Official RUSSELL WESTBROOK Thread (Traded to Utah)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:56 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
The Russ hate is beyond immature.

Oh, it's just sports fans being sports fans. It's harmless. I was a Westbrook basher -- as a basketball player -- long before it was fashionable. As far as I can tell, he's a good human being. I hope he has a good life, just not on the Lakers.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Day wrote:
The Russ hate is beyond immature.

Oh, it's just sports fans being sports fans. It's harmless. I was a Westbrook basher -- as a basketball player -- long before it was fashionable. As far as I can tell, he's a good human being. I hope he has a good life, just not on the Lakers.

Agreed. I've heard only great things about Russ off the court as a family man, philanthropist, community partner, etc.

But he's like a different man on the court.

I just wish him the best but I'm so glad he's out of my Lakers. It's been utterly miserable watching him for 1.5 seasons.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:19 am    Post subject:

Russ will be in a better situation, no doubt, but that's entirely because of his new contract.
Kudos to the team that gets his playmaking without having to hemorrhage most of their rotation caliber players in the process.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
I have no ill will towards the guy. I respect the fact that he was never going to fit, and was able to at least give a better effort this season, and keep his attitude in check for the most part.

Unfortunately for him, I feel like no matter where he goes next, unless he just picks a bad team where he can put up stats, it's going to be a bad fit. The spacing issues will always be real.

I think a team that has a smart executive/coach will utilize him as an off the bench PG who has 4 shooters around him. In that scenario, it's almost as if WB is your Center on offense. There are teams that can have success with WB playing this way (and have).

The issue is we never viewed WB as a 5 on offense. And we always had issues, as AD is not a great 3 point shooter and didn't (especially this year) have enough shooters. If you really wanted WB to succeed, you need a 1-4 offense like Dwight had in Orlando. It can work, and I can see some teams see he can do that for them.

In Houston, I give credit to MDA. He did a really good job with WB. Even then, it didn't work, because of defense (typical MDA team problem). But his tactics were the best and the one that should copied if you have WB. We sort of were willing to try it at the start of the WB era in LA, but when AD didn't shoot well and Rambis clowining Vogel anytime he didn't start Howard/DAJ it really was never going to work.

Basically IMO if WB can accept he's best used as a Center on offense, where he either attacks off the dribble with 4 shooters around him OR he sets screens and gets to the paint off the ball, he can fit some places. We never had the roster for this set up. We had a very poor executive. I know he likely won't stay in Utah, but I feel they could utilize him.

Olnyk (shoots 3s)
Lauri (shoots 3s well)
Sexton
+ 1 more spot up 3 point shooter

+ Westbrook.

Just my .02 and I have wanted him gone for ages.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject:

Best situation for Russ is Toronto, because their arms are collectively long enough to catch the passes that would have otherwise sailed out of bounds.
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 8:48 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
Batguano wrote:
It’s comical seeing all the Russ haters praying that he signs with the Clippers. As if they know better than Jerry West (the GOAT GM). Remember, this won’t be Westbrook getting paid $47 million. He will be way cheaper and surrounded by shooters. It’s an extremely low risk/high reward addition for them.

I bet you anything that Westbrook will start putting up the monster triple-doubles we were hoping from him now that he doesn’t have to share the ball with another ball-dominant player in LeBron.

Tu Lue is the type of coach that can get Westbrook to buy in and maximize his talents.

I wouldn’t be too giddy about facing a healthy Clippers in the playoffs with a Westbrook with a chip on his shoulder seeking revenge. Some of you really allow your hate for this man to cloud your judgement.

RW sucks. He is an absolute disaster of wild man with still elite athleticism, above average vision and absolutely no skills or grace. He has zero self control and his play has lost the lakers many more games than it has helped. It’s not even close. Sorry but I disagree with your post wholeheartedly.

You're genuinely delusional and everyone saying anything similar is equally delusional. He's the leading candidate for 6moy in the NBA. No skills or grace? What kind of dumb (bleep) is that lol, you're literally talking about one of the best players to ever play and this is who he's always been. He doesn't fit on this team at all, if you put him on a team that didn't have 3 max players at the top dealing with injuries he could still lead them to the playoffs just like he's done many years before.

You hyper focus on every mistake and ignore any good. This is ALWAYS who Russ has been, during the MVP's and the playoff runs, this is who he is. He has always been aggressive to a fault, had a lot of turnovers, etc. To sit and say he has no skills is just so ignorant.

Sorry he sucks. No amount of you acting high an mighty and calling others ignorant cause they disagree with you is going to change that. He’s awful and he’s getting bought out. Players that don’t suck don’t get traded along with a protected 1st with that pick being the main dish and the player being bought out. He’s terrible and is gonna be out of the league soon. I will celebrate with a big party when he’s out of the league. I’ll even invite you to the party and buy you a beer too, cause we Laker family! Gooooo Lakers!
Day
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject:

kfkilla wrote:
Day wrote:
kfkilla wrote:
Batguano wrote:
It’s comical seeing all the Russ haters praying that he signs with the Clippers. As if they know better than Jerry West (the GOAT GM). Remember, this won’t be Westbrook getting paid $47 million. He will be way cheaper and surrounded by shooters. It’s an extremely low risk/high reward addition for them.

I bet you anything that Westbrook will start putting up the monster triple-doubles we were hoping from him now that he doesn’t have to share the ball with another ball-dominant player in LeBron.

Tu Lue is the type of coach that can get Westbrook to buy in and maximize his talents.

I wouldn’t be too giddy about facing a healthy Clippers in the playoffs with a Westbrook with a chip on his shoulder seeking revenge. Some of you really allow your hate for this man to cloud your judgement.

RW sucks. He is an absolute disaster of wild man with still elite athleticism, above average vision and absolutely no skills or grace. He has zero self control and his play has lost the lakers many more games than it has helped. It’s not even close. Sorry but I disagree with your post wholeheartedly.

You're genuinely delusional and everyone saying anything similar is equally delusional. He's the leading candidate for 6moy in the NBA. No skills or grace? What kind of dumb (bleep) is that lol, you're literally talking about one of the best players to ever play and this is who he's always been. He doesn't fit on this team at all, if you put him on a team that didn't have 3 max players at the top dealing with injuries he could still lead them to the playoffs just like he's done many years before.

You hyper focus on every mistake and ignore any good. This is ALWAYS who Russ has been, during the MVP's and the playoff runs, this is who he is. He has always been aggressive to a fault, had a lot of turnovers, etc. To sit and say he has no skills is just so ignorant.

Sorry he sucks. No amount of you acting high an mighty and calling others ignorant cause they disagree with you is going to change that. He’s awful and he’s getting bought out. Players that don’t suck don’t get traded along with a protected 1st with that pick being the main dish and the player being bought out. He’s terrible and is gonna be out of the league soon. I will celebrate with a big party when he’s out of the league. I’ll even invite you to the party and buy you a beer too, cause we Laker family! Gooooo Lakers!

[DELETED] even if he does get bought out he'll get picked up by a team, already reports of a bunch of teams willing to sign him. I guess you feel good about yourself calling a multi-millionaire who's one of the best to ever play a game "terrible". I hope things get better for you man.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject:

Mods can we please lock this thread? it brings ALOT of bad memories.

Change the title to

"Thank god BRICK is gone"
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 9:57 am    Post subject:

Good riddance. I wouldn't be surprised if he was out of the league next year like dwight and melo.

I'd be more appreciative of his character if he had been as professional last year as this one.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:48 am    Post subject:

Russell Westbrook is the worst basketball player in Lakers history, relative to contract, status, and playing time. His impact worsens even moreso when you consider the players and draft picks that the Lakers gave up to acquire him.

The Lakers were also 58-79 during his tenure. No playoff appearance. An on-court disaster. Truly the absolute worst tenure of any Lakers star/superstar.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject:

Can we get this thread moved please? So I never have to see this thread in this side of the forum again.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject:

Perkins confirmed on ESPN that Russ arguing with Darvin and Phil Handy is what caused AD to be bummed out during Lebron's record breaking moment.

Dave McMenamin then followed up with The Lakers removed a vampire in the locker room.
In other words Russ was sucking the blood out of the locker room with his bad attitude.

Sure we don't need these ESPN media guys to tell us Lakers fans who watched every minute of how they play together, but I just thought it was interesting to have an actual report of it.

The beginning of the end for the Brodie?

In the end he was a train wreck here in Lakers Land but I still wish this guy the best of luck going forward. Hoping the Heat get him.
LakersARETheGOAT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Westbrook for what he’s done and hasn’t done. He tried his best that’s all I can say. I’m truly just glad i don’t have to see that awful bank shot middy anymore. best of luck to him.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:41 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The Lakers believe there is an addition-by-subtraction element to dealing the nine-time All-Star. The situation had become untenable over the past week or so, multiple team and league sources close to the situation told The Athletic, all of whom were granted anonymity so that they could speak freely. Two sources described the situation as “toxic.” And while Lakers owner Jeanie Buss was known to be against the idea of waiving Westbrook, sources say there was a strong sense from the coaching staff that it might be necessary if no trade was forthcoming.

Lakers coaches had grown frustrated with Westbrook’s recent behavior, and he was known to be upset with being openly mentioned in trade discussions. Both sides were ready to move on from an imperfect partnership.

Quote:
During the second quarter of Tuesday’s 133-130 loss to the Thunder, Westbrook and assistant coach Phil Handy had a verbal confrontation on the sideline — their second in roughly a month — which eventually earned the Lakers a delay of game warning. That upset the bench and led to a more contentious argument between Westbrook and head coach Darvin Ham during intermission, as first reported by ESPN on Wednesday.

Halftime of Westbrook’s Lakers finale was an emblimatic ending to his time with the franchise. Ham went, well, HAM on the entire team because of its porous defensive effort in the first half. The Lakers had given up 76 first-half points to a young Thunder team that entered play averaging just 58.1 points in every other first half of this season.

So Ham, whose offseason pitch to land this coaching job had included a promise to communicate directly, candidly and fearlessly with his players, did just that when the team reached the locker room. He admonished them for focusing too much on their individual play, and implored them to take more pride and compete.

“His message was that it’s bulls—,” one team source said.

But when Ham turned his attention to Westbrook and his specific individual struggles, sources say the future Hall of Famer appeared to take it personally. As had been the case so many times before, when the coaching staff struggled with Westbrook’s unwillingness to be held accountable for his play, Westbrook wasn’t hearing it.

Ham, sources say, was upset at a number of on-court developments from the first half. But the final straw, it seems, was Westbrook’s choice to walk off the court so slowly after he was replaced late in the second quarter. For both parties, the topic of great disagreement centered on respect — or lack thereof. In the end, with the tension in the room adding to the toxicity of their environment yet again, they agreed to disagree.

PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:46 pm    Post subject:

Yikes, been a day of hit pieces
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:48 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
The Lakers believe there is an addition-by-subtraction element to dealing the nine-time All-Star. The situation had become untenable over the past week or so, multiple team and league sources close to the situation told The Athletic, all of whom were granted anonymity so that they could speak freely. Two sources described the situation as “toxic.” And while Lakers owner Jeanie Buss was known to be against the idea of waiving Westbrook, sources say there was a strong sense from the coaching staff that it might be necessary if no trade was forthcoming.

Lakers coaches had grown frustrated with Westbrook’s recent behavior, and he was known to be upset with being openly mentioned in trade discussions. Both sides were ready to move on from an imperfect partnership.

Quote:
During the second quarter of Tuesday’s 133-130 loss to the Thunder, Westbrook and assistant coach Phil Handy had a verbal confrontation on the sideline — their second in roughly a month — which eventually earned the Lakers a delay of game warning. That upset the bench and led to a more contentious argument between Westbrook and head coach Darvin Ham during intermission, as first reported by ESPN on Wednesday.

Halftime of Westbrook’s Lakers finale was an emblimatic ending to his time with the franchise. Ham went, well, HAM on the entire team because of its porous defensive effort in the first half. The Lakers had given up 76 first-half points to a young Thunder team that entered play averaging just 58.1 points in every other first half of this season.

So Ham, whose offseason pitch to land this coaching job had included a promise to communicate directly, candidly and fearlessly with his players, did just that when the team reached the locker room. He admonished them for focusing too much on their individual play, and implored them to take more pride and compete.

“His message was that it’s bulls—,” one team source said.

But when Ham turned his attention to Westbrook and his specific individual struggles, sources say the future Hall of Famer appeared to take it personally. As had been the case so many times before, when the coaching staff struggled with Westbrook’s unwillingness to be held accountable for his play, Westbrook wasn’t hearing it.

Ham, sources say, was upset at a number of on-court developments from the first half. But the final straw, it seems, was Westbrook’s choice to walk off the court so slowly after he was replaced late in the second quarter. For both parties, the topic of great disagreement centered on respect — or lack thereof. In the end, with the tension in the room adding to the toxicity of their environment yet again, they agreed to disagree.

Respect to Russ means kissing his behind and catering to him as a future HoFer.

Respect never means his own accountability or admitting that he can't shoot and is a turnover machine.

That creates a class system among the rest of the team. I get not yelling at Bron or AD...Russ thinks he's in that class and he ain't.

For him to do all this garbage during Bron's night...well...that's some selfish ass (bleep) right there if you ask me.

A perfect example of who he is as a teammate.

Been a fan since '78...NEVER been happier to see a player get traded.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
Yikes, been a day of hit pieces

Truth comes out when there's no reason to hide it anymore.

#BannersOverBillboards
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject:

Irrelevant thread
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject:

ArminNBA wrote:
Russell Westbrook is the worst basketball player in Lakers history, relative to contract, status, and playing time. His impact worsens even moreso when you consider the players and draft picks that the Lakers gave up to acquire him.

The Lakers were also 58-79 during his tenure. No playoff appearance. An on-court disaster. Truly the absolute worst tenure of any Lakers star/superstar.

+ Infinity

ZERO f'ing humility out of this guy.

I don't want to hear one word out of his apologists.

His play is trash and his attitude is somehow worse.

#BannersOverBillboards
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject:

I'm very glad Russ the basketball player is off this team. His style just made it miserable to watch. Now the only ugly thing about our team will be Ham's rotations.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:52 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Irrelevant thread

Let people vent dawg.

If you don't want to read it, ignore it.

I LOVE MY LAKERS!

That dude tried to do to us what Hayden Christensen and Disney did to Star Wars.

#BannersOverBillboards
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Don Draper wrote:
I'm very glad Russ the basketball player is off this team. His style just made it miserable to watch. Now the only ugly thing about our team will be Ham's rotations.

Hopefully not with Bev gone too.

#BannersOverBillboards
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:54 pm    Post subject:

Does he even agree to a buyout? I'm not so sure. I think the Jazz just send him home and he gets a 2 year MLE on a stupid team like the Hornets next year.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Can we get this thread moved please? So I never have to see this thread in this side of the forum again.

It'll get moved some point soon, but I think people still want to get a little closure on this chapter.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject:

Never was much of a fan, but I ain't gonna bash him on his way out. Hope he is happy wherever he lands. But I'm not gonna miss him.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 421, 422, 423, 424, 425, 426  Next
Page 422 of 426
Jump to: