NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1560, 1561, 1562 ... 2588, 2589, 2590  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1663294344793669632?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ

Nurse made the right decision not to commit to coach killer KD.
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Because we have Max Christie, I'd personally focus on a starting caliber center.

I see lots of people penciling in Christie as a serious contributor next year. It would be great if you're right, but it seems like hope is getting ahead of reality. He may or may not be an NBA caliber player next year.

By the way, not that it matters, but Myles Turner does not make $35M next year.

You're right. He makes $21 million? That makes it more palatable, but my same arguments remain. I'd still prefer my route.

Re Christie - its not only that I expect him to be better next year, but if we have two positions of need, and he fits one of the positions, he's the tie breaker to me to go after the other position.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Can we get Jay Huff Back?
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Because we have Max Christie, I'd personally focus on a starting caliber center.

I see lots of people penciling in Christie as a serious contributor next year. It would be great if you're right, but it seems like hope is getting ahead of reality. He may or may not be an NBA caliber player next year.

You're right. He makes $21 million? That makes it more palatable, but my same arguments remain. I'd still prefer my route.

Re Christie - its not only that I expect him to be better next year, but if we have two positions of need, and he fits one of the positions, he's the tie breaker to me to go after the other position.

I've had a few posts about why I would prioritize a wing. I can respect the viewpoint that we should prioritize a center, but I don't think it's realistic to expect any center to play significant minutes, even if they start. But set that aside.

The difficult question is what our options will really look like. I'm discounting any big trade scenarios. I don't think that we have an attractive trade package, though it's better than last year with Westbrook. Aside from Vanderbilt, our most attractive trade assets are Reaves and Hachimura. Most people are militantly against trading them, and in any event, our ability to trade them is limited by the fact that they're RFAs. So we have a blah FRP in '23 and the '29 pick. I don't see those assets as likely to get us anything special when coupled with Beasley. But you never know.

So I think that the realistic scenario is letting Beasley go for luxury tax reasons, then taking a hard look at Bamba. There are red flags about his attitude. A year ago, the Magic declined to give him a qualifying offer. They later signed him for about the same amount, but only guaranteed one season. Our coaching staff has been around him for three months. If they think he can be functional, then we can keep him. (Waiving him and re-signing him to a smaller contract is really not an option for a variety of reasons.) We'd then do whatever we can to find some sort of wing.

If the coaching staff doesn't think that Bamba can be functional, then we can let him go and use the full MLE. We should be able to get a functional wing at that price point, and we might even be able to split it and have some of it left for a center at above the vet min.

V+ could run the numbers on this (and in fact has done so), but it's all hypothetical because we're just guessing at the numbers for Hachimura and (hopefully) Schroder. I'm not thrilled with these scenarios. Barring a surprising trade opportunity, however, I think that these scenarios are realistic.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject:

I hope we don’t waste #17 on Myles Turner

I like Naz ried/ brook Lopez with MLE
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject:

Would Doc Rivers accept being Ham’s lead assistant?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I wouldn’t…if I was Ham…accept Doc as my lead assistant. Doc consistently under achieved, even with the super team he won the title with he was expected to win more than 1. Credit for getting it done the one time, but he was expected to win another, expected to win with the Clips, expected to win with Philly. Not only did he post losses but were upset by lower seeds many times. No Doc! Even as an assistant.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Duncan Robinson/Omar/ 18th pick for Beasley/shaq
aiel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 6:58 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

Our rebounding at the guard position was trash. Christie will be key next year because he is a good rebounder and defender at the guard position.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

I have no particular reason to think that Ham wants to shake up his coaching staff or have Doc Rivers as his lead assistant. They don't have any particular relationship, as far as I know.

Beyond that, Rivers has been a head coach for the past 23 years. I'm not sure he'd want to be a lead assistant, and I don't know that I would want a guy whose been running his own show for a quarter-century to be my assistant.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:02 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I have no particular reason to think that Ham wants to shake up his coaching staff or have Doc Rivers as his lead assistant. They don't have any particular relationship, as far as I know.

Beyond that, Rivers has been a head coach for the past 23 years. I'm not sure he'd want to be a lead assistant, and I don't know that I would want a guy whose been running his own show for a quarter-century to be my assistant.

No to Doc but yes to Alvin Gentry as assistant coach.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject:

James Harden.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

Maybe Lue will give Doc a spot
BLF2145
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
Duncan Robinson/Omar/ 18th pick for Beasley/shaq

Tell me you don’t watch basketball without saying you don’t watch basketball.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:03 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
https://twitter.com/esidery/status/1663294344793669632?s=46&t=LZLzjVPmosqPbICOlCZLnQ

Thought it was BS for the Suns to fire Monty despite only having KD for a few weeks and with CP3 hurt and Ayton’s issues.

That might have played a factor also on Nurse decision because it just happened to him.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Thought it was BS for the Suns to fire Monty despite only having KD for a few weeks and with CP3 hurt and Ayton’s issues.

That might have played a factor also on Nurse decision because it just happened to him.

Injuries are a part of the game, that's when you need your coach the most to inspire. Two years in a row, you lose game 7s at home where opponents lead by 30 or more. I knew his job was in danger. Some coach firings don't make sense, but this one actually made sense to me.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Injuries are a part of the game, that's when you need your coach the most to inspire. Two years in a row, you lose game 7s at home where opponents lead by 30 or more. I knew his job was in danger. Some coach firings don't make sense, but this one actually made sense to me.

Monty was actually in a no win situation...People thought they were the best in the west but noone really give importance to team depth and thats what the kd trade took. Next cp3 gets hurt and Ayton pulls a no show...When mean no show i mean Fake that injury crap before the game..smh..thats sad

Thst final game lose ..there was nothing he could have done.

The only thing monty could have done was do what RDCWorld shows with Dovc Rivers says in the lockerroom to his teams. Security would have to come get me off Cp3/Ayton and the Owner for ruining that team with no bench depth. Last but not Least i would have my hands on Booker neck..as i would give him a reason for that trash backstabing twit he put out.
Palin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:

I've had a few posts about why I would prioritize a wing. I can respect the viewpoint that we should prioritize a center, but I don't think it's realistic to expect any center to play significant minutes, even if they start. But set that aside.

Whats your wing options?
Dorian Finney-Smith?
OG? (pipe dream)
De'Andre Hunter?
Jerami Grant? (s&t)
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:15 pm    Post subject:

Beasley/ 17th pick for Marcus Smart?
dj1337
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2023 11:16 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Beasley/ 17th pick for Marcus Smart?

why does boston do it lol? And we need shooter at that position, we cant put smart there, he cant hit threes well enough.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:49 am    Post subject:

How about targeting Kyle Anderson in trade this summer? He has good size for the wing position and is fundamentally sound. Guessing his beef with Gobert isn’t going to just evaporate. Question is what could we really offer. Wonder if they’d be interested in Beas. NAW is a free agent. Prince could be another good target.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 12:51 am    Post subject:

ksmgf wrote:
activeverb wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

No to Doc but yes to Alvin Gentry as assistant coach.

Wouldn’t mind AG joining the staff.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 1:54 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Back to the Center - Lebron is Lebron. There is no one in the league that can really match up with him. If he plays 1, 3 or 4, the issues would not be on offense assumung your 5 and 2 can shoot. That is why Bamba had promise, he could shoot.

Once again, you're stuck thinking about Lebron in terms of the traditional positions. He plays the Lebron position. At this point in his career, the Lebron position is sort of a hybrid 4. There are people who claim that he plays the 1, yada yada yada. Lebron has never been a point guard in his whole life. There are just times when the Lebron position incorporates offensive functions that we associate with point guards. The same thing is true for Jokic. Heck, back in the day, it was true for Bill Walton.

If you insist on using the 1 to 5 taxonomy, you're just going to struggle with a guy like Lebron. You are essentially trying to pound the proverbial square peg into the proverbial round hole.

The Lakers won a title with Lebron, past his prime, playing the PG position on offense. They had the matchups to beat both small teams and big teams (and shown by beating the much smaller Miami/Houston teams, but also the bigger Nuggets/Portland teams).

You're talking as if I'm asking for a Center to play 30 minutes a night. That is unlikely, unless he matches up very well with a player like Jokic, Embiid, Ayton etc. I'm suggesting the Center be able to play 15 minutes a night with Bron/AD. That's not a lot. Especially in the RS. 15 minutes at most, and then the rest of the game Bron plays with AD at the 5 or with a smaller lineup. This isn't impossible for a player of Lebron's talents. If the team asks Lebron to play 15 minutes a game at the 3, that's not going to derail his career or what the team can do. Overall as a team, they are better set up, to be able to match up with both big and smaller teams.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 2:41 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
The Lakers won a title with Lebron, past his prime, playing the PG position on offense.

Again, you're stuck thinking in terms of the 1 to 5 taxonomy. Lebron James has never played point guard in his life. However, the Lebron position can encompass aspects of the point guard role on offense.

If you can't get out of the 1 to 5 mindset, then try it this way. There are two ends to the basketball court. Even if you imagine Lebron to be a "point guard" on offense, he does not and cannot play that position on defense. So you wind up with both Lebron and Davis playing "power forward" and coming up with some theory for why Davis is really good at defending wings. This is an exercise in fitting square pegs into round holes.

The 1 to 5 taxonomy is useful for a lot of purposes, but it just screws up your thinking when it comes to someone like Lebron. Guys like Lebron define their own position. You arrange the team around Lebron. You don't just plug him into a static position.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 3:06 am    Post subject:

FWIW The two highest defensive rated teams of the Lakers old Lebron era (2018-2023) have him as a PG listed on basketball reference

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jamesle01.html

And while I don’t expect him to do that for 38 minutes. I think he can play 15 minutes a game on a smaller player. You need versatile defensive perimeter players around him.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1560, 1561, 1562 ... 2588, 2589, 2590  Next
Page 1561 of 2590
Jump to: