NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1028, 1029, 1030 ... 2633, 2634, 2635  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yossi is saying to extend him within the S&T limits so we can trade him in June/July?

Yeah, that’s exactly what he’s saying. Get him extended on a lower annual and roll his expiring K into next year to do it all over again.

It’s essentially like a S&t this summer, but like an extension post trade deadline, it’s going to have to require Russ’s participation.

Why would Westbrook sign a minimum or low-salary extension just so we could trade him next year?

If he's willing to play for the minimum or a low salary next year, he'd rather become a free agent and negotiate with teams directly. He doesn't gain any benefit from that type of extension at all.

Last edited by activeverb on Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
daytripper wrote:
It would be a bit embarrassing for them if they have to bring them all back after the deadline. If Ainge is that desperate for a FRP then make them give up their best roleplayers or no freaking deal.

I think you are misreading Ainge. He isn't desperate to do anything. He's got a team that is half a game out of a seeded playoff spot. His rebuild is ahead of schedule. He doesn't have any bad contracts, except maybe THT. If the trade window comes and goes, he'll be just fine.

so Rob dealt a bad contract for Pat Bev who has been playing well recently and is expiring this season?
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yossi is saying to extend him within the S&T limits so we can trade him in June/July?

Yeah, that’s exactly what he’s saying. Get him extended on a lower annual and roll his expiring K into next year to do it all over again.

It’s essentially like a S&t this summer, but like an extension post trade deadline, it’s going to have to require Russ’s participation.

Why would Westbrook sign a minimum or low-salary extension just so we could trade him next year?

If he's willing to play for the minimum or a low salary next year, he'd rather become a free agent and negotiate with teams directly. He doesn't gain any benefit from that type of extension at all.

he never said for Vet Min. in fact, if they are going that route, the salary might be pretty high, much higher than his value so his contract becomes a salary matching asset. i doubt they do it, and i really hope they don't.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

lakersfever714 wrote:
Lakers must be quite desperate to be dealing with Ainge again knowing his history. If Ainge is like the only person to even talk with the Lakers right now, then he's got all the leverage.

We put ourselves in a terrible situation right now because we didn't explore trading Brick when he was playing well. Now, I think we might get fleeced again. Hopefully, Ainge shows us some mercy.

Actually, that is not the case. I believe Pelinka has been in contact with a number of teams, not just Utah. Utah is just the flavor for the day that folks are reporting on. I mean, we just got Rui a couple weeks ago and no one was reporting the Lakers and Wiz were in negotiations...right?
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

pjiddy wrote:
Conley/Olynyk/Vanderbilt for Russ/Lonnie/1 protected/1 unprotected would be a satisfying deal to me. Tremendous size/defense/spacing upgrade. We get rid of Russ and one of our too many guards. Olynyk can be waived in the offseason for 3 million cap hit and Vanderbilt is cheap for another year.

we take on 36m salary for next year(17m if waived) and give 2 picks? oh boy
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Conley/Olynyk/Vanderbilt for Russ/Lonnie/1 protected/1 unprotected would be a satisfying deal to me. Tremendous size/defense/spacing upgrade. We get rid of Russ and one of our too many guards. Olynyk can be waived in the offseason for 3 million cap hit and Vanderbilt is cheap for another year.

Agree...but, I think those three dudes are better than what we have with Russ, Walker and a pick or two....I mean, would rather get a better trade going....but, I do think it's time to move on from Westbrook and you can't let him walk for nothing....right, Dennis?
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
joeblow wrote:
gng930 wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
Ainge rapes everyone in trades. I don't like Pelinka dealing with him, he will bend us over.

So you'd rather have THT than PatBev right now? That said, I agree that Utah is not a logical partner considering their available players don't really address our needs.

Vanderbilt alone addresses a DESPERATE need for this team (a backup defensive forward with legit size) moreso than 99.9% of the other Laker trade ideas tossed around.

Problems I have with Vanderbilt:
1. I don't see him as a true 2-way player. At some point we need set in stone consistent starting and closing lineups and you don't do that with situational players.
2. Because of their salary disparity, any trade involving Russ and Vanderbilt will also return a number of smaller guards
3. He may be available but not to us with our assets and willingness to give them up.

You said that the Jazz have no available players that address our needs. I merely pointed out that the assessment is false, and significantly so when it comes to Vandy. To your new points though:

1. Who said he has to be a verified two-way forward in order to help us? If he were outstanding on both sides of the floor, the Jazs would keep him or he'd be well out of our price range.

So being practical, it makes sense for the Lakers covet his defensive skills considering we are near the bottom in how many points a game we give up. As for how many points we put up ourselves, the Lakers have been #1 or #2 in the league since November 13.

Markieff Morris wasn't a reliable scorer at all, but as a defensive forward with legit size, he helped us get a ring a few seasons ago. Don't allow the lack of perfection be the enemy of the good.

2. Not sure of the point being made.... I wasn't even referring to WB in my post, but if he's part of a deal for Vandy, making salaries work is a given. A third team may even be used in the end, fine. I was mainly pointing out how incredible Vandy's skill set could help this team.

3. Same point as #2.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:33 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
daytripper wrote:
It would be a bit embarrassing for them if they have to bring them all back after the deadline. If Ainge is that desperate for a FRP then make them give up their best roleplayers or no freaking deal.

I think you are misreading Ainge. He isn't desperate to do anything. He's got a team that is half a game out of a seeded playoff spot. His rebuild is ahead of schedule. He doesn't have any bad contracts, except maybe THT. If the trade window comes and goes, he'll be just fine.

so Rob dealt a bad contract for Pat Bev who has been playing well recently and is expiring this season?

I'm not sure what you mean. Ainge is accumulating younger players. He didn't need Beverley. Conley and Clarkson are better suited to playing the mentor role. So he took a flyer on THT. There are still people who think that THT is going to break out and become a star. Ainge rolled the dice, and it looks like he lost. But given that he didn't need Beverley, he was mostly playing with house money.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:

Yossi is implying it be a 1yr extension attached to this year at the 30-35m rate, so that if LA is really gunning for a star “namer” (on a star bag ie 37-40m+) then that can only be accomplished via being capped out and using enough outgoing salary vs playing the cap absorbing trade route using cap space, where you’re only allowed to trade incoming salary of your cap room + 100k at the very most.

Quote:
If the Lakers goal is to at least be in the market for a potential All-Star trade in July, they need to bring back at least $30-35M in salaries for next season. That should give them enough outgoing salaries to match for just about anyone.

If they can’t bring that much salary back in a trade by Thursday, the alternative would be extending Westbrook to a one year deal at that amount to keep his trade eligibility (I don’t recommend this).

Notice how he doesn’t recommend this route either. Cause it would need Russ’s compliance in the matter.

Bottomline is it’s better to use Russ now to gain assets and/or future salary fodder to then flip to a 3rd star max bag type later if the option allows it. Plus we unlock our 2030 FRP to trade along with our 2023 FRP (post swap/draft) also to add to any outbound salary we have on the books along with the ‘26 (conditional) & ‘28 or ‘27 & ‘29 pick combo (although if trading ‘29, ‘30 cannot be traded also).
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
daytripper wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean. Ainge is accumulating younger players. He didn't need Beverley. Conley and Clarkson are better suited to playing the mentor role. So he took a flyer on THT. There are still people who think that THT is going to break out and become a star. Ainge rolled the dice, and it looks like he lost. But given that he didn't need Beverley, he was mostly playing with house money.

my point is Rob wasn't fleeced by Ainge, the only Fleecing done by Ainge was the Gobert trade.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

They’re all good players. All exceedingly moveavle. Vanderbilt has really good upside. What else are you spending the money on? We fill three holes. What would you prefer? We blow our cap on Klutch guys?
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:40 am    Post subject:

Any way you can get it done without Conley? I’m guessing it’d cost us the two picks?
#18 next...
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Any way you can get it done without Conley? I’m guessing it’d cost us the two picks?

Any deal with Utah is going to likely cost both picks. But the answer to your question is yes. Something like Clarkson, Beasley and Olynyk works.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

Yep hard pass on Conley, he is washed.

I would want Beasley back in any deal, good 3&D fit at SG potentially and relatively young.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

Call me crazy, but i don’t want any cap space next year. We’ve seen where it goes: Rich Paul’s under-demanded clients. GTJ is his only guy i would want next year, but he’ll have plenty of suitors. Any cap space we get goes to overpaying FVV and then MLE on Colin Sexton or any of his other undersized shooting guards, locking us in 3-guard hell forever. When have you ever liked a Rob free agency signing? Monk? Is that his best FA signing?

Rob can’t be trusted with cap space. Get rid of it now.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
Yep hard pass on Conley, he is washed.

I would want Beasley back in any deal, good 3&D fit at SG potentially and relatively young.

Classic “i looked up his age and that’s all i need to see”

Shooting 36% from 3. Still can play good defense. Age aside, ideal PG to play off Lebron and give him plays off. He’s still a great passer. Ham won’t have to feel like he has to close with him (but you can). He is a massive two-way upgrade over Russ. Vanderbilt and Olynyk gives us an insanely big/long team.
alleyoop
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:52 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Any deal with Utah is going to likely cost both picks. But the answer to your question is yes. Something like Clarkson, Beasley and Olynyk works.

Clarkson and Beasley would be real nice, but you’d have to look at moving on Lonnie somewhere else, too
#18 next...
Barry Seal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:

This is a horrific trade. My goodness
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject:

Breaking: Brooklyn Nets All-Star Kyrie Irving has requested a trade, league sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium. The franchise has been informed that Irving prefers to move on ahead of the Feb. 9 trade deadline – or will leave in free agency in July.

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1621582468762460161?s=46&t=824sINkLPGfMUaO-zDTiNQ

Wasn't he literally just saying he wanted to stay in Brooklyn? He's crazy please don't come to the Lakers.
BigBallerBrand
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:54 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/shamscharania/status/1621582468762460161?s=42&t=DkEIAACcmMbC_BM98thx0Q

Kyrie on the way!
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject:

Oh snap
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

Do not go near this clown.

Quote:
Brooklyn Nets star Kyrie Irving has told the franchise that he wants to be traded ahead of Thursday's deadline, source tells ESPN.

Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

Wow
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject:

LA?
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:56 am    Post subject:

No thanks, regarding Irving.
Stay away from that fool.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1028, 1029, 1030 ... 2633, 2634, 2635  Next
Page 1029 of 2635
Jump to: