NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 2651, 2652, 2653  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
DeMar had an MVP season after getting out of Popovic jail. Hope it's same with walker.. Not MVP but much improved play

DeMar was an all-star in Toronto and through Pop learned a lot more guard skills and developed his IQ. I think his time in SAN made him a better passer and player in terms of decision making. You don't play like an idiot in Pop's coaching culture and get away with it.

Please, pop is a clown and way overrated by media and casual fans

Hasn't own anything if he doesn't have Duncan to save his a$$
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:23 pm    Post subject:

I just do not understand this roster at all if they keep Russ. Teams will be packing the paint again and we are back to a lot of the same spacing issues again.
Rubin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I just do not understand this roster at all if they keep Russ. Teams will be packing the paint again and we are back to a lot of the same spacing issues again.

I truly don’t think keeping Russ is an option at this point. Not that I have great confidence in the Lakers’ FO, but a blind squirrel can see that the Russ situation is not tenable.

The Lakers are holding out for Kyrie (and posturing about draft picks in the process) but I believe when push comes to shove they’ll give up whatever they need to for either the Kyrie package or the Hield/Turner package simply to wash their hands of the situation and maximize whatever is left of Bron’s career.

I would truly be shocked if Russ is in the roster come training camp. If he is, I would guess they’d tell him to stay home while they continue working on trades.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

You don't trust Rus' 40% from corner 3s?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:50 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Sounds like you understand it just fine
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

You can't sign quality shooters with the vet min. It's really that simple. Basically, there's nothing for you to understand. This is just what you get when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

People want 3 and D wings. You can't get the 3 for the vet min unless you're willing to take someone like Carmelo or Ellington. You can get the D for the vet min, but it's going to be someone like Stanley Johnson.

If you're looking for a master plan, you're wasting your time. At this point, we're basically hoping for a windfall out of nowhere. It shouldn't be a shock if we don't get it. But I think some of you will be shocked anyway if it doesn't happen.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
gng930 wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Just 23 years old so the hope is that he starts shooting well, he’s been working hard to Improve his defense during the summer, let’s not act like the dude is like 29 or something and has been in the league for 5-6 years, he’s still a young pup.

Sure, that would be great. However, talk is cheap. Every young player -- and even a lot of older players -- has the potential to get better. Some of them are going to do it. Some of them aren't. This will be Lonnie Walker's fifth year in the NBA, and he's about to turn 24. He needs to do it, not talk about it.

I agree with you, let’s hope he figures it out, no one can deny that he’s been groomed by 1 of the best coaches in NBA history, so that’s encouraging.

Or would you say it's discouraging that this is the current by-product of 4 years of grooming under said coach? That same coach then let him go to another team for a very modest contract. I have minimal hope for Walker. If you asked me to rank our perimeter players on the likelihood that they will be a part of a playoff rotation, I have him rated below all of, in no particular order, Westbrook, THT, Nunn, Reaves, Brown, and JTA.

Your acting like he’s been below average in his 4 seasons in the NBA he had a very solid season a couple of seasons ago.

I'm not ignoring that. I just don't like the trend I'm seeing nor do I like that the Spurs while rebuilding didn't even deem a 23 year old worthy of a QO.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You can't sign quality shooters with the vet min. It's really that simple. Basically, there's nothing for you to understand. This is just what you get when you're scraping the bottom of the barrel.

People want 3 and D wings. You can't get the 3 for the vet min unless you're willing to take someone like Carmelo or Ellington. You can get the D for the vet min, but it's going to be someone like Stanley Johnson.

You can't get it for the min but they had the TMLE available. Otto, Brown, House, Divincenzo and TJ all would have been better than the guy we got who doesn't 3 or D and is hugely redundant with our current pieces.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
I just don't like the trend I'm seeing nor do I like that the Spurs while rebuilding didn't even deem a 23 year old worthy of a QO.

The Spurs did give Walker a QO. However, after the Spurs drafted two guards in the first round this year, Walker saw he had a limited future with the team and asked them to remove the QO so he could become an unrestricted free agent. The Spurs agreed, since neither they didn't see Walker as a big part of their future plans either.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:03 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:
DeMar had an MVP season after getting out of Popovic jail. Hope it's same with walker.. Not MVP but much improved play

DeMar was an all-star in Toronto and through Pop learned a lot more guard skills and developed his IQ. I think his time in SAN made him a better passer and player in terms of decision making. You don't play like an idiot in Pop's coaching culture and get away with it.

Pop didn’t develop DeMar’s basketball IQ or guard skills. He already had those skills.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:

Please, pop is a clown and way overrated by media and casual fans

Hasn't own anything if he doesn't have Duncan to save his a$$

Can't you say the same thing about any coach?

Phil wouldn't have done anything without MJ, Shaq, and Kobe.

Riley wouldn't have done anything without Magic, Kareem, Shaq, and Wade.

Auerbach wouldn't have done anything without Russell and his 12 million Hall of Famers.

It's no big shock that the guys regarded as the best coaches had the best players.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:21 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
krisobe wrote:
Closing death lineup. Switch everything. Everyone can shoot/defend.

PG: Kyrie
SG: Walker
SF: Stanley
PF: Bron
C: AD

What? Johnson is a poor shooter. Walker is one of the worst defenders in the league, and he was a poor shooter last year, too.

Lmao you’re not switching with even one of Kyrie/Walker let alone both. Those dudes can never see the floor together or we’ll give up 2.5 points per possession.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:13 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

The roster is basically last year's roster, with just younger vet min players. They are hoping for a few things if they can't trade Russ.

1) Ham is a better coach for Russ, than Vogel was. Vogel was not willing to bench Russ for more than a game here or there in the 4th. He was also not the type that would get on players and the new coach is supposed to be all about accountabilty. AD and Bron have coasted a lot the last year or two since the title run. I think the hope is that the big 3 play better (they were 11-10 together last year).

2) The younger vet min players do better with responding to team assignments, energy, team chemistry than the older declining vets.

3) Because of the ages of the role players, they are hoping for a breakout or way better than contract value season from some of their role players.

Overall, I think it's unlikely we get a repeat of last year's awful run. Literally everything that could go wrong, did go wrong. The big 3 plan was for AD to play 5, Bron 4 and Russ be Russ. We came into the season with a commitment to play fast and Russ be Russ. But Lebron kept sitting out games to keep his career going, and AD of course got hurt. When Lebron kept sitting out, this didn't ever let Lebron/WB get any chemistry (the little they may have had developed). AD sitting out with injuries meant our fragile defense goes into complete (bleep) hole. By mid-season, Vogel had lost the team and the team seemed to have come to terms that they're not a championship level team (IE quit everyone just sort of quit). The high expectations not being met, were huge on the team. Lebron/WB having no chemistry, again, huge toll.

I think this year we're almost guaranteed to be a play in team between 7th-10th. Depends a lot on the West, but I can't see us have a repeat of last year. We should get into the play ins, and we should be able to be slightly above .500. This year if we're 12-8 after 20, everyone in Laker land (media, etc) will be celebrating the resurgence. I mean, maybe I'm pushing it there, but the point is no one including Lebron is going into this season expecting a title level team or run. Even in Lebron's meeting, all they seemed to want was a more competitive team.

My prediction is 45 wins, 7th or 6th in the West. We're sort of married to mediocrity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject:

zambia wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Dennis100mtrash wrote:

Pop didn’t develop DeMar’s basketball IQ or guard skills. He already had those skills.

I thought DeRozan improved as a player since he left TOR. Could just be his own evolution as a player, but he seemed to have had his best APG seasons in SAN and had to play a different style of ball in SAN than he had to in TOR.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:24 am    Post subject:

Kevin opting to hold out. Kyrie without an extension. Houston has their pick. Why isn't Sean Marks fired?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Kevin opting to hold out. Kyrie without an extension. Houston has their pick. Why isn't Sean Marks fired?

Perhaps the owner does not see Marks as the problem.

Nets are an extreme case of what happens when the player’s influence, tantrums and spoiled behavior dominates team decisions. It becomes a mess!

Sad part is the Lakers aren’t too far behind.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject:

Owner and GM signed off. They have no one to blame but themselves.

Rob Lowe traded for Westbrook. No one to blame but himself.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:30 am    Post subject:

As far as our team construction is concerned, we really didn’t have a lot of options. We didn’t even make the playoffs last year (and barley the year before) so it’s not like we are a lock to sign ring chasers. The only signing I would question is Walker. But on a 1 year deal, he probably was the best we could get. As of right now, our shooting sucks and will be an issue. I do believe a trade is coming prior to the start of camp, and hopefully the roster becomes more balanced, weather that’s with Kyrie or Hield/Turner, or other players from Utah, etc.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

If you're looking for a master plan, you're wasting your time. At this point, we're basically hoping for a windfall out of nowhere. It shouldn't be a shock if we don't get it. But I think some of you will be shocked anyway if it doesn't happen.

Agreed. For the vet min, we could only get someone like Melo or Stan but not someone who could contribute on both ends of the floor. My hope is that if we could get a genuine big 3 of Bron/AD/Kyrie, they would mask a lot of the weaknesses that our vet min supporting cast has. Basically, we'd just need young, energetic players who would have a lot of energy to expend on the defense while letting our big 3 carry the offense.

Bron 28 pts, Kyrie 24 pts, AD 20 pts. That would be about 70% of the scoring for 3 players.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:56 am    Post subject:

Nets are getting on my nerve. They're actually going to bring KD into training camps. (bleep) those greedy idiots!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:

Just because Windhorst speculates that Durant might hold out does not mean that Durant is going to hold out. I wouldn't give Irving an unqualified extension, either. I expect that Tsai is going to re-assert control over the franchise, and that does not include getting rid of Sean Marks after Durant says he wants him fired.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Nets are getting on my nerve. They're actually going to bring KD into training camps. (bleep) those greedy idiots!

Imagine the shock, a guy under contract is expected to honor that contract. The Nets aren’t alone in that way, every team will expect players under contract to come to camp.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:24 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

You can't get it for the min but they had the TMLE available. Otto, Brown, House, Divincenzo and TJ all would have been better than the guy we got who doesn't 3 or D and is hugely redundant with our current pieces.

Were those guys really options? We were offering only a one-year contract, and the team was a dumpster fire last year. We might have been able to sign TJ Warren, but he just missed two straight seasons. We could never have afforded the pre-injury version of Warren. The post-injury version couldn't get much more than the vet min. This tells me that the market assesses him as damaged goods. I hope for his sake that he proves the market wrong.

For sure, I question the Lonnie Walker signing for a lot of reasons. Just the same, we're scraping the bottom of the barrel. Once we decided to offer only one year with the taxpayer MLE, I'm not sure that it was significantly more attractive than the vet min from the perspective of a quality player.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject:

#18 PG #54 RNK 6'3" 34 year old Russell Westbrook (78 G 35 Min 19 Pts 45 FG% 8 Reb 8 Ast)
N/A PG N/A RNK 6'2" 27 year old Kendrick Nunn
ROOKIE PG 6'3" 22 year old Scotty Pippen Jr. (TW)
ROOKIE PG 6'5" 25 year old Javante McCoy

#44 SG #230 RNK 6'4" 22 year old Talen Horton-Tucker (60 G 26 Min 10 Pts 42 FG% 4 Reb 3 Ast)
#47 SG #243 RNK 6'4" 24 year old Lonnie Walker (71 G 23 Min 13 Pts 41 FG% 3 Reb 3 Ast)
#53 SG #268 RNK 6'5" 25 year old Austin Reaves (61 G 24 Min 8 Pts 46 FG% 4 Reb 2 Ast)
ROOKIE SG 6'6" 19 year old Max Christie

#1 SF #4 RNK 6'9" 38 year old Lebron James (56 G 38 Min 31 Pts 53 FG% 9 Reb 7 Ast)
#73 SF #381 RNK 6'6" 23 year old Troy Brown Jr. (69 G 16 Min 5 Pts 42 FG% 4 Reb 1 Ast)
#80 SF #407 RNK 6'6" 30 year old Juan Toscano-Anderson (87 G 12 Min 4 Pts 49 FG% 3 Reb 2 Ast)
ROOKIE SF 6'9" 23 year old Cole Swider (TW)

#4 PF #9 RNK 6'10" 29 year old Anthony Davis (40 G 35 Min 24 Pts 54 FG% 10 Reb 3 Ast)
#58 PF #279 RNK 6'6" 26 year old Stanley Johnson (48 G 23 Min 7 Pts 47 FG% 3 Reb 2 Ast)
#71 PF #359 RNK 6'9" 25 year old Wenyen Gabriel (26 G 14 Min 6 Pts 49 FG% 4 Reb 1 Ast)
ROOKIE PF 6'8" 24 year old Fabian White Jr.

#41 C #182 RNK 6'11" 27 year old Damian Jones (56 G 18 Min 8 Pts 66 FG% 5 Reb 1 Ast)
#53 C #247 RNK 6'10" 25 year old Thomas Bryant (27 G 17 Min 8 Pts 52 FG% 4 Reb 1 Ast)
#104 C 7'1" 24 year old Jay Huff

Last edited by JUST-MING on Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:05 am; edited 2 times in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:37 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
cital wrote:

I do believe a trade is coming prior to the start of camp, and hopefully the roster becomes more balanced, weather that’s with Kyrie or Hield/Turner, or other players from Utah, etc.

More balanced?

#18 PG 6'3" 34 year old Russell Westbrook
DNP PG 6'2" 27 year old Kendrick Nunn
ROOKIE PG 6'3" 22 year old Scotty Pippen Jr. (TW)
ROOKIE PG 6'5" 25 year old Javante McCoy

#44 SG 6'4" 22 year old Talen Horton-Tucker
#47 SG 6'4" 24 year old Lonnie Walker
#53 SG 6'5" 25 year old Austin Reaves
ROOKIE SG 6'6" 19 year old Max Christie

#1 SF 6'9" 38 year old Lebron James
#73 SF 6'6" 23 year old Troy Brown Jr.
#80 SF 6'6" 30 year old Juan Toscano-Anderson
ROOKIE SF 6'9" 23 year old Cole Swider (TW)

#4 PF 6'10" 29 year old Anthony Davis
#58 PF 6'6" 26 year old Stanley Johnson
#71 PF 6'9" 25 year old Wenyen Gabriel
ROOKIE PF 6'8" 24 year old Fabian White Jr.

#41 C 6'11" 27 year old Damian Jones
#53 C 6'10" 25 year old Thomas Bryant
#104 C 7'1" 24 year old Jay Huff

In red are training camp invites.

The imbalance begins with #0. I can’t believe this team will keep him on the squad. He may be there for the beginning of the season because the price to dump him is too high, but I don’t expect him to finish out the year as a Laker.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 166, 167, 168 ... 2651, 2652, 2653  Next
Page 167 of 2653
Jump to: