NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1394, 1395, 1396 ... 2606, 2607, 2608  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
Okafor was the number one recruit out of high school, the third overall pick in the draft, and he has a longer wingspan than Kevon Looney.

I get that Looney has a huge motor and strong work ethic, but why can't Okafor be salvaged?

How can you be the best player out of high school, and then third overall pick out of college and then be completely unemployable as a third string center?

I like Wenyen and hope to keep him next year, but I don't get why we wouldn't give Okafor a chance on a ten day.

He outweighs Wenyen by 60 pounds... he might help in some games with Bamba out.

If he could have been salvaged he would have been by now. He sucks and some.of it is because he didn't put in the work

True but the main reason is we need someone defensively. Someone who can defend the paint, block shots and add resistance at the rim. Okafor is not know for any of those things

I realize now is not the time for experimenting, but Okafor has the same length as Kevon Looney... can actually score the ball, weighs like 30% more than Gabriel and no one wants to use the obvious proven talent like Boogie, Whiteside or Dwight.

He's better than a Davis DNP in the back to back is all I'm saying... that's the only bar he needs to surpass.

He might be better but then again he might not.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Pacers currently have the 25/29th pick. Lakers currently projected at 16th pick.

What if Lakers trade Beas/16th for Buddy/25/29? Pacers trade one expiring deal for a younger player and move up 9 spots in the draft.

Or Beas/16th for Myles/25th? Lakers get a big man to really be AD-insurance.

I can't see the Pacers giving away Hield or Turner (who they just signed to an extension) just to move up a few spots in the draft.

I don't think we are going to gain talent that painlessly.

Maybe not on Turner b/c he has such a good contract now, but I can absolutely see that for Hield.

Beas is several years younger and also on an expiring deal.

Moving up from 25/29 to 16 would be a good move for the Pacers.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Pacers currently have the 25/29th pick. Lakers currently projected at 16th pick.

What if Lakers trade Beas/16th for Buddy/25/29? Pacers trade one expiring deal for a younger player and move up 9 spots in the draft.

I can't see the Pacers giving away Hield or Turner (who they just signed to an extension) just to move up a few spots in the draft.

Maybe not on Turner b/c he has such a good contract now, but I can absolutely see that for Hield.

I think the Pacers would give this a hard and fast no, but kudos for trying to think outside the box.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I think the Pacers would give this a hard and fast no, but kudos for trying to think outside the box.

I kind of keep tabs on players that GMs try to get in the past. Buddy is now twice for Rob (2021-22 season) and this season.

I'm not so sure that the Pacers say no. They're looking to go to the new generation, and Buddy, well, he's an expiring deal and I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting a younger replacement in Beas and an upgrade on the 1st.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
Okafor was the number one recruit out of high school, the third overall pick in the draft, and he has a longer wingspan than Kevon Looney.

I get that Looney has a huge motor and strong work ethic, but why can't Okafor be salvaged?

How can you be the best player out of high school, and then third overall pick out of college and then be completely unemployable as a third string center?

I like Wenyen and hope to keep him next year, but I don't get why we wouldn't give Okafor a chance on a ten day.

He outweighs Wenyen by 60 pounds... he might help in some games with Bamba out.

The Lakers, and perhaps other teams are looking for athleticism and speed . He has concrete for feet unless he's made serious strides in that area.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:23 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I kind of keep tabs on players that GMs try to get in the past. Buddy is now twice for Rob (2021-22 season) and this season.

I'm not so sure that the Pacers say no. They're looking to go to the new generation, and Buddy, well, he's an expiring deal and I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting a younger replacement in Beas and an upgrade on the 1st.

I think the Pacers will be open to trading Hield (who is an expiring himself). I just don't think they would do it to move up a few spots in the draft.

If they are hot and heavy for Beasley, could they do this deal? Sure. Do we have any reason to think they are hot and heavy for Beasley? Not that I know of.

And of course, the other X factor is how much tax the Lakers are willing to pay, and whether Hield would even fit into whatever spending limits they will have.

Anyway, I get it: You think the Pacers would be interested in this deal. Fair enough.
petergr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:35 pm    Post subject:

Is Buddy H that much of an upgrade over Beasley? So many players will look better playing for Rick Carlisle compared to Ham.
It takes a couple of late firsts to move up from late 20s into 15/16 range. Lakers should stop making win now trades and stick somewhat younger players
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Ew at Buddy. He’s slightly better than Beasley but older and just as bad defensively. Lakers already have Max Christie coming up and Austin Reaves at SG so Buddy is just pointless now.

The draft pick we have is so much more useful both both and in the long term than Buddy. Not to mention much cheaper.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:
Is Buddy H that much of an upgrade over Beasley? So many players will look better playing for Rick Carlisle compared to Ham.
It takes a couple of late firsts to move up from late 20s into 15/16 range. Lakers should stop making win now trades and stick somewhat younger players

We would be the favorite to win this year had we traded for Buddy
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject:

If we’re throwing away our lottery picks, give me Trey Murphy.

He’s going to be an all-star
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:48 pm    Post subject:

petergr wrote:

Hield is a significant upgrade over Beasley. He is a much better shooter and has more aspects to his game. In a vacuum, Hield over Beasley is a no-brainer.

That said, I wouldn't trade significant assets to get Hield at this point. I am not sure the Lakers would be willing to pay his $19 million salary with our other obligations.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:53 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

yikes no thanks

thats a almost a lotto pick. Keep cheap value players with high potential.

Last edited by Bron2AD on Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yikes no thanks

Yup, those are disgusting.. Hard pass here as well.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:35 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yikes no thanks

Wait, you wouldn't do Beas/16 for Myles/25? Have you seen what it looks like to depend on Davis as your only big man and anchor?
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
hype wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

yikes no thanks

Wait, you wouldn't do Beas/16 for Myles/25? Have you seen what it looks like to depend on Davis as your only big man and anchor?

They still have Bamba….don’t need Turner at $20 million a year.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 9:20 pm    Post subject:

Makes me super depressed that Terrence Ross has been balling while we have had Lonnie Walker in the dog house when the right move at the trade deadline was to trade him, Terrence Ross should have been a Laker at the trade deadline
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Makes me super depressed that Terrence Ross has been balling while we have had Lonnie Walker in the dog house when the right move at the trade deadline was to trade him, Terrence Ross should have been a Laker at the trade deadline

Walker by himself wouldn't have been enough salary to get Ross. I think to make a deal for Ross we would have had to use players we used for other trades.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:23 am    Post subject:

For those of you who still dream of Kyrie Irving:

Quote:
Perhaps in a bid to put Friday night's latest defeat to the back of his mind, Irving opted to spend his off-day posting on his Instagram, in part complaining about overuse of social media in his 45-post, one-hour spree.

Quote:
In a separate post, he also posted a quote which reads 'unlearning all the false information we have been programmed with takes time and patience. You got this.'

The subject he focused on most repetitively in his Saturday Instagram posts was that of the overuse of social media, posting various images depicting people's brains being powered by the likes of Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

The irony was not lost on social media users, with one writing on Twitter: 'Kyrie loves to post about how using social media and mobile phones is ruining all of our lives and destroying our brains.

'For the record, I don't disagree. But it does kind of blunt his cautionary tale that he has posted FORTY-FIVE stories on Instagram today alone.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/nba/article-11902763/Kyrie-Irving-courts-controversy-reposts-anti-vax-conspiracy-theories-Instagram.html
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:08 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
petergr wrote:

Hield is a significant upgrade over Beasley. He is a much better shooter and has more aspects to his game. In a vacuum, Hield over Beasley is a no-brainer.

That said, I wouldn't trade significant assets to get Hield at this point. I am not sure the Lakers would be willing to pay his $19 million salary with our other obligations.

Hield in a vacuum has never helped a team win games before. Hield has no playoff experience. Hield as a rotation player has never made a team even good enough to play as a play in team.

Beasley has been in playoff rotations. Beasley has averaged 20 in the league. Beasley simply has him beat in results in this league.

Right now Hield is Shareef Abdur Rahim, a loser that gets numbers but always loses when he touches anything
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 3:17 am    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Hield in a vacuum has never helped a team win games before. Hield has no playoff experience. Hield as a rotation player has never made a team even good enough to play as a play in team.

Beasley has been in playoff rotations. Beasley has averaged 20 in the league. Beasley simply has him beat in results in this league.

Right now Hield is Shareef Abdur Rahim, a loser that gets numbers but always loses when he touches anything

Malik Beasley has never averaged 20 points in a full season. Buddy Hield has. Buddy Hield is a career 40% three-point shooter. Malik Beasley isn't. Malik Beasley has never started a game in the playoffs.

If you want to fault Hield for playing on bad teams, that's fine. Just don't act like Beasley has ever done anything in his career, even playing on better teams than Hield. He just hasn't.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:13 am    Post subject:

While I agree on the general consensus that Hield is a better player overall than Malik, I did want to make a couple of notes there. Yeah Malik never averaged 20 in a full season or hit 40% from three. But two years ago he did 19.6 points on 39.9% from three. He only played in 37 games that season, but rounded up that's 20 points on 40% shooting.

He's only averaged 13 points on 35.6% though this season.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject:

They haven’t even offered an extension to Dangelo Russell — they probably wont, because of repeater tax — and you guys are adding Buddy’s $20 million salary on our books, while throwing away our lottery pick. I just don’t know what to say. Most of the guys on the roster will be gone. Last year it was Malik Monk. This year it is Malik Beasley. Next year it could be Terrance Ross. (free agent list).

I thought Malik Monk was better than Buddy Hield last year, and they let him walk.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:32 am    Post subject:

^^^^

Sure. Beasley is a .378 career shooting from three. That's good, but not great. Beasley has the ability to release the shot quickly, which is an elite ability. If he made a few more, he'd be an elite shooter. It's odd to think that if he just made an additional 1 in 20, he'd be a potential all-star candidate. This just shows that the margins are really fine at the NBA level.

It's interesting that Hield has been more effective on defense with the Pacers (according to the metrics), though he still not a good defender. Beasley has never really changed, per the metrics.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:38 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
^^^^

Sure. Beasley is a .378 career shooting from three. That's good, but not great. Beasley has the ability to release the shot quickly, which is an elite ability. If he made a few more, he'd be an elite shooter. It's odd to think that if he just made an additional 1 in 20, he'd be a potential all-star candidate. This just shows that the margins are really fine at the NBA level.

It's interesting that Hield has been more effective on defense with the Pacers (according to the metrics), though he still not a good defender. Beasley has never really changed, per the metrics.

The thing is, Beasley isn't noted as an elite 3 point shot maker. He just takes a LOT of them. That is his "skill."

Buddy not only takes a lot but makes them more. Also, if you look at his other stats, he's improved as a playmaker, something that we see Beas is really incapable of doing. He can offer more than just chucking up 3s.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:39 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
They haven’t even offered an extension to Dangelo Russell — they probably wont, because of repeater tax — and you guys are adding Buddy’s $20 million salary on our books, while throwing away our lottery pick. I just don’t know what to say. Most of the guys on the roster will be gone. Last year it was Malik Monk. This year it is Malik Beasley. Next year it could be Terrance Ross. (free agent list).

I thought Malik Monk was better than Buddy Hield last year, and they let him walk.

So they burned a 2027 FRP to not offer an extension for both DLO/Beas? They just did that to help out Ainge?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1394, 1395, 1396 ... 2606, 2607, 2608  Next
Page 1395 of 2608
Jump to: