🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject:

Cowboys released Zeke Elliot. End of an era.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject:

Bucs signed Baker Mayfield to a 1-year deal.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:24 am    Post subject:

I found this little gem:

Aaron Rodgers is currently the:

QB of the Packers
GM of the Jets
Owner of the Bears
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject:

Rodgers to the Jets.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject:

Jordan Love is on the clock. He has a year to prove he belongs as a starting QB or else the Packers will be drafting a QB.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Rodgers to the Jets.

Report: Rodgers to Jets ‘Is Done’

LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Jimmy G is a Raider, and Sam Darnold is a 49er. Darnold isn't signing there to be a #3 QB, so that tells you that Purdy is probably not an option for them in '23, despite anything they are saying publicly. That, or Lance is on the move. There's no way Darnold would sign there with the potential to be an inactive QB on gameday, not with his market.

Oh, and Rodgers to the Jets is very likely done, despite no official announcement.

I think that Lance will be on the move
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Brissett to the Commanders. Winston back to the Saints. JuJu to the Patriots, for virtually the same contract that former Pat WR Jakobi Meyers got from the Raiders, which is interesting.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Saints sign Jamaal Williams; there's the Kamara insurance. Meanwhile, Carolina signed Miles Sanders, who reunites with Duce Staley, who is now on that coaching staff.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:26 pm    Post subject:

Rodgers looked bad last season but he will have a lot to prove on the Jets.

Is he a game manager now or can he still make all the plays?

Time will tell, for the Jets it actually makes sense as the BYU kid stinks and the other guy is a journeyman.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Brissett to the Commanders. Winston back to the Saints. JuJu to the Patriots, for virtually the same contract that former Pat WR Jakobi Meyers got from the Raiders, which is interesting.

Winston back to the Saints is very interesting. I am a bit surprised unless he got some kind of guarantee of playing time but then why sign Carr?

As you know, I am not big on Carr....Jameis to me is just as good or better.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely huge get by the Bengals with LT Orlando Brown. They are paying him big money up front with the signing bonus, so that the deal is quite frontloaded. He can cash in again in 2-3 years, possibly with another team, before Burrow's mega-extension will be on the books. Cincy is paying big bucks at a premium position while Burrow is still on his rookie deal.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Rodgers looked bad last season but he will have a lot to prove on the Jets.

Is he a game manager now or can he still make all the plays?

Time will tell, for the Jets it actually makes sense as the BYU kid stinks and the other guy is a journeyman.

Dumbest thing the Jets can do now is overpay for what is essentially a 2 year player.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Winston back to the Saints is very interesting. I am a bit surprised unless he got some kind of guarantee of playing time but then why sign Carr?

As you know, I am not big on Carr....Jameis to me is just as good or better.

Winston feels like the Saints saved his career, unless someone else is promising a starting role I’m not surprised that he stayed there. With the Saints OL, he might get more playing time than would be expected.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:15 pm    Post subject:

Minshew to the Colts. And only for $3.5MM guaranteed, with another $2MM available in incentives. There's probably better than a 50/50 chance he starts in Week 1, even if Indy moves up for a QB at #3 or takes one at #4. Both Levis and Richardson are pretty raw, so I'd guess that Minshew will be the starter early on for them.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 12:00 am    Post subject:

We're about two and a half weeks away from Day 1 of the 2023 NFL Draft, and so it's time for a mock draft, because, hey, why not? I'll just do the 1st Round here.

1. Panthers
Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
For the first time, Young is now the betting favorite to go #1 since the Panthers acquired the pick. (It had been Young when the Bears had the pick.) Chris Mortensen reported that Young would "be the pick", and Peter King echoed those sentiments as well. We'll see if we get further signs of this as the draft approaches.

2. Texans
CJ Stroud, QB, Ohio St.
I think the Texans probably prefer Young, but it would be tough to imagine them passing on the potential that Stroud has. One thing to watch for is that Stroud has the same agent that Deshaun Watson has. Could they trade down for a big haul instead?

3. Titans
Anthony Richardson, QB, Florida
TRADE! #11, #41, and a 2024 1st for #3.
The Titans made an offer to move up to #1 before the Bears traded the pick, so we know they are interested in a potential QB of the future, as Ryan Tannehill is in the final year of his deal. Arizona's new GM is Monti Ossenfort, who just came from the Titans' front office. Perhaps the two sides will get together and that familiarity will lead to a deal. While trading with, say, the Colts would allow Arizona to select the same player that they could take at #3 anyway, they wouldn't get the kind of draft haul that Indy would offer. As long as they don't think that Will Anderson (who would likely be the pick if they stand pat) is worth more than all those draft assets, I think this is a deal that makes sense for Arizona. As for Tennessee, they can let the raw Richardson sit and learn for a year.

4. Colts
Will Anderson, EDGE, Alabama
No, I don't think the Colts would take Will Levis because I don't know that they'd like him enough. And I think Levis could slide. Instead, I think they could take Anderson and simply dip their toes back into the QB waters next year.

5. Seahawks
Tyree Wilson, EDGE, Texas Tech
There are some teams that reportedly like Wilson even more than Anderson. Even if Seattle isn't one of them, they are still filling a big area of need and getting a player at a premium position.

6. Lions
Devon Witherspoon, CB, Illinois
Witherspon was college football's best shutdown CB last year and he is a fierce tackler in run support. He isn't quite as athletic as Christian Gonzalez and he may not have the elite measurables like some other top corner prospects, but Dan Campbell specifically said that the organization values game tape above all else. I think this is a fit that makes sense.

7. Raiders
Christian Gonzalez, CB, Oregon
Speaking of Gonzalez, the Raiders are seriously bereft of CB talent other than Nate Hobbs. In the AFC West (or anywhere), yeah, that's a problem. I don't think the Raiders would look at Levis here because I think their regime is under pressure to show results this year, and he wouldn't help them in that regard. OL could certainly make sense here, too.

8. Falcons
Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
If Robinson doesn't go here, who knows how far he could fall, because he's a RB, of course, the most devalued position in the NFL. But with Arthur Smith's commitment to the run, and with Atlanta's offseason suggesting a desire to try to win ASAP, Robinson would be a win-now player that they could try to make their immediate offensive centerpiece. Their new Derrick Henry, essentially.

9. Bears
Paris Johnson, OT, Ohio St.
Though Jalen Carter would be a perfect fit for Matt Eberflus' defense, I think his off-the-field concerns will cause the club to look at the highest-upside OL possible instead. I think that is Johnson, who could man Justin Fields' blindside.

10. Eagles
Jalen Carter, DT, Georgia
Perhaps Philly is a team that thinks it can take a chance on Carter. They have another pick in the 1st Round at #30, so maybe they'd view this as an appropriate risk/reward. And two members of the 2021-22 championship Georgia defense are already on the Eagles, in Jordan Davis and Nakobe Dean. Perhaps he'd feel more comfortable in that locker room. But there's risk with Carter, there's no doubt.

11. Cardinals
Lukas Van Ness, EDGE, Iowa
TRADE! After the move down, Arizona picks up the guy it may think is the best pass rusher on the board. Arizona has to rebuild that DL, and Van Ness is a start.

12. Texans
Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio St.
The opportunity to pair JSN with his old college QB is simply too much to pass up here for the Texans, and JSN is the heavy betting favorite to go off the board as the first WR chosen.

13. Jets
Peter Skoronski, OT/OG, Northwestern
It's possible that Skoronski could have to kick inside to guard because of his lack of ideal arm length, but I'm guessing that he has a chance to stick at tackle. Technically refined, he would be an immediate help in protecting Aaron Rodgers, who will land with the Jets very soon.

14. Patriots
Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia
Jones has the type of size and length that Bill Belichick prefers in his tackles, and it should be noted that LT Trent Brown could be released with a minimal dead cap hit and that RT Riley Reiff (who was just signed) is merely a stopgap addition.

15. Packers
Nolan Smith, EDGE, Georgia
The Packers love toolsy and athletic pass rushers, and Smith fits the bill. I'll admit, it would be hilarious if the Packers finally drafted a 1st Round WR when Rodgers is about to be shown the door. Quentin Johnston, anyone?

16. Commanders
Joey Porter Jr., CB, Penn St.
Washington has a huge need for another outside CB.

17. Steelers
Darnell Wright, OT, Tennessee
Wright is an experienced SEC tackle at both LT and RT, and perhaps the OL won't be so terrible with free agent guard Isaac Seumalo coming over from the Eagles and, now, with Wright.

18. Lions
Calijah Kancey, DT, Pittsburgh
Kancey absolutely blew apart the Combine, running the fastest time for a man over 280 pounds in the history of the thing. Yeah, he's a little undersized for an interior disruptor, but when you have the production and athleticism to match at this position, you aren't likely to make it out of the top 20 picks. Aaron Donald also went to Pitt, and Brad Holmes (Detroit's GM) used to work in the Rams' front office. Perhaps he'd see Kancey as a poor man's version of Donald.

19. Buccaneers
Will Levis, QB, Kentucky
So here's where I have Levis' slide ending. He could potentially go as high as #4 to the Colts imo, but if they pass on him, and if Tennessee is the team that moves up to #3 (most draft observers think that the Cardinals want to trade down), it's just hard for me to see a fit between #5-18 unless the Raiders take him, which I don't see happening. The Bucs will hope that Levis can start for them by next season.

20. Seahawks
Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College
It's Flowers who is the second choice among oddsmakers to be the first WR chosen, perhaps surprisingly to some. He could be Tyler Lockett's heir apparent as a speed WR opposite DK Metcalf, and with the WR depth behind Metcalf and Lockett lacking, he could be Seattle's WR3 as a rookie.

21. Chargers
Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU
It might be tough for the Chargers to pass on Johnston's size/speed combo, even if the team retained Keenan Allen and still has Mike Williams and Josh Palmer. Simply put, Justin Herbert lacks a gamebreaking field-stretcher, and Johnston would give them something that they don't have. And need. I will note that if Seattle takes Johnston at #20, I think the Chargers could pivot from a WR and opt for Dalton Kincaid instead, the best pass-catching TE in the draft.

22. Ravens
Jordan Addison, WR, USC
The signing of Odell Beckham could mean that Lamar Jackson is going to stay a Raven in 2023. Lamar was big in recruiting OBJ, after all, and it would be odd if Beckham agreed to play there if Lamar was out the door. Maybe it gets worked out, after all. As Todd Monken wants to open up the offense, taking Addison would give Lamar his best aerial weaponry, by far, of his career.

23. Vikings
Deonte Banks, CB, Maryland
Byron Murphy was an excellent free agent addition, but he's a slot corner. Minnesota still needs someone outside to replace Patrick Peterson, and Banks' elite athleticism and ability to play press-man should fit well into new DC Brian Flores' scheme.

24. Jaguars
Brian Branch, S/DB, Alabama
Branch is like a Minkah Fitzpatrick type, a versatile safety who can also play some slot corner. He met extensively with Jaguars coaches at his Pro Day, and the fit is there.

25. Chiefs
Dawand Jones, OT, Ohio St.
TRADE! #31 and #95 for #25.
KC makes a move up the board to potentially get in front of teams like Dallas and Cincinnati to take the rare traits that Jones possesses. Jones is mountainous, has incredibly lengthy arms, and is quite nimble on his feet. After the Super Bowl debacle against Tampa Bay, where that game was ruined for KC because of the injured state of the OL, GM Brett Veach has taken steps to ensure that Patrick Mahomes had the best protection up front that he could find. They traded for Orlando Brown and made pricey free agent signings. Well, Brown was just allowed to walk, but they signed Jawaan Taylor to replace him. Here, they get Jones to possibly offer a RT solution, or maybe even LT eventually.

26. Cowboys
Michael Mayer, TE, Notre Dame
Mayer is not the most athletic TE in this class, nor is he the best pass-catching TE in this class. But he does everything pretty well, including block, and we know that Dallas wants to run it a lot. Perhaps they'd see him as the second coming of Jason Witten, a prolific blocker in his day.

27. Bills
Drew Sanders, LB, Arkansas
Tremaine Edmunds left in free agency, so there's a huge LB need, and Sanders could fill the vacancy.

28. Bengals
Dalton Kincaid, TE, Utah
Kincaid looks like the best pure receiving TE in the class, and Cincy certainly has a long-term need at the position.

29. Saints
Myles Murphy, EDGE, Clemson
The Saints have scant depth behind the aging Cam Jordan in terms of getting after opposing QB's, so Murphy certainly makes sense. We think that Anderson and Wilson will go 1-2 among the edge rush crop, but after that, it's an open question as to how the next few guys will slot. It could just as easily be Murphy going as the third one off the board. We'll see.

30. Eagles
O'Cyrus Torrence, OG, Florida
Torrence is considered to be the best pure guard in the class, but he does come with some concerns after a lackluster athletic showing in the pre-draft process. Namely, there could be a worry that he will be too stiff in pass protection in what's become a pass-oriented league. However, Philly (who lost Seumalo in free agency) runs the ball a ton, and perhaps Torrence's power would be a good fit in this spot.

31. Giants
Emmanuel Forbes, CB, Mississippi State
TRADE! After the move down, I think the Giants could take a look at Forbes, the ball-hawking corner who had 14 INT's in his college career, 6 of them housed for pick-6's. If Forbes weren't 166 pounds, he might be in serious consideration to go in the top 15. Having said that, his athleticism is through the roof, and guys with that kind of ball production and athleticism often hear their name called on Day 1. His aggressive tendencies could be a fit for Wink Martindale's scheme, as well.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject:

Dan Snyder is reportedly going to sell the Redskins/WFT/Commanders to a group led by 76ers owner Josh Harris and Magic Johnson for $6B.

LINK

I don't know if the world is ready for "Magic Tweets" on NFL games too!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 11:09 am    Post subject:

I don't think Magic had AIDS. It's my understanding he has HIV Human Immunodeficiency Virus not AIDS Acquired Immune Deficiency There's world of difference between AIDS and HIV.

He's been making some good sports investments. Dodgers, Major League Soccer's Los Angeles FC, WNBA's Sparks, and the Washington Commanders.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Jalen Carter would be a steal at #10 Stu....and I agree it could very well happen.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:04 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Jalen Carter would be a steal at #10 Stu....and I agree it could very well happen.

I could see Seattle taking him at 5, though they have seemingly been more wary of prospects with character concerns since they were burned with Malik McDowell a few years ago. Chicago at 9 makes sense, since they apparently had him atop their draft board when they had the #1 pick, and he'd be a perfect fit for Eberflus' defense as a 3-tech. And yes, Philly at 10 looks like his floor, at this point. They have that surplus 1st rounder at #30 so I doubt that they'd pass on him if he's there.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Bills’ GM Brandon Beane told reporters today that, after visiting with medical specialists last week, safety Damar Hamlin now has been cleared to resume full activity.

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I could see Seattle taking him at 5, though they have seemingly been more wary of prospects with character concerns since they were burned with Malik McDowell a few years ago. Chicago at 9 makes sense, since they apparently had him atop their draft board when they had the #1 pick, and he'd be a perfect fit for Eberflus' defense as a 3-tech. And yes, Philly at 10 looks like his floor, at this point. They have that surplus 1st rounder at #30 so I doubt that they'd pass on him if he's there.

Philly seems to have the philosophy that you can never have too many defensive and offensive linemen of the dominant sort and I would have to say I agree. The way to build a team in the NFL is through the lines I still believe. Well that and a great QB.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

Philly seems to have the philosophy that you can never have too many defensive and offensive linemen of the dominant sort and I would have to say I agree. The way to build a team in the NFL is through the lines I still believe. Well that and a great QB.

I could see Philly with Carter, because it would be excellent value from a talent point of view. I could also see them with Nolan Smith (who I think will end up as this year's "he went higher than we thought he would" player).

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject:

I have concerns about Tua Tagovailoa and Damar Hamlin. Both are returning to the gridiron after debilitating injuries. Another injury to either could not only be career ending it could be life threatening. I wish both well and pray they don't get hurt again. 🙏🏾

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:

I could see Philly with Carter, because it would be excellent value from a talent point of view. I could also see them with Nolan Smith (who I think will end up as this year's "he went higher than we thought he would" player).

Nolan Smith could absolutely be in play at #10 for Philly, I agree. It's an open question as to which pass rusher is the third-best this year, with Will Anderson and Tyree Wilson (in some order) considered far and away the 1-2. It could be Smith, it could be Lukas Van Ness, and it could be Myles Murphy.

And I have many changes to my mock, with a week to go until draft day. I'll probably post one more next week on the eve of the draft. But to sum up, some things floating out there:

--Not only is Stroud not close to being a lock for Houston at #2, but the Texans may not take a QB with that pick at all. Furthermore, there's been a lot of negative info on Stroud in the past week. Is it a smokescreen by someone who wants him to fall, or is this an indication that he isn't going to go as high as most thought earlier?

--There's a rumor that the Packers and Jets have agreed to a deal involving Aaron Rodgers, but that the sides are waiting to see what happens on draft day. Specifically, Green Bay might covet WR Jaxon Smith-Njigba. But they pick 15th, with the Jets scheduled to pick 13th. If JSN is on the board at #13, it's possible that the two teams will swap picks so that the Packers can be assured of getting JSN. (With New England at #14, they could be a threat to steal JSN away from the Packers if they keep their original pick at #15.) So it might be a pick swap and then the rumored 2nd round pick going to Green Bay. And if JSN isn't on the board at #13, then maybe it's the 2nd Round pick plus another conditional future pick, something like that.

--The top OL's are expected to go higher than the top WR's, and Darnell Wright, in particular, could go as high as #9 to the Bears.

--Keion White was invited to attend the draft in person in the green room, a strong sign that he has a solid shot at going in the 1st Round.

--Daniel Jeremiah thinks that it's better than 50/50 than Hendon Hooker goes in the 1st Round.

--Josh Norris believes that both Emmanuel Forbes and Anton Harrison will be 1st rounders.

--There's buzz that the freakish Darnell Washington could also go in the 1st Round and that we might see three 1st Round TE's.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 205, 206, 207 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 206 of 335
Jump to: