I think a lot of people are just trying to COPE with the Westbrook situation
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I think a lot of people are just trying to COPE with the Westbrook situation

Nonamehero wrote:
By thinking positive.

But seriously if this trade haven’t gone through.
I don’t know why anyone in this world would think this is a great idea.

Westbrook is subtraction by addition in his normal state.
Yes MAYBE somehow we can get this to work, but it is definitely not given.
And the fit is just so bad, that even if it works, the ceiling is not high, what he brings to the table is very redundant with what Lebron brings.
You don’t give up so much assets for this type of risk.

If he was able to come in on MLE or sth, that would make sense.
I see people grasping at the fact he WAS a MVP a few seasons ago, Malone and Payton were considered top players too before coming to LA, how did that work out. Though in that scenario, we didn’t gut our roster for them, so it was worth the risk.

He can average triple double, cool put him on your fantasy league, but he is not a winning player, he makes bone headed plays over and over in the playoff. Even last year in the playoff, he make a lot of boneheaded plays.
Beal was the only one keeping them in games.

If we given that much for Bradley Beal, I would understand, he is a great fit.
But in no universe is westbrick worth it and on top his crazy salary.

Like wtf did we offer a package for Beal and then wizard said naw but you can have westbrick for the same offer, and we just said yes??

And yes we need to trade kuzma and Harrell, but we need to get someone that fits in return, and not accept a player that wizards wanted to get rid of anyways.

And on top of that we offered KCP and a pick??! Wtf is going on?
KCP is a positive contribution to the team in term of defense and shooting, yes his shooting is streaky sometimes, but he fits on this team, which is a big question mark for Westbrick.
And why the heck didn’t wizard give us a pick for us instead??

And yes Lebron and AD are buddies with Westbrick.
But you don’t make a team with just buddies, and players can be the worst GM, hence MJ.
You can have 2 players that hate each other and still work on the court.
Hence Kobe and Shaq.

Brotherly love ain’t gonna get us buckets if there is no spacing.

And spacing is not the most worrying aspect.

It is how is it realistic to expect a 32 years old westbrick to suddenly stop being boneheaded in playoff when he been doing it his whole career?

Why is that even a realistic expectation?

If the Lakers add the 2 vet mins I think they will tomorrow at 6pm EST, that's ball game for the league:

Dwight
Melo

If the Lakers retain THT and Caruso at team friendly numbers, we are on track to exceed even our expectations.

Westbrook by himself doesn't fit - no question...but adding players we know work around LeBron and AD? That works. At that point, we can treat Westbrook EXACTLY how we should and EXACTLY how Golden State treated Durant:

Westbrook becomes a MERC.

That's all we need from him. We don't have to change our team to fit him. We just adjust our schemes to include what he does best. He is a scorer who can create shots for others with the downhill pressure he creates. He doesn't efficiently put teams on his back like LeBron.

I was opposed to Westbrook because of the poor fit. Now that we have him, my coaching instincts have kicked in and I'm processing how we make it work.

So sure, that's coping. But that's part of accepting REALITY and being successful no matter what life throws at you.

There is NO REALITY in which on paper Kuzma/KCP/Montrezl/pick is worth Westbrook's talent - period. We won that trade. It may not be a perfect fit but that's not a built in excuse for failure. We upgraded our roster so now it's time to make it work.

If you're not interested in making it work, what are you doing here??
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:26 pm    Post subject:

BRO

We were THIS CLOSE to getting Buddy. I've been trying to make this happen for 3 years!!! This is would've been my moment. MY GUY.

Instead we get Westbrook, most certainly NOT MY GUY.

Instead of ecstatic jubilation, I am experiencing GREAT ANGER AND PAIN.

WHY GOD WHY????

What was this thread about again?
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
BRO

We were THIS CLOSE to getting Buddy. I've been trying to make this happen for 3 years!!! This is would've been my moment. MY GUY.

WHY GOD WHY????

Have a beer
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
The Lebrons wrote:
BRO

WHY GOD WHY????

Have a beer

I need something much stronger my friend.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
BRO

WHY GOD WHY????

Getting buddy would have been a smooth transition.

And make us instantly better.

Our FO really screwed up.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: I think a lot of people are just trying to COPE with the Westbrook situation

GameCock-MD wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
By thinking positive.

And the fit is just so bad, that even if it works, the ceiling is not high, what he brings to the table is very redundant with what Lebron brings.

I see people grasping at the fact he WAS a MVP a few seasons ago, Malone and Payton were considered top players too before coming to LA, how did that work out. Though in that scenario, we didn’t gut our roster for them, so it was worth the risk.

He can average triple double, cool put him on your fantasy league, but he is not a winning player, he makes bone headed plays over and over in the playoff. Even last year in the playoff, he make a lot of boneheaded plays.

Like wtf did we offer a package for Beal and then wizard said naw but you can have westbrick for the same offer, and we just said yes??

And yes we need to trade kuzma and Harrell, but we need to get someone that fits in return, and not accept a player that wizards wanted to get rid of anyways.

KCP is a positive contribution to the team in term of defense and shooting, yes his shooting is streaky sometimes, but he fits on this team, which is a big question mark for Westbrick.

But you don’t make a team with just buddies, and players can be the worst GM, hence MJ.
Hence Kobe and Shaq.

It is how is it realistic to expect a 32 years old westbrick to suddenly stop being boneheaded in playoff when he been doing it his whole career?

If the Lakers add the 2 vet mins I think they will tomorrow at 6pm EST, that's ball game for the league:

Dwight
Melo

If the Lakers retain THT and Caruso at team friendly numbers, we are on track to exceed even our expectations.

Westbrook by himself doesn't fit - no question...but adding players we know work around LeBron and AD? That works. At that point, we can treat Westbrook EXACTLY how we should and EXACTLY how Golden State treated Durant:

That's all we need from him. We don't have to change our team to fit him. We just adjust our schemes to include what he does best. He is a scorer who can create shots for others with the downhill pressure he creates. He doesn't efficiently put teams on his back like LeBron.

I was opposed to Westbrook because of the poor fit. Now that we have him, my coaching instincts have kicked in and I'm processing how we make it work.

So sure, that's coping. But that's part of accepting REALITY and being successful no matter what life throws at you.

There is NO REALITY in which on paper Kuzma/KCP/Montrezl/pick is worth Westbrook's talent - period. We won that trade. It may not be a perfect fit but that's not a built in excuse for failure. We upgraded our roster so now it's time to make it work.

No reality?

Westbrook was just traded for John wall and a pick.
How is our package any worst than that?

For a Westbrook that is one year older too.

Westbrook at this point of his career is going downhill.
And pretty much not a fit in any system.
Kinda like Allen Iverson issues late in his career, unable to accept a role and yet not good anymore to carry a team. And slowing down enough that his weakness will be more glaring.

32 ain’t young for a guard who plays pretty recklessly.
And had injuries the past 2 seasons.
And even if he was in his prime and all healthy.
I still don’t see the fit.

His weakness are just too big of flaw for winning basketball in the playoff.

1. Shooting, 3 points and ft throws, big no no in playoff
2. Defense, he plays really bad team defense and has bad awareness on that part, and that gonna break our back in the playoff
3. His finishing at the rim is overrated, he accelerate too fast for his own good and can’t slow down fast enough for the finish, it has gotten better the last season.
But it really kinda just sum up his character, his lack of self awareness personality makes him a charging bulldog that just goes 100% at everything in front of him.

Basketball actually almost anything in life to be truly successful, you need rhythm and pace and ability to adjust. But that’s just not who Westbrook is.

Like why does his shooting still suck that bad at this point of his career, it is not like his elbow is handicapped like Ben Simmons. Jalen Rose and Jason Kidd evolved their shooting late in their career.

Westbrook shooting mechanic and especially the jumping part needs some tweaking (kinda like the transformation Blake Griffin gone through)

But no I am Westbrook, I must jump out of the building even on my jump shot. Cuz I am Westbrook. That’s what I do.
GameCock-MD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: I think a lot of people are just trying to COPE with the Westbrook situation

Nonamehero wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
By thinking positive.

Hence Kobe and Shaq.

Dwight
Melo

No reality?

Kinda like Allen Iverson issues late in his career, unable to accept a role and yet not good anymore to carry a team. And slowing down enough that his weakness will be more glaring.

2. Defense, he plays really bad team defense and has bad awareness on that part, and that gonna break our back in the playoff
3. His finishing at the rim is overrated, he accelerate too fast for his own good and can’t slow down fast enough for the finish, it has gotten better the last season.
But it really kinda just sum up his character, his lack of self awareness personality makes him a charging bulldog that just goes 100% at everything in front of him.

Basketball actually almost anything in life to be truly successful, you need rhythm and pace and ability to adjust. But that’s just not who Westbrook is.

Like why does his shooting still suck that bad at this point of his career, it is not like his elbow is handicapped like Ben Simmons. Jalen Rose and Jason Kidd evolved their shooting late in their career.

Westbrook shooting mechanic and especially the jumping part needs some tweaking (kinda like the transformation Blake Griffin gone through)

But no I am Westbrook, I must jump out of the building even on my jump shot. Cuz I am Westbrook. That’s what I do.

I understand you're not a fan of Westbrook as a player nor of his fit. That explains why your take is so wildly off.

Westbrook's fit with LeBron and AD is bad. I won't argue that.
Westbrook's talent is top 10 in the NBA even at 32. You can't argue with that.

Depending on how the rest of the roster develops, Westbrook's fit could be fine. As long as we don't try to change our identity to force Westbrook's fit, we will be fine. Westbrook is like KD as far as I'm concerned. We can fit him into what we do instead of changing who we are.

What is your specific beef with Westbrook? Don't forget that LeBron and AD aren't perfect either. Any criticism of them likely applies to one or both of them also.
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject:

Players that have the ability to average a triple double don't grow on tress. Lebron needed a legit PG to take playmaking duties off of him. I wouldn't say it's a bad fit, maybe just not an optimal one, but the offense is easy enough to draw up. You're going to (hopefully) running a lot of pick & pop with LB/WB & AD which will clear up the lane for any drives. Now there are at least 2/3 players (depending on who is driving) we have that can beat people off the dribble. Now yes we do need do 3 point shooters to enhance the offense, but good things are possible with just a base of AD, LBJ, and WB.
8Five8Seven
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject:

when Lebron won his titles, it was with ball dominant guards (Wade, Irving, Rondo). Whether Westbrook delivers as a new member of the team remains to be seen. My immediate reaction was, the Lakers now have three guys that can give you 20+ points a game when healthy. I know that's a hypothetical statement since we have yet to see this new squad play together. But at least having him as a third option creates more worries for the opposing team and puts less pressure on AD and Lebron to carry the team for an entire season plus playoffs.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:30 pm    Post subject:

8Five8Seven wrote:
when Lebron won his titles, it was with ball dominant guards (Wade, Irving, Rondo). Whether Westbrook delivers as a new member of the team remains to be seen. My immediate reaction was, the Lakers now have three guys that can give you 20+ points a game when healthy. I know that's a hypothetical statement since we have yet to see this new squad play together. But at least having him as a third option creates more worries for the opposing team and puts less pressure on AD and Lebron to carry the team for an entire season plus playoffs.

this is complete distortion of the facts...
Wade+Lebron worked because they were both so freaking good (still in their primes) and their team was just so loaded with talent compared to the rest of the league. If we had absolute prime Westbrook and prime Lebron sure we can make this work but neither are near their prime.
Lebron and Kyrie worked because their games matched each other well. Kyrie is actually a very good 3pt shooter so he provides spacing when the ball is not in his hands.
Rondo and Lebron didnt work well at all... that was one of the worst on court combos for Lebron.
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: I think a lot of people are just trying to COPE with the Westbrook situation

GameCock-MD wrote:

Depending on how the rest of the roster develops, Westbrook's fit could be fine. As long as we don't try to change our identity to force Westbrook's fit, we will be fine. Westbrook is like KD as far as I'm concerned. We can fit him into what we do instead of changing who we are.

What is your specific beef with Westbrook? Don't forget that LeBron and AD aren't perfect either. Any criticism of them likely applies to one or both of them also.

I can think of at least 20 players better than Westbrook.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:13 pm    Post subject:

Still coping?
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
8Five8Seven wrote:

Wade+Lebron worked because they were both so freaking good (still in their primes) and their team was just so loaded with talent compared to the rest of the league. If we had absolute prime Westbrook and prime Lebron sure we can make this work but neither are near their prime.
Lebron and Kyrie worked because their games matched each other well. Kyrie is actually a very good 3pt shooter so he provides spacing when the ball is not in his hands.
Rondo and Lebron didnt work well at all... that was one of the worst on court combos for Lebron.

Miami was also bolstered with guys like Battier (great defender) and one of the all-time best, clutch 3-pt shooters in Ray Allen.

One title is better than none, but this Lakers era might end up more like KG C's era. Slanted toward the older side. The key guy in all this is still AD, on both ends. Needs to stay healthy and dominate like a guy in his prime.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject:

This post didn't age well

Poor Lakers Fans have to try and cope with
Westbrook
Carmelo
Dwight
Monk
Nunn
Ellington
Ariza
Bazemore
THT

Who else?

The whole NBA mourns our suffering
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
8Five8Seven wrote:

Lebron and Wade Miami team would not be able to win the championship in this era, it was in a different era where spacing inside the paint was still pretty packed for every team, and people didn’t realize jacking up 3s can solve that issue.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject:

This is one of my favorite threads to read...
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject:

I rather have "Westbrick" than sticking with boneheads like Kuz and Harrell. At least Russ goes all out on both ends.
chains
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
as a die hard Laker fan this is beyond sad. Unless Westbrook can miraculously transform into a different player (he couldnt 2 years younger with Harden), we basically cemented shut our championship window with Lebron. And whats all the more painful is that this was a completely self inflicted move made with other moves possible that would have clearly made this a better team from last season.

Harden. lol. He will be playing with champions. Harden shrivels up in the playoffs. Then he played with Paulina George. Another loser, another regular season player (except for this last playoffs - finally).

All old fart analysts are saying it will not work. This means it will work great. Westbrook knows that this has to work and he is playing with arguably the best player ever. This will work. Mark my words.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject:

AD23 wrote:
Still coping?

Yes, been coping ever since I heard about the trade.
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
I rather have "Westbrick" than sticking with boneheads like Kuz and Harrell. At least Russ goes all out on both ends.

And you rather have westbrick instead of Buddy Hield??
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject:

I like our other signings.
We have a chance.

But not because of Westbrook, more likely despite of Westbrook.

If Westbrook can play a small role in our offense.
And only be a facilitator when Lebron is on the bench resting.
And also be a TEAM defensive player, then he won’t hurt our team.

But seriously we could had Buddy Hield who fits perfectly here.

There is almost nothing that Westbrook brings to our team that Buddy Hield cannot do better.

It just so dumb to let players be in complete control of GM
Even though MJ hated Krause. He did build a great team around him.
If you let MJ build a team it will end up like Charlotte bobcat.

You can listen to Lebron opinion, but you can’t let him make boneheaded decisions.

If we win, we needs to be super lucky like Milkwakee this year where everyone is injuried.

I am gonna be cheering for the team. But I just see way too many flaws in westbrick game.

Not sure how anyone can justify it
Dominator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:58 pm    Post subject:

Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I think a lot of people are just trying to COPE with the Westbrook situation

Nonamehero wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:
Nonamehero wrote:
By thinking positive.

Hence Kobe and Shaq.

Dwight
Melo

No reality?

Just finished watching videos of Westbrook carrying his wizards team over the Brooklyn Nets 2-1 for the season. And yes he put played Kyrie. Sucks to be us lol
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: I think a lot of people are just trying to COPE with the Westbrook situation

3baller wrote:
GameCock-MD wrote:

I can think of at least 20 players better than Westbrook.

I want that list of players.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Nonamehero wrote:
I like our other signings.
We have a chance.

But not because of Westbrook, more likely despite of Westbrook.

If Westbrook can play a small role in our offense.
And only be a facilitator when Lebron is on the bench resting.
And also be a TEAM defensive player, then he won’t hurt our team.

But seriously we could had Buddy Hield who fits perfectly here.

There is almost nothing that Westbrook brings to our team that Buddy Hield cannot do better.

It just so dumb to let players be in complete control of GM
Even though MJ hated Krause. He did build a great team around him.
If you let MJ build a team it will end up like Charlotte bobcat.

You can listen to Lebron opinion, but you can’t let him make boneheaded decisions.

If we win, we needs to be super lucky like Milkwakee this year where everyone is injuried.

I am gonna be cheering for the team. But I just see way too many flaws in westbrick game.

Not sure how anyone can justify it

Lol for one Buddy only fills one need and if he’s not shooting well he doesn’t do anything else. He’s not a better defender he’s not a better facilitator he’s not even a better scorer. We have two or 3 guys who can do what Buddy does and all of them combine is cheaper than Buddy. Westbrook was the right choice.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9
Jump to: