AUSTIN REAVES (four-year, $56 million Early Bird maximum contract)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 177, 178, 179  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:45 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Put some numbers together to see how Reaves compared to Steve Nash, who I always thought was an underrated, very efficient scorer (had some really nice TS% in his career) despite lacking elite speed/athleticism which he made up for with IQ and being shifty. I dunno, sounds a lot like where Reaves is headed. Anyway...

Steve Nash (23 Years Old): 55.6 TS%, 19.6 USG, 21.9 MPG, 9.1 PPG, 3.4 APG, 2.1 RPG, 1.3 TO
Austin Reaves (23 Years Old): 60.0 TS%, 12.4 USG, 23.2 MPG, 7.2 PPG, 1.8 APG, 3.2 RPG, 0.7 TO

Steve Nash (24 Years Old): 47.1 TS%, 15.1 USG, 31.7 MPG, 7.5 PPG, 5.9 APG, 2.9 RPG, 2.1 TO
Austin Reaves (24 Years Old): 66.1 TS%, 14.8 USG, 27.6 MPG, 11.0 PPG, 2.6 APG, 2.9 RPG, 1.4 TO

I think Nash was a better ball handler at the same age, but if you give Reaves the same on the ball role (like he had against Memphis), I think his assist numbers go up (as they did against Memphis). I see some comparison here. Its the Chris Paul mold too - guys who just know who to work the seems and position well. If Reaves can keep improving his handle, who knows, maybe one day the comparisons won't be so far off.

Just me, but I wouldn't put any limit on this guy. Not with the way he's showing his rate of development and decision making.

Many people will laugh at you for this, but I’m sure it has entered all their minds… including mine. Obviously Nash is quicker, has better handles and seems to have faster twitch muscles, but I completely get where you are coming from.

Now do Kobe and Max Christie 😂
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:04 am    Post subject:

I think Caruso would put AR in hell if AR tries to dribble a lot. Lucky for us AR is smart and isn’t going to hold the ball too long if that were to happen.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:49 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Put some numbers together to see how Reaves compared to Steve Nash, who I always thought was an underrated, very efficient scorer (had some really nice TS% in his career) despite lacking elite speed/athleticism which he made up for with IQ and being shifty. I dunno, sounds a lot like where Reaves is headed. Anyway...

Steve Nash (23 Years Old): 55.6 TS%, 19.6 USG, 21.9 MPG, 9.1 PPG, 3.4 APG, 2.1 RPG, 1.3 TO
Austin Reaves (23 Years Old): 60.0 TS%, 12.4 USG, 23.2 MPG, 7.2 PPG, 1.8 APG, 3.2 RPG, 0.7 TO

Steve Nash (24 Years Old): 47.1 TS%, 15.1 USG, 31.7 MPG, 7.5 PPG, 5.9 APG, 2.9 RPG, 2.1 TO
Austin Reaves (24 Years Old): 66.1 TS%, 14.8 USG, 27.6 MPG, 11.0 PPG, 2.6 APG, 2.9 RPG, 1.4 TO

I think Nash was a better ball handler at the same age, but if you give Reaves the same on the ball role (like he had against Memphis), I think his assist numbers go up (as they did against Memphis). I see some comparison here. Its the Chris Paul mold too - guys who just know who to work the seems and position well. If Reaves can keep improving his handle, who knows, maybe one day the comparisons won't be so far off.

Just me, but I wouldn't put any limit on this guy. Not with the way he's showing his rate of development and decision making.

Many people will laugh at you for this, but I’m sure it has entered all their minds… including mine. Obviously Nash is quicker, has better handles and seems to have faster twitch muscles, but I completely get where you are coming from.

Nash was Nash because of not just his otherworldly handles but his soccer-star footwork even in his early growth years when his stats were mediocre to poor. It's fine to set Nash as an aspirational direction for Reaves - and I would love nothing better than for him to get to that level - but it really is setting unrealistic expectations for a kid who is going to be just fine even if he does not reach Nash's level.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:45 am    Post subject:

I remember getting grief from some here last season when I said that AR could be our future starting guard.

Turns out that's a real possibility, and not b/c we are a terrible team too.

I will be so disappointed if we let AR go.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I remember getting grief from some here last season when I said that AR could be our future starting guard.

I doubt we will let AR walk. I want to see DLO and AR as our starting backcourt for the next 4 years.

DLO has better handles than AR. AR and DLO have similar play making abilities and court vision. Beasley can run around the court and get opened better than DLO and AR. So it just depends what the team needs from the starters, but AR should be up there one way or another.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I remember getting grief for saying AR was the Lakers 3rd best player before season started (you could argue DLO is now 3rd best, especially offensively).

Some were saying are you crazy? It’s Kendrick Nunn!
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Nash was Nash because of not just his otherworldly handles but his soccer-star footwork even in his early growth years when his stats were mediocre to poor. It's fine to set Nash as an aspirational direction for Reaves - and I would love nothing better than for him to get to that level - but it really is setting unrealistic expectations for a kid who is going to be just fine even if he does not reach Nash's level.
´

The leap Nash made is absolutely unique. He was almost a neglectable player until his 5th year, when he was 26yo or so. Three years later, he's an MVP.

And Nash wasn't an underrated scorer. He's the only guy to be 4 times in the 50-40-90 club, the only other player to be there multiple times was Bird, twice. He wasn't prolific, but very, very efficient.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject:

The whole point of a comp is choose someone inspirational. I mean, not like someone is going to come in here and say I think one day Reaves might be a Matthew Deladova.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
The whole point of a comp is choose someone inspirational. I mean, not like someone is going to come in here and say I think one day Reaves might be a Matthew Deladova.

Sure, but it's only inspirational if it's a meaningful comparison.

This one isn't.

Nash was a late bloomer who had a slow start to his career. So his early stats weren't amazing. Reaves (and frankly a lot of players) had comparable or better early stats to Nash. It doesn't mean they are going to have the same unique jump that Nash did.

You could actually argue that having stats comparable to Nash's pedestrian early stats is a negative rather than a positive, because 99.9999% of players don't have the huge leap Nash did.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Reaves reminds me of young Harden coming off the bench, obviously much older coming into the NBA but he's special
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject:

what's reaves' next contract up to now, $15m per? lol
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:09 pm    Post subject:

So good for this team.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
acer77
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:37 pm    Post subject:

Told you he was better than Caruso.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject:

acer77 wrote:

C'mon man.
Different games.
But I love me some Mr. TS%
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
SGSD32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject:

I don't know the comp... dude's just a baller.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:48 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
what's reaves' next contract up to now, $15m per? lol

Love the guy. He has it all.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject:

When Austin was asked about Dlo in the press conference.. he gave an uncontrolled mancrush blush.. like he been watching his game for years..

He held back and said he is a very smart player we can trust not to make wild plays etc..
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 10:54 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
acer77 wrote:

C'mon man.
Different games.

Would love to have both.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm praying that the Lakers don't Alex Caruso this guy man....

His price just keeps going up and up every time he plays like tonight.

Definitely playing pass that $10m projection right now.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:12 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
I'm praying that the Lakers don't Alex Caruso this guy man....

His price just keeps going up and up every time he plays like tonight.

Definitely playing pass that $10m projection right now.

I think he loves being here more than money.. Bron AD Vando Dlo .. he gets to learn from and practice with and compete with.. any gym rats dream and for KOBE's team ... sheesh.. he is in bball geek heaven
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 11:19 pm    Post subject:

He is what a real starter looks like unlike Malik Beasley.

- A very efficient scorer.
- Capable of making shots from ANYWHERE on the court.
- Very good secondary/3rd ball handler at SG.
- Creates good looks for both himself, and his teammates well.
- complements DLO, Lebron and AD EXTREMELY well.
- and most importantly, a near elite defender. A valuable trait for any role player.

This game SHOULD be the final nail in the coffin for Beasley as a starter. But because this is Ham, we are going to suffer from terrible starts in the 1st quarter because of it.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
acer77 wrote:

C'mon man.
Different games.

Reaves is better on offense and Caruso is better on defense. But, the difference in defensive ability is no where near the difference in offensive ability.

Overall Reaves is quite a bit better. Wish we had both smh
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject:

It’s time to start Reeves. I was skeptical to start the season but dude has really elevated his game. The 3 guard line up looked good against the Raptors to close…still not comfortable committing to it but…it’s time to bench Beasley and start Reeves.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:31 am    Post subject:

I heard he doesn't have handles but he sure does a good job of crossing over him opponent to create space for that mid range leaner/banker.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:55 am    Post subject:

What kind of contract is Reaves playing himself into? Happy for him but a little wistful about what it means for the Lakers' cap flexibility lol.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 177, 178, 179  Next
Page 59 of 179
Jump to: