Round 2: No. 52
Round 3: No. 83
Round 3: No. 99 (Compensatory)
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:25 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Peter Schrager released his first mock draft, and I'm going to comment on this because the angle he takes with the Rams at 19 is eyebrow-raising. Schrager has been an extremely accurate mock drafter in the past, although in more recent years his track record is a little more spotty. However, what's notable about Schrager is that he's very, very plugged in and has team sources throughout the league. So when he offers anything beyond just a guess, I tend to take notice. Of course, virtually everyone is mocking to the Rams a defensive tackle or edge rusher, with perhaps some going with a corner. But certainly, most are mocking a defensive player to the Rams. Not Schrager. This was his specific quote about the Rams' pick at 19 (he has them taking OT Tyler Guyton):

"I'll go on record with something of a guarantee here: If the Rams do not trade back, you better believe Sean McVay's first-ever first-round selection will be an offensive player."

This is very interesting to me. Maybe we think this is the right draft to get a potential franchise LT? Could be we open to taking one of the second-tier WR's (obviously, the top 3 guys won't be there), if we're really worried about Kupp's health? Or, if Stafford has made it clear to us privately that he's truly year-to-year and could consider retirement (a la what Donald apparently did), could we actually consider a QB? As I said before, if we took Nix at 19, I would be disgusted. At least I think Penix has legit upside with that golden arm of his.

I'm sticking to my guns. The Rams had their eyes on a QB. The rumor was that they were making calls to get into the top 10. Bowers is more of an early-middle projection, which is where he went. The Rams could use an impact DT or DE player to absorb some of the loss of Aaron Donald, but there aren't any defensive players like that in this draft. No, I think they were hunting for a QB, someone they could groom over the next season or two. The "two seasons" game plan is similar to what Green Bay did when they drafted Love, which now looks like a brilliant move.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:47 am    Post subject:

There is no evidence the Rams tried to move up in the top 10 to draft a quarterback.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:28 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
There is no evidence the Rams tried to move up in the top 10 to draft a quarterback.

The Rams were reportedly calling around to get to the top 10. After that it is conjecture as to who they were targeting. I doubt it was Bowers, and it wasn't a defensive player. That narrows the field significantly to QB, WR, and LT.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject:

It will be interesting to see what we do with #52 in the 2nd Round. We know Snead loves to work the board, so I could see them moving way up in the round or, of course, moving back to get even more picks. Even after adding Verse, I could see them looking at DT's and guys who could be in range at 52 or thereabouts include Braden Fiske, Kris Jenkins, and Ruke Orhorhoro. I wouldn't expect Johnny Newton to last that long but perhaps he could be a trade-up possibility. There will be a whole slew of capable WR's in that range, of course, in this deep WR draft. If a LT prospect with upside is there, that could be a possibility too. Maybe someone like Patrick Paul or Kiran Amegadjie.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:06 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Today the Rams have 3 picks:

Round 2: No. 52
Round 3: No. 83
Round 3: No. 99 (Compensatory)

I hope we draft a backup for Kyren and maybe some depth at the OL.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Worth noting: The #Rams and #Colts, among others, were calling about trading up. The calls stopped when Brock Bowers went.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1783970043790786583?t=DrW8WTDbfL7nVVmjCb466g&s=19
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:00 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
Worth noting: The #Rams and #Colts, among others, were calling about trading up. The calls stopped when Brock Bowers went.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1783970043790786583?t=DrW8WTDbfL7nVVmjCb466g&s=19

Yeah it makes sense to me if the player we were targeting was Bowers. I think we could've really liked Odunze too, and you have that Washington connection with Puka, but my guess is that when he slipped to 9, the Bears were locked into taking him.

Still can't believe the Falcons took Penix.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Rams traded up! Now picking #39.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Rams traded up! Now picking #39.

Ooooh boy. AD Mitchell is sitting there, but maybe he'll continue to drop. I love Kool-Aid McKinstry, and Tre White is only on a 1-year deal. Let's see what they do.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject:

The Rams select DT Braden Fiske Florida State.

Last edited by 32 on Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject:

The Rams are the first team to select two defensive players
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject:

There's the DT. Fiske is really good. They gave up their '25 2nd for him, too, so not cheap. But they've certainly addressed the DL here early. I think the Rams probably used Schrager to smokescreen. Job well done!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:06 pm    Post subject:

Just occurred to me that Verse and Fiske were Florida State teammates. Rams raiding the Seminoles!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Our @dpbrugler calls Braden Fiske a "throwback brawler" who doesn't wear gloves when he plays, noting agility, twitch and get-off even though he doesn't have a huge arsenal of counters. Rams liked the nastiness, athleticism and inherited cohesion with Jared Verse.

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1784028157890478537?t=UAAW2sH6Lr2kmGyAO-VKnQ&s=19
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:29 pm    Post subject:

Rams take Blake Corum! He should be able to ensure that Kyren doesn't get overworked. Corum is underrated. He started last season really slowly, as he was coming off the season-ending 2022 injury, if some of you may recall. I thought he looked like his normal self in the final few games last year. This is a nice addition.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:30 pm    Post subject:

With the 83rd pick in the 2024 draft the Rams select Michigan running back Blake Corum.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I mentioned this spring I could see the Rams drafting a player who reminds them a bit of Williams, because they're not trying to deviate from how they ran the ball last year. If Williams needs a spell for any reason (including keeping fresh legs), they want to run the same stuff.

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1784048510603763735?t=0eEJv59bW_krfeqZdvQYTw&s=19
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:41 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
I mentioned this spring I could see the Rams drafting a player who reminds them a bit of Williams, because they're not trying to deviate from how they ran the ball last year. If Williams needs a spell for any reason (including keeping fresh legs), they want to run the same stuff.

https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1784048510603763735?t=0eEJv59bW_krfeqZdvQYTw&s=19

I don't think we ever envisioned Kyren dominating snaps as much as he had to last year, and he did miss time. I think they have concerns about him holding up. Corum has proven he can handle a big workload and if nothing else, he will allow the Rams to not overwork Williams. This could be a nice tandem.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Rams are on the clock again. I am absolutely shocked that LB Payton Wilson is still there. I can only assume he's dropped this far because teams have serious medical concerns on him. He put on an athletic show during the whole draft process and his tape is good, too. Just putting this into the universe before the pick!
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Dammit. Wilson just went with the pick before the Rams. I knew they were on the clock but didn't know who Pittsburgh had taken. Sigh.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Rams pick Kamren Kinchens. He is a "dog", plays hard, with swagger, and has displayed great ball skills from "The U." Very slow though with the 40 time and the agility drills, but I guess it's not a surprise that the Rams don't mind that.

Last edited by ChickenStu on Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:21 pm    Post subject:

With the 99th pick the Rams select Safety Kamren Kinchens Miami U.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Rounds 4-7 will start Saturday at noon ET.

Rams draft picks.

Round 5: No. 154
Round 6: No. 196
Round 6: No. 209 (Compensatory)
Round 6: No. 213 (Compensatory)
Round 6: No. 217 (Compensatory)
Round 7: No. 254 (Compensatory)

Last edited by 32 on Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
E_Wulf420
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:36 am    Post subject:

I wish Donald would come back and give it one last shot with this defense.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 230, 231, 232  Next
Page 231 of 232
Jump to: