ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448, 449  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:
mixtim wrote:
https://twitter.com/LakeShowYo/status/1786612478912430289

Tell me again how great of a genius Jerry West is,ROTFL

Jerry didn't want them to move Shai and eventhough felt the picks weren't that important that they can do the deal. That Shai was the one they were going to all feel bad about. He didn't care about moving the picks. He said that Shai was going to be a future all-star and all the things in the league he's become, but was hopeful that having two finished products in Kawhi and George would make up for that before that time came.

On paper he'd be right. In execution, Kawhi was never healthy and the year he was, Luka sonned both him and George in the Playoffs in Round 1. But they made it to Round 2 where they blew a 3-1 lead vs the Nuggets. Guess who the Coach was

Who would you rather go into the new building with? 33 y.o. Kawhi (who may never play again) & 34 y.o. PG13, or 26 y.o. SGA, a young core and a boatload of picks?

Shai of course.

But they were thinking win now, not 5 years from now. They made the kind of move Lakers fans beg them to do, till they actually do it.

Except it actually worked for the Lakers.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:48 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:
mixtim wrote:

Jerry didn't want them to move Shai and eventhough felt the picks weren't that important that they can do the deal. That Shai was the one they were going to all feel bad about. He didn't care about moving the picks. He said that Shai was going to be a future all-star and all the things in the league he's become, but was hopeful that having two finished products in Kawhi and George would make up for that before that time came.

On paper he'd be right. In execution, Kawhi was never healthy and the year he was, Luka sonned both him and George in the Playoffs in Round 1. But they made it to Round 2 where they blew a 3-1 lead vs the Nuggets. Guess who the Coach was

Who would you rather go into the new building with? 33 y.o. Kawhi (who may never play again) & 34 y.o. PG13, or 26 y.o. SGA, a young core and a boatload of picks?

Shai of course.

But they were thinking win now, not 5 years from now. They made the kind of move Lakers fans beg them to do, till they actually do it.

They made the kind of move Lakers fans beg them to do, till they see what can happen.

The idea is you only do those moves if you think you can contend for a title, so they did. A healthy Kawhi and PG may be a different story, but it never happened, and the year it did they blew a 3-1 lead.

I'll never take that for granted because shoe could have easily been on our foot if anything had happened to AD prior to or in the bubble.

If anything happened to AD and the Lakers never won in 2020, we'd be being looked at the same way. So we should never take that season for granted nor AD's health that season.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:
mixtim wrote:

Shai of course.

They made the kind of move Lakers fans beg them to do, till they see what can happen.

The idea is you only do those moves if you think you can contend for a title, so they did. A healthy Kawhi and PG may be a different story, but it never happened, and the year it did they blew a 3-1 lead.

I'll never take that for granted because shoe could have easily been on our foot if anything had happened to AD prior to or in the bubble.

If anything happened to AD and the Lakers never won in 2020, we'd be being looked at the same way. So we should never take that season for granted nor AD's health that season.

Actually, the Lakers got bit in '21. I firmly believe that we would've repeated had AD not gone down vs. Phoenix.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:54 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
MJST wrote:
mixtim wrote:

Shai of course.

Actually, the Lakers got bit in '21. I firmly believe that we would've repeated had AD not gone down vs. Phoenix.

I agree. And that was the Clippers basically every single year except the 3-1 year thanks to Doc Rivers
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 7:08 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
mixtim wrote:

How would you know what Jerry West wanted. Did he say it publicly? Are you friends with him?

I doubt that very much.

If he said it publicly I missed that but of course I could be wrong.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2024 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Japago wrote:
The Clippers haven't gotten to show what they look like in the playoffs since 2020. Kawhi and/or PG been injured at the end of the season every time since then.

I don't care how annoying they were in 2020 or how annoying the long losing steak was, I feel bad for that.

With the way they look like without being healthy, I do feel like they could be contenders when healthy. Taking 2 games from a hot, fully healthy Mavs team is impressive. They looked nice last year in that 5 game series against PHX when neither PG or Kawhi were healthy.

But, that means nothing if it never happens. And at this point, you have to question if it's even possible for Kawhi to be healthy at this point after playing a lot of regular season games.

Never feel bad for the snake and these bums that wanted to take over LA.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:29 am    Post subject:

The Clippers are carpet-baggers.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 8:54 am    Post subject:

Do they have options if PG leaves?

Going into the best area in the NBA with a realistic shot of missing the playoffs has to be a nightmare for them
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:

Going into the best area in the NBA with a realistic shot of missing the playoffs has to be a nightmare for them

Not really. Bottom line: If PG decides to leave, the Clippers had better hope they get to S&T him or they'll be screwed for years to come since they don't have much draft capital left and very little cap space to improve.

They have ~$102M in guaranteed contracts for 7 guys - which doesn't include PG or Harden.
PJ Tucker has an $11.5M PO. If he declines that, he's the biggest fool ever.
Westbrook has a $4.0M PO. Who knows what he does with that. He's apparently deluded to think he's still a starter on a contending team.

Salary Cap will be ~$141M, so they're already at about $114M after PJ Tucker opts into this season. Not enough for a max salary even if both PG and Harden depart. If either is kept (assuming they don't sign a low $ contract), they have no cap space for free agent acquisitions beyond the minimum.

They'll likely be a second tax apron team, which means they won't be able to use the MLE to sign a player. Or conversely, if they use it, they will be hard-capped to not exceed the second apron - which could actually be impossible to do if Harden signs for the max.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:02 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
27 wrote:

Not really. Bottom line: If PG decides to leave, the Clippers had better hope they get to S&T him or they'll be screwed for years to come since they don't have much draft capital left and very little cap space to improve.

They have ~$102M in guaranteed contracts for 7 guys - which doesn't include PG or Harden.
Westbrook has a $4.0M PO. Who knows what he does with that. He's apparently deluded to think he's still a starter on a contending team.

Salary Cap will be ~$141M, so they're already at about $114M after PJ Tucker opts into this season. Not enough for a max salary even if both PG and Harden depart. If either is kept (assuming they don't sign a low $ contract), they have no cap space for free agent acquisitions beyond the minimum.

They'll likely be a second tax apron team, which means they won't be able to use the MLE to sign a player. Or conversely, if they use it, they will be hard-capped to not exceed the second apron - which could actually be impossible to do if Harden signs for the max.

Thanks for the info.

I imagine PG, should he leave, will have them do a S&T. I'm not sure what team can afford him right now other than the Magic
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:25 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
Clippers will find a way to implode. It's what they do.

yep
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
27 wrote:

And even if they somehow get everyone back, how are they going to be contenders? They haven’t come close to winning a championship in the whole Kawhi/PG era, and now both guys are post-prime. Why would it magically work now?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 5:49 am    Post subject:

panamaniac wrote:
panamaniac wrote:
Clippers will find a way to implode. It's what they do.

yep

As soon as they traded for Harden, I thought yep we are good to go for the annual clipper implosion
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:21 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
27 wrote:

PJ is expected to opt in. I cannot see WB getting better offers.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:03 am    Post subject:

i was kind of rooting for the Clippers in the Mavs series. not because i'm a fan of theirs, but Clippers making noise in playoffs will be only way to force Jeannie Buss does something out of her comfort zone. with Clippers out of playoffs in the same fashion as Lakers, there is no incentive for Laker ownership to change their ways of doing business.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:12 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
i was kind of rooting for the Clippers in the Mavs series. not because i'm a fan of theirs, but Clippers making noise in playoffs will be only way to force Jeannie Buss does something out of her comfort zone. with Clippers out of playoffs in the same fashion as Lakers, there is no incentive for Laker ownership to change their ways of doing business.

That logic makes no sense whatsoever. No matter what one thinks of the Buss family, there's a less than zero chance that their decisions for this team are based in any way upon what's happening with the Clippers.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

That logic makes no sense whatsoever. No matter what one thinks of the Buss family, there's a less than zero chance that their decisions for this team are based in any way upon what's happening with the Clippers.

I guess you have forgotten about a few years ago when some of Jeanie’s emails were made public. What “ballz” was doing was something that she was very interested in. Those emails showed how concerned she is about what the Clippers are doing.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:01 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
27 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

I imagine PG, should he leave, will have them do a S&T. I'm not sure what team can afford him right now other than the Magic

Sixers can offer the max.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:32 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
joeblow wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

I guess you have forgotten about a few years ago when some of Jeanie’s emails were made public. What “ballz” was doing was something that she was very interested in. Those emails showed how concerned she is about what the Clippers are doing.

The only thing Jeanie is concerned about is not having a cheap ass owner of the clippers which puts the extra pressure on her.

None of it is actual basketball related. She just knows she can’t hang with the big $ and Lakers fan base would turn on her given Ballmer has no issue spending or investing.

That’s why she is afraid to say no to Klutch, because her inability to compete financially in this big market would come to the forefront without the Klutch Angeles payroll perks.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
27 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
27 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Great point and myabe they'll offer it. I wonder how PG would feel going from one often injured player in KL to Embiid. I hope he does it though.

Clippers are basicallly asking him to leave by not offering the max in my opinon. How are they going to give KL a max extension but not PG? I imagine KL has no trade value either
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:38 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
27 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
27 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

Great point and myabe they'll offer it. I wonder how PG would feel going from one often injured player in KL to Embiid. I hope he does it though.

Clippers are basicallly asking him to leave by not offering the max in my opinon. How are they going to give KL a max extension but not PG? I imagine KL has no trade value either

Kawhi took about 10 mil less than the max over the life of his extension.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Not sure if I’d trust Kawhi playing in playoff if I were PG, at 34, this is pretty much last run for him at elite level
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
27 wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
27 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
27 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

damn, my game is off. Thank you for the correction.

still wonder how they feel about KL moving foward. Lakers we're very lucky he saved us by picking the clippers
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:41 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Not sure if I’d trust Kawhi playing in playoff if I were PG, at 34, this is pretty much last run for him at elite level

Dude only played in 4 playoffs games in the last 3 years
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 4:56 pm    Post subject:

27 wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
27 wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
27 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
27 wrote:

Thanks for the info.

damn, my game is off. Thank you for the correction.

still wonder how they feel about KL moving foward. Lakers we're very lucky he saved us by picking the clippers

No worries. Clippers really had no choice. They’re bereft of assets, have no control over their future draft picks and can’t move into a new arena at the start of a massive teardown. So Kawhi had them by the short and curlies even though he’s completely unreliable.

If I was Paul George I would 100% flee this sinking ship and go East. Whatever team gets him is pretty much assured a berth in the ECF at minimum.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 446, 447, 448, 449  Next
Page 447 of 449
Jump to: