AUSTIN REAVES (four-year, $56 million Early Bird maximum contract)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:41 am    Post subject:

The bench player seems to consistently show up in big games.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:11 am    Post subject:

He scores 15 points in the first quarter and then they barely go to him the rest of the game.

Freaking tired of Ham
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:23 am    Post subject:

manlisten wrote:
It wouldn't be an incremental difference given that Austin has been among the league's worst defenders this season. But it would also require an adequate replacement which might not be readily available. On this roster Austin might be the best option until Max hopefully develops. But I've never seen a team with two defensive liabilities in the backcourt win a championship and that will eventually rear its ugly head.

DRPM - Reaves : -.06, Russell -1, Clarkson -3.1
Crafted DPM - Reaves : -1.1, Russell -1.1, Clarkson -2.8
DLebron - Reaves : -.8, Russell -1.2, Clarkson -2.3

Used Russell and Clarkson for reference. Clarkson is statically the worst combo guard defensively in the league. Reaves is better than both Russell and Clarkson and rates between 50-60 as far as worst defensive players in the league. So stop the nonsense please.

I do agree that you cannot contend with both him and Russell starting, unless you back them up with 3 other good defenders.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:43 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
manlisten wrote:
It wouldn't be an incremental difference given that Austin has been among the league's worst defenders this season. But it would also require an adequate replacement which might not be readily available. On this roster Austin might be the best option until Max hopefully develops. But I've never seen a team with two defensive liabilities in the backcourt win a championship and that will eventually rear its ugly head.

Used Russell and Clarkson for reference. Clarkson is statically the worst combo guard defensively in the league. Reaves is better than both Russell and Clarkson and rates between 50-60 as far as worst defensive players in the league. So stop the nonsense please.

I do agree that you cannot contend with both him and Russell starting, unless you back them up with 3 other good defenders.

I don't even think the bolded is true. Only one of Russell or Reaves is tolerable. Jamal Murray level is the worst it can be.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
The bench player seems to consistently show up in big games.

He's the only one other than LeBron capable of beating ball pressure. In other words, nothing has changed from last season.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 4:38 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
manlisten wrote:

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that you didn't cite defensive rating, depm or any metric you feel would undermine your agenda. And oddly enough you didn't provide anything to even refute the statement that Reaves is one of the worst defenders in the league. It's not like this is some controversial take. Reaves is a bad defender. The Laker defense significantly improves when he's on the bench so it seems logical to suggest he'd have more of an impact as a bench player. You can try to spin it by pointing out other bad defenders but it doesn't actually mean Reaves is any good on that end either.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Reaves has upped his Pt/Ast/Reb averages up to 16/5.5/4.1 on the season. Here's the list of other players who have at least those averages in each category.

Luka (super max)
Jokic (super max)
Sabonis (max)
Harden (max)
LeBron (super max)
Cade (max to be)
Lillard (super max)
Booker (super max)
J Murray (max)
Giannis (super max)
SGA (max)
Rozier (wow)
Mitchell (max)
S Barnes (max to be)
Ingram (near max)
D Murray (wow)
Fox (max)
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:51 am    Post subject:

Reaves also is getting close to the 50/40/90 club

Right now he's shooting 50/38.5/86 and he had a horrible start to the season so he's essentially shooting at that rate the second half of the season.

He also has the same rate of assists as a player like Fox who has 30% usage rate with only a 20% usage rate.

I feel like he's frustratingly passive sometimes but I also feel like if we had a coach who used him better then he'd rise to the occasion.

The last game he had 15 points and then they stopped going to him because Ham wanted to feed AD and Bron.

You can't afford to use Reaves and not let him shoot or create.

He's not a good defender so if you put him in the corner then you might as well take him out if he's not used as an offensive weapon.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Terrible gutless play from Reaves.

How can old men like Curry and Paul consistently outhustle a young man?

The thing that really pissed me off was when he had an open shot and he threw it back to DLo because he wasn't feeling his shot.

Well Austin, if you can't shoot, there's no point for you to be playing.

You have to take the shot even if you are having an off night.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:50 am    Post subject:

Great game by Austin.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject:

Don't be sleeping on the Rattler He is using his imagination right now to figure out how Reaves, Rui, Winsdiddie, Dlo, Prince are going to steamroll the Bucks while Bron and AD sit out

Coach Kerr really enjoyed coaching Saucetin Reaves The Arkansas Rattler

What did he call him.. not glue guy but "The Connector"
https://sports.yahoo.com/team-usa-head-coach-steve-074449435.html
Quote:
“He fits in wherever we put him; that’s the beauty of Austin,” Kerr said. “He’s a connector. He’s a hell of a basketball player. He’s physical, shoots and passes it. Just so poised out there all the time. He’s a guy who enhances any lineup that he plays with.

“… Just feel, vision, awareness, and understanding of the game,” said Kerr of what makes Reaves a “connector.” “The ball just goes to the right spot, the right cut is made. Austin made a play yesterday where he made a drive and kick; he was kind of behind the defense, and he worked completely behind the defense, flashed kind of in the middle of the paint, caught it and swung it through. He had feel; you have to have awareness to make a play like that. So connectors are guys who make those types of plays, and the game just makes sense, and you end up getting open shots.”

https://www.latimes.com/sports/lakers/story/2022-06-13/los-angeles-lakers-austin-reaves-arkansas-roots-nba-fame

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10088110-warriors-steve-kerr-told-lakers-austin-reaves-hes-not-really-over-playoff-series
"Steve, basically, the first conversation we had was him being like, 'You know, I'm still not really over what you and y'all did to us this postseason," Reaves said, per Dan Woike of the Los Angeles Times. "'But much rather be coaching you than coaching against you.'"
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject:

just reading through the latimes link I posted

Quote:
So before the NBA draft, his agent wanted to know why he wanted to do this.

Was it the money? The cars and the clothes? The women? The fame?

“I looked him in his eyes,” Reaves said. “And I was like, ‘To tell everybody to f— off.’ My whole life, I’ve been too skinny. Not athletic enough. At one point I wasn’t skilled enough. Everybody found excuses for me not to. … It was always, ‘We’re gonna find something about him that he can’t do good enough to make it.’

“Yeah, so it was a good feeling to just tell everyone to f— off.”

Everyone, it turns out, includes the cows.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Quote:

“I looked him in his eyes,” Reaves said. “And I was like, ‘To tell everybody to f— off.’ My whole life, I’ve been too skinny. Not athletic enough. At one point I wasn’t skilled enough. Everybody found excuses for me not to. … It was always, ‘We’re gonna find something about him that he can’t do good enough to make it.’

defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:54 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:

Quote:

Sometimes you have to tell everyone to eff off!
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:56 pm    Post subject:

Shooting guard AR not needing to set the offense is pretty good huh
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:59 pm    Post subject:

AR is nuts, man. He takes some big shots, and makes all kinds of plays happen tonight. Got a big triple double with 14 big rebounds tonight and 29 points, many of which were in the clutch. He ALSO made his free throws down the stretch, just like seemingly every Laker who had to.
computernerd
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:00 pm    Post subject:

For all those people who’ve been talking ish about the Lakers guards all season, saying they ain’t athletic enough and can’t defend and we should trade one or both of them, how you like them now? The Laker twosome tonight, 58 pts, 21 rebounds and 22 assists. The Bucks backcourt, including superstar Damian Lillard, 48, 8, and 9. Put some respect on their names.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:03 pm    Post subject:

Forgot to mention, AR's defense down the stretch was pretty good. He got a couple blocks tonight, and he was iso'd on Middleton a number of times but still played him tough with good challenges. Chased Dame and Beas around a lot tonight for some tough challenges. Had a really soft foul called on a 3 point attempt by Dame, at least in my opinion it was soft. Drew an offensive foul or two. Just made things happen defensively when we sorely needed it.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Forgot to mention, AR's defense down the stretch was pretty good. He got a couple blocks tonight, and he was iso'd on Middleton a number of times but still played him tough with good challenges. Chased Dame and Beas around a lot tonight for some tough challenges. Had a really soft foul called on a 3 point attempt by Dame, at least in my opinion it was soft. Drew an offensive foul or two. Just made things happen defensively when we sorely needed it.

He did the same move Dame did, knowing the refs had to call it right after they gave it to Dame, IQ is solid
Jamesikan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject:

[quote="governator"][quote="Theseus"]Forgot to mention, AR's defense down the stretch was pretty good. He got a couple blocks tonight, and he was iso'd on Middleton a number of times but still played him tough with good challenges. Chased Dame and Beas around a lot tonight for some tough challenges. Had a really soft foul called on a 3 point attempt by Dame, at least in my opinion it was soft. Drew an offensive foul or two. Just made things happen defensively when we sorely needed it.[/quote]

He did the same move Dame did, knowing the refs had to call it right after they gave it to Dame, IQ is solid[/quote]

I noticed that too. Very good reading of the situation.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:17 pm    Post subject:

Like I said, when he and DLO are playing well, they're one of the best backcourts in the league. Fantastic game from AR tonight.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:22 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Like I said, when he and DLO are playing well, they're one of the best backcourts in the league. Fantastic game from AR tonight.

I’m not quite there yet but mos def outplayed Dame and Middleton in their own house
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Best non rookie contract in the nba
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Best non rookie contract in the nba

Yep. And his backcourt mate at $17M this season is right up there.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:17 pm    Post subject:

Another great game by Austin.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177, 178, 179  Next
Page 176 of 179
Jump to: