and using it as a vehicle to promote this stuff. Of course the movie isn’t depicting this overtly. It would be dismissed outright. That’s not how you recruit new people to your cause. Consider the source of the stuff you’re consuming.

You admit you haven’t seen the movie, yet you claim to know about it. You say the movies lead has these stated beliefs but he did not write the movie. The movie is tightly based on a true story. Do you think people who rescue children from sex slavery are Qanon whack jobs? I think the people rescuing these children are heroes. If you have a chance, watch the movie and form your own opinions. Since you haven’t seen the move your opinions have obviously been formed by someone else. There is no Qanon blood drinking conspiracy angle in the movie, if you watch it you will not be able to disagree and say that there is.

It’s a literal true story with surveillance footage of the bust. It’s a true story. What do you mean consider the source?
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2023 7:51 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

You admit you haven’t seen the movie, yet you claim to know about it. You say the movies lead has these stated beliefs but he did not write the movie. The movie is tightly based on a true story. Do you think people who rescue children from sex slavery are Qanon whack jobs? I think the people rescuing these children are heroes. If you have a chance, watch the movie and form your own opinions. Since you haven’t seen the move your opinions have obviously been formed by someone else. There is no Qanon blood drinking conspiracy angle in the movie, if you watch it you will not be able to disagree and say that there is.

It’s a literal true story with surveillance footage of the bust. It’s a true story. What do you mean consider the source?

We don’t need to hijack the thread with this so this is the last I’ll say about it. This is a dumb little movie that is only getting attention by far right conservatives boosting its profile and QAnon dolts salivating over it. You asked why it was being made political and I explained why. The motives of the people that made the movie and are marketing the movie are clear. Obviously, those motives aren’t depicted explicitly in the movie. Cults don’t begin their pitch to newcomers with all the craziest stuff first. There’s a reason you don’t find out the real kooky Scientologist stuff until they’ve got their hooks deep into you. It’s entirely possible you and many others will have played their game by seeing this movie and not tumble down the rabbit hole they’ve intended. Cults don’t work by duping everyone. They work by duping just enough. When people tell you who they are: believe them.

Quote:
Actor Jim Caviezel, who used to be famous for starring in movies like “The Count of Monte Cristo” and “The Passion of the Christ,” joined an all-star lineup of far-right conspiracy theorists at a COVID-19 conspiracy “health and freedom” conference in Oklahoma on Friday night. And Caviezel spent at least part of his segment endorsing the false QAnon conspiracy theory regarding “the adrenochroming of children.”

This made-up theory states that rich people torture children so they can harvest their adrenaline, which the theory says has some unspecified rejuvenation properties. This nonsense, which is more or less just the plot of Pixar’s “Monsters, Inc.” has been at the bedrock of the QAnon #SaveTheChildren movement, which is more concerned with fake stories like this than with actually saving children who are the victims of human trafficking.

Caviezel joined quite the roster of right-wing conspiracy fans at the conference, which included names like Michael Flynn, Lin Wood, Sidney Powell and the My Pillow Guy, Mike Lindell, among many other far-right figures.

Caviezel was supposed to appear with a man named Tim Ballard, founder of the anti-trafficking organization Operation Underground Railroad. Ballard has been a sort of hero figure for QAnon adherents, and Caviezel played him in an obscure movie called “Sound of Freedom.” Caviezel said Ballard skipped the conference because “he’s down there saving children as we speak.” Though he didn’t elaborate on that at all.

At one point, the moderator asked Caviezel to explain this untrue conspiracy theory to attendees at the conference who might not know about it. Though he needn’t have bothered — when the host asked the crowd to raise their hands if they knew about “adrenochroming,” pretty much everyone in the crowd did so.

Here’s how Caviezel explained it.

“Essentially, you have adrenaline in your body,” Caviezel explained. “And when you are scared, you produce adrenaline. If you’re an athlete, you get in the fourth quarter, you have adrenaline that comes out of you. If a child knows he’s going to die, his body will secrete this adrenaline. And they have a lot of terms that they use that he [Ballard] takes me through, but it’s the worst horror I’ve ever seen. The screaming alone, even if I never, ever, ever saw it, it’s beyond — and these people that do it, umm, there will be no mercy for them.”

Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject:

When Trump hosts a screening of this movie with the people that made it and Caviezel, that tells you all you need to know about the motivations of the people that made it. They're exploiting a real problem for their own political purposes.

The previous post mentioned Caviezel's nonsense about child kidnappings to take their blood. Well, google "blood libel" and you'll see the history of that.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject:

I saw a short rental "Sisu". I was entertained. Always good watching Nazis get hurt.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

I saw Mission Impossible in IMAX. I was thoroughly bored for much of the movie, so I don't get the positive reviews. It was a bunch of uninteresting dialogue and the villain was forgettable. Much of the movie is Tom Cruise running. However, the last bit with the train was pretty good.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
I saw Mission Impossible in IMAX. I was thoroughly bored for much of the movie, so I don't get the positive reviews. It was a bunch of uninteresting dialogue and the villain was forgettable. Much of the movie is Tom Cruise running. However, the last bit with the train was pretty good.

I agree Wilt. On MI's scales, it's low on the totem poll. It didn't have the usual intrigue and action. That's what made the movie for me.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:40 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

We don’t need to hijack the thread with this so this is the last I’ll say about it. This is a dumb little movie that is only getting attention by far right conservatives boosting its profile and QAnon dolts salivating over it. You asked why it was being made political and I explained why. The motives of the people that made the movie and are marketing the movie are clear. Obviously, those motives aren’t depicted explicitly in the movie. Cults don’t begin their pitch to newcomers with all the craziest stuff first. There’s a reason you don’t find out the real kooky Scientologist stuff until they’ve got their hooks deep into you. It’s entirely possible you and many others will have played their game by seeing this movie and not tumble down the rabbit hole they’ve intended. Cults don’t work by duping everyone. They work by duping just enough. When people tell you who they are: believe them.

Quote:
Actor Jim Caviezel, who used to be famous for starring in movies like “The Count of Monte Cristo” and “The Passion of the Christ,” joined an all-star lineup of far-right conspiracy theorists at a COVID-19 conspiracy “health and freedom” conference in Oklahoma on Friday night. And Caviezel spent at least part of his segment endorsing the false QAnon conspiracy theory regarding “the adrenochroming of children.”

This made-up theory states that rich people torture children so they can harvest their adrenaline, which the theory says has some unspecified rejuvenation properties. This nonsense, which is more or less just the plot of Pixar’s “Monsters, Inc.” has been at the bedrock of the QAnon #SaveTheChildren movement, which is more concerned with fake stories like this than with actually saving children who are the victims of human trafficking.

Caviezel joined quite the roster of right-wing conspiracy fans at the conference, which included names like Michael Flynn, Lin Wood, Sidney Powell and the My Pillow Guy, Mike Lindell, among many other far-right figures.

Caviezel was supposed to appear with a man named Tim Ballard, founder of the anti-trafficking organization Operation Underground Railroad. Ballard has been a sort of hero figure for QAnon adherents, and Caviezel played him in an obscure movie called “Sound of Freedom.” Caviezel said Ballard skipped the conference because “he’s down there saving children as we speak.” Though he didn’t elaborate on that at all.

At one point, the moderator asked Caviezel to explain this untrue conspiracy theory to attendees at the conference who might not know about it. Though he needn’t have bothered — when the host asked the crowd to raise their hands if they knew about “adrenochroming,” pretty much everyone in the crowd did so.

“Essentially, you have adrenaline in your body,” Caviezel explained. “And when you are scared, you produce adrenaline. If you’re an athlete, you get in the fourth quarter, you have adrenaline that comes out of you. If a child knows he’s going to die, his body will secrete this adrenaline. And they have a lot of terms that they use that he [Ballard] takes me through, but it’s the worst horror I’ve ever seen. The screaming alone, even if I never, ever, ever saw it, it’s beyond — and these people that do it, umm, there will be no mercy for them.”

Literally, none of that stuff is in this movie. I don’t think anybody who sees this movie can think it is about a blood drinking cult. I don’t understand how people who have not seen the movie can claim to have an expertise on its motives.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:

Literally, none of that stuff is in this movie. I don’t think anybody who sees this movie can think it is about a blood drinking cult. I don’t understand how people who have not seen the movie can claim to have an expertise on its motives.

It's been clearly laid out.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject:

Saw Asteroid City in an actual theater last night. Glad I did, it's one of his movie that's better suited to that format. I'm a bit hit or miss with Wes, but I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I liked the play within a TV show within a movie device. It's a great execution of the things that make his work standout and the performances/cameos are solid.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Last edited by DaMuleRules on Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject:

I can't wrap my head around Astroid City. I do not understand the plot. I don't see a story.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I can't wrap my head around Astroid City. I do not understand the plot. I don't see a story.

I found it very hard to understand too. I went with some friends who were all smoking a blunt while I went in sober (I don't smoke) and we all came out of it equally confused. I like reading people's opinions on movies so I read some reddit posts and such and, frankly, I'm not sure the movie came together at all.

I feel pretty sure that Wes Anderson is operating at a fairly meta level -- like the structure of the movie, and maybe the lack of a clear point, is in fact the point. It's definitely about moving on beyond grief. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not really a Wes Anderson fan or because the movie was just scripted messily but I couldn't really make heads or tails of it beyond that.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I found it very hard to understand too. I went with some friends who were all smoking a blunt while I went in sober (I don't smoke) and we all came out of it equally confused. I like reading people's opinions on movies so I read some reddit posts and such and, frankly, I'm not sure the movie came together at all.

I feel pretty sure that Wes Anderson is operating at a fairly meta level -- like the structure of the movie, and maybe the lack of a clear point, is in fact the point. It's definitely about moving on beyond grief. I'm not sure if it's because I'm not really a Wes Anderson fan or because the movie was just scripted messily but I couldn't really make heads or tails of it beyond that.

There’s no singular story to the film, which is evident in the way that multiple stories unfold in the multi-tiered structure of the storytelling. Anderson literally plays two coincident story plots within the same exact scene. You see what was predicted play out and then see the behind scenes result, yet the result was just a performance. You’re not watching a story. You’re watching multiple stories play out in multiple contexts and timelines.

Grief and the aftermath of it is definitely a theme. But then you have this commentary on how focused people are on their own niche in a way that buries the lead: an alien has not only visited the planet, but has impacted it. But it’s buried in the minutia of how people try to live out their lives.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 7:50 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I found it very hard to understand too. I went with some friends who were all smoking a blunt while I went in sober (I don't smoke) and we all came out of it equally confused.

Off Topic; Were you in the same confined area with your friends who were blunting? If so you may have gotten an unintentional secondhand marijuana smoke high. Jus sayin.

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
tox wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I found it very hard to understand too. I went with some friends who were all smoking a blunt while I went in sober (I don't smoke) and we all came out of it equally confused.

Off Topic; Were you in the same confined area with your friends who were blunting? If so you may have gotten an unintentional secondhand marijuana smoke high. Jus sayin.

Hahaha nah we were right outside the theater waiting for the showtime. Bless marijuana being legal ol
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:40 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
tox wrote:
jodeke wrote:

There’s no singular story to the film, which is evident in the way that multiple stories unfold in the multi-tiered structure of the storytelling. Anderson literally plays two coincident story plots within the same exact scene. You see what was predicted play out and then see the behind scenes result, yet the result was just a performance. You’re not watching a story. You’re watching multiple stories play out in multiple contexts and timelines.

Grief and the aftermath of it is definitely a theme. But then you have this commentary on how focused people are on their own niche in a way that buries the lead: an alien has not only visited the planet, but has impacted it. But it’s buried in the minutia of how people try to live out their lives.

Are they two story plots? The scene where Bryan Cranston's character (the narrator) accidentally made it into the color scene in Asteroid City made me think what we got was the behind-the-scenes of a play (the black & white) and a representation of the actual play going on in tandem.

The point about the alien visiting being ignored in favor of focusing on people living out their lives is well-taken but to me the stories about the people living their lives just feel kind of random. Like there's the story about the really smart children and I'm not really sure what point was being made there.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject:

I didn’t connect with Asteroid City either. I miss when Wes Anderson movies took place on Planet Earth and starred reasonable facsimiles of people. Human themes are there, but everyone seems to have the same Andersonian sad affectation that carries over from film to film. This felt like another trip to a well worn well. Like AI wrote a Wes Anderson movie. It’s still meticulous and precise visually, as always. I guess I just am waiting for something a little less manicured and twee from him. Something that doesn’t feel like another round of Wes playing with his dolls. He has sort of morphed into Max Fisher from Rushmore, putting on his little plays. I’m finding it less charming the more I see it.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:31 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
ocho wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Quote:

It's been clearly laid out.

Have you seen the film?

Ocho referenced a conference in 2021 or 2022, the film finished filming in 2018. And the actor did not write or direct the film, he just acted. I’m not trying to defend him or other Qanon conspiracy theories, I’m just saying, as somebody who actually saw the movie I didn’t see anything about blood drinking, didn’t see anything about the elites drinking blood and trafficking children, didn’t see anything about democrats mentioned in the film, let alone democrats torturing kids. If I’m not taken, I think more Republican politicians have been charged with child sex crime charges than democrats. If somebody actually takes the time to watch the film, I don’t see why democrats would hate it and republicans would love it. It’s children being trafficked by South American mobsters and warlords. There is nothing about democrats drinking blood as ocho is citing for the films hate.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 185 of 189
Jump to: