LONNIE WALKER IV signs with Nets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:20 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Start with Lonnie, end with Lonnie. What a weird idea. It worked! Lonnie hasn’t played this under control in a long time.

He and Rui were very clunky the first half. They ran into one another’s spots and didn’t communicate, but they got it together in the second half. The best part of garbage time was them getting reps together
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:22 pm    Post subject:

AR had tired legs chasing Klay, so Ham did something dumb and had Rui on Klay, disaster, then he finally stuck Lonnie on him and Lonnie’s athleticism really got Klay off-balance.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject:

Apparently Lonnie's skill set is just what the doctor ordered vs GSW.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:25 pm    Post subject:

socalsp3
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject:

Lonnie always delivers when his number is called. Ham should keep playing him
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:32 pm    Post subject:

Lonnie's biggest issue has always getting lost on D. You'd think he wouldn't do well against the most dynamic and complex offense but maybe you simplify things and just ask him to chase Klay/Poole around. He's got that wiry athleticism that might help navigate screens.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:36 pm    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

I would say it was his best attribute as a player that served him well this game, and for this Warriors team in particular: elite athleticism. Despite being a near freak athlete, he never quite put it together consistently on offense, and he was a total space on defense.

But against the Warriors, it seems to not be the case where his athleticism in chasing those shooters, served him very well and may prove to be a total game changer this series.

I’m curious to see how the Warriors will adjust to this next game. It’s one thing to happen tonight where no one saw this coming. But now the element of surprise won’t be there next game.
- sign and trade DLO to not lose value
- sign a coach that’s not an idiot

Call it an offseason
geester
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Lonnie's biggest issue has always getting lost on D. You'd think he wouldn't do well against the most dynamic and complex offense but maybe you simplify things and just ask him to chase Klay/Poole around. He's got that wiry athleticism that might help navigate screens.

Agreed on this....Have LW4 stick to Klay..no thinking needed. Same with Steph...only assignment needed whether Vando or Schroder. Keep chasing and make them work on every shot. Screw the help assignments.

If Poole or Wiggins beat you...so be it.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject:

Are we sure that wasn't an imposter out there.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
pio2u wrote:

I would say it was his best attribute as a player that served him well this game, and for this Warriors team in particular: elite athleticism. Despite being a near freak athlete, he never quite put it together consistently on offense, and he was a total space on defense.

But against the Warriors, it seems to not be the case where his athleticism in chasing those shooters, served him very well and may prove to be a total game changer this series.

I’m curious to see how the Warriors will adjust to this next game. It’s one thing to happen tonight where no one saw this coming. But now the element of surprise won’t be there next game.

Lonnie referenced and stressed "defense" in his interview after the game.
Ham benching Lonnie, because of his lack of defense, must have inspired & fired LW4 up.

Hopefully he's locked in and ready to help the team play winning basketball.
NEXT MAN UP MENTALITY!
Robblake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject:

Thing about Lonnie is he’s been the ultimate professional. He’s playing with a chip on his shoulder and that’s a recipe for success in the playoffs
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure why but I found myself SO happy and really rooting for Lonnie during this game. When I saw him come in early for real minutes and doing well I was so excited, I felt like I was a proud papa cheering on my kid

where's my happy tears emoji??
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject:

What an amazing game by Lonnie. There was a defensive sequence by Lonnie on Klay in the second that was really nice and I'm looking forward to him playing big minutes against GSW the rest of the series
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Love the defense he brought and his interview. He learned a lot by sitting and experiencing a winning culture. The grething is he can get Buckets in bunches at times.
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:12 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

Yea, this should be our basic strategy. Make it as hard as possible for Steph and Klay and tired legs will have an impact on their shooting. Wiggins not gonna do much against AD in the interior and isn't close to being generational shooter like splash bros. Poole has same basketball IQ as Nick Young though more skilled as a shooter. Klay and Steph shooting lights out sets the entire tone for that team.
lakerlove123
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject:

If you guys haven't seen Lonnie ever speak, like I hadn't, here's the link to the interview some have been referencing:

Love how they have their little coffee drinks with purple straws behind them with personalized nametags. "Lonnie." lol, it's cute!
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:28 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
gng930 wrote:

Yea, this should be our basic strategy. Make it as hard as possible for Steph and Klay and tired legs will have an impact on their shooting. Wiggins not gonna do much against AD in the interior and isn't close to being generational shooter like splash bros. Poole has same basketball IQ as Nick Young though more skilled as a shooter. Klay and Steph shooting lights out sets the entire tone for that team.

I would say Nick is a better shooter than Poole actually. Even with the dance routine.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 10:31 pm    Post subject:

lakerlove123 wrote:
If you guys haven't seen Lonnie ever speak, like I hadn't, here's the link to the interview some have been referencing:

Love how they have their little coffee drinks with purple straws behind them with personalized nametags. "Lonnie." lol, it's cute!

He did a podcast talking about how he wanted to play for the Lakers, how special AD and Bron wanting him was to him, and how much he loves Pop and the Spurs for the way they treat his family and even invited him to dinner when we played in San Antonio.

It’s the Buckets podcast where he talked for like an hour even about being in the g league and getting hurt for the first time ever this year
kfkilla
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:22 pm    Post subject:

lakerlove123 wrote:

LOL @ DLO in the back!
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:48 pm    Post subject:

Hopefully we can bring him back and he continues to develop. But I guess we can't bring back everyone though

Love watching him play though
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 11:49 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

Missed the game today but saw a few people mention beforehand that Lonnie was surprisingly good at trailing guys on defense. If that worked for him today, then excellent! Reminds me of 2020 when we had random guys in/out of the rotation based on skill sets.
dcastillo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:03 am    Post subject:

Like seeing Dennis put his arm around Lonnie once his night was finished. Like saying we still need you despite you not getting minutes.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:48 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

That's what I saw. He could match the quickness, even if he isn't much of a technical defender.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:

Yeah he’s got a slight build which gives him trouble in physical matchups but he’s always had speed and athleticism to be a serviceable defender. It was mostly a question of effort and focus which waxed and waned. Great performance last night. He’s been a professional and it paid off. That kind of mentality is going to get him a contract next season
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:07 am    Post subject:

LW4! Great to see him getting some run and delivering, I am a fan of his.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 29 of 41
Jump to: