NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 472, 473, 474 ... 2576, 2577, 2578  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject:

What scenario we keeping Jones (since he vet), Reaves, Nunn, PatBev and still pick up a wing FA AND stay tax free? assuming more vet mins bench unit
dabask11
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:09 am    Post subject:

FYI we passed on this guy for Max Christie in the second round.

Link

Let's hope Christie can develop nicely. He needs a ton of work.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject:

dabask11 wrote:
FYI we passed on this guy for Max Christie in the second round.

Link

Let's hope Christie can develop nicely. He needs a ton of work.

I usually give the org the benefit of the doubt on the whole list of players taken after but a fair amount of talk in Hardy when the Laker draft slot came up.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject:

Our 2023 cap space plan should include re-signing Nunn and Reaves. Keep Nunn means you eat 7m or so into cap space with his cap hold, so you have about 22-23m to operate with.

I'd rather not punt on this season and take on players who can help win now who may have contracts that go beyond this season.

Not going to lie, but Myles would fit our center needs perfectly. I think Bryant is still hampered by his injuries and looks off. Jones is a good backup center being forced to start. You have Myles/AD in Ham's funneling system and we are protecting that rim. I'm not convinced that a Jones/Bryant center platoon is sufficient.

However, I'm not eager to do 2 FRPs and I'm not sure the Pacers drop their demand down to 1 FRP (which I would do in an instant).

It all kind of makes sense. The Lakers postponed that press conference as they thought they were close to a Pacers trade. They then sort of inexplicably signed Dennis to add to Russ/Bev/Nunn at the PG spot. I don't think the Lakers will stand pat, as they have a major minutes issue at guard and now looks like we need more shooting and a more reliable center too (AD will not want to start at center).
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
BLF2145 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
If I'm one of the the middle borderline young teams... I would tank and see if I can steal Victor away. I think Victor is worth it. Specially if you're roster is still fairly young. I think this one way to get one big improvement leap.

Teams like Nuggets/Timberwolves/Pels/Raptors/Cavs/Hawks are young enough that they can afford to throw away a season.

The Nuggets aren’t going to be tanking, they will be competing to win the west. As will the TWolves, you don’t trade those picks for Gobert and then tank.

Agree. This guys logic tells me he doesn’t know much about basketball. The Cavs? You mean the team that just traded for Spida? The Wolves who will likely have three all-stars in starting lineup and DeAngelo who was an all-star just a few seasons ago. Or the Nuggets who if healthy will be in conversation as one of the best teams in the NBA.

The logic of people on these boards sometimes is insanely confusing. It feels like they don’t actually know a single thing about the NBA other than being a Laker homer.

I was suggesting something out of the grain... Those teams I mentioned been pretty much stayed middle of the pack teams for how many years now. There's a reason they stayed there and can never get over that hump. Unless they make a move for a major player... Learn from teams like POR and Jazz. Those teams just wasted years trying to make the playoffs.

I just think Victor has one in a generation talent potential... He is worth tanking for. I get competing but I don't see any of those teams winning the title this year.

You do know that NBA players aren't going to play poorly and lose on purpose, right? To tank, teams have to put an inferior group of players on the court who lose even though they are trying to win.

How precisely do you think a team like the Timberwolves can tank? Are they going to convince Edwards and Anthony Towns to sit out the year?

Ditto for the Nuggets. They won 48 games last year and have the league MVP. How do you think the coach is going to turn them into a 20-win team?

The Cavs have three all-stars. How the heck are they going to tank?

Yea it would be something out of the ordinary. Something that would probably would go against the sportsmanship of the game but I guess it would still be difficult, because tanking does not guarantee you the #1 pick even if you have the worst record.

I think you're missing the point. In order to tank, a team has to put out inferior players on the court. A coach or team owner can't order good players to lose on purpose and they won't. So how do you propose that a team like the Cavs or Denver who have good players can tank? I mean, are you saying that the nuggets should trade Jovic in order to lose more games so they have a better shot of getting a higher draft pick?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Our 2023 cap space plan should include re-signing Nunn and Reaves. Keep Nunn means you eat 7m or so into cap space with his cap hold, so you have about 22-23m to operate with.

The cap hold isn't really the issue. If you want to re-sign him, it would cost more than $7M if he has a good season. It's impossible to forecast this early, but we could be competing with MLE level offers. On the other hand, if he doesn't have a good season or gets hurt, we may not want to keep him anyway.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

The cap hold isn't really the issue. If you want to re-sign him, it would cost more than $7M if he has a good season. It's impossible to forecast this early, but we could be competing with MLE level offers. On the other hand, if he doesn't have a good season or gets hurt, we may not want to keep him anyway.

Cap hold is a direct issue. If that Lakers want $30-35m, they will have to renounce just about everyone except AD/LBJ/Christie/Reaves.

With early bird rights, Lakers can compete with MLE offers. What this team lacks are middle-class contracts and having his would be great to have on the team. I can see him as a starting player thanks to his ability to shoot the 3.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
I think you're missing the point. In order to tank, a team has to put out inferior players on the court. A coach or team owner can't order good players to lose on purpose and they won't. So how do you propose that a team like the Cavs or Denver who have good players can tank? I mean, are you saying that the nuggets should trade Jovic in order to lose more games so they have a better shot of getting a higher draft pick?

Yep. The real decision will be for the marginal teams. A team like the Cavs or the Nuggets couldn't tank effectively unless they were so blatant that the league would take action.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Cap hold is a direct issue. If that Lakers want $30-35m, they will have to renounce just about everyone except AD/LBJ/Christie/Reaves.

With early bird rights, Lakers can compete with MLE offers. What this team lacks are middle-class contracts and having his would be great to have on the team. I can see him as a starting player thanks to his ability to shoot the 3.

You don't get Early Bird rights when you have cap space. The cap hold is not important. You can re-sign him, or you can renounce him. You can't use the cap space and then sign him with Early Bird rights.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:45 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You don't get Early Bird rights when you have cap space. The cap hold is not important. You can re-sign him, or you can renounce him. You can't use the cap space and then sign him with Early Bird rights.

I see. So then it's the same operative issue. It would reduce the cap space regardless. This FO has a flawed team building philosophy of having 3 max or nearly max players and a plethora of year to year min deals, and 1 year exception deals. We need to rebuild our middle class on this team for stability/continuity sake, but also to have more tradeable assets. The Russ situation is FUBAR b/c he makes 47m (nearly impossible to trade without Lakers sending out FRP(s) as opposed to 15m (easy trade).
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I see. So then it's the same operative issue. It would reduce the cap space regardless. This FO has a flawed team building philosophy of having 3 max or nearly max players and a plethora of year to year min deals, and 1 year exception deals. We need to rebuild our middle class on this team for stability/continuity sake, but also to have more tradeable assets. The Russ situation is FUBAR b/c he makes 47m (nearly impossible to trade without Lakers sending out FRP(s) as opposed to 15m (easy trade).

Sure. Nunn and Reaves are candidates for that middle class tier.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I really hope we keep these players going forward. That will likely consume most of the cap space. Maybe there's a little left over for a bigger wing.

But my preference is to do a trade now and get players who will eat into the 2023 cap space, but the Lakers are clearly looking to dodge the 2023 luxury tax.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject:

If our FO is preserving capspace for 2023, then it would be impossible to trade Russ for expiring contracts only. That means there could never be a Westbrook trade this season if our FO is steadfast on preserving capspace.

Hield isn't expiring contract so taking him on means no capspace to pursue Irving or Wiggins next year so I don't know how we could trade with Indiana though.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject:

Harrison Barnes-Nunn-Reaves-PatBev-2023 FRP-Jones-MLE-5 vet mins... under tax?
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I really hope we keep these players going forward. That will likely consume most of the cap space. Maybe there's a little left over for a bigger wing.

But my preference is to do a trade now and get players who will eat into the 2023 cap space, but the Lakers are clearly looking to dodge the 2023 luxury tax.

Don't you think the Lakers are better served spending money or capspace on a bigger wing, and a quality shooting 2 with legit 2 guard size vs keeping Nunn/Reaves on big deals? Reaves I like, so no worries on keeping him, plus I don't think he'll be all that expensive.

Nunn, not sure what his real upside/role is. Is he a starter on a good team? Is he a useful off the bench player? I would lean towards the latter. He doesn't strike me as a starter on a playoff lock/contender team. I could be wrong.

So for me, if we're going to wait this out and waste away another AD/Bron year, we should prioritize signing the pieces that we lack so dearly right now - which is a starting level 2 that can shoot lights out, and a big wing 3/4 type that defend/hit 3s. Wonder if Grant signed an extension with the Blazers. He seems like a solid target for us in FA, and so does Wiggins. Dray Green is pipe, but he'd be a great get too, but we won't have the money for him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Don't you think the Lakers are better served spending money or capspace on a bigger wing, and a quality shooting 2 with legit 2 guard size vs keeping Nunn/Reaves on big deals? Reaves I like, so no worries on keeping him, plus I don't think he'll be all that expensive.

Nunn, not sure what his real upside/role is. Is he a starter on a good team? Is he a useful off the bench player? I would lean towards the latter. He doesn't strike me as a starter on a playoff lock/contender team. I could be wrong.

So for me, if we're going to wait this out and waste away another AD/Bron year, we should prioritize signing the pieces that we lack so dearly right now - which is a starting level 2 that can shoot lights out, and a big wing 3/4 type that defend/hit 3s. Wonder if Grant signed an extension with the Blazers. He seems like a solid target for us in FA, and so does Wiggins. Dray Green is pipe, but he'd be a great get too, but we won't have the money for him.

I think Grant stays with the Blazers. Wiggins does too. You're looking at overpaying for a Harrison Barnes. 2023 FA class is just not great at all with our limited budget.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think Grant stays with the Blazers. Wiggins does too. You're looking at overpaying for a Harrison Barnes. 2023 FA class is just not great at all with our limited budget.

Their reported commitment to 2023 cap space is so bizarre, especially when you consider the FO’s historical obsession with stars. There are no available stats next summer except Kyrie, and the Lakers won’t have enough to max him anyway.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Their reported commitment to 2023 cap space is so bizarre, especially when you consider the FO’s historical obsession with stars. There are no available stats next summer except Kyrie, and the Lakers won’t have enough to max him anyway.

I don't think the Nets just let Kyrie walk out too for nothing. I think they will likely extend him on a contract that has incentives. Maybe that's why there is the report the Lakers do not consider Kyrie a FA target anymore in 2023.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:39 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

We can do both. That's the point of some of the trade ideas that have been kicked around. We're about $18M over the tax threshold right now. If we traded Westbrook into someone's cap space (say, Westbrook for either Turner or Hield), we would be out of the tax right now. We'd just need to pay the rent for the cap space. That, of course, is the sticking point.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:00 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think small score-first/average-from-3 guards are going the way of Centers-not-named-Embiid/Jokic/Gobert. Unless its Dame or Ja level, there’s plenty of these guys to go around and they might not even leave your bench in a playoff game. What Nunn-types made the MLE or better the last two years? Off the top of my head, only the Kings (Monk) and Lakers did this (two years in a row with Lonnie Walker). The smarter teams seem to realize these guys are a dime a dozen.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject:

Weird comment of the day:

Quote:
David Aldridge
@davidaldridgedc
·
2h
Adam Silver, in Abu Dhabi for the Hawks-Bucks preseason game, is asked about Victor Wembanyama: "I know that many of our NBA teams are salivating at the notion that potentially, through our Lottery, that they could get him– so they should all still compete very hard next season."

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think small score-first/average-from-3 guards are going the way of Centers-not-named-Embiid/Jokic/Gobert. Unless its Dame or Ja level, there’s plenty of these guys to go around and they might not even leave your bench in a playoff game. What Nunn-types made the MLE or better the last two years? Off the top of my head, only the Kings (Monk) and Lakers did this (two years in a row with Lonnie Walker). The smarter teams seem to realize these guys are a dime a dozen.

Gary Payton, Jr. jumps to mind. You mentioned Monk. But really, this gets into an argument about which player is or is not comparable to Nunn. There is no clone that we can compare him to, so that sort of argument is a futility. Fundamentally, I agree that supply and demand has depressed the value of smaller guards over the past few years. Just the same, if Nunn has a good season, he'll get paid.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Right, so I don't see overpayment there, and certainly not for a non-big name. So why would we pay up for Reaves/Nunn, when we've let dudes like KCP, Caruso etc go? Those two won you a ring, and not sure Reaves/Nunn will even reach the level Caruso/KCP had.

So the point is, sure there's going to lux tax savings, specifically avoiding the repeater tax. But when they actually have to spend it, I highly doubt re-signing our role players is on the priority. Think we'll make a play for Kyrie, Dray, Wiggins, Grant etc.

Jeanie is the one who tossed Mitch after the Deng/Moz signings. She can't keep Pelinka around if all he has to show for all this way and patience is re-signing Nunn, Reaves and overpaying Barnes. I know your point and reasoning, I just can't see that is what we do. We'll make a big play, IMO. Whether it works or not, IDK. But lets just even say, a package of a huge trade X, + 2 draft picks, is a lot more of a trade value than WB+2 picks is.

Last edited by wolfpaclaker on Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject:

Zach Lowe's rankings:

THE INNER CIRCLE

Golden State Warriors

Milwaukee Bucks

LA Clippers

Boston Celtics

Philadelphia 76ers

Denver Nuggets

STRONGEST CLAIM TO SPOTS 3-6, EAST

Brooklyn Nets

Toronto Raptors

Miami Heat

STRONGEST CLAIM TO SPOTS 3-6, WEST

Phoenix Suns

Memphis Grizzlies

Minnesota Timberwolves

Dallas Mavericks

New Orleans Pelicans

AGGRIEVED TEAMS WITH AMBITIONS ABOVE THE PLAY-IN

Los Angeles Lakers

Cleveland Cavaliers

Atlanta Hawks

GRASPING AT PLAY-IN HOME-COURT DISADVANTAGE

Chicago Bulls

New York Knicks

Portland Trail Blazers

Sacramento Kings

HOVERING IN PURGATORY -- YAY!

Detroit Pistons

Orlando Magic

HOVERING IN PURGATORY -- GULP

Charlotte Hornets

Washington Wizards

HAPPY TO LOSE

Oklahoma City Thunder

San Antonio Spurs

Utah Jazz

Indiana Pacers

Houston Rockets

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/34732456/lowe-annual-nba-tiers-ranking-league-best-worst-teams-nets-lakers
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject:

I was just sitting around wondering if things go bad for Chicago, is Derozan available. Then I thought, is there a way to get Hield, Turner AND DeRozan? And there is!

Westbrook, '27 FRP & 2 SRPs for Hield & Turner
Beverly, Walker, Jones, Christie & '29 FRP for DeRozan

Lebron/Hield/DeRozan/AD/Turner
Schroder/Nunn/Reaves/JTA/Bryant

Brown, Swider, Gabriel, Huff

Oh, to dream.

In reality, I would be shocked if we don't trade for a wing at some point this season. We just have too many guards.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 472, 473, 474 ... 2576, 2577, 2578  Next
Page 473 of 2578
Jump to: