NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1559, 1560, 1561 ... 2561, 2562, 2563  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:24 pm    Post subject:

[quote="Bron2AD"]
al242 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
al242 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
al242 wrote:
I wonder if Bradley Beal is available this offseason.
D'Lo, 1st round pick and Brown should be able to get it done, he has outgrown his welcome in Washington it seems

Yikes no thanks. This guy has never won anything, always injured and is on supermax contract

His injury issue is certainly a concern, but I suspect a lot of it is attributed to him having to do everything for those Wizards team. With AD, Lebron and Reaves, he certainly won't have as much pressure on him.

We just need someone that can consistently create his own shot, something D'Lo unfortunately could not do.

He certainly would not be the 4th option.

I know many people are high here about Reaves, as am I, but he is not a better player than Bradley Beal...stop it.

Beal would be more like a 2A player, with Bron and AD taking the 1A/1B roles. We need a strong presence to carry us through the regular season when Bron/AD go out for half the season...I have no faith Reaves can do that at this stage of his career.

Fine he will be 3rd option. He is an injury prone player getting paid supermax

I would stay away from him

Yup stay far away from Beal. The 3 star model will only have a chance at working if the star coming in is actually better than AD and Lebron…so if we gut the team, we better be getting a Giannis, Luka, or Jokic, so in other words…no 3rd star.
al242
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 3:32 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Enough with the "Lets get a third max/supermax!!" strategies. They don't freaking work.

8 of the last 11 champions were for teams with at least 3 max-level players...it certainly does work.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject:

al242 wrote:
MJST wrote:
Enough with the "Lets get a third max/supermax!!" strategies. They don't freaking work.

8 of the last 11 champions were for teams with at least 3 max-level players...it certainly does work.

True but not all max players are on the same tier. For it to work, you need at least one mvp level/1st team all nba player leading the charge. That’s why the Russ trade didn’t work, not because the 3 star model is useless, but Russ wasn’t good enough to be the caliber of player we needed, despite what he was being paid.

Like I said in the above post…AD and Lebron need to be the 2nd/3rd options if we want to go the 3 star route, but no one better than them are available. So we’re probably better off beefing up the supporting cast around them (really
Hard to do also but imo more likely)
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 4:52 pm    Post subject:

We're talking about Bradley Beal? Jesus. The guy has FOUR years left on his deal. It's hideous. We're working with budgetary concerns that essentially hard cap us at the second tax apron now. He's a total non-starter at his price point and contract term.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
We're talking about Bradley Beal? Jesus.

It's still May. I'm sure we'll cover the whole league by draft night.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
We're talking about Bradley Beal? Jesus.

It's still May. I'm sure we'll cover the whole league by draft night.

Considering just skipping the week where people talk themselves into Zach LaVine.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:08 am    Post subject:

Back to the Center - Lebron is Lebron. There is no one in the league that can really match up with him. If he plays 1, 3 or 4, the issues would not be on offense assumung your 5 and 2 can shoot. That is why Bamba had promise, he could shoot. We are talking 15-17 minutes a game. One stint each half. Definitely think Lebron can still play the 3 (or 1) for that short a stint.

Defensively is where you don't want Lebron defending and chasing faster younger wings/guards all game. Looking back, had the Lakers made the Indiana trade a year ago, their core would be stronger had Reaves still developed in that situation and had they still used the 2nd round picks to get Rui. Now whether Jeanie/BFT would have kept a top 6 of Turner, AD, Bron, Hield, Reaves, Rui together (and also a need to sign a starting defensive guard) IDK. That's a lot of money, but it's also the sort of core you need to win a ring.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:55 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Back to the Center - Lebron is Lebron. There is no one in the league that can really match up with him. If he plays 1, 3 or 4, the issues would not be on offense assumung your 5 and 2 can shoot. That is why Bamba had promise, he could shoot.

Once again, you're stuck thinking about Lebron in terms of the traditional positions. He plays the Lebron position. At this point in his career, the Lebron position is sort of a hybrid 4. There are people who claim that he plays the 1, yada yada yada. Lebron has never been a point guard in his whole life. There are just times when the Lebron position incorporates offensive functions that we associate with point guards. The same thing is true for Jokic. Heck, back in the day, it was true for Bill Walton.

If you insist on using the 1 to 5 taxonomy, you're just going to struggle with a guy like Lebron. You are essentially trying to pound the proverbial square peg into the proverbial round hole.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:35 am    Post subject:

Brad Beal and LaVine are more realistic than Kyrie to me.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
Lonzo Ball NBA draft bust?
Quote:
The Chicago Bulls privately don’t think that it’s likely Lonzo Ball will ever play again, per @dan_bernstein
on Organizations Win Championship Podcast.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/chicago-bulls-privately-believe-lonzo-110056924.html

I don't regard guys whose careers are cut short by injuries as "busts." That makes it sound like it's the players' fault. But yes, if Lonzo is done, then his career didn't match the expectations for a #2 pick.

That's the way I looked at it, too.

A "bust" is someone who dramatically underperforms his draft position, like an Anthony Bennett.

An injury-ridden career is just bad luck.

Being unable to ever meet a timeline or play past the all star break isn’t luck alone. The guy routinely missed time post all star break as a Laker and a pelican. Whenever a time table has been set for him to return on any of his 3 teams he’s missed it.

And yes he is a bust. Lonzo has never showed greatness like Kawhi, Penny, Hill, Yao, Big Z, Ingram, or Zion who all stayed hurt. He’s never been great and then been hurt. He’s always been a role player who then gets hurt and you can never rely on to play or show any shred of toughness or willingness to return or play hurt.

Hell his brother as a rookie was better than he ever was, has already accomplished more than him, and in the same year returned and fought with multiple injuries. His brother was playing on a sprain and got hurt again, and he will still beat Lonzo back. He will still out play Lonzo and his career will live longer.

It’s insulting to Livingston. Livingston played more than Zo ever did. Livingston fought back, rehabbed relentlessly, played with pain as he’s always said before and made him useful. You can’t even get Zo to rerun in a timeline for minor things. So he is a bust and waste of a contract
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:13 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Brad Beal and LaVine are more realistic than Kyrie to me.

Why go after Beal when we can get someone like Porzingis who Emplay put him in the possibility list in his Lakers article..
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:17 am    Post subject:

Can't be a bust if you don't get a chance to demonstrate what you can do on a nightly basis. It's like what KD said about Oden being labeled a bust:

Quote:
“Nonsense. That’s nonsense,” Durant adamantly told ESPN on Sunday night. “In order for you to be a bust, you have to actually play and show people that you progressed as a player. He didn’t get a chance to.”

Zo's issues are either bad genetics or the result of Lavar's overtraining + the AAU garbage. I'll go with the latter. He had the body of a 30 year old when he entered the league. It didn't quite work out here, but he was leading Chicago to greater heights. That was going to be where he made his mark in the league. Look at how garbage they are without him. Barely a play-in team with 3 all-star caliber players in DeRozan, Lavine and Vucevic.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Back to the Center - Lebron is Lebron. There is no one in the league that can really match up with him. If he plays 1, 3 or 4, the issues would not be on offense assumung your 5 and 2 can shoot. That is why Bamba had promise, he could shoot.

Once again, you're stuck thinking about Lebron in terms of the traditional positions. He plays the Lebron position. At this point in his career, the Lebron position is sort of a hybrid 4. There are people who claim that he plays the 1, yada yada yada. Lebron has never been a point guard in his whole life. There are just times when the Lebron position incorporates offensive functions that we associate with point guards. The same thing is true for Jokic. Heck, back in the day, it was true for Bill Walton.

If you insist on using the 1 to 5 taxonomy, you're just going to struggle with a guy like Lebron. You are essentially trying to pound the proverbial square peg into the proverbial round hole.

Offensively yes. But on defense you still need to match up to what the offense is doing. Do we want Lebron chasing a Porter Jr on the perimeter or guarding a Gordon in the paint?
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject:

Assuming we cannot sign Brook Lopez, should we sign Drummond?

His size would have been helpful this playoffs.

Maybe for the BAE?
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:25 am    Post subject:

I think the stretch five is better to pair with AD like Brook or Turner.

Dwight worked because he was minimum wage and a still a lob and inside threat to score... Drummond didn't work so well so I wouldn't take him unless it was the third string back up on a minimum.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:26 am    Post subject:

I want to keep getting younger, so for me, unless we can use the 17th pick to trade for a difference maker who is 27 or younger, I'd keep the 17th pick. Assuming we can keep the current starting lineup next year (DLO/AR/Vando/LBJ/AD), it seems we have two holes - 3&D Small Forward and/or a starting caliber center. Because we have Max Christie, I'd personally focus on a starting caliber center.

The market is pretty bare. You are probably talking about Ayton, Turner and Capela. Maybe we have what it takes to get Turner, but he's making $35 million. I say pass, but it depends on whether the Lakers really want to realistic shot at a title next season. It would take bringing in a legit starting player for this team to have that shot, especially as Lebron/AD continue to decline.

With the new CBA, not sure it is worth it. Draft picks, especially for high spending teams, are going to be key moving forward. That makes the 17th pick that much more valuable. I guess if we could get a pick back from the Pacers for Turner (say Beasley/Mo/17th pick for Turner/1st round pick) that could be a good compromise, but not sure I see the Pacers doing that, especially not with how well Turner played last year. Of course, if Brook Lopez or Naz Reid can be signed as a free agent, that is a no brainer alternative and preference.

I say keep Rui, DLO & AR. Assuming neither will take the vet min, let Walker and Schroder walk (assuming neither takes the minimum). Pick up Beasley's option for trade balast or just as regular season depth. Give Pippen a chance as our back up PG, give Christie Walker's minutes, use the MLE (hopefully on Lopez, Naz Reid, PJ Washington or Jerami Grant), draft #17 (preferably a center), signs some vet minimum players to fill in the gaps and call it an offseason

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Because we have Max Christie, I'd personally focus on a starting caliber center.

I see lots of people penciling in Christie as a serious contributor next year. It would be great if you're right, but it seems like hope is getting ahead of reality. He may or may not be an NBA caliber player next year.

By the way, not that it matters, but Myles Turner does not make $35M next year.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:43 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
I want to keep getting younger, so for me, unless we can use the 17th pick to trade for a difference maker who is 27 or younger, I'd keep the 17th pick. Assuming we can keep the current starting lineup next year (DLO/AR/Vando/LBJ/AD), it seems we have two holes - 3&D Small Forward and/or a starting caliber center. Because we have Max Christie, I'd personally focus on a starting caliber center.

The market is pretty bare. You are probably talking about Ayton, Turner and Capela. Maybe we have what it takes to get Turner, but he's making $35 million. I say pass, but it depends on whether the Lakers really want to realistic shot at a title next season. It would take bringing in a legit starting player for this team to have that shot, especially as Lebron/AD continue to decline.

With the new CBA, not sure it is worth it. Draft picks, especially for high spending teams, are going to be key moving forward. That makes the 17th pick that much more valuable. I guess if we could get a pick back from the Pacers for Turner (say Beasley/Mo/17th pick for Turner/1st round pick) that could be a good compromise, but not sure I see the Pacers doing that, especially not with how well Turner played last year. Of course, if Brook Lopez or Naz Reid can be signed as a free agent, that is a no brainer alternative and preference.

I say keep Rui, DLO & AR. Assuming neither will take the vet min, let Walker and Schroder walk (assuming neither takes the minimum). Pick up Beasley's option for trade balast or just as regular season depth. Give Pippen a chance as our back up PG, give Christie Walker's minutes, use the MLE (hopefully on Lopez, Naz Reid, PJ Washington or Jerami Grant), draft #17 (preferably a center), signs some vet minimum players to fill in the gaps and call it an offseason

Myles Turner is making 20 and 19.9 in next 2 years. $35m is only for this year
rock0100
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
I think the stretch five is better to pair with AD like Brook or Turner.

Dwight worked because he was minimum wage and a still a lob and inside threat to score... Drummond didn't work so well so I wouldn't take him unless it was the third string back up on a minimum.

I agree. I meant as a situational backup.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
ESPN Sources: Nick Nurse has reached an agreement to become the next coach of the Philadelphia 76ers. Nurse — who won an NBA championship and a coach of year award with Toronto — now gets to coach the 2023 MVP Joel Embiid.

Reds622
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:52 pm    Post subject:

If Rui signs for 12… then can’t the Lakers sign Irving outright between 30-35 million if they move out the Mo Bomba contract?

Maybe you give Irving more guaranteed years at a lesser salary? That only works if it’s not all about the money and he wants to be in LA, obviously.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 12:54 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:
ESPN Sources: Nick Nurse has reached an agreement to become the next coach of the Philadelphia 76ers. Nurse — who won an NBA championship and a coach of year award with Toronto — now gets to coach the 2023 MVP Joel Embiid.

Harden gone. I can't imagine Nick Nurse having any kind of patience with him.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:01 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Quote:

Big upgrade from my perspective. Will be interesting how they tweak the roster though. Nurse excels at killing you by a thousand cuts, whereas the roster is built around a singular focus (Embiid). The Harden to Houston chatter feels more like a leverage play, but I suppose we'll see. If I were Morey, if you are losing James, I'd look to break him up into parts in return.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:39 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:

Maybe for the BAE?

Different strokes for different folks, however I would sign Mr. Drummond. He rebounds like Moses Malone.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
rock0100 wrote:

Maybe for the BAE?

Different strokes for different folks, however I would sign Mr. Drummond. He rebounds like Moses Malone.

I remember Vucevic being ejected against the Lakers and Drummond being the difference maker for Chicago. He's perfect off the bench.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1559, 1560, 1561 ... 2561, 2562, 2563  Next
Page 1560 of 2563
Jump to: