LONNIE WALKER IV signs with Nets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:49 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
hype wrote:

This.. I seen people on this board even talking about benching Reaves recently

Things can change real fast.. LW deserves every bit of praise he's getting and then some but a few days ago people were talking about possibly bringing him back for the Minimum and now he's suddenly a no brainer at nearly 8 million in an off Season we will have no choice but to let some solid guys go? I hope he has an incredible run for the rest of the Playoffs onto a Championship but let's chill out just a bit.

This is basically a rerun of Rui from the last Series who's hardly even getting talked about recently. We just simply have an awesome and deep roster with a variety of guys that are capable of going off for 15-20+ any given night. Our FO is going to have some incredibly tough decisions to say the least.

LG has always been a place where people are prisoners of the moment. For some posters, their entire opinion is determined by whatever happened in the past 24 hours.

LG has always been a place where people want to be a killjoy as evident by your posts in this thread since yesterday.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:12 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Spurs have a habit of letting talent go. Kawhi, DJM, Poeltl, Lonnie, White, etc. I'm not sure what the deal with Lonnie was, but he practically saved the Lakers season last night. DeRozan walking also kind of nullified the return they got for Kawhi. Not that they were going to win a ring without the Duncan/Parker/Manu trio, but they aren't the top notch franchise they used to be. Seems like their secret formula is no longer a secret, now that every team has international scouts up the wazoo. The globalization of the game has made it difficult for them to create the same separation they used to have from other top notch franchises. I also think it's partially on RC Buford for not adjusting to the modern era more. He's certainly no Sam Presti. One can only build around Duncan for so long, and now they are banking on drafting someone like Wemby or Scoot. This was an issue with Mitch and Jim, as Kobe was nearing retirement. I'm not sure where they go from here. The rebuild will be long and grueling. They might be in the lottery for a while.

Actually, I think the Spurs have been playing it smart. They're fishing for a bona fide star. They thought that they were set with Kawhi, but then he flaked out. In hindsight, they caught a break of sorts, because they could still be trying to build a team around him just like the Clippers. They've run through some other guys like Murray and DeRozan, but those guys just weren't good enough to build around. They ditched them.

This makes sense if your goal is to contend, and not just to win a few games. You aren't going to achieve much of anything with guys like Murray and DeRozan. Ask the Bulls about that.

As for Walker, he's been hot garbage for five seasons. No matter how anyone tries to spin it, the Spurs agreed to let him walk for nothing. He's had a couple productive games now, and that's great. But everything gets blown out of proportion in the playoffs. Remember when Sasha Vujacic dropped a hammer on the Celtics in the Finals?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Spurs have a habit of letting talent go. Kawhi, DJM, Poeltl, Lonnie, White, etc. I'm not sure what the deal with Lonnie was, but he practically saved the Lakers season last night. DeRozan walking also kind of nullified the return they got for Kawhi. Not that they were going to win a ring without the Duncan/Parker/Manu trio, but they aren't the top notch franchise they used to be. Seems like their secret formula is no longer a secret, now that every team has international scouts up the wazoo. The globalization of the game has made it difficult for them to create the same separation they used to have from other top notch franchises. I also think it's partially on RC Buford for not adjusting to the modern era more. He's certainly no Sam Presti. One can only build around Duncan for so long, and now they are banking on drafting someone like Wemby or Scoot. This was an issue with Mitch and Jim, as Kobe was nearing retirement. I'm not sure where they go from here. The rebuild will be long and grueling. They might be in the lottery for a while.

Actually, I think the Spurs have been playing it smart. They're fishing for a bona fide star. They thought that they were set with Kawhi, but then he flaked out. In hindsight, they caught a break of sorts, because they could still be trying to build a team around him just like the Clippers. They've run through some other guys like Murray and DeRozan, but those guys just weren't good enough to build around. They ditched them.

This makes sense if your goal is to contend, and not just to win a few games. You aren't going to achieve much of anything with guys like Murray and DeRozan. Ask the Bulls about that.

As for Walker, he's been hot garbage for five seasons. No matter how anyone tries to spin it, the Spurs agreed to let him walk for nothing. He's had a couple productive games now, and that's great. But everything gets blown out of proportion in the playoffs. Remember when Sasha Vujacic dropped a hammer on the Celtics in the Finals?

Time and place also have to be a factor. He has been on a bad team his whole career since the trade deadline so he was just looked at a a chucker that doesn't defend. Now he is on a good team and can be a valuable piece like Malik Monk and Jordan Poole last years version. Not a big salary guy, but I think at about what he makes now.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:20 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
Time and place also have to be a factor. He has been on a bad team his whole career since the trade deadline so he was just looked at a a chucker that doesn't defend. Now he is on a good team and can be a valuable piece like Malik Monk and Jordan Poole last years version. Not a big salary guy, but I think at about what he makes now.

Sure, time and place can be a factor. But he really didn't get any better during the regular season. I hope the last couple games aren't a fluke and that he has finally figured it out. Everyone seems to think that he's a nice guy with a lot of class.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:22 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:

Sure, time and place can be a factor. But he really didn't get any better during the regular season. I hope the last couple games aren't a fluke and that he has finally figured it out. Everyone seems to think that he's a nice guy with a lot of class.

I hope so also, I like his character
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:37 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:

At this point, I just look at him as a veteran journeyman who made a great contribution in a couple of playoff games. Hopefully, he's turned a corner and he'll keep it up. Or maybe he'll recede into the background and a Troy Brown or Beasley will be the hero in some future playoff game. But he's got his show something for an extended period before I will get hot and bothered.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

I guess I'm used to the Spurs being a top notch franchise and the model of excellence. Such a shame, because they were interesting to watch when they weren't playing us. Their run from 1999 to 2018 is probably the greatest in sports history. Sure, they didn't win a chip every year, but they also never went below 47 wins during that time. Maintaining excellence and a high level of play for nearly 2 decades is something I've never seen from a franchise in any sport, so their decline is... hard to comprehend. And I'd argue the beginning of the end coincided with Curry's rise. The game changed remarkably and the polarity shifted with the rise of the 3pt shot. Whatever advantage the Spurs had in drafting and scouting also vanished as the league expanded globally. No player today will go un-scouted if they are even semi-decent, and chances are they will be in the lottery if the potential is there. That wasn't the case for guys like Ginobili or Parker. Ultimately, Popovich's school of coaching will live on and continue to result in championship success (Kerr, Bud, Udoka, Snyder, etc). His success goes beyond the Spurs. People will say he's the GOAT, and I'd have no qualms with that. You raise a reasonable point about not being able to win with DeRozan or Murray, but you gotta start somewhere. It seems like they keep hitting the reset button with the talent they draft. I think you keep a guy like DJM because he can be a decent third option on a championship squad. The rest will take a lot of luck. The same kind of luck they had with Duncan and Admiral.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:

At this point, I just look at him as a veteran journeyman who made a great contribution in a couple of playoff games. Hopefully, he's turned a corner and he'll keep it up. Or maybe he'll recede into the background and a Troy Brown or Beasley will be the hero in some future playoff game. But he's got his show something for an extended period before I will get hot and bothered.

I don't know about that, he is way more skilled than Beasley an Brown as a 3 level scorer and way more athletic and still only 24 on his 2nd team. He needs to get better, but he is young enough to get better and be a nice scorer off the bench for a good team.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject:

Lonnie Walker IV vs Golden State Warriors

15 PTS
3 REB
2 AST
2 STL
6/9 FG
+8 in 26 minutes.
Quote:
SportsCenter@SportsCenter
A Kobe-esque performance from Lonnie Walker IV in the fourth quarter last night 🙌

1st Laker bench player, since Kobe, to score 15+ points in the 4th quarter of a playoff game.
https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1655923917586935809
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:

I don't know about that, he is way more skilled than Beasley an Brown as a 3 level scorer and way more athletic and still only 24 on his 2nd team. He needs to get better, but he is young enough to get better and be a nice scorer off the bench for a good team.

The point is any player on the roster can come up big in playoff game or two. Beasley could come off the bench the next game and hit six three-pointers.

And sure, Lonnie could still show more than he's shown so far in his career. That said, he has been in the league 5 years so he's quickly approaching the point where you have to talk about what he is based on what he has actually done rather than talk about what he could become based on his potential. This was a potentially big year for him and it was pretty disappointing. People are getting after his last big game, but that getting this could disappear really fast
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:

The point is any player on the roster can come up big in playoff game or two. Beasley could come off the bench the next game and hit six three-pointers.

And sure, Lonnie could still show more than he's shown so far in his career. That said, he has been in the league 5 years so he's quickly approaching the point where you have to talk about what he is based on what he has actually done rather than talk about what he could become based on his potential. This was a potentially big year for him and it was pretty disappointing. People are getting after his last big game, but that getting this could disappear really fast

Any player show up in a playoff game or two???? I dont believe that for a second. Same as you have big game players that can consistently raise their levels in the playoffs like Butler, Worthy and Shaq (in the finals), you have guys who perennially underachieve relative to their talent like Tatum, Eddie Jones and role players like Smush (who did nothing against Phoenix other than one key steal) and Kuzma (who can never seem to hit a key shot in the playoffs and was cooked by MPJ). There is no universe in which TBJ and MB have the same impact as Lonnie Walker had they played in his stead.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:

I’ve seen a few posts that negatively characterize Lonnie’s season so far. (i.e. “he didn’t get any better”, and “hot garbage”). Based on when he got playing time I disagree. It looks to me that he has had a decent season, has improved, and played well overall well beyond the last couple of games.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Tue May 09, 2023 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:57 pm    Post subject:

What's the maximum we can offer him, outside of a MLE? Just the regular minimum or his current salary with a % raise?

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

Any player show up in a playoff game or two???? I dont believe that for a second.

I'm not sure why. Scrubs and journeymen have an occasional great game all the time, and some of those great games occur in the playoffs.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:02 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
What's the maximum we can offer him, outside of a MLE? Just the regular minimum or his current salary with a % raise?

120% of his current salary I believe
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:06 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Any player show up in a playoff game or two???? I dont believe that for a second.

I'm not sure why. Scrubs and journeymen have an occasional great game all the time, and some of those great games occur in the playoffs.

Because take Big baby Davis for example. A scrub and journeyman who had that big game 4 vs the Lakers in 2010. He also hit the game winning jumper for Boston in 2009 vs Orlando. Point being, even if you are a scrub or journeyman, you need to have a certain traits about you to succeed in the playoffs. You give Smush and Lonnie Walker the same amount of minutes in playoff games and Im willing to bet that Lonnie is much much likelier to have the great game than Smush, who was not built for the playoffs, and yet started for us vs the Suns. If you are just looking at advanced stats and not the person, you would keep waiting for years for someone like Eddie Jones to actually be that second option for a contending team because Im sure Eddie had better advanced stats than Reggie Miller in that era when Eddie made the two all star games for the Lakers.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

If that's the case I'm more confident we can keep him

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

If that's the case I'm more confident we can keep him

Me too
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:16 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:

Because take Big baby Davis for example. A scrub and journeyman who had that big game 4 vs the Lakers in 2010. He also hit the game winning jumper for Boston in 2009 vs Orlando. Point being, even if you are a scrub or journeyman, you need to have a certain traits about you to succeed in the playoffs..

You make me recall Leo Powe, who scored 21 points against the Lakers in the finals to help Boston win a ring. In that glorious one game, the Celtics crowd was cheering his name as if he were Hall of Famer. Alas, l think for the rest of the series he averaged four points a game or something like that. If you think Leo had some special traits that the average NBA player lacks, we definitely part company.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Because take Big baby Davis for example. A scrub and journeyman who had that big game 4 vs the Lakers in 2010. He also hit the game winning jumper for Boston in 2009 vs Orlando. Point being, even if you are a scrub or journeyman, you need to have a certain traits about you to succeed in the playoffs..

You make me recall Leo Powe, who scored 21 points against the Lakers in the finals to help Boston win a ring. In that glorious one game, the Celtics crowd was cheering his name as if he were Hall of Famer. Alas, l think for the rest of the series he averaged four points a game or something like that. If you think Leo had some special traits that the average NBA player lacks, we definitely part company.

Very bad argument. Poe was nowhere near the offensive threat as Lonnie. Look at Poe's career numbers. Lonnie is a reals scorer and has proven that this season
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Leon Powe was a banger who could hit the mid range shot and was known as a good character tough guy. Ill tell you this: compare Powe with a more talented headcase like Ricky Davis and I would bet any amount of money Powe would help me win more playoff games than Ricky Davis, who would likely hurt me more than help me. If you cant see that Poole's character and who he is is a large part of the reason he is struggling this playoffs, then I would call you a just a numbers guy who cant understand context.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Leon Powe was a banger who could hit the mid range shot and was known as a good character tough guy. Ill tell you this: compare Powe with a more talented headcase like Ricky Davis and I would bet any amount of money Powe would help me win more playoff games than Ricky Davis, who would likely hurt me more than help me. If you cant see that Poole's character and who he is is a large part of the reason he is struggling this playoffs, then I would call you a just a numbers guy who cant understand context.

So you're making one of those self-fulfilling prophecy arguments: if any mediocre NBA player had one good playoff game by definition that means he was unique in some completely subjective and arbitrary way -- he had unique character, he was uniquely tough as nails, he was uniquely committed, he was uniquely driven, he was uniquely whatever.

Got it
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:

Any player show up in a playoff game or two???? I dont believe that for a second. Same as you have big game players that can consistently raise their levels in the playoffs like Butler, Worthy and Shaq (in the finals), you have guys who perennially underachieve relative to their talent like Tatum, Eddie Jones and role players like Smush (who did nothing against Phoenix other than one key steal) and Kuzma (who can never seem to hit a key shot in the playoffs and was cooked by MPJ). There is no universe in which TBJ and MB have the same impact as Lonnie Walker had they played in his stead.

Malik scored 23 in a surprise playoff victory last year against Memphis. It may be rare, but Malik absolutely can catch fire and win you games.

Just trying to process your argument and maybe I'm slow but are you implying that Lonnie will garner a lot of interest this summer even if he puts up nothing but duds moving forward? Otherwise, I think the consensus is that the talent is there but it needs to translate to a few more games of concrete and meaningful production to garner that interest. I genuinely hope that happens.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 2:12 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
I think you keep a guy like DJM because he can be a decent third option on a championship squad. The rest will take a lot of luck. The same kind of luck they had with Duncan and Admiral.

The Spurs sold Murray at the peak of his market value. They got three FRPs and a swap. Right now, the Hawks are regretting that trade. It was good business for the Spurs.

And yes, if you're a franchise like the Spurs, it does take luck. They aren't going to sign big name free agents. Lebron and Durant didn't have San Antonio on their wish lists. They need to draft a franchise player. They had one in Kawhi, but he broke down and flaked out. As we learned in the post-Kobe years, you can pan a lot of mud looking for that nugget of gold. Most of the guys we drafted have done okay, but none of them are franchise players. (Sorry, Ingram fans.)

So the Spurs are giving themselves a lot of chances to get lucky. Given the specific circumstances of the Spurs franchise, I think it makes sense.
DocK36
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 5:46 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Case in point, I remember how Leon Powe exploded in that one game for the Celtics against us in the finals.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 37 of 41
Jump to: