Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 297, 298, 299  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

Day wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Day wrote:
What's Mike D'Antoni up to

"Consulting" for the Pelicans.

Maybe I'm tripping but I think he would be an ideal coach with a solid defensive assistant and get Rondo on the staff to groom

I don't think any assistant could make an MDA team have good enough defense to win a chip.
It's a philosophy thing. Top down. How are you spending your limited practice time? How are you balancing the floor when you are on offense? How are you controlling the pace of the game? Which players skillsets do you prioritize in your rotation? How do you counter unfavorable player matchups? What do you hold your players accountable for on the court? All these things matter. And lean away from defense on an MDA team.

As much as I've always liked and defended Rondo. I can't vouch for him as a coach. No doubt he has top tier B-ball IQ. But it takes more than that to be a coach. There's a reason why all star level players rarely make for good coaches.
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 3:52 pm    Post subject:

When the first play breaks down how often do we see our guards run into a bad desperation shot? It just smacks of a lack of underlying plan beyond the called play. It's the "accidental basketball" Kobe complained about. These guys are good players, but it often doesn't take much to push them to a situation where they don't have an answer. Ham has to provide the tools to find those answers, iso just doesn't cut it
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:31 pm    Post subject:

With how much Ham has been using Bron and AD, it almost seems like he just wants to make the playoffs and let whatever happens happens. Let's see how durable and resilient Bron and AD will be.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:14 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Day wrote:
Denny_Russo wrote:
Day wrote:
What's Mike D'Antoni up to

"Consulting" for the Pelicans.

Maybe I'm tripping but I think he would be an ideal coach with a solid defensive assistant and get Rondo on the staff to groom

I don't think any assistant could make an MDA team have good enough defense to win a chip.
It's a philosophy thing. Top down. How are you spending your limited practice time? How are you balancing the floor when you are on offense? How are you controlling the pace of the game? Which players skillsets do you prioritize in your rotation? How do you counter unfavorable player matchups? What do you hold your players accountable for on the court? All these things matter. And lean away from defense on an MDA team.

As much as I've always liked and defended Rondo. I can't vouch for him as a coach. No doubt he has top tier B-ball IQ. But it takes more than that to be a coach. There's a reason why all star level players rarely make for good coaches.

I'm fairly certain had D'Antoni not been arrogant and said no to Thibs as his defensive assistant there'd be a whole different conversation going on and Doc Rivers may never have won a championship as a coach.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 pm    Post subject:

I was wondering the same thing when he left AD in there…

https://x.com/brongotgame/status/1772099122931159474?s=46&t=2eY4h7X3tENv3uRTgQTQBA
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject:

Watching his defensive schemes is aging me. Even Stu was like wtf are we doing out here as we gave up 3 or 4 open 3's in a row as they were trying to come back late
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:41 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
Watching his defensive schemes is aging me. Even Stu was like wtf are we doing out here as we gave up 3 or 4 open 3's in a row as they were trying to come back late

I don't get Ham's critics - they criticize him for all sorts of vague stuff when there are such obvious blatant fumbles like this one to scream about.
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:51 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:

If the Lakers defenders rushed out on those deep 3’s Stu would have been criticizing them for potentially fouling a 3 point shooter.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject:

Actually, the Lakers are thin in big, with an aging LBJ and 2 no D starting guards and lots of injuries this season. So I’m ok with what coach Ham has done so far.
lakeshowtacular
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:26 am    Post subject:

Wide open 3s are a tough defensive strategy to overcome. Best way is to make half of your 3s, but that's not a recipe for consistent success.

At least he's calling timeouts, and not waiting for tv timeouts to end the opponents 14 point runs!!!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:54 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
Actually, the Lakers are thin in big, with an aging LBJ and 2 no D starting guards and lots of injuries this season. So I’m ok with what coach Ham has done so far.

With all those roster flaws by Rob, starting LeBron/Cam/Vando/Prince/AD cost us enough games to put us in the play in.. Ham doesn't deserve to remain as HC.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Sina wrote:

With all those roster flaws by Rob, starting LeBron/Cam/Vando/Prince/AD cost us enough games to put us in the play in.. Ham doesn't deserve to remain as HC.

Agree! No more green eggs and Ham! Just starting the players that were successful last year…instead of vet min or BAE guys…would have the Lakers fighting for the 4th seed based on the win rate they have since bringing Rui in as a starter. Ham couldn’t even do that. It’s not ok to me that he finally started doing what everyone else seemed to know all along.

Sure, don’t fire him now, even tho it’s far fetched anything could happen so might as well wait until the off season to see what happens this post season.

However, Unless there is phenomenally surprising success, he should not be the coach once the Lakers season is done.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I'm not as hard on Ham as some.

But the major reason why we are in this predicament right now is because he punted the first 1/4 of the season. Benching guys (we paid to bring back) for no apparent reason.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:07 am    Post subject:

There's a good chance this team messes around and makes the 7th or 8th seed. Provided they at least make it to the second round, I don't see Jeanie upgrading this coaching staff when they can blame everything on the Vando and Gabe injuries. We're living ocho's worst nightmare.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:59 pm    Post subject:

What the hell was that starting line-up about?

No chance defensively with AR at SF...
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:07 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
There's a good chance this team messes around and makes the 7th or 8th seed. Provided they at least make it to the second round, I don't see Jeanie upgrading this coaching staff when they can blame everything on the Vando and Gabe injuries. We're living ocho's worst nightmare.

Pho and Sac have the 1st and 3rd toughest SoS whereas the Lakers have the 24th. It’s certainly a viable possibility for the Lakers to get to 7th in the standings at the end of the season. They would likely have to beat Sac to actually get the 7th seed tho and I don’t see that happening. 8th seed? Or perhaps Dallas stumbles to 7th while Sac holds on to 6th so Lakers can beat Dal for 7th?

Guess we’ll find out in a couple weeks.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
levon wrote:

Pho and Sac have the 1st and 3rd toughest SoS whereas the Lakers have the 24th. It’s certainly a viable possibility for the Lakers to get to 7th in the standings at the end of the season. They would likely have to beat Sac to actually get the 7th seed tho and I don’t see that happening.

Lakers also have a horrible record on the road... I be happy to go .500 on this road trip.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Darvin Ham comes into the postgame press conference and smiles: “How ‘bout them Lakers?”
Jamesikan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:15 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Lakersfan1211"][quote]Darvin Ham comes into the postgame press conference and smiles: “How ‘bout them Lakers?”[/quote][/quote]

I can't lie, the image this is giving me is so wholesome. :)
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:48 pm    Post subject:

Jamesikan wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:
Darvin Ham comes into the postgame press conference and smiles: “How ‘bout them Lakers?”

I can't lie, the image this is giving me is so wholesome.

At least now we know Ham can out coach Doc...
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:52 pm    Post subject:

Dlo in his postgame interview actually credited Darvin Ham..mentioning he drew some nice plays
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Us punting the first 1/4th of the season is why we're at the position we're in. But Ham deserves his props when he gets them. If we had the record we currently have now at this same point last season. we'd have been the 3rd/4th seed in the West. It just so happens this year the West has 4-5 teams that are going to be likely over 50 win teams.

lar9149 wrote:
Dlo in his postgame interview actually credited Darvin Ham..mentioning he drew some nice plays

He is correct.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject:

Ha.. I was legitimately happy we had that last time out available at 2.4 seconds of the 2nd OT,,, l
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Ham would prob fine with a young and developing team, he could take his lumps and grow. We don't have time for that ish is the problem.

If we were gonna go this route, should have surrounded him with super strong and experienced assistants.

Either way if we keep closing strong down the stretch have to tip the cap.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject:

Ham is such a Jekyll and Hyde coach, man. Has lifted for two straight years late in the season after being very shaky for most of it

Gotta give some credit to him for this run, though I’m gonna hold my full praise until we get above the 9th seed
#18 next...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 275, 276, 277 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 276 of 299
Jump to: