🏈NFL 2023 DISCUSSION THREAD🏈
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject:

I hear people using the Micah Parsons scenario a lot, in hindsight he goes a lot higher than 11 and maybe that moves Nolan up this year because of his potential upside due to athleticism / versatility.

I know people are using Bryce / CJ as some kind of #1 pick debate and it's entertaining for some, but I see Bryce as the clear #1 and like ChickenStu says I agree on Texans not being a lock for CJ. Could easily see Houston trading down from #2 if someone wants to jump the Colts at #4.

Regarding the point on TEs, I absolutely see 3 going in the first round, and Darnell has big upside if it goes right, think we could see any of the teams from 20-30 looking at a TE.

I also personally think Jamyr Gibbs has a chance for round 1, think he will be a really useful back in the NFL, big fan of his.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:41 pm    Post subject:

Rodgers trade to the Jets completed.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36282465/sources-packers-trade-aaron-rodgers-jets-multiple-picks
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:31 pm    Post subject:

Some are saying there's a lot of pressure on Rodgers to win it all next season. I don't think that's true. I don't expect them to win it next season. Having all the pieces doesn't always result in winning it all. I'll consider the trade a failure if the Jets don't win the Vince Lombardi Trophy at least once with Aaron under center.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Some are saying there's a lot of pressure on Rodgers to win it all next season. I don't think that's true. I don't expect them to win it next season. Having all the pieces doesn't always result in winning it all. I'll consider the trade a failure if the Jets don't win the Vince Lombardi Trophy at least once with Aaron under center.

But realistically, how many years does Rodgers have left in him - whether physically or mentally? While it isn't really "fair" or realistic to expect the Jets to win it in his first season, his time is running out and they absolutely should treat this upcoming season as a must-win. Brady just showed us how quickly the wheels can fall off.

I'd disagree to say that the trade would be a total failure if they don't win a SB. This is a franchise that has missed the playoffs for 12 straight years and hasn't been to a Super Bowl in 54 years. Rodgers getting them back to the playoffs would already be a huge improvement over their recent failures. But getting them to a Super Bowl would easily make the trade a success, win or lose. The only other teams with longer SB (or NFL Championship) appearance droughts are the Browns (57 years) and the Lions (65 years) - those pre-date the Super Bowl!
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:08 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
jodeke wrote:

But realistically, how many years does Rodgers have left in him - whether physically or mentally? While it isn't really "fair" or realistic to expect the Jets to win it in his first season, his time is running out and they absolutely should treat this upcoming season as a must-win. Brady just showed us how quickly the wheels can fall off.

I'd disagree to say that the trade would be a total failure if they don't win a SB. This is a franchise that has missed the playoffs for 12 straight years and hasn't been to a Super Bowl in 54 years. Rodgers getting them back to the playoffs would already be a huge improvement over their recent failures. But getting them to a Super Bowl would easily make the trade a success, win or lose. The only other teams with longer SB (or NFL Championship) appearance droughts are the Browns (57 years) and the Lions (65 years) - those pre-date the Super Bowl!

No, this trade will be a failure if the Jets don't win the SB with Rodgers. Why else did they get him then?

NYC is kinds like LA in the sense that sports fans there are hard to please and they expect nothing short of greatness. I wonder how quickly they may turn on Rodgers if he doesn't deliver a world championship.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 6:20 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
jodeke wrote:

No, this trade will be a failure if the Jets don't win the SB with Rodgers. Why else did they get him then?

NYC is kinds like LA in the sense that sports fans there are hard to please and they expect nothing short of greatness. I wonder how quickly they may turn on Rodgers if he doesn't deliver a world championship.
THIS

Listening to FirstTake. Swagoo made a great point. He said compensation wise the Packers got the best of the trade long term. They got 6 1st round picks. If Rodgers doesn't take 65% of the snaps next season they get a first round pick high enough to get a QB in the draft. They have first round picks to help with rebuilding.

Most FirstTake pundits are saying it's Super Bowl or bust for the Jets. One reason is there's no guarantee Rodgers will be there next season. His history of going into darkness is legendary.
Quote:
Before requesting the trade, Rodgers first spent four days in total darkness in southern Oregon, mostly meditating while trying to avoid walking into the walls of his roughly 300-square foot cabin.Mar 15, 2023

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:42 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I give the Aaron Rodgers experiment 2 years. Unfortunately it will look like they were fleeced in the future because they gave up those picks for a tiny window to compete.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
jodeke wrote:

THIS

Listening to FirstTake. Swagoo made a great point. He said compensation wise the Packers got the best of the trade long term. They got 6 1st round picks. If Rodgers doesn't take 65% of the snaps next season they get a first round pick high enough to get a QB in the draft. They have first round picks to help with rebuilding.

Most FirstTake pundits are saying it's Super Bowl or bust for the Jets. One reason is there's no guarantee Rodgers will be there next season. His history of going into darkness is legendary.
Quote:
Before requesting the trade, Rodgers first spent four days in total darkness in southern Oregon, mostly meditating while trying to avoid walking into the walls of his roughly 300-square foot cabin.Mar 15, 2023

They did not get 6 1st round picks....
The Packers were trying to get the Jets to give them 2 1st round picks which was the holdup.
Quote:
The Packers agreed Monday to deal quarterback Aaron Rodgers and their 2023 first-round pick (No. 15) and a 2023 fifth-round pick (No. 170) to the Jets for New York's 2023 first-round pick (No. 13), a 2023 second-round pick (No. 42), a 2023 sixth-round pick (No. 207) and a conditional 2024 second-round pick that becomes a first if Rodgers plays 65% of the plays this season, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
jodeke wrote:

THIS

Quote:

They did not get 6 1st round picks....
The Packers were trying to get the Jets to give them 2 1st round picks which was the holdup.
Quote:
The Packers agreed Monday to deal quarterback Aaron Rodgers and their 2023 first-round pick (No. 15) and a 2023 fifth-round pick (No. 170) to the Jets for New York's 2023 first-round pick (No. 13), a 2023 second-round pick (No. 42), a 2023 sixth-round pick (No. 207) and a conditional 2024 second-round pick that becomes a first if Rodgers plays 65% of the plays this season, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Monday.

OK. I misunderstood FirstTake. My point is they got the best of the trade compensation-wise.

Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Of course the Jets got Rodgers with the intent of winning it all. As they should! But this is also a franchise which hasn't been to the playoffs in 12 years or won a Super Bowl in 54 years. For the Jets, I don't see how trading for Rodgers could be considered a complete failure if they make it to a SB but lose. They literally haven't done **** as a team or franchise for decades.

I don't disagree that NYC sports fans have high expectations. However, just like LA, there's a general consensus on which team the city/fans consider the "A" team and which is the "B" team.
Dodgers : Yankees
Angels : Mets
Lakers : Knicks
Clippers : Nets
Rams : Giants
Chargers : Jets

Teams like the Dodgers/Yankees/Lakers have been so successful that anything short of a championship could be considered a failure. The Angels/Clippers/Jets have had long histories of disappointment and failure that just making it to the championship round would actually be considered an accomplishment for the franchise.

Suppose Giannis were traded to the Lakers or Clippers. If he had the exact same roster on either team, with the only difference being the jersey he wore, would him taking a Clipper team to the finals and losing be considered a failure? How about the Lakers?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
slavavov wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Of course the Jets got Rodgers with the intent of winning it all. As they should! But this is also a franchise which hasn't been to the playoffs in 12 years or won a Super Bowl in 54 years. For the Jets, I don't see how trading for Rodgers could be considered a complete failure if they make it to a SB but lose. They literally haven't done **** as a team or franchise for decades.

I don't disagree that NYC sports fans have high expectations. However, just like LA, there's a general consensus on which team the city/fans consider the "A" team and which is the "B" team.
Dodgers : Yankees
Angels : Mets
Lakers : Knicks
Clippers : Nets
Rams : Giants
Chargers : Jets

Teams like the Dodgers/Yankees/Lakers have been so successful that anything short of a championship could be considered a failure. The Angels/Clippers/Jets have had long histories of disappointment and failure that just making it to the championship round would actually be considered an accomplishment for the franchise.

Suppose Giannis were traded to the Lakers or Clippers. If he had the exact same roster on either team, with the only difference being the jersey he wore, would him taking a Clipper team to the finals and losing be considered a failure? How about the Lakers?

Once the Clippers got Kawhi and PG13, the expectation for them was to win the NBA championship. Only reaching the Finals would've been a disappointment for them (if they actually had made it there).

The Nets were considered a colossal failure because KD and Kyrie didn't even get to the ECF. It was definitely championship or bust for them.

What if the mid-80s Mets lost to the Red Sox in the 1986 World Series? Would that team still be seen as successful?

Once you have a team that can win it all, it doesn't matter to NYC or LA if it is seen as the "A" or "B" team.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject:

Lamar Jackson back to the Ravens with a 5 year extension.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Stroud within the last 30 minutes became the -2400 betting favorite to be drafted 2nd overall! Either the Texans were smokescreening all along, ownership stepped in at the last minute and overruled the front office, or someone got wind of a trade that is going to happen. My shot in the dark is that it's the Falcons coming up to #2. Perhaps they were lying about confidence in Desmond Ridder the whole time. We're about to find out!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject:

The guaranteed money was the hold-up. I'm thinking Lamar's success is going to make a dent in pockets of agent.

RAVENS
Lamar Jackson agrees to 5-year, $260 million contract extension with Ravens
baltimore

BY CBS BALTIMORE STAFF
UPDATED ON: APRIL 27, 2023 / 5:48 PM / CBS BALTIMORE

LINK

Quote:
BALTIMORE -- The Baltimore Ravens agreed on a mega deal with quarterback Lamar Jackson, the Ravens announced Thursday.

The contract extension for Jackson is for five years.

The deal is for five years worth up to $260 million, making him the highest-paid quarterback, with $185 million of the contract guaranteed.

I think these guys knew he was going to sign.

Quote:
The Ravens, this offseason, added wide receivers Odell Beckham Jr. and Nelson Agholor.

ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Trades galore in the first few picks! There's nothing like the NFL Draft.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Good job Bears, someone to protect Fields.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject:

Richardson for the Colts is a steal imo. I think he will end up being the best QB in his class.

Edit:

Last edited by BadGuy on Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject:

I am dumbfounded that Detroit took Gibbs at #12.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:22 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Richardson for the Colts is a steal imo. I think he will end up being the best QB in his class.

Edit:

Agree
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:15 am    Post subject:

As a big fan of taking best player available, I gotta say Eagles did great last night to get Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith. Tremendous value.

My Chargers, on the other hand, not entirely thrilled with that, thought there were some great options for them that they could’ve gone with.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:59 am    Post subject:

Moses wrote:
As a big fan of taking best player available, I gotta say Eagles did great last night to get Jalen Carter and Nolan Smith. Tremendous value.

My Chargers, on the other hand, not entirely thrilled with that, thought there were some great options for them that they could’ve gone with.

Howie Roseman had that whiff on Jalen Reagor, and every since then he's been murdering the draft. I had mocked Smith at #10 to them, and his O/U in betting markets was 10.5, essentially meaning that the oddsmakers thought there was a decent chance he would go at #10. Heck, some thought he could go as high as #8 to Atlanta. To come away with him at #30 is just incredible value. To get two Georgia teammates this year to join the two Georgia teammates that they got last year, and considering that none of them were reaches, it's just incredible team-building. You never know how a season will shake out, but Philly is looking like the clear NFC favorite.

Regarding the Chargers, I was thinking that they'd go with Addison if available because of the connection to the WR coach, who, if people aren't aware, was also on the Pitt coaching staff when Addison was there. Zay Flowers is faster than either Addison or Johnston so I thought he could've been a possibility, too. The Bolts lack game-breaking speed among their wideouts, and though Johnston has serious YAC capability, he's not really a downfield burner, nor is he a contested catch player despite his size. He has issues with body control and doesn't really use his hands well and has a tendency to "catch with his body." Larry Fitzgerald, he is not. Still, get him in the open field and he has some AJ Brown to his game, so it would be inaccurate to say that he can't be a game-breaker. He could end up being very good, and in a year where most of the top WR's are smaller slot types, Johnston does stand out as a potential alpha on the outside. But he hasn't shown that he plays big, if that makes sense, because of the lack of showing that he can use his big frame to win on plays downfield in contested catch situations. This could show up in the red zone also.
Moses
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:11 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Moses wrote:

Regarding the Chargers, I was thinking that they'd go with Addison if available because of the connection to the WR coach, who, if people aren't aware, was also on the Pitt coaching staff when Addison was there. Zay Flowers is faster than either Addison or Johnston so I thought he could've been a possibility, too. The Bolts lack game-breaking speed among their wideouts, and though Johnston has serious YAC capability, he's not really a downfield burner, nor is he a contested catch player despite his size. He has issues with body control and doesn't really use his hands well and has a tendency to "catch with his body." Larry Fitzgerald, he is not. Still, get him in the open field and he has some AJ Brown to his game, so it would be inaccurate to say that he can't be a game-breaker. He could end up being very good, and in a year where most of the top WR's are smaller slot types, Johnston does stand out as a potential alpha on the outside. But he hasn't shown that he plays big, if that makes sense, because of the lack of showing that he can use his big frame to win on plays downfield in contested catch situations. This could show up in the red zone also.

Yeah agree with all of this. WR a definite need, and given the cap situation with restructuring Keenan and Mike Williams, taking a wideout now is not a bad decision.

For me I watched QJ and liked the in-game speed that looked faster than his combine, thought at the line he didn't seem that strong, and maybe thought he would be a better deep threat with a QB who has a more powerful arm. He could be a good fit with Herbert, just for me I thought Nolan Smith would've been a steal at 21 for the Bolts, and even liked the idea of Dalton Kincaid too.

Mamba Forever
The Marathon Continues
Still I Rise
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:50 am    Post subject:

Winners:

Arizona
Despite getting docked before the draft even started in that trade with Philly for tampering with Jonathan Gannon, they absolutely fleeced Houston in that deal where the Texans came back up to #3 for Will Anderson. Anderson's a nice player, but he's not in the same tier as a truly explosive edge player like Myles Garrett or Nick Bosa. Arizona then used some of that windfall to come back up to get the draft's highest-upside offensive tackle in Paris Johnson, as this new regime may finally take prioritizing Kyler Murray's health seriously. This is going to be a lost year for them, but the end result of moving from 3 to 6 was a clear windfall that included getting Houston's 1st Round pick next year, and it's Houston's pick they will get, not Cleveland's (which Houston will still get), so that could very well be a top-5 pick again. Arizona could be bad enough this year to where their pick will also be a top-5 choice, so they could be in a position to really cash in next season.

Philadelphia
I already mentioned them in my previous post, but to come away with Carter and Smith at #9 and #30 and to have only give up a '24 4th rounder, it's just incredible value.

Seattle
Most people thought Seattle would opt for Carter or Tyree Wilson (or Anderson, if he had been there) at #5, but Witherspoon is an outstanding player and now Seattle has the makings of an elite corner tandem with Tariq Woolen and Witherspoon. Then they added my #1 WR in the class in Smith-Njigba, so their WR trio is highly, highly impressive. And Seattle still has 3 picks coming up later today in Rounds 2-3.

New England
They traded down from #14 to #17, got a 4th Round pick out of it (#120), and then took the falling Christian Gonzalez, who fills a need. Great work, and in allowing Pittsburgh to come to #14 to take Broderick Jones, they blocked the division rival Jets from getting Jones. This almost makes me forgive last year's debacle of picking Cole Strange in the 1st Round.

Jacksonville
Really nice work by Trent Baalke to move down twice, first from #24 to #25 and then from #25 to #27, and still get the player they wanted, offensive tackle Anton Harrison. LT Cam Robinson is facing a PED suspension, and protecting franchise QB Trevor Lawrence had to be of paramount importance. They got the player they wanted and picked up additional draft assets while doing it.

Lamar Jackson and Baltimore
Lamar got the bag. The Ravens got to stay a contender in the AFC. And they added a speedy playmaker in Zay Flowers at #22 overall, and now Lamar has a much better chance to succeed with Odell Beckham, Flowers, and former 1st Round pick Rashod Bateman, who still has promise if he can avoid injuries in '23. (And Mark Andrews, of course.) There's also some chatter that the Ravens have a real shot at trading for DeAndre Hopkins, and if that happens maybe Bateman's days on the team are numbered. Regardless, both QB and team came together, found some common ground, and now the outlook is sunny again.

NY Giants
Their secondary situation was potentially dire after '23, as they don't have anyone of note under contract for '24 at either CB or safety, so to trade up one spot to be sure of coming away with an absolutely perfect scheme fit in Deonte Banks was very much worth it.

Buffalo
Some wonder why Buffalo took a TE when they have Dawson Knox, but while Knox isn't terrible and can block, he's nothing special as a pass-catcher. Gabe Davis flopped in an extended role as the #2 receiver last season, and Buffalo lacks reliable pass-catchers behind Stefon Diggs. Kincaid is easily the best pass-catching TE in this draft and is already Buffalo's second-best receiving option. Yes, he'll be that good, and this was an infinitely better choice than, say, settling for the WR5 in a weak WR draft. Plus, the Bills are rumored to be in on D-Hop, along with the aforementioned Ravens.

Pittsburgh
They did the aforementioned deal to move up to #14 to get a much-needed youthful infusion of talent at LT with Jones, and they are going to lead off Round 2 with pick #32 with the knowledge that Joey Porter Jr. is available to them.

Losers:

Houston
Oh, Houston. Just as logic prevailed and they took the right QB in Stroud at #2 overall, they then gave up the farm for a very good player, Will Anderson, but a player who doesn't project to be a truly dominant DPOY type or even someone as good as Aidan Hutchinson from last year. Giving up next year's 1st rounder was especially egregious. Sure, if Stroud is a hit as a franchise QB, Houston fans will be happy, and Anderson is likely to be a very good player. But they still gave up far, far too much here.

Detroit
Here's the thing: Jahmyr Gibbs and Jack Campbell are both really good players. Team brass has clearly soured on DeAndre Swift, so Gibbs will take on the role they wanted Swift to play in a tandem with free agent signee David Montgomery. Meanwhile, Campbell is an athletic, smart, and tough 'backer that will improve their coverage and fit in their culture. But taking a tandem RB 12th overall? It was a gross misuse of value. Campbell was an overdraft as well, though not as egregious of one. Yes, they did get pick #34 too, so that helps, but it feels like they could have done so much more.

Will Levis
I thought he was a bust, and not only did he fall way down the board, he fell so far that there wasn't a single team that even wanted to move back into the late 1st Round to get that 5th year option on him.

NY Jets
They made the Rodgers trade where they agreed to the pick swap with Green Bay, causing them to move from #13 to #15. Broderick Jones was the last of the top 4 OL and he was available at #13. Being positioned at #15 allowed a division rival, the Patriots, to trade down and to allow another team to come up and steal Jones away. The Jets then took their allotted time on the clock to try to at least trade down to recoup some assets, and were unable to do so. In taking Will McDonald, I actually don't hate the pick as much as some do, as I think McDonald is an extremely explosive edge prospect who might be a sack artist in the NFL. Still, doing the Rodgers trade in a position to be right behind New England proved to be a losing proposition. There's no doubt that the Jets wanted one of the top 4 OL.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Love the pick of TE Michael Mayer by the Raiders.

Fearless prediction: Mayer outperforms Kincaid (first TE off the board) and ends up a Hall of Famer when he is done.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
Love the pick of TE Michael Mayer by the Raiders.

Fearless prediction: Mayer outperforms Kincaid (first TE off the board) and ends up a Hall of Famer when he is done.

I love Kincaid, personally. Reminds me of Travis Kelce in the open field. I also liked the LaPorta pick by the Lions, even with Mayer on the board. LaPorta is a really fluid mover and Iowa is a TE factory. Still, Mayer has a high floor and should be nice in both the run and pass game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 206, 207, 208 ... 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 207 of 335
Jump to: