Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 332, 333, 334, 335  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
^
I'm so intrigued by what the Chargers may or may not do at #5. I totally agree with you that a trade down could be a strong option, especially if the QB3 of the draft is still there somehow. (Of course, if that's the case for Arizona at #4, particularly if Harrison Jr. is off the board, they also represent a strong trade-down possibility right in front of the Chargers.) They have so many holes to fill, thanks to former GM Tom Telesco's top-heavy approach to roster building. The depth just is not there across the roster. And I believe that to play the way that Harbaugh wants to play, the current OL situation is not tenable. Now, that doesn't mean that the Chargers have to pick an OL at #5, or even making their first pick an OL if they do trade down. But it has to be a strong possibility.

Personally, if the first 4 picks are the top 3 QB's and Harrison Jr., I believe the best player on the board is WR Malik Nabers. I would take him before Odunze and certainly before TE Brock Bowers. And although the OL is the bigger need, it is true that the Chargers do not have a long-term go-to pass catcher on the roster for Herbert. It looks like Mike Williams will be a cap casualty and that Keenan Allen will stick around, but Allen has to be a year-to-year proposition going forward. And as good as Allen is, he's not a gamebreaker. They need that for Herbert going forward. Perhaps as new GM Joe Hortiz comes from the Ravens, who seem to just have a best player available approach to the draft, Nabers could be the pick even if they think that the OL is the biggest need area. I believe that Harbaugh's influence will be huge as it relates to the draft and personnel matters (there has been no official announcement as to which man has "final say"), but as OL is deep this year just like WR is, maybe they can still piece together a couple of OL starters after Round 1, and maybe even a decent starter in free agency.

As it stands right now, I'd lean to the pick being Nabers if the first 4 picks are the 3 QB's and Harrison Jr. But I really do think that a trade down makes a lot of sense. But if the 3 QB's and Harrison are gone, I am not sure that there will be enough of a market to move into the #5 pick. I can't see McCarthy being valued that much, for example, but I suppose you never know. We've seen crazier stuff before.

The Chargers have needed a true speed threat for Justin Herbert. Hopefully Nabers would be the guy, even though they do need help on their offensive line, especially if they're moving on from Mike Williams and since Keenan Allen doesn't have many good years left in him.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:08 am    Post subject:

This is big news: the NFL announced that the 2024 salary cap is spiking to $255.4MM, which is about $13MM more than what was expected.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Chris Mortensen, a fixture on ESPN's NFL coverage for decades, has died at the age of 72.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1764403607326052682
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:04 am    Post subject:

In not so shocking news, Jason Kelce has announced his retirement.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:45 pm    Post subject:

Russell Wilson to be released.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:02 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

$85 million dead cap hit, ouch.

Let Russ Cook is now Russ Cooked Us
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject:

As far as what teams might make sense for Wilson.

So he still wants to be a starter and probably can still find that role somewhere.

Assuming Atlanta ends up making the trade for Justin Fields, then I could see Wilson in Pittsburgh or Las Vegas.

Hard to see a lot of other places with potential starting jobs unless he maybe goes in a one year stop gap starter role in a spot like maybe New England or Atlanta if they don't get Fields.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 8:37 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

I told you guys, he isn’t a Sean Payton QB.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject:

I think Atlanta ends up with Cousins.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

It does sound like the tea leaves are reading that he is done in Minnesota.

As far as Wilson, after I posted the above it came out that the Steelers don't have any interest so his market for being a starter would seem to be very limited...Las Vegas, maybe Minnesota or Atlanta if they don't get their first choice QBs?

If Atlanta gets Cousins, where does that leave the market for Justin Fields? The fact that the Bears haven't already traded him tells me that market is soft also.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

As far as Wilson, after I posted the above it came out that the Steelers don't have any interest so his market for being a starter would seem to be very limited...Las Vegas, maybe Minnesota or Atlanta if they don't get their first choice QBs?

If Atlanta gets Cousins, where does that leave the market for Justin Fields? The fact that the Bears haven't already traded him tells me that market is soft also.

If Wilson wants to win, why would he go to Atlanta or even Las Vegas?

Minnesota may be his best bet. It has plenty of young talent, especially on offense. The Vikings are a high-quality QB away from being a real playoff threat.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 11:28 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
LakerLanny wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

If Wilson wants to win, why would he go to Atlanta or even Las Vegas?

Minnesota may be his best bet. It has plenty of young talent, especially on offense. The Vikings are a high-quality QB away from being a real playoff threat.

I really believe that Minnesota is ready to turn the page and go with a rookie QB. They are being connected to McCarthy and Maye in particular. Josh McCown (Minnesota's new QB coach) coached on the high school team that Maye played for, and the rumor mill has it that the Vikes are heavily interested in McCarthy. They'd likely have to trade up for McCarthy though, and certainly for Maye. I suppose that Penix or Nix could also be a possibility with their 2nd Round pick, or perhaps via trading back into the late 1st. Their GM, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah, is very much into the analytical aspect of the job, and I could see him wanting to turn the page on Cousins or a retread veteran and try to hit big on a rookie QB because we all know what that means in terms of the cap economics while that QB plays on his rookie deal.

I don't know if Pittsburgh is just trying to put it out there publicly that they are cool with running back Kenny Pickett and Mason Rudolph because they are trying to strengthen their negotiating position as it relates to Fields or anyone else, but my goodness, if they actually do that, they are delusional. Beyond delusional. Pittsburgh does seem like the best fit for Fields because Arthur Smith wants to employ a run-heavy scheme where even the QB can run. And despite my concerns with Fields, he's light years better than Pickett and Rudolph. If not Pittsburgh, then I could see New England as a fit for Fields if they pass on a QB.

As for Russell Wilson, he's not going to have a lot of options. Some of the QB-needy teams are going to draft QB's. Someone will trade for Fields. If he wants to start, he may not have a choice of going to a sure contender. If Las Vegas needed a QB, I mean, the team isn't awful, the WR corps is good, and the defense has been playing better under Patrick Graham. And if he did end up with, let's say, Atlanta, that division is extremely winnable. I could also see the Patriots for him; if they pass on a QB, they could just sign Wilson because he should cost next to nothing. (The Broncos are on the hook for his money regardless and Wilson is getting the same money regardless; so why lessen the Broncos' load? You make them pay for almost all of it and you sign with your new team for the minimum, thus saving your new team on the cap.) In fact, the Pats have nearly $100MM in cap space. In theory, they could sign Wilson for the minimum, draft Harrison Jr. at #3, and then spend like crazy on offensive upgrades such as Calvin Ridley and some offensive linemen. And then perhaps you go QB in next year's draft.

I could also see the Giants as a dark horse for Fields or Wilson. Wilson because he would cost next to nothing, and because Daniel Jones (who should be in his last year as a Giant anyway) may not be ready at the start of the season. I could also see them trading for Fields if the cost were right (let's say, a couple of 3rd rounders), and then simply leaving Jones on the bench if Fields is playing alright. I do not see Minnesota as a fit for either. O'Connell, from the McVay tree, wants a QB that is about precision and timing. That's not what either of these guys is all about.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:59 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:

I don't know if Pittsburgh is just trying to put it out there publicly that they are cool with running back Kenny Pickett and Mason Rudolph because they are trying to strengthen their negotiating position as it relates to Fields or anyone else, but my goodness, if they actually do that, they are delusional. Beyond delusional. Pittsburgh does seem like the best fit for Fields because Arthur Smith wants to employ a run-heavy scheme where even the QB can run. And despite my concerns with Fields, he's light years better than Pickett and Rudolph. If not Pittsburgh, then I could see New England as a fit for Fields if they pass on a QB.

Fields to Pittsburgh would seem to make so much sense.

I just don't see how they can go into next season with the Pickett/Rudolph duo at QB and think they have any realistic chance of going deep into the playoffs.

Fields is far from perfect, but he is definitely improving and has shown at times (similar to maybe a Kyler Murray) that he can be an effective NFL QB. I wonder if Pittsburgh is just trying to be coy and drive the price of a trade down or if they are really delusional enough to think Kenny Pickett is a NFL franchise QB.

My fearless predictions of where the QB Merry Go Round lands:

Chicago - Caleb Williams

Washington - Jayden Daniels

New England - Drake Maye

Atlanta - Kirk Cousins

Pittsburgh - Justin Fields (wake up Pittsburgh!)

Las Vegas - Russell Wilson or JJ McCarthy

Seattle - Michael Penix
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Russell Wilson will sign for the Steelers.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:35 pm    Post subject:

Maybe the Steelers took a look at Fields' spotty passing tape, the fact that they'd have to pay him like $25MM next year on the fifth year option, and the fact that they would have to give up some type of draft compensation for him, and they figured, hell, let's just sign Wilson for the minimum and reassess at QB next year lol.

Incidentally, a Bears reporter tweeted that if Cousins ends up re-signing in Minnesota, that the Falcons and Bears have a trade agreement in place for Fields. Cousins is the big QB domino that could happen as soon as tomorrow.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:48 am    Post subject:

There's a lot of action going on right now.

#NFLFreeAgency
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject:

Lots of big name cap cuts, 49ers cut Arik Armstead.

Pittsburgh going with Russell Wilson, no doubt he is better than Kenny Pickett but still an odd decision.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject:

So much news! Cousins to Atlanta. Barkley to the Eagles. Josh Jacobs to the Packers, and Aaron Jones released.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject:

Thats a big number for Kirk Cousins. I hope Atlanta knows what their doing.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Thats a big number for Kirk Cousins. I hope Atlanta knows what their doing.

It's basically 2 guaranteed years, with a little sprinkling of guaranteed money thrown into the 3rd year (nothing ATL couldn't walk away from). They were always going to have to guarantee at least 2 years, and they did.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject:

Raiders sign Gardner Minshew. Holy crap, there really is no market for Justin Fields. I do not see him as a fit for Minnesota or Denver at all. Maybe New England is his last hope, but I really think they want to draft a QB at #3. And if you're trading for Fields, you probably don't want him to be an unrestricted free agent next year, and it's unlikely you'd commit to the fifth-year option on him because if you're drafting a QB at 3...yeah, it's just messy for Fields.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:06 pm    Post subject:

The new NFL running back landscape:

🏈Saquon Barkley: Eagles
🏈Josh Jacobs: Packers
🏈Austin Ekeler: Commanders
🏈Tony Pollard: Titans
🏈D’Andre Swift: Bears
🏈Devin Singletary: Giants
🏈Gus Edwards: Chargers
🏈Antonio Gibson: Patriots
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
The new NFL running back landscape:

🏈Saquon Barkley: Eagles
🏈Josh Jacobs: Packers
🏈Austin Ekeler: Commanders
🏈Tony Pollard: Titans
🏈D’Andre Swift: Bears
🏈Devin Singletary: Giants
🏈Gus Edwards: Chargers
🏈Antonio Gibson: Patriots

Gus Edwards is a strange signing by the Chargers. Not sure I really get it, but clearly it is a sign they want to be more physical in the run game.

But a guy like maybe an Aaron Jones would be a nice compliment. Aaron Jones ran like an absolute beast in the second half of last season and would be a great pickup depending on the price.

Hoping the Chargers are able to pull off a trade for the 5th pick also, would love to see them trade down and get in a lot of new faces as they more than maybe any other team need a complete culture change.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Raiders sign Gardner Minshew. Holy crap, there really is no market for Justin Fields. I do not see him as a fit for Minnesota or Denver at all. Maybe New England is his last hope, but I really think they want to draft a QB at #3. And if you're trading for Fields, you probably don't want him to be an unrestricted free agent next year, and it's unlikely you'd commit to the fifth-year option on him because if you're drafting a QB at 3...yeah, it's just messy for Fields.

I think what is working against him in a lot ways is his contract timing as you mention above. As you near free agency, it really comes down to a team believing in you as a franchise QB whereas they may take a flyer on a rookie QB and know they can get out of it if need be pretty painlessly.

What did Fields dirty is Carolina being so atrocious last season that Chicago actually ended up with the top pick. If they had say the 8th pick, Fields is a Bear for sure next season. Carolina is a dumpster fire, maybe they should admit their mistake on Young and just get Fields.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:33 pm    Post subject:

^
Can't give up on Young so soon. A second year like his first, though, and it will be insanely bleak indeed.

Patriots just signed Jacoby Brissett to a 1 year, $8MM deal, with another $4MM possible via incentives. I'm guessing he could start for them and maybe the #3 overall pick has to beat him out in camp. This also makes the Patriots less likely for Fields; if you were going to make a move for him, why sign Brissett as a backup? That would make no sense. More than likely, this is a signal that they are taking a QB with the #3 overall pick.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 332, 333, 334, 335  Next
Page 333 of 335
Jump to: