OFFICIAL GOLF THREAD: BREAKING - OMAR GETS AN ACE!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Scottie Scheffler is lapping the field, his #1 ranking is no joke....best player in the world right now.

Tiger very impressive today battling back from 4 bogeys in the first 5 holes in tough conditions. To make the cut at his age off the injury and long layoff is incredible.

Yeah, Tiger will make the weekend but his chances of winning the Masters are pretty much over.

Why over?

1st place guy is -8. 2nd place guys are -3.

All it takes is a +3 and a -3, and you make up 6 shots.

Easier said then done.
As I'm typing right now Scottie Scheffler is now at -10...it looks like a runaway.
Tiger would need to score under 70 for next 2 rounds for him to even be in the conversation.

For sure. But it's golf, we've seen crazy turnarounds. Can't really pronounce anyone out of a tournament after 2 rounds. Especially when the leader has never won a major and the guy pronounced out of it has won 15?

Unless you were saying that Scheffler was incapable of shooting a +3 today and Tiger was incapable of shooting a -3 today?

We aren't talking about a prime Tiger. Heck, this is his first tournament after the accident in which he almost died.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:03 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
Scottie Scheffler is lapping the field, his #1 ranking is no joke....best player in the world right now.

Tiger very impressive today battling back from 4 bogeys in the first 5 holes in tough conditions. To make the cut at his age off the injury and long layoff is incredible.

Yeah, Tiger will make the weekend but his chances of winning the Masters are pretty much over.

Why over?

Easier said then done.
As I'm typing right now Scottie Scheffler is now at -10...it looks like a runaway.
Tiger would need to score under 70 for next 2 rounds for him to even be in the conversation.

For sure. But it's golf, we've seen crazy turnarounds. Can't really pronounce anyone out of a tournament after 2 rounds. Especially when the leader has never won a major and the guy pronounced out of it has won 15?

Unless you were saying that Scheffler was incapable of shooting a +3 today and Tiger was incapable of shooting a -3 today?

We aren't talking about a prime Tiger. Heck, this is his first tournament after the accident in which he almost died.

He shot -1 on Thursday. Let's say -2 then. Was that impossible?

So, -2 from Tiger and +3 from Scheffler would have put him 4 shots back. Then is it over?

Does Tiger need to be in his prime to shoot -2? Is Scheffler immune to throwing up a +3?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Why over?

Easier said then done.

So, -2 from Tiger and +3 from Scheffler would have put him 4 shots back. Then is it over?

Does Tiger need to be in his prime to shoot -2? Is Scheffler immune to throwing up a +3?

Bear in mind that also requires all the other guys between them to fall back as well, and then the same thing has to happen tomorrow. In this level of tournament, if you're 8 shots back of the leader and have numerous other people in front of you, your odds are virtually nil.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Why over?

Easier said then done.

Bear in mind that also requires all the other guys between them to fall back as well, and then the same thing has to happen tomorrow. In this level of tournament, if you're 8 shots back of the leader and have numerous other people in front of you, your odds are virtually nil.

Do you have to actually win it for things to not be over?

Like right now, Schwartzel is 5 back. Do we say it's over for him? He might not win it, but is being 5 shots back at this stage over?

Lowry is 6 shots back, is it over for him right now?

I just think things can turn around quickly in golf.

Right now, I'd say it's not over for the dudes who are 6 shots back. Their chances of winning are probably slim too, but I wouldn't say their tournament is over right now.

I think Tiger still had something to play for going into today. I think he had an outside chance of getting within striking distance, and to me being 6 back right now is still striking distance.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Scheffler is in a commanding position given where the rest of the field lies. At -3, -5, -1, that's pretty consistent. Even if he slips and goes 3 over, The only likely threats are Smith and Im. If Scheffler is under for the fourth day in a row, everyone else is going to have to hope that all three of those guys have bad days. 68's or under are not going to be easy on a Master's Sunday, and that's what it is going to take. That said, crazier stuff has happened.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Scheffler is in a commanding position given where the rest of the field lies. At -3, -5, -1, that's pretty consistent. Even if he slips and goes 3 over, The only likely threats are Smith and Im. If Scheffler is under for the fourth day in a row, everyone else is going to have to hope that all three of those guys have bad days. 68's or under are not going to be easy on a Master's Sunday, and that's what it is going to take. That said, crazier stuff has happened.

Scheffler's swing was nervy and kind of came undone in the final 7 holes today. On 12 his 9-iron was nowhere near the target and he was lucky it went in the bunker (barely over the water), and then his sand shot was horrible and he made 4. On 13 he practically mis-hit his drive off the toe and still made birdie on the par 5. On 14 he came up short on his wedge and then hit a bad chip to make bogey. On 15 he left his wedge approach in a horrible spot on the green and he 3-putted for bogey, and on 18 the drive was obviously way off, although his recovery 5 was a good score after taking the unplayable. For a guy who was barely missing any shots, an awful lot of poor strikes came into his game, and it was in all phases: drives, iron approaches, chips, and putts.

He better work that stuff out on the range or he could see Smith pass him by the end of the front nine.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:37 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Scheffler's swing was nervy and kind of came undone in the final 7 holes today. On 12 his 9-iron was nowhere near the target and he was lucky it went in the bunker (barely over the water), and then his sand shot was horrible and he made 4. On 13 he practically mis-hit his drive off the toe and still made birdie on the par 5. On 14 he came up short on his wedge and then hit a bad chip to make bogey. On 15 he left his wedge approach in a horrible spot on the green and he 3-putted for bogey, and on 18 the drive was obviously way off, although his recovery 5 was a good score after taking the unplayable. For a guy who was barely missing any shots, an awful lot of poor strikes came into his game, and it was in all phases: drives, iron approaches, chips, and putts.

He better work that stuff out on the range or he could see Smith pass him by the end of the front nine.

Very true, but that shot on 18 after the drop to salvage a score on 18 was a great way to go in after a shaky round that finds him 3 up with only a handful of guys within reasonable striking distance. What he does with that between now and when he hits that front 9 remains to be seen.

Anyway, my point wasn't really about Scheffler winning. It was about the small group who is in a window to pass him. It's not like there are couple of dozen guys all sitting 3 through 5 back. I'd be shocked if it isn't Scheffler, Smith or Im in the end. Anybody -2 and worse is going to have. round that way surpasses their first 3 AND comes with a choke by Scheffler. But I'd love to see it. That'd make for a memorable Final Day. And it'd be great if it was Smith.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:42 pm    Post subject:

^
The last world #1 to take a 3-stroke lead into the final round at Augusta? Greg Norman. We all know what happened there! (That was yet another choke job that went in the favor of Nick Faldo, who has to be the luckiest golfer in the history of life, who literally had 2 of his 3 Masters titles basically handed to him on a silver platter.)

I think Smith has a sneaky-good chance to win, as often as he makes birdies and as well as he is playing. One early push and it could get tense. Consequently, an early two-shot swing could get Scheffler a lot of breathing room.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject:

I see it as a 2 man race between Scheffler and Smith.

I would rate Scheffler about an 80% chance to win it, but Smith is very dangerous for sure as he can get on big time rolls with lots of birdies.

It feels like it is Scheffler's tournament but still a lot of golf to be played.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject:

Why is Tiger considered not in his prime? I've never set foot on a golf course so I'm genuinely curious...what exactly slips in terms of a golfer's skill set as he/she ages? Is it that the distance you can drive the ball (or whatever you call it when you hit it off the tee to start) deteriorates? The other times where you're hitting the ball trying to get it closer and into the hole seems to be more about concentration and body control right? That part shouldn't get worse as we age, no?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Why is Tiger considered not in his prime? I've never set foot on a golf course so I'm genuinely curious...what exactly slips in terms of a golfer's skill set as he/she ages? Is it that the distance you can drive the ball (or whatever you call it when you hit it off the tee to start) deteriorates? The other times where you're hitting the ball trying to get it closer and into the hole seems to be more about concentration and body control right? That part shouldn't get worse as we age, no?

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/10709728/tiger-woods-injury-line

Look at all those injuries......its a surprise he's still able play on the PGA tour. No surprise he stopped dominating once he started to decline physically. That chart was from 2017....he had a couple of pretty serious procedures for the car crash.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10032013-tiger-woods-says-hell-need-lots-of-ice-for-leg-injury-after-masters-opening-round

Quote:
Woods suffered comminuted open fractures to both the upper and lower tibia and fibula in the one-car crash, per Dr. Anish Mahajan, the interim CEO and chief medical officer of Harbor-UCLA Hospital.

USA Today's Chris Bumbaca provided more information: "'Comminuted' means there were multiple fragments of the tibia and fibula shattering, ESPN injury analyst Stephania Bell said on the network Wednesday morning. 'Open fractures' are otherwise known as compound fractures, meaning the bone has protruded through the skin."
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:20 pm    Post subject:

To address what jb asked, most of the top 10 players in the world are under 30, and it's increasingly becoming a young man's game. They usually hit the ball further off the tee because they are in better shape and/or stronger. Another thing I'd say is that it can be harder to maintain your feel as you get older, particularly with putting and chipping. Experience is great and is a factor, and you can certainly still have a chance in your 40's compared to dudes in their 20's, which is unlike most sports, yes. But I think you have an advantage on Tour if you're in your 20's right now.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
To address what jb asked, most of the top 10 players in the world are under 30, and it's increasingly becoming a young man's game. They usually hit the ball further off the tee because they are in better shape and/or stronger. Another thing I'd say is that it can be harder to maintain your feel as you get older, particularly with putting and chipping. Experience is great and is a factor, and you can certainly still have a chance in your 40's compared to dudes in their 20's, which is unlike most sports, yes. But I think you have an advantage on Tour if you're in your 20's right now.

Interesting. The only comparison I can think of as far as precision/patience and feel is pool. I used to play a lot and followed it some. Lotta the best guys were stomping fools into their 50s.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

An interesting point was made about the young guys that factors into the success of the young guys. Morikawa, Hovland, Scheffler, Wolf, etc. (and the slightly older guys Thomas, Spieth . . .) came up in an age where college golf is much more prominent. The tournaments have coverage, crowds and attention they didn’t have back in the day. Previous generations didn’t get the exposure of huge tournaments until later in their life and had to learn the poise and focus on tour.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject:

Tiger's limp is notably more pronounced this morning.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Interesting. The only comparison I can think of as far as precision/patience and feel is pool. I used to play a lot and followed it some. Lotta the best guys were stomping fools into their 50s.

It’s really more a matter of consistency in golf, where even on a putt and chip you’re involving a lot of muscle groups. I have days where my pitch/chip swing and putting stroke feel just like what I’m seeing, and days when they don’t. I’m better at peak with both of them now, but that peak comes and goes much more easily.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Very true, but that shot on 18 after the drop to salvage a score on 18 was a great way to go in after a shaky round that finds him 3 up with only a handful of guys within reasonable striking distance. What he does with that between now and when he hits that front 9 remains to be seen.

Anyway, my point wasn't really about Scheffler winning. It was about the small group who is in a window to pass him. It's not like there are couple of dozen guys all sitting 3 through 5 back. I'd be shocked if it isn't Scheffler, Smith or Im in the end. Anybody -2 and worse is going to have. round that way surpasses their first 3 AND comes with a choke by Scheffler. But I'd love to see it. That'd make for a memorable Final Day. And it'd be great if it was Smith.

That said, Lee is 6 under for the day through 9!!
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject:

The margin has been trimmed to two. After one hole. I honestly think Smith is going to win. I just hope Scheffler doesn't pull a Greg Norman today.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject:

Scheffler already has a bad drive on 1 and a bad iron approach to the par-5 2nd hole. He's fighting it. Better fix it, and quickly.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:18 am    Post subject:

The lead is down to one. They've played two holes.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject:

Oh wow, Scheffler with the miraculous chip-in from down below the 3rd green! If it doesn't hit the stick he's probably 10 feet past, at least. And now Smith has a 15 footer for par. Could be a 2-shot swing, and the lead could be back up to 3.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Now a 4 stroke lead over Smith. Everyone else 7 or more back.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject:

Rory's killing it 7 under thru 13 to be 5 back, but I can't see how it will be enough unless Scheffler completely collapses.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Yup, another example of anything happens in golf. Mcilroy came into the day +1 with "no chance" and now at -7 and at least a slim chance.

Dude so far has made up 7 shots.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

It’s really more a matter of consistency in golf, where even on a putt and chip you’re involving a lot of muscle groups. I have days where my pitch/chip swing and putting stroke feel just like what I’m seeing, and days when they don’t. I’m better at peak with both of them now, but that peak comes and goes much more easily.

I think I'm going to try it. Anyone know of a cheap place in So Cal where I can just putt around?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 18 of 33
Jump to: