NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1402, 1403, 1404 ... 2574, 2575, 2576  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomoreshaq
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Mavs have Hardaway at 17M, Bertans at 17M, Bullock at 10M, Kleber at 11M, McGee at 5.7M. What on earth are they doing lol.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:16 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
Keeping a higher age limit to enter the NBA could also help the league develop value in G-League franchises and players could earn decent salaries while training for the NBA. Essentially, they can extract more value from College Basketball.

Do you think NBA teams will start recruiting high schoolers for their g league affiliate teams like college programs?
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:22 pm    Post subject:

nomoreshaq wrote:
Mavs have Hardaway at 17M, Bertans at 17M, Bullock at 10M, Kleber at 11M, McGee at 5.7M. What on earth are they doing lol.

They been trying to move like 3-4 of those guys. But most those guys got overpaid because they were going to lose them for nothing. The funny thing is when they traded for Kyrie they traded the wrong guys.

But I guess Nets didn't want any part of those guys contracts above.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:26 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
Keeping a higher age limit to enter the NBA could also help the league develop value in G-League franchises and players could earn decent salaries while training for the NBA. Essentially, they can extract more value from College Basketball.

Do you think NBA teams will start recruiting high schoolers for their g league affiliate teams like college programs?

I could see a layer of NBA prospects between the ages of 18-20 routinely finding their way into the NBA through a G-League feeder system. One way to help facilitate that is to tweak the rookie scale contracts to reflect G-League experience to incentivize prospects to go that route. Teams see interest (value) in their minor league system go up and players make money earlier and gain access to professional training.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

Quote:
NBA owners and executives were largely indifferent or fully against returning to high school gymnasiums to evaluate players, and even less enthusiastic about that idea without concessions from the NBPA on providing increased access to pre-draft player medical information and increased participation in several elements of the draft combine, sources said.

Quote:
NBPA executive director Tamika Tremaglio has spoken publicly of veteran players' concerns about 18-year-old players taking away roster spots as a reason for pause on lowering the age. Also, the rise of significant financial opportunities for players before joining the NBA -- including name, image and likeness rights in NCAA basketball and actual contracted pay with the G League Ignite and Overtime Elite programs -- has softened the NBPA's belief there needed to be an aggressive push for lowering the draft limit, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36018751/sources-nba-nbpa-table-minimum-age-discussion-cba-talks

Is that a concern for the g league? The g league veterans losing a roster spot to a high school kid. Or are the ignite and overtime elite programs only for high school kids? I don’t follow the g league

G League Ignite and Overtime Elite are different systems.

G League Ignite is a little hard to explain without some background. The players on all of the other G League teams are guys who have been through the draft in the past, whether they got drafted or not. They may have NBA contracts (Christie), have two-way contracts (Swider), or have no contract with an NBA team (Huff, until he signed with the Wizards).

G League Ignite is a special team for prospects who are not yet draft eligible. It plays a different schedule than the other G League teams, and it includes a few regular G League players to serve as mentors. The pay is much better than the G League. Scott Henderson signed a two-year after his junior year in high school for a cool million. Basically, G League Ignite is designed to get these kids ready for the NBA draft and to get them lots of exposure. That's why you get the exhibitions against international teams like Wembanyama's French team.

Overtime Elite is a competing league. It is not run by the NBA. They pay the kids six figure salaries and have a number of teams. I've heard that there is yet another league in the works, but I don't know anything about it.

I think this is great. I've never been a fan of college basketball monopoly. If someone wants to skip college and can make $100k a year or more playing basketball, they should be able to do it.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:13 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

They can't do that under the current system. Everyone has to go through the draft process, whether they get drafted or not.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I doubt NBA teams would ever recruit high school kids for the g league. They want to make the g league available for 18-year-olds who don't want to go to college or are academically unqualified, but they don't want to be seen as competing with colleges for 18-year-olds and encouraging 18-year-olds not to go to colleges. That just opens up a can of worms, without a lot of benefit.

Individual NBA teams don't really get much benefit from an 18-year-old going to their g league affiliate. When the kid turns 19, he becomes eligible for the draft. The NBA team that owns the g league affiliate doesn't have an edge in getting the player.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
JUST-MING wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

I could see a layer of NBA prospects between the ages of 18-20 routinely finding their way into the NBA through a G-League feeder system. One way to help facilitate that is to tweak the rookie scale contracts to reflect G-League experience to incentivize prospects to go that route. Teams see interest (value) in their minor league system go up and players make money earlier and gain access to professional training.

Once a player turns 19, he is eligible for draft. He's either good enough to catch on with a team or he isn't. If he's not, I don't think the NBA needs to do anything to facilitate guys to go into the g league. Most of the guys who don't quite catch on with an NBA team will go to the g league in hopes of standing out.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:57 pm    Post subject:

Naz Reid, free agent big man target this summet
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 4:38 pm    Post subject:

Nash Vegas wrote:

Reportedly, he is looking for $10 million a year and the Timberwolves may give it to him. So he may be too pricey for us
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:50 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Nash Vegas wrote:

Reportedly, he is looking for $10 million a year and the Timberwolves may give it to him. So he may be too pricey for us

Absolutely….no way we can offered him.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
With talks on a new labor deal in an advanced stage, the NBA and the NBPA extended the midnight ET deadline to opt-out of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement to continue discussions tonight, sources tell ESPN. The league and union continue to make progress on a new deal.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1642023918700490752
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
BREAKING: The NBA and NBPA have agreed on a new seven-year collective bargaining agreement, clearing the way for labor peace through this decade, sources tell ESPN. Deal includes a mutual opt-out after sixth year.

-Woj
Quote:
NBA and NBPA have agreed to a minimum number of games played – 65 games – for players to be eligible to win major individual league awards such as MVP in the new CBA, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

-Shams
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:
BREAKING: The NBA and NBPA have agreed on a new seven-year collective bargaining agreement, clearing the way for labor peace through this decade, sources tell ESPN. Deal includes a mutual opt-out after sixth year.

-Woj
Quote:
NBA and NBPA have agreed to a minimum number of games played – 65 games – for players to be eligible to win major individual league awards such as MVP in the new CBA, sources tell @TheAthletic @Stadium.

-Shams

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36025332/nba-nbpa-agree-new-7-year-collective-bargaining-agreement

Among the highlights not mentioned above:

--There will be a second salary cap apron, $17.5MM above the tax line, and those teams will no longer be able to use the TPMLE in free agency.

--Larger trade exceptions.

--An in-season tournament could begin as early as next season.

--Upper limits on extensions could go from 120% raises to 140%.

--Two-way deals per team go from 2 to 3.

Shams also just tweeted that NBA players will no longer be prohibited from marijuana. Of course, marijuana had already been removed from the drug testing program, but still, maybe it will induce Brandon Ingram to appear even more lit than he already is.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:50 pm    Post subject:

Things I like:

2nd tax apron
In season tourney (although I wish it had some playoffs implications)
No lockout
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:53 pm    Post subject:

Projected tax line is 165m, so 182.5M takes away the MMLE. Lakers will have to be creative now to bring people back. The dollar amount DLO/RUI signs matters a lot. I hope we can keep the MLE for DS
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:55 pm    Post subject:

epic_ wrote:
Things I like:

2nd tax apron
No lockout

No changes to current tax rate either, so there is nothing that can stop the clippers/warriors from keep paying the insane tax, and I think they can work with no MLE. Not sure about the in season tourney, it may become a young player thing with vets resting. 500k is a lot for young players and vet min guys, but it is nothing to Lebrons of the world. They didn’t shorten the season either.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:57 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
epic_ wrote:
Things I like:

2nd tax apron
No lockout

No changes to current tax rate either, so there is nothing that can stop the clippers/warriors from keep paying the insane tax, and I think they can work with no MLE. Not sure about the in season tourney, it may become a young player thing with vets resting. 500k is a lot for young players and vet min guys, but it is nothing to Lebrons of the world. They didn’t shorten the season either.

The tourney wins count as regular season wins. Only the final 2 teams plays 83 games. I think that's how I read it.

The other thing I love is the minimum of 65 games played for awards and all NBA.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
Projected tax line is 165m, so 182.5M takes away the MMLE. Lakers will have to be creative now to bring people back. The dollar amount DLO/RUI signs matters a lot. I hope we can keep the MLE for DS

Bron and AD combinedly only makes 88.5 M. So I think they can easily bring back DLo, AR and Rui, pick up Malik and Bamba options while staying below 182.5 M which would allow the Lakers to retain TPMLE. If Jeanie wants to reduce repeater tax penalty, they might opt not to retain Malik, Bamba and replace them with minimums.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 2:25 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Lakersfan1211 wrote:
Quote:

-Woj
Quote:

-Shams

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/36025332/nba-nbpa-agree-new-7-year-collective-bargaining-agreement

Among the highlights not mentioned above:

--There will be a second salary cap apron, $17.5MM above the tax line, and those teams will no longer be able to use the TPMLE in free agency.

--Larger trade exceptions.

--An in-season tournament could begin as early as next season.

--Upper limits on extensions could go from 120% raises to 140%.

--Two-way deals per team go from 2 to 3.

Shams also just tweeted that NBA players will no longer be prohibited from marijuana. Of course, marijuana had already been removed from the drug testing program, but still, maybe it will induce Brandon Ingram to appear even more lit than he already is.

I had suggested something like this as a possible compromise, so it's kind of a cheap thrill to see it happen. It will be interesting to see all of the details:

Quote:
The NBA is curbing the ability of the highest-spending teams, such as the Golden State Warriors and the LA Clippers, to continue running up salary and luxury tax spending while still maintaining mechanisms to add talent to the roster. The NBA is implementing a second salary cap apron -- $17.5 million over the tax line -- and those teams will no longer have access to the taxpayer mid-level in free agency. Those changes will be eased into the salary cap over a period of years.

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:20 am    Post subject:

So how does the new CBA affect the Lakers organization as a whole? Will it favor them seeing how “careful” they’ve been with their money over the past 7 years or so? Thanks.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:21 am    Post subject:

Seems there are no changes to the tax penalities other than no TPMLE after 17.5. That is the main area I was interested in for the Lakers. LA will need to re-sign the core of their roster, and also find a way to try and stay deep with the very high odds that they won't be able to keep Dennis as a vet min player who has started close to 50 games.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:42 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
So how does the new CBA affect the Lakers organization as a whole? Will it favor them seeing how “careful” they’ve been with their money over the past 7 years or so? Thanks.

The details are still vague, which isn't surprising given that they just reached an agreement a few hours ago.

Quote:

• There are changes to the luxury tax, particularly for the highest-spending teams, something detailed first by ESPN. It will involve adding a second tax apron — 17.5 million over the tax line — and teams above it will no longer have access to the taxpayer mid-level exception. This rule is targeted at the highest-spending teams (the Clippers and Warriors this season, the Nets were on that track before blowing up the roster.

• However, teams in the middle and on the bottom of payroll spending will have expanded opportunities (to spend more) in free agency, or to generate larger trade exceptions for other deals.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2023/04/01/nba-players-union-agree-on-new-seven-year-cba/

It will be interesting to find out what that second point means.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:36 am    Post subject:

Ok, Vas! Can we see an actual numbers for next season contracts, assuming everybody stays (one with and one without Mo Bamba, sub a min salary big; maybe another one without Mo/Beasley and get a Naz Reid or C.Wood?))
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:41 am    Post subject:

Vanderbilt is going to pay off BIG TIME come playin/playoff time. His defensive ability (and versatility) is HUGE and hopefully it becomes contagious.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1402, 1403, 1404 ... 2574, 2575, 2576  Next
Page 1403 of 2576
Jump to: