NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1025, 1026, 1027 ... 2558, 2559, 2560  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Quote:
With Los Angeles Lakers aiming for another trade before the deadline, conversations were had with the Utah Jazz centered on Russell Westbrook, league sources told @BleacherReport:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1621523964093927427?t=EuU-lch6T--I8MiVPpTIYA&s=19

Westbrook
Jones
Protected #27

for

Conley
Beasley

Seems good to me.
šŸ’œšŸ’› šŸ† šŸ‘€ šŸ– #18!!!

Last edited by epic_ on Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/yossigozlan/status/1621532223190233089?s=46&t=rpSHyaACd5sq3WgEa8EDIw

I donā€™t see the logic here. Extend Westbrook to maintain trade eligibility? That brings his value down, nobody wants to keep him long term do they? If they did, you can do an extend and trade at execution. No need to do it earlier.

Agreed. Total nonsense. I also agree with most here that they canā€™t win a title with Russ. Especially in clutch minutes. He almost lost the game yesterday with an ill advised 3 and dribbling off his foot. If the FO is serious about winning Russ will be dealt with 1 FRP. I donā€™t think a minor tweak like GTJ alone makes the difference.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:59 am    Post subject:

Any Utah discussion likely centers on Conley and Clarkson and another low salary player (I doubt Vanderbilt would be included).
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject:

What happens between now and the trade deadline will seriously dictate the immediate future of the team. If no major trade is made and we hold onto our picks, I honestly believe LeBron (and probably AD) will be traded this summer.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject:

Yossi is just recommending that we do not allow Russā€™s salary potential to go by the way side. We surrendered a FRP in the Russ trade and his current deal Allieā€™s us to bring back just about 60m in incoming salary. We surrendered a FRP to get Schro and lost the ability to add about 20m in incoming salary when he expired.

Our books could reflect nearly 80m in cap space at the moment, but we about 1 week shy where that ainā€™t no longer an option and it costed us 2 FRPs.

For all the hype that our 2 future ā€˜27/ā€˜29 FRPs are getting and against the backdrop of us ā€œsurrendering our futureā€ in such a move, realize that we 1 week away from actually doing that once Russ no longer becomes an option as a tradable asset. It would have cost us 2FRPs (our ā€˜20 and ā€˜21) with a 1st round exit followed by no entry into the postseason to show for it. Now that not only messes up your present but mucks up your future.

Speaking of which, from the Haynes articleā€¦

Quote:
The Orlando Magic have made center Mo Bamba available, league sources tell Bleacher Report.

Minutes for the 24-year-old dipped in the month of January (10.2) and there are teams who are intrigued with the untapped potential of a 7-footer who possesses a consistent outside shot.

Try buying low on this former 6th overall pick and now you got him and Rui to groom for the future.
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:03 am    Post subject:

kwyitkilla wrote:
jankobe wrote:
Salary Cap question:

If LAL did not trade Westbrook & let his $40+M salary expire, do we have the same cap space in the off season?

No its about 30 million

Even then we gotta pay Rui, Reaves anyone else..Byrant?

That $30M will be GONE FAST and the current makeup of AD/Bron/Rui/Reaves is pretty much what next years team will be while sprinkling in Vet mins.

IF Russ is traded we can add actual starter level player/s NOW.

Best way to think about trading Russ or PBev or Walker is that we would be doing our offseason shopping NOW because once the season is over those contracts expire and we have no money to shop for starting level players at that time.

It's almost a must that some other kind of trade needs to happen or Bron/AD could very easily demand out, which some might be happy with /shrug.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:10 am    Post subject:

Utah has
Conley
Clarkson
Beasley
Sexton

Might allow ham to go with 5 guards
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The cap is the issue though (repeater tax). After Bron, AD. You don't have a lot left there to give FVV + Trent + re-sign Rui/Reaves before the repeater tax is an issue. However on paper. just for this year and next, it's a hell of an improvement to our team adding FVV + Trent. The thing is as some will defintely speculate, defensively, unless we begin to scheme and make some changes, that team is an excellent offense unit but defensively we may get exposed in the playoffs.

This came up in Armin's poll thread. I'd favor that trade only if ownership is committed to paying the repeater tax for the next couple years. Resigning VanVleet and Trent would cost $55-60M per year. (Yes, I know that some people think they could be signed for less, but you need to plan for this sort of range.) If you add in Hachimura and Reaves for another $15-20M, we're looking at an enormous amount of luxury tax. If we're going to cut corners to avoid the tax (think Caruso), then this isn't such an appealing idea. You'd be looking at aging Lebron, oft-injured Davis, Trent, VanVleet, and 10 vet mins/rookies.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject:

Hopefully we can get Clarkson, btw I wonder if Jazz would be willing to take Lonnie off our hands?
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:19 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Yossi is just recommending that we do not allow Russā€™s salary potential to go by the way side. We surrendered a FRP in the Russ trade and his current deal Allieā€™s us to bring back just about 60m in incoming salary. We surrendered a FRP to get Schro and lost the ability to add about 20m in incoming salary when he expired.

Our books could reflect nearly 80m in cap space at the moment, but we about 1 week shy where that ainā€™t no longer an option and it costed us 2 FRPs.

For all the hype that our 2 future ā€˜27/ā€˜29 FRPs are getting and against the backdrop of us ā€œsurrendering our futureā€ in such a move, realize that we 1 week away from actually doing that once Russ no longer becomes an option as a tradable asset. It would have cost us 2FRPs (our ā€˜20 and ā€˜21) with a 1st round exit followed by no entry into the postseason to show for it. Now that not only messes up your present but mucks up your future.

Quote:
The Orlando Magic have made center Mo Bamba available, league sources tell Bleacher Report.

Minutes for the 24-year-old dipped in the month of January (10.2) and there are teams who are intrigued with the untapped potential of a 7-footer who possesses a consistent outside shot.

Try buying low on this former 6th overall pick and now you got him and Rui to groom for the future.

Hey Vasa

I was all on the Turner train and if it still happened I wouldn't be mad BUT I just keep wondering if Rob did go get Turner or lets say some other center like Bamba what does that do to Rui? Does that push Bron to the point?

Just seems like Rui was Robs answer to needing a big man. Do you trade for Bamba only for depth? Isn't that what Bryant is ATM?

What I see with the Rui trade:

5-AD/Bryant
4-Rui or Bron/Gab
3-Rui or Bron/Gab

Then of course you can always try Bryant at the 5 and bring down AD but that puts Rui or Bron on the bench.

Honestly the thought of getting the two Raptor guards is growing on me.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:

Yossi is saying to extend him within the S&T limits so we can trade him in June/July?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:

I've been on the Bamba train for a while too.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that Russ becomes an untradeable asset. I don't necessarily see the cap-space teams going after him and I don't him see him taking MLE offers without trying to negotiate a S&T first.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject:

We obviously have to resign Rui next year. The money will go quick because I think Reaves, Bryant, and DS (yes I said it) have to be resigned as well.
Balto
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:26 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
The cap is the issue though (repeater tax). After Bron, AD. You don't have a lot left there to give FVV + Trent + re-sign Rui/Reaves before the repeater tax is an issue. However on paper. just for this year and next, it's a hell of an improvement to our team adding FVV + Trent. The thing is as some will defintely speculate, defensively, unless we begin to scheme and make some changes, that team is an excellent offense unit but defensively we may get exposed in the playoffs.

This came up in Armin's poll thread. I'd favor that trade only if ownership is committed to paying the repeater tax for the next couple years. Resigning VanVleet and Trent would cost $55-60M per year. (Yes, I know that some people think they could be signed for less, but you need to plan for this sort of range.) If you add in Hachimura and Reaves for another $15-20M, we're looking at an enormous amount of luxury tax. If we're going to cut corners to avoid the tax (think Caruso), then this isn't such an appealing idea. You'd be looking at aging Lebron, oft-injured Davis, Trent, VanVleet, and 10 vet mins/rookies.

All of this is spot on but what I don't see a lot of people talking about is LeBron. At some point he will be off the books which includes his $50+ Million. Making this trade would show that the front office IS in fact willing to do whatever they can while Bron is still a Laker.

I mean even a team of AD/Rui/Gary/FVV is a very nice starting 4 for when Bron leaves. Also all 4 of those guys are young enough to have trade value themselves IF the Lakers want to blow it all up.

Just seems like a win now with potential for a future team without giving up tons of picks/young talent for old guys like Brog that wont have value after Bron is no longer a Laker.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:27 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

Quote:

Iā€™ve been preaching getting Mo on the cheap for awhile. I donā€™t think itā€™ll happen but it would be a good move moving ahead.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:28 am    Post subject:

i would prefer us to have salary in summer with 3 1st rd picks at disposal
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Hopefully we can get Clarkson, btw I wonder if Jazz would be willing to take Lonnie off our hands?

If you get in a 3 team deal with Utah, you can send Lonnie and a 2nd to our other go-to trade partner Orlando for Mo.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:

So Gordon Hayward?
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject:

I was just looking at THT's stats and it seems he's regressed even on a team with lower expectations and less veterans that get to eat before him. Can we agree that Rob definitely won that trade? Especially since some argued we'd have to include an FRP to offload that salary?

I also think it can be argued that Wenyen has been a more valuable contributor than Stanley would have been.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:35 am    Post subject:

I don't get the fascination with the Jazz players. All the available ones are redundant and/or uninspiring. You might convince me that Conley addresses a deficiency; I just shudder at the thought of getting another midget guard and how that salary will muck up the offseason.

Last edited by gng930 on Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:36 am    Post subject:

Beasley and Conley are signed through next year.. so that would solve some of the Westbrook cap issues (not letting it expire).

I would not give up both picks. Might have to be an unprotected (or very little protection) pick..

Does that seal vault the Lakers up to top tier contender status? I havenā€™t watched Conley much this year. I saw him last year when the Jazz came to town and he looked great. Has had injury issues in the past.

How is Beasley as a defender?
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:37 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Without the upside of our draft picks for four of the next seven years, if we traded both picks. Plenty of opportunity to capsize our competitive interests for the rest of the decade this season. All apologies to Lebron, but I'd cap our willingness to deal 1st at the deadline at one, with that being protected unless the deal with an unprotected actually made us contenders to get to the 2nd round. Such a deal is unlikely.

Alternatively, something that leverages Westbrook's expiring into at least one piece that can be helpful next season could probably be had with some modest financial risk.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
I was just looking at THT's stats and it seems he's regressed even on a team with lower expectations and less veterans that get to eat before him. Can we agree that Rob definitely won that trade? Especially since some argued we'd have to include an FRP to offload that salary?

I also think it can be argued that Wenyen has been a more valuable contributor than Stanley would have been.

I think most people felt this was a good deal for us.. but as much as we discredit Rob (and for good reason), we should also give him credit here. Holding onto Wenya over Stanley was 100% the right choice. Now hopefully Darvin will start to use him a bit more.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:41 am    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:

So Gordon Hayward?

more like Beasely nad Olynk where only 14m out of 24m of Conley is guaranteed and 3mil of 12mil salary of Olynk is guaranteed
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:42 am    Post subject:

Westbrook was definitely playing allergic yesterday actually it made me think rather he knows he might get moved, his post game comments have upset a lot of fans and it seems like he doesnā€™t like the LA media, maybe a decision has already been made?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1025, 1026, 1027 ... 2558, 2559, 2560  Next
Page 1026 of 2560
Jump to: