The Film Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Managed to do the BARBENHEIMER opening weekend. Two great films!

OPPENHEIMER is one of Nolan’s best films in my opinion. It was 3 hours but it does a great job of telling the story in that time. It follows Oppenheimers hearing for security clearance renewal and Lewis Straus’s senate hearing for presidential cabinet confirmation, with the story of the film being flashbacks of the events discussed in those hearings. I saw it in IMAX with laser, not 70mm, which I think is good enough if you can’t get to CityWalk or the Chinese theatre for the true IMAX 70mm 1.43 aspect ratio. The resolution portion is a little slow, but for a 3 hour movie it moves extremely well.

I knew nothing about BARBIE going in to it, and the movie ended up being pretty good. A couple scenes in particular were hilarious for their satire. Definitely worth watching for a movie goer. A lot of social commentary on gender roles in society that are presented in a way that gives a lot of comedic value. And for the people who were in to Barbie, it seemed like a lot of fun, so many people showing up with pink clothing and bleached hair.
Triumph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I watched Sound of Freedom. It is a true story about a guy who rescued hundreds of children from sex slavery. He rescues at least 56 children in the film. I’m still trying to figure out why this film is being so politicized, I think rescuing child sex victims should be a universal cause.

If you have heard anything about this film from the media, I suggest you see it for yourself and make your own opinion. There is no conspiracy angle, no political angle, it’s just a true story about a man rescuing children.

I think the the idea of this movie being "controversial" and being "politicized" actually started from the supporters of the movie. It was released by a small studio so in order to drum up publicity/interest, they are doing this whole grassroots advertising campaign aimed at conservatives like "This is the movie the Left doesn't want you to see!"

But the person the film is based on (Tim Ballard), and his Operation Underground Railroad group (wow, that is a horrible choice for this group's name) has questionable motivation and methods.

Here is an interesting account written by one of the people who was on the raid in the Dominican Republic:

https://slate.com/human-interest/2021/05/sex-trafficking-raid-operation-underground-railroad.html

Another article by "the leading global expert on the international law on human trafficking" critical of Ballard/OUR's methods:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/chasing-the-slave-traders_b_7913104
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I knew nothing about BARBIE going in to it, and the movie ended up being pretty good. A couple scenes in particular were hilarious for their satire. Definitely worth watching for a movie goer. A lot of social commentary on gender roles in society that are presented in a way that gives a lot of comedic value. And for the people who were in to Barbie, it seemed like a lot of fun, so many people showing up with pink clothing and bleached hair.

I knew a fair bit about Barbie going in and knew Gerwig was going to take some shots at patriarchy and the unrealistic stereotypes of the dolls, but I was really surprised by how layered and thoughtful it was. It delves into a number of different subjects outside of that satire, and does so deftly and elegantly. with a lot of subtle touches to balance out some of the broad comedy. I also thought Mattel would be protective of their image, but they were really self-deprecating regarding their corporate attitude and highly questionable product failures along the course of the Barbie line. It's a much better and funnier movie than I anticipated and Gosling and Robbie are brilliant.

It's especially cool knowing how bent out of shape it has the far-right.

I would just add that this is one you want to see in the theater with a large audience. By its nature, it plays well to a collective reaction.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I knew a fair bit about Barbie going in and knew Gerwig was going to take some shots at patriarchy and the unrealistic stereotypes of the dolls, but I was really surprised by how layered and thoughtful it was. It delves into a number of different subjects outside of that satire, and does so deftly and elegantly. with a lot of subtle touches to balance out some of the broad comedy. I also thought Mattel would be protective of their image, but they were really self-deprecating regarding their corporate attitude and highly questionable product failures along the course of the Barbie line. It's a much better and funnier movie than I anticipated and Gosling and Robbie are brilliant.

It's especially cool knowing how bent out of shape it has the far-right.

I would just add that this is one you want to see in the theater with a large audience. By its nature, it plays well to a collective reaction.

I thought the movie was very entertaining. Ken’s experience in Century City when first entering the real world was my favorite scene by far. And I was watching the movie in a sold out auditorium in century city which added to the experience.

And I swear I saw at least half a dozen straight men coming to the theatre wearing pink dresses. It’s just a totally fun movie.

I was looking in to the far right opposition of this movie, I guess one of the Barbie actresses is trans? Anyways, it seems like a bunch people whoo didn’t see the movie have created a false fantasy about it’s content to serve their political goals.

I think most people would enjoy the movie. Just go, get a good seat, get some pop corn and relax for a few hours. You might not love every moment, but you will find certain scenes significant and entertaining.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:32 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Managed to do the BARBENHEIMER opening weekend. Two great films!

OPPENHEIMER is one of Nolan’s best films in my opinion. It was 3 hours but it does a great job of telling the story in that time. It follows Oppenheimers hearing for security clearance renewal and Lewis Straus’s senate hearing for presidential cabinet confirmation, with the story of the film being flashbacks of the events discussed in those hearings. I saw it in IMAX with laser, not 70mm, which I think is good enough if you can’t get to CityWalk or the Chinese theatre for the true IMAX 70mm 1.43 aspect ratio. The resolution portion is a little slow, but for a 3 hour movie it moves extremely well.

I thought Oppenheimer was one of Nolan's best, although I have to put it in a tie with Dunkirk at no. 1.
On a side note I still find it amazing how actors from the UK and Ireland can play American or other non-English characters and flawlessly speak without their own accent. Cillian is Irish, Branagh played a Dane, and Gary Oldman played Truman.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:39 am    Post subject:

^

Christian Bale was asked about that once and he provided an explanation. He said that many British actors, such as himself, live in the United States. They also grew up watching American films, so they were familiar with the accent from their early years.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:33 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
^

Christian Bale was asked about that once and he provided an explanation. He said that many British actors, such as himself, live in the United States. They also grew up watching American films, so they were familiar with the accent from their early years.

Yeah, I have heard many British actors speak on this, and they all pretty much share a few words they have trouble with, "murder" being one due to the double hard "r" sound.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I saw many people voting MEMENTO as the best Nolan film, so I bought it on iTunes. Part of the reveal is predictable, just enough to flatter the audience and make them feel smart, but there is no way you will figure out the final reveals. It’s a great move that keeps you thinking and makes you want to watch it a couple times after you finish to help you understand the story.

I still rate The Prestige slightly above Memento, but I put Oppenheimer in a separate class, far above them all, as a biographical film. Nolan’s films leave you thinking about them and coming back for seconds, but they have all depicted fictional worlds. Oppenheimer has you questioning the stability of the world we actually live in.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:06 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
I saw many people voting MEMENTO as the best Nolan film, so I bought it on iTunes. Part of the reveal is predictable, just enough to flatter the audience and make them feel smart, but there is no way you will figure out the final reveals. It’s a great move that keeps you thinking and makes you want to watch it a couple times after you finish to help you understand the story.

I still rate The Prestige slightly above Memento, but I put Oppenheimer in a separate class, far above them all, as a biographical film. Nolan’s films leave you thinking about them and coming back for seconds, but they have all depicted fictional worlds. Oppenheimer has you questioning the stability of the world we actually live in.

Memento is an incredible achievement in filmmaking. I was blown away the first time I saw that. I'd never seen anything like that before. I'd still rate it as his best.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Memento is an incredible achievement in filmmaking. I was blown away the first time I saw that. I'd never seen anything like that before. I'd still rate it as his best.

I have MEMEMTO (2000) in my ISPTV queue starring Leonard Shelby and Carrie-Ann Moss. It's about a man tracking down the man who raped his wife. Is this the movie you're talking about.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

I have MEMEMTO (2000) in my ISPTV queue starring Leonard Shelby and Carrie-Ann Moss. It's about a man tracking down the man who raped his wife. Is this the movie you're talking about.

Yes, that's the movie. The star of the film is Guy Pearce, and the name of his character is Leonard Shelby.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yes, that's the movie. The star of the film is Guy Pearce, and the name of his character is Leonard Shelby.

Thanks, I'll give it a peek.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Robblake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:53 pm    Post subject:

I’m a fan of Tom cruise as an actor and entertainer but I think as a stand-alone film IM7 was pretty damn good and well put together. But, as a movie in a series that has tightened up and gotten a bit more complex they suffer from what many great bands suffer when they are about 6 albums deep - they know their style almost too well and now it seems a bit deadened and stiff in parts. The movie would’ve done better for me if it was release ten years ago. I give it a B.. bordering on B-. The train scene at the end was amazing but the story up to that point was a perfected MI story formula IMO.

I’m still interested how part 2 will do. 84/100
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Just got back from seeing Oppenheimer.

I really appreciated how it included little known details about Oppenheimer's life. For example, did you know he led a team of scientists that developed the first atomic bomb during WWII?! Sorry for the spoiler for those who haven't seen the movie.

Jokes aside. Fantastic movie by Nolan. My favorite one he's done since Interstellar.

I've heard fantastic things about Barbie. But I'll wait to watch it at home.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Love the Dark Night Trilogy and Dunkirk was alright but all other science or tech based films from Nolan is Valium level snozzery.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:27 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Love the Dark Night Trilogy and Dunkirk was alright but all other science or tech based films from Nolan is Valium level snozzery.

Jodeke and I were talking about this earlier, but if you have not seen Memento, I highly, highly recommend it. It's not a science or tech film at all. Trust me, just watch it, if you haven't already.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:15 am    Post subject:

wtf was that?

Is there anyone else who thinks that Nolan has pitched nothing but turds since the first 3/4 of Interstellar? What magic he had to give to the world was all but given at the time that The Dark Knight Rises was released over 10 years ago.

I tried to avoid reading about the movie. I'm a geek for 20th century arms race history and test footage, so when I'd heard that he was insistent on IMAX film I became excited that maybe someone could bring some primo mushroom cloud and shockwave action to the big screen. Maybe Nolan can achieve something that will instill nuclear fears in ways that haven't really been tried in high-profile cinema since way back in Terminator 2, or even further back this amazing TV movie that had Steve Guttenberg in it. What Nolan actually turned out were scattered kibbles and bits of cool FX, and then for the Trinity money shot, the explosive equivalent of Florence Pugh's titts. If someone had told me that it was possible for a hollywood blockbuster to undersell an atomic detonation, I would have chuckled. Speaking of Pugh, precious screen time was utterly wasted on the "love" angle with her character. It was a loser from the moment it was written in, but then they decided to include the most awkwardly placed and executed sex scene in recent memory. "Ugh" was the prevailing sound in my theater that accompanied the cut to Pugh's nipples. Before tonight, I was actually quite infatuated with Pugh...she is a beautiful woman and a terrific actor. After that trainwreck I do not care to see her face nor her naked chest ever again.

Other than the outdoor Los Alamos set pieces, the movie was tight shots in small rooms. It looked like it could have been shot entirely within a medium-sized sound stage. Wtf was the point of IMAX if this was all it was going to be? Just a few minutes of remastered/re-created footage of the Hiroshima bomb would have delivered and refreshed the threatening terror of global thermonuclear destruction better than this 3 hours of heavy-handed Prometheus references and unglamourized closeups of Florence Pugh riding Oppenheimer like a stallion. They could have featured/focused on some of the mathematics/theory that created the bomb, that would have been cool. No, no, we should be happy with the shots of Murphy hastily scratching a chalkboard with illegible, unexplained numbers that he pulled out of his ass. Is he/isn't he a pinko sympathizer--who cares? That part of the Oppenheimer story is not a compelling film, and Cillian Murphy, while not a bad actor per se, has zero screen presence. The bomb is everything; this movie was not the bomb.

RIP christopher nolan

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:33 am    Post subject:

^I do agree with you CMB that Oppenheimer isn't a "better in IMAX" style film. I think it was pitched that way to try to combat people waiting to see it streaming from home.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject:

Saw it yesterday in IMAX. It was nice to see a full room of people. I agree that IMAX didn't really add much to it.

I agree with some of your other points, but I still say it was an enjoyable movie.

My main problem is the constant and unnecessary background music. It's distracting and it makes it difficult to decipher what people are saying. I'd say that I couldn't understand 20% of the dialogue.

I have nothing against non-linear storytelling, but it was a bit too much. Just when you get into a scene, it cuts to something else, and then something else comes, with the music constantly in the background.

I understand why he didn't want to spend much time on math equations and how nuclear fission actually works, but the movie would have benefitted from some of it. There's talk about atomic bombs and hydrogen bombs, but none of that is adequately explained other than hydrogen bombs are more powerful.

I think the Communist angle was fine, as it was a huge issue in the late 40s and early 50s.

Overall, a good movie. The only reason I'd watch it again down the line is to turn on closed captioning and to catch all the stuff I couldn't understand in a very loud theater with an orchestra seemingly playing for three hours.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Jodeke and I were talking about this earlier, but if you have not seen Memento, I highly, highly recommend it. It's not a science or tech film at all. Trust me, just watch it, if you haven't already.

Good call, from what I vaguely recall but of coirse I need a rewatch probably been 20 years since I saw Momento.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:10 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Good call, from what I vaguely recall but of coirse I need a rewatch probably been 20 years since I saw Momento.

It's a testament to Nolan that most film enthusiasts love some of his work. And some of his work, the same people will have negative emotions towards. Say what you want about him. But, he's distinct. And he swings big!

Personally I have Dark Night, Prestige, and Inception as S tier.
The other Batmans and Interstellar A tier.
Tenant B tier.
And I've never made it all the way through Momento, despite trying several times.

I think viewer bias towards the subject matter plays a big role. Cause like I said, he goes ALL IN on whatever he's making.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:22 pm    Post subject:

The Little Mermaid. It's the usual good vs bad, good wins movie. Ursula played by Melissa McCarthy is the bad woman. Halle Bailey is the good woman. The Little Mermaid being played by a Black actress shows Hollywood is a changing venue. I didn't like the dark contrast. IMO it took from the visuals. 1 to 10 I rate it 8.

C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 6:48 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Studio Salvages Terrible Film’s Box Office Numbers By Marketing It As Movie Liberals Don’t Want You To See

IMO this is a misstep. The Jewish community is influential and powerful. I see it as a racist comment. Don't poke the bear.

Quote:
Carter added that if the film wasn’t in the black by the end of the week, the studio would run ads telling viewers it was the only movie currently in theaters that wasn’t paid for by Jews.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 7:04 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
C M B wrote:

IMO this is a misstep. The Jewish community is influential and powerful. I see it as a racist comment. Don't poke the bear.

Quote:
Carter added that if the film wasn’t in the black by the end of the week, the studio would run ads telling viewers it was the only movie currently in theaters that wasn’t paid for by Jews.

Who wants to tell him?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 185, 186, 187, 188, 189  Next
Page 186 of 189
Jump to: