Head Coach Mr. DARVIN HAM Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 276, 277, 278 ... 297, 298, 299  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:34 am    Post subject:

Ham is a likable guy and I think a person players would like to play for. He's growing on the job and it'll take some time.. ask Mike Brown. I just wish he'd have hired a staff like he was a first time HC and not like a god father looking to build his own young coaching tree.

But his rotations cost us a 3-6 spot in the playoffs and that's a big deal..potentially massive.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:55 am    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Ham is a likable guy and I think a person players would like to play for. He's growing on the job and it'll take some time.. ask Mike Brown. I just wish he'd have hired a staff like he was a first time HC and not like a god father looking to build his own young coaching tree.

But his rotations cost us a 3-6 spot in the playoffs and that's a big deal..potentially massive.

people who micro managed Vogel to death allowed 1st time coach to have his own staff with no ex head coach on the staff
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:37 pm    Post subject:

Expected to see more people give Darvin his flowers. Swept the season series against Milwaukee with Lebron in street clothes.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject:

Kobe would hate this guy so much. He's got zero game management skills. Kobe used to talk so much about the importance of momentum.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject:

The +/- of Prince at the 4 has to be like -10000
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:08 pm    Post subject:

Also I think Ham deserves more credit for building a good offense schematically and stuff. His rotations drive me crazy but without AD and Wood/Vando out, you basically have three real frontcourt players left, and one of them is Hayes
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:21 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Also I think Ham deserves more credit for building a good offense schematically and stuff. His rotations drive me crazy but without AD and Wood/Vando out, you basically have three real frontcourt players left, and one of them is Hayes

It's an inherently offensively talented team. Hate to be armchair quarterback but if you play with as this team in 2K, it's unlimited scoring. If anything he deserves blame for the offense being so bad for half the season.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject:

Good win tonight, better win the next one too. We get an extra day of rest, too. Good news for the weary legs of the Lakers backcourt!
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:33 pm    Post subject:

this dude benched Rui, DLO, Austin to start the season so he can start Prince/Cam Reddish
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:42 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
tox wrote:

It's an inherently offensively talented team. Hate to be armchair quarterback but if you play with as this team in 2K, it's unlimited scoring. If anything he deserves blame for the offense being so bad for half the season.

Nah that's silly and reductive. The Lakers actually run lots of sets, I've been following scheme people so I'm able to slowly see a little more of it. The Lakers have a good offensive bag, there's no need to be in denial about it. It's a good thing, lol.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
this dude benched Rui, DLO, Austin to start the season so he can start Prince/Cam Reddish

That core group got us into Western Conference Finals last year, management brought everyone back and Ham decided to mess around with the line up and basically wasted half a season experimenting.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
levon wrote:
tox wrote:

Nah that's silly and reductive. The Lakers actually run lots of sets, I've been following scheme people so I'm able to slowly see a little more of it. The Lakers have a good offensive bag, there's no need to be in denial about it. It's a good thing, lol.

It’s silly and reductive to point out that he put a parking break on the team for more than half the year? The team has learned the system and executes better, but it’s flatly moronic to ignore that the team is better largely because he’s finally playing the right guys. This team could score in bunches in any system—just not when Cam Reddish and Prince eat up minutes while DLO is benched.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:44 pm    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
tox wrote:
levon wrote:
tox wrote:

It’s silly and reductive to point out that he put a parking break on the team for more than half the year? The team has learned the system and executes better, but it’s flatly moronic to ignore that the team is better largely because he’s finally playing the right guys. This team could score in bunches in any system—just not when Cam Reddish and Prince eat up minutes while DLO is benched.

You can blame his lineups for being (bleep), that doesn't change the fact that his schemes are actively good. I mean this is ridiculous, how many coaches do we see with great offensive talent who are underperforming? the Lakers are one of the top 3 or 4 offenses since 2024. He was installing a new offense and players (especially the guards) were struggling. His rotations didn't help.

I don't get why people find it so hard to just give Ham some credit. You can still want him fired, hell maybe even give all the credit to Chris Jent and say that we can get the good playbook without the bad rotations.

But the "when the Lakers win it's because of the roster, when the Lakers lose it's because of Ham" schtick is getting old. And this is not a defense of Ham's rotations -- you can definitely hold him accountable for the Lakers being the 9th side even while acknowledging that the playbook is good at this point in time
Nonamehero
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:47 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
tox wrote:
levon wrote:
tox wrote:

You can blame his lineups for being (bleep), that doesn't change the fact that his schemes are actively good. I mean this is ridiculous, how many coaches do we see with great offensive talent who are underperforming? the Lakers are one of the top 3 or 4 offenses since 2024. He was installing a new offense and players (especially the guards) were struggling. His rotations didn't help.

I don't get why people find it so hard to just give Ham some credit. You can still want him fired, hell maybe even give all the credit to Chris Jent and say that we can get the good playbook without the bad rotations.

But the "when the Lakers win it's because of the roster, when the Lakers lose it's because of Ham" schtick is getting old. And this is not a defense of Ham's rotations -- you can definitely hold him accountable for the Lakers being the 9th side even while acknowledging that the playbook is good at this point in time

Our offensive scheme is getting better.
You don’t score that many points without good offensive scheme.

But I seriously doubt it is coming from Ham.

The dude doesn’t look like he has an ounce of intellligence.

It just seems like he is finally starting to listen to some common sense.

But don’t be too happy, at any moment, he could revert to his stupid crap, cuz he doesn’t even know what’s good or bad.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject:

^
Literally from DLO who has been an outspoken critic of Ham at times...

Quote:
“That was huge. Huge win for the team,” Russell said. “Everybody pitched in. Darvin was amazing, man. He drew up some great sets for us at the end of the game and gave us some good looks. I think emotionally, we were all put in on that one. Everybody was two feet in on that game, wanted to do everything it took.”

This was from the Bucks game.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:02 pm    Post subject:

I'll give Ham some props for finally recognizing Cam should be on a short ass leash. Too bad he torpedoed us already by pretending Cam was an NBA starter in December and destroying us. Sure would be nice to have a handful of extra wins right now when everything is tight as hell and we are still staring down the barrel of needing to win two straight play in games to squeak into the 8th seed despite us winning at a good clip. Cam did us the favor of getting hurt and forcing Ham's hand, otherwise I'm pretty sure we'd be below Houston right now while Cam was still getting 30 minutes a game. (bleep) Ham.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:48 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
I'll give Ham some props for finally recognizing Cam should be on a short ass leash. Too bad he torpedoed us already by pretending Cam was an NBA starter in December and destroying us. Sure would be nice to have a handful of extra wins right now when everything is tight as hell and we are still staring down the barrel of needing to win two straight play in games to squeak into the 8th seed despite us winning at a good clip. Cam did us the favor of getting hurt and forcing Ham's hand, otherwise I'm pretty sure we'd be below Houston right now while Cam was still getting 30 minutes a game. (bleep) Ham.

Couldn't agree more. Cam's injury saved our season.
What makes it even more perplexing is that Cam is a vet min guy. We paid to bring back our core. And Ham gave away games playing a vet min guy shooting less than 40% from the field. Cam probably shouldn't be in the league. Let alone starting.

Player rotations is the most fundamental and important responsibility of an NBA coach. And Ham purposely went against the grain. Which makes me worried that he was either stupid or stubborn. Neither option is ideal.

It's tough to get past that. Even though Tox is right. Ham has been a + in other areas. It hasn't been all bad. I do think a healthy Vando this year. And we aren't a play-in team.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:22 pm    Post subject:

+1 to Cam being injured saving our season. I give Ham a tiny bit of slack because Cam was legitimately good until the IST -- he was actually really good on defense and just "quite bad" on offense as opposed to "really bad" lol.

But a better coach would have cut the cord sooner. I'm not sure if it's injuries or what but he doesn't have that juice anymore on defense. He's already a terrible offensive player, and a 2 game stretch of going 5-11 from 3 isn't gonna change that. On top of that he's a horrendous rebounder on a roster that struggles with it, in competition for minutes with a positionally elite rebounder (who shoots ~45% on spot up 3s to boot!)

If Vando isn't back, I think Cam unfortunately has a role to play when we match up against big wings. Especially a team that has multiple of them and LeBron can't guard both.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject:

with Gabe vincent coming we might see a 4 guard rotation
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
with Gabe vincent coming we might see a 4 guard rotation

The return of PF AR
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:35 am    Post subject:

Yeah the Cam injury is likely what forced Ham to go back to what we knew worked last year.

I remember when we went into the Pelicans game, and Ham said that the starting lineup of Prince/Vando/Rui/LeBron/AD was going to be the starting lineup for 'the forseeable future'.. I remember feeling like if the man wasn't fired, our season was done. And it would have been.

But then Rui got injured and had to miss time, he then wanted to run a starting lineup of Reaves, Prince, Reddish, Bron, AD ... which was followed by us getting destroyed by Memphis and Miami by double digits.. and barely beating the Clippers by 3 and Toronto by 1. Then LeBron sat out, and then and Ham was forced to go back to starting DLo and he put up 39 vs the Jazz and Ham couldn't then put him back on the bench. That saved our season. Then we were starting to click with Vando as he finally found his groove again but he got hurt vs Boston.

Now after Vando got hurt vs Boston. Ham had a decision to make. He could go back to Prince... or he could start Rui. He decided to finally start Rui, and imho that was the best decision he made all season, in lieu of Vando's injury.

It was obvious to all of us, but he made the decision and has stuck with it.

If all those things hadn't happened, the Lakers would be firmly either in the 10th or 11th seed right now.

Ham was forced into a lot of the 'good' decisions he wound up making with the starters, but the one he made to start Rui over Prince, he does deserve credit for, and not going backwards on it after the Knicks game when Rui initially struggled in the role.

To critique Ham for basically punting the first 37-40 games of the season unnecessarily experimenting with stuff we all knew wouldn't work? It's well deserved.

We lost 21 of the first 40 games of the season because of all that and stood with a record of 19-21. Since then we've gone 22-11. If Ham doesn't punt the first 40 games and we go even 25-15 across them our record stands at 47-26 currently and we'd be the 4th seed in the West.

So all that criticism has merit. But I'll also give him credit as well for deciding to start Rui as opposed to sticking with Prince as that's one of the few lineup decisions he wasn't forced to make, as Prince wasn't out hurt when Ham made that decision.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:11 am    Post subject:

We’ve tried to go big, tried to go small, tried to play defense and tried to play offense. Finally we’re back to what we’re last year, and most of the players are getting better.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject:

Sina wrote:
We’ve tried to go big, tried to go small, tried to play defense and tried to play offense. Finally we’re back to what we’re last year, and most of the players are getting better.

Who could've imagined
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:00 pm    Post subject:

We are staring down the barrel of having to win two straight play in games because of this man. Right now it’s the Dubs, and then either Phoenix or Sac. Steph and Klay are always a threat to go nuclear, so that isn’t a safe game though we’d be heavily favored. Phoenix is of course terrifying with KD and Booker and Beal. And we’ve shown no ability to beat Sac at all since Fox and Monk absolutely eviscerate us while Sabonis outplays AD. This man has cost us. He needs to go, even with our recent run, because he screwed us over that badly playing around with lineups while ignoring what worked before for over half the season.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject:

Bruv, get rid of the hockey rotations. Stagger your lineups. Also, use Max sometimes, especially on nights like tonight where your regulars are struggling mightily to summon energy.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 276, 277, 278 ... 297, 298, 299  Next
Page 277 of 299
Jump to: