LONNIE WALKER IV signs with Nets
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:08 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Because take Big baby Davis for example. A scrub and journeyman who had that big game 4 vs the Lakers in 2010. He also hit the game winning jumper for Boston in 2009 vs Orlando. Point being, even if you are a scrub or journeyman, you need to have a certain traits about you to succeed in the playoffs..

You make me recall Leo Powe, who scored 21 points against the Lakers in the finals to help Boston win a ring. In that glorious one game, the Celtics crowd was cheering his name as if he were Hall of Famer. Alas, l think for the rest of the series he averaged four points a game or something like that. If you think Leo had some special traits that the average NBA player lacks, we definitely part company.

Very bad argument. Poe was nowhere near the offensive threat as Lonnie. Look at Poe's career numbers. Lonnie is a reals scorer and has proven that this season

I never said that Poe was the offensive threat Lonnie was. That is an argument that is happening nowhere but in your head with yourself.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:11 am    Post subject:

DocK36 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Any player show up in a playoff game or two???? I dont believe that for a second.

I'm not sure why. Scrubs and journeymen have an occasional great game all the time, and some of those great games occur in the playoffs.

Case in point, I remember how Leon Powe exploded in that one game for the Celtics against us in the finals.

Yup. It's such a simple, no duh point it's weird that some people have trouble getting it.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:13 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Any player show up in a playoff game or two???? I dont believe that for a second.

I'm not sure why. Scrubs and journeymen have an occasional great game all the time, and some of those great games occur in the playoffs.

Case in point, I remember how Leon Powe exploded in that one game for the Celtics against us in the finals.

Yup. It's such a simple, no duh point it's weird that some people have trouble getting it.

Considering they are Laker fans. Is that surprising to you? Apparently you find it worth the time to bring them down.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:27 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Because take Big baby Davis for example. A scrub and journeyman who had that big game 4 vs the Lakers in 2010. He also hit the game winning jumper for Boston in 2009 vs Orlando. Point being, even if you are a scrub or journeyman, you need to have a certain traits about you to succeed in the playoffs..

You make me recall Leo Powe, who scored 21 points against the Lakers in the finals to help Boston win a ring. In that glorious one game, the Celtics crowd was cheering his name as if he were Hall of Famer. Alas, l think for the rest of the series he averaged four points a game or something like that. If you think Leo had some special traits that the average NBA player lacks, we definitely part company.

Very bad argument. Poe was nowhere near the offensive threat as Lonnie. Look at Poe's career numbers. Lonnie is a reals scorer and has proven that this season

I never said that Poe was the offensive threat Lonnie was. That is an argument that is happening nowhere but in your head with yourself.

What is your argument? Poe was like a 5ppg guy. Lonnie if given playing time can score plain and simple. 15 points, 12 points in his last 2 playoff games where he got real meaningful minutes in meaningful games
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
activeverb wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

Considering they are Laker fans. Is that surprising to you? Apparently you find it worth the time to bring them down.

Not looking to bring anybody down. But honestly, if my simple point is pushing some people's emotional buttons, that's their problem, not mine,
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:21 am    Post subject:

Wow, nba draftnet hit the nail on the head when Lonnie was coming out of college:

Strengths:"Is unafraid of the big moment and will look to create offense when his team needs it most"

"Accepts contact and is physical enough that it’s difficult to bump him off his cuts"

"Has excellent body control, especially when attacking the basket"

Weaknesses: "Lacks defensive intensity, especially off the ball, as he has a habit of floating around the court instead of remaining engaged"

"Has a tendency to settle for jump shots instead of probing the defense … Focuses on scoring and as a result will sometimes force his offense or miss passing to an open teammate …"
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:

What is your argument? Poe was like a 5ppg guy. Lonnie if given playing time can score plain and simple. 15 points, 12 points in his last 2 playoff games where he got real meaningful minutes in meaningful games

I get what you're saying...Lonnie's performance was not a fluke unlike Leon's. I still think he needs to sustain that over a few more games though to get anything more than the minimum.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:10 am    Post subject:

Lonnie is a great athlete who shot 86% from the FT line this season and 36% from three on decent volume.

The only reason I haven't focused on him is because I didn't think we could sign him.

But if we can because somehow he wants to stay, then we should.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Wow, nba draftnet hit the nail on the head when Lonnie was coming out of college:

Strengths:"Is unafraid of the big moment and will look to create offense when his team needs it most"

"Accepts contact and is physical enough that it’s difficult to bump him off his cuts"

Weaknesses: "Lacks defensive intensity, especially off the ball, as he has a habit of floating around the court instead of remaining engaged"

"Has a tendency to settle for jump shots instead of probing the defense … Focuses on scoring and as a result will sometimes force his offense or miss passing to an open teammate …"

That's a pretty fair analysis.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:01 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Been saying for a long time that this guy is best coming off the bench as a microwave scorer.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject:

GS will now gameplan on Lonnie, hopefully other Lakers will step up.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:

The beauty of this team is the emergence of a different player when you don't know which one it will be. Opponents can plan for it, and then a different one strikes.

Tonight, I'm having fun with it, I predict Rui will be the surprise.
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

The beauty of this team is the emergence of a different player when you don't know which one it will be. Opponents can plan for it, and then a different one strikes.

Tonight, I'm having fun with it, I predict Rui will be the surprise.

I hope so, just that they’ve been playing Rui on the weak side, he hasn’t been getting any actions at all on offense. If Lakers are gonna play him, they better give him some run on the offense, because defensively he’s been getting burned by faster/smaller guards
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:27 pm    Post subject:

So useless on defense man.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:23 pm    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:
Spurs have a habit of letting talent go. Kawhi, DJM, Poeltl, Lonnie, White, etc. I'm not sure what the deal with Lonnie was, but he practically saved the Lakers season last night. DeRozan walking also kind of nullified the return they got for Kawhi. Not that they were going to win a ring without the Duncan/Parker/Manu trio, but they aren't the top notch franchise they used to be. Seems like their secret formula is no longer a secret, now that every team has international scouts up the wazoo. The globalization of the game has made it difficult for them to create the same separation they used to have from other top notch franchises. I also think it's partially on RC Buford for not adjusting to the modern era more. He's certainly no Sam Presti. One can only build around Duncan for so long, and now they are banking on drafting someone like Wemby or Scoot. This was an issue with Mitch and Jim, as Kobe was nearing retirement. I'm not sure where they go from here. The rebuild will be long and grueling. They might be in the lottery for a while.

Actually, I think the Spurs have been playing it smart. They're fishing for a bona fide star. They thought that they were set with Kawhi, but then he flaked out. In hindsight, they caught a break of sorts, because they could still be trying to build a team around him just like the Clippers. They've run through some other guys like Murray and DeRozan, but those guys just weren't good enough to build around. They ditched them.

This makes sense if your goal is to contend, and not just to win a few games. You aren't going to achieve much of anything with guys like Murray and DeRozan. Ask the Bulls about that.

As for Walker, he's been hot garbage for five seasons. No matter how anyone tries to spin it, the Spurs agreed to let him walk for nothing. He's had a couple productive games now, and that's great. But everything gets blown out of proportion in the playoffs. Remember when Sasha Vujacic dropped a hammer on the Celtics in the Finals?

I guess I'm used to the Spurs being a top notch franchise and the model of excellence. Such a shame, because they were interesting to watch when they weren't playing us. Their run from 1999 to 2018 is probably the greatest in sports history. Sure, they didn't win a chip every year, but they also never went below 47 wins during that time. Maintaining excellence and a high level of play for nearly 2 decades is something I've never seen from a franchise in any sport, so their decline is... hard to comprehend. And I'd argue the beginning of the end coincided with Curry's rise. The game changed remarkably and the polarity shifted with the rise of the 3pt shot. Whatever advantage the Spurs had in drafting and scouting also vanished as the league expanded globally. No player today will go un-scouted if they are even semi-decent, and chances are they will be in the lottery if the potential is there. That wasn't the case for guys like Ginobili or Parker. Ultimately, Popovich's school of coaching will live on and continue to result in championship success (Kerr, Bud, Udoka, Snyder, etc). His success goes beyond the Spurs. People will say he's the GOAT, and I'd have no qualms with that. You raise a reasonable point about not being able to win with DeRozan or Murray, but you gotta start somewhere. It seems like they keep hitting the reset button with the talent they draft. I think you keep a guy like DJM because he can be a decent third option on a championship squad. The rest will take a lot of luck. The same kind of luck they had with Duncan and Admiral.

Patriots had a more impressive run IMO. 6 rings, multiple AFC championships, 17/19 division titles, missed playoffs twice but had 9 and 11 wins in those seasons, far from a failure. NFLs a lot harder too.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Lonnie bro, time to remind everyone who you are. Lonnie Walker IV game 2.0

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:

Honestly I thought tonight was him reminding us who he is.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

The combination of the last game and this game is exactly who Lonnie is. He's an inconsistent player who can explode one game and disappear the next. He's been that way his whole 5-year career. And that's the primary reason that the Spurs let him go. They thought he was too inconsistent to become a significant NBA player.
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject:

He doesn't need 28 minutes.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

The combination of the last game and this game is exactly who Lonnie is. He's an inconsistent player who can explode one game and disappear the next. He's been that way his whole 5-year career. And that's the primary reason that the Spurs let him go. They thought he was too inconsistent to become a significant NBA player.

The main point to consider imo is that LW4 impacts the Lakers winning much more than Beasley and therefore should have been getting his minutes…which should be about 15-20 per game…but should not be getting minutes from other players. 28 minutes was too much.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 8:58 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Would you say Dennis is any more consistent?
matigol
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Lonnie and Dennis are pretty comparable at the early stage of their career.

Dennis was very inconsistent until his last 2-3 seasons. His game improved a lot, especially on defense and winning games. More matured now, he's a grown man!

Lonnie needs confidence of his teammates, and coach in him to play great. Otherwise he's inconsistent

He has yet to find his role in the nba
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:50 pm    Post subject:

I know he was -10 today but holy (bleep) he had some MASSIVE buckets to keep that lead in the double digits. What a story.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject:

He had some bad plays but he scored some big shots too. This is the Lonnie we need

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 8:59 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
epic_ wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:

Would you say Dennis is any more consistent?

At this point, Dennis is a savvy veteran who can do a lot of different things for you. He's a lot better overall than Lonnie.

Lonnie offers athleticism and offense outbursts. He's up and down like this thread.

When Lonnie has a good night, people flood in here to talk about how he's going to be the next big thing. When he has a bad night, it's a ghost town here. That's true of the threads about a lot of role players
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
Page 38 of 41
Jump to: