DARVIN HAM has been dismissed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 297, 298, 299 ... 321, 322, 323  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:32 am    Post subject:

I think people in this thread have it all wrong, just swapping Ham for another roach (even a known name) is not going to make a meaningful difference.
What is needed is more, way more, and thus is unlikely to happen: a total change in culture. I'll say more about that below, but this means cleaning house top to bottom, period, new FO, new coaching staff, new top-level advisers, and many of the current big-name players gone.

Now to culture; learn from Miami - that organization is by no means perfect (e.g. they don't draft particularly well) BUT they have an identifiable culture, any NBA fan can recount their attributes: they get the max out of non-stars, play hard, play together, emphasize team over individuals, never give up, they value excellence in coaching. They go farther with lesser talent than anyone else and they proudly do it the "Miami way" no matter whether they have a bad year or don't make the playoffs. (Check into what Haslem does for them).

The Lakers don't need Miami's culture, they need their own personality that they stick with through thick and thin. If one asks a random NBA fan, describe the Lakers organization recently, besides being confused and at a loss for words (or mocking) what attributes would they come up with? Would the word "excellence" come up much for any aspect of the organization?

I'm pissed, and I needed to vent. Thanks for listening.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:
I think people in this thread have it all wrong, just swapping Ham for another roach (even a known name) is not going to make a meaningful difference.
What is needed is more, way more, and thus is unlikely to happen: a total change in culture. I'll say more about that below, but this means cleaning house top to bottom, period, new FO, new coaching staff, new top-level advisers, and many of the current big-name players gone.

Now to culture; learn from Miami - that organization is by no means perfect (e.g. they don't draft particularly well) BUT they have an identifiable culture, any NBA fan can recount their attributes: they get the max out of non-stars, play hard, play together, emphasize team over individuals, never give up, they value excellence in coaching. They go farther with lesser talent than anyone else and they proudly do it the "Miami way" no matter whether they have a bad year or don't make the playoffs. (Check into what Haslem does for them).

The Lakers don't need Miami's culture, they need their own personality that they stick with through thick and thin. If one asks a random NBA fan, describe the Lakers organization recently, besides being confused and at a loss for words (or mocking) what attributes would they come up with? Would the word "excellence" come up much for any aspect of the organization?

Winningest franchise is what I think of and some of the greatest players ever.
lakers4life78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:37 am    Post subject:

Fire him, won't matter one bit as long as our bozo GM picks the next guy.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

Sure, those are things that the organization HAD, what describes current culture are the qualities the organization possesses NOW.
To illustrate the difference if you ask people about Miami, no one would bring up their first 10 years where they were not only perennial losers but also badly managed - they did not have the current personality and qualities. The 90s were their history but does not define them right now.
RusselDoeee01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:04 am    Post subject:

Ham was hand picked by Lebron. Look at all of our coaches in the lebron Era..

They are coaches that will bow down and listen to Lebron..

given said that..

Ham is by far the worst coach in the NBA and if even Handy was our coach we would have been a top 3 seed.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am    Post subject:

coldzim wrote:
quartzcharm wrote:
Fire Darvin Ham and sign Mike Budenholzer.

Bud is Ham 2.0, I don't think is a great upgrade at all...

The difference is that Bud is a championship coach and knows how to handle star players.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:14 am    Post subject:

ThePageDude wrote:

Respectfully, this is where I stopped.

levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:17 am    Post subject:

lakers4life78 wrote:
Fire him, won't matter one bit as long as our bozo GM picks the next guy.

Yup.

Although the rest of the league was parroting that Darvin was the next great coach and the Lakers finally made a good move. Now all of those folks are really quiet. Shows how little anybody knows and how much coaches are treated with kiddie gloves.
iimarshon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject:

Who we want next?

No amazing options.

Maybe Terry Stott's + Dave Joerger as head Asst?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:21 am    Post subject:

He should be fired Saturday night
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

ThePageDude wrote:
defense wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

Sure, those are things that the organization HAD, what describes current culture are the qualities the organization possesses NOW.
To illustrate the difference if you ask people about Miami, no one would bring up their first 10 years where they were not only perennial losers but also badly managed - they did not have the current personality and qualities. The 90s were their history but does not define them right now.

Miami is mad over hyped at this moment lol. They are not any better than the Lakers as a franchise... not in the past and not now. All this culture stuff is great and I encourage a strong culture, but ultimately the best players win championships. It's extremely rare when the best players are not winning, culture or not.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

defense wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

Technically the Spurs and the Celtics both surpassed us for highest overall winning percentage, and the Celtics have surpassed us for most games won. Both of these things occurred during the Jeannie era despite having a significant lead in both when she started.

So technically the Celtics are the winningest franchise.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:23 am    Post subject:

The out of the box hire is Becky Hammon

Pop tree

Doesn't look like she'll take any ish from anyone

Smart

HOFer
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject:

SoCal88 wrote:

Pop tree

Smart

HOFer

Lets to a Becky Hammond, Sue Bird combo
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:11 am    Post subject:

SoCal88 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

Better coaching would help us for sure. But no coach can take what we have and make us a championship team. In the end, talent wins out…and we don’t have enough compared to the tier 1 teams
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:20 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:

Pop tree

Smart

HOFer

lets' do Dawn Staley.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:50 am    Post subject:

you get what you paid for.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2024/03/13/highest-paid-nba-coaches/72897044007/
Pockets earns 4 mil by estimate, (lakers were probably too ashamed to give out the detail numbers).
4 million probably ranks in the bottom five in term of NBA coaches. there are 16 college basketball coaches earns more than that.
1. Steve Kerr, two-year, $35 million extension through 2025-26 season

2. Gregg Popovich, five-year, $80 million contract

3. Erik Spoelstra, eight-year, $120 million extension

4. Monty Williams, six-year, $78.5 million contract

these are the top coaches earnings in the NBA, yes, even the piston shell out for a coach.

if anyone still has to delusion of "we are the Lakers, we will get the best coaches available", they need a reality check. we are not the dodgers, our owner is not a billionaire, hiring the best GM and HC money can buy is not an option.
SoCal88
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:52 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2024/03/13/highest-paid-nba-coaches/72897044007/
Pockets earns 4 mil by estimate, (lakers were probably too ashamed to give out the detail numbers).
4 million probably ranks in the bottom five in term of NBA coaches. there are 16 college basketball coaches earns more than that.

these are the top coaches earnings in the NBA, yes, even the piston shell out for a coach.

if anyone still has to delusion of "we are the Lakers, we will get the best coaches available", they need a reality check. we are not the dodgers, our owner is not a billionaire, hiring the best GM and HC money can buy is not an option.

To that end, the Buss Trust should allow grownups with money run this organization.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject:

SoCal88 wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:

To that end, the Buss Trust should allow grownups with money run this organization.

unless they sell, they just won't pay top dollar for coaches. when people keep saying "why didn't we hire this, why didn't we hire that", think about the salary first, not others. Monty Williams had no issues taking the pistons job knowing it will be a disaster.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:
ThePageDude wrote:

Better coaching would help us for sure. But no coach can take what we have and make us a championship team. In the end, talent wins out…and we don’t have enough compared to the tier 1 teams

Hopefully it is a misinterpretation that those with a similar view are saying that we should keep the coach…who is inadequate…because the talent is not good enough. Yes, the Lakers need at least 1 new starter in the backcourt, and at least one new backup in the frontcourt to improve talent deficiencies. But lack of talent is one part of the bigger problem and that issue is talent and coaching. Fixing either problem without fixing both would still leave the team short of a ship goal.

Fire Ham, try to get Caruso/Murray in the backcourt, sign Drummond for vet min. Someone else mentioned Goga/Dunn who could add to possibilities. Do anything else but do both, upgrade coach, and upgrade talent.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject:

I really dont understand how someone can be surprised that Lakers will be swept. We have by far the worst coach in entire league. If this team has at least average coach this series would be at least going to 6 or 7 games. This moron is just clueless and does not know the basics of basketball. How he was hired in first place is the biggest questions. Ah yeah I know he is good guy
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
defense wrote:
SoCal88 wrote:

Pop tree

Smart

HOFer

lets' do Dawn Staley.

Add her to the team. Triple threat.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:44 am    Post subject:

The one thing you must have as a leader is followers. The players clearly don't trust Darvin as their coach. It really doesn't matter why at this point. The team essentially has to decide which of the two to change. That could also be part of the impetus for looking at a third star. You move enough of the roster in such a deal that the turnover resets the team culture to a degree. It won't work, but it is a version of using change to keep things the same.

Given the past behavior of Jeanie, Rob and LeBron, I fully expect that to be the preferred path, foolish as it is.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:53 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:

We turn this to a billboard and place it all over LA.

This here is the issue in coaches. We are constantly looking for the best price we can find and/or haggling over terms. It's like owning a $100M home and furnishing it with Ikea and wondering why it looks and feels cheap.

We rushed to fire Vogel and missed on Nurse. The way we fired Vogel turned off Snyder who CHOSE Atlanta over LA.

The whole thing is a mess and until Jeanie is willing to pony up for a coach and FO we're going to spiral. That said, a better coach would have likely had us to the 4/5 seed and perhaps the 2nd round. My hope is we can start small and get a better coach bc I just don't see both being gone this time next week.
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:07 pm    Post subject:

RusselDoeee01 wrote:
Ham was hand picked by Lebron. Look at all of our coaches in the lebron Era..

They are coaches that will bow down and listen to Lebron..

given said that..

Ham is by far the worst coach in the NBA and if even Handy was our coach we would have been a top 3 seed.

whatttt
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 297, 298, 299 ... 321, 322, 323  Next
Page 298 of 323
Jump to: