NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2548, 2549, 2550 ... 2565, 2566, 2567  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:50 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
if LeBron wants to win he should take a pay cut

He's not that guy anymore, he doesn't provide enough excess value to be a real contender.

Take a page out of 2012 Duncan's book (or whenever he signed that cheaper deal)

Kobe said Athletes should never take anything less their value. I agree.

why take paycut when owners or even the league is making billions based on your name.

will you take a paycut in ur next job thats offered to you? its just silly to expect somebody else to take paycut.

Because the salary cap also exists to maintain competitive balance... and the mechanism by which superstars like Kobe and LeBron won so much is by being way more valuable than the artificial limit imposed on the salary cap. LeBron is still good, maybe even $50M good, but he's not $70M good and that lack of excess value makes winning that much harder.

If Tim Duncan took market value in 2012 he would not have won in 2014 (and had a chance in 2013, 2016, or 2017 for that matter)

1 guy brain washed by pop. Kobe, Bron, Luka all athletes need to get paid their value.

Take less so the old bastards can make $$$.

I don't think Tim Duncan was brain washed. He is simply not that greedy or driven purely by ego. There are people out there that feel like they have enough money or can sacrifice for a greater goal you know.

so getting paid whats your market value is greedy?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:27 am    Post subject:

I hope the Lakers try hard to make a run at Brook Lopez in the summer, we know there is gonna be teams trying to pry him away from Milwaukee, we need that bulky strong C who can D up on guys like Jokic and other physical bigs
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:39 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
I hope the Lakers try hard to make a run at Brook Lopez in the summer, we know there is gonna be teams trying to pry him away from Milwaukee, we need that bulky strong C who can D up on guys like Jokic and other physical bigs

with what?
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

he's not a free agent til next year
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:41 am    Post subject:

Do we give this roster another full training camp?
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
tox wrote:
tox wrote:

He's not that guy anymore, he doesn't provide enough excess value to be a real contender.

How could you logically, realistically, honestly, say that? That Lebron doesn’t provide enough to be a real contender? The way it looks to me the team would have been a real contender if they had just started Rui/AR/Dlo for the first 40 games with Lebron on the team as is. Then consider had they kept Schroeder (14.5ppg/6apg/38%3pt), or had Vincent provide what was expected, Vando not missed most of the season, even Wood being available now, it does look like the Lakers could be a contender with Lebron.

I thought the boo birds thinking it should be blown up because there was no chance of winning had gone extinct. Smgdh

Almost every year the NBA champion is one of the frontrunners. The 2022 Warriors are one of the exceptions. The Lakers were a contender and had a shot much like the 2022 Warriors if they had some better health and better coaching. Do I think they were the favorites to even win the west over Denver? Probably not?

If you look ahead to next year, the Lakers will hit the second apron just keeping this roster IIUC. This roster has not shown dominance like regular season Celtics or postseason Nuggets (last year). Meanwhile Lebron & AD get another year older next year... and we might have a worse roster to boot if we can't keep Russell, Prince, Dinwiddie... maybe even Christie?

All true but the contention is if it is Lebron’s impact that causes the lack of being a front runner. It’s not. Poor coaching and inefficient roster construction is the cause. With the way LBJ/AD are playing it looks like if the coach had just started Dlo/AR/Rui all season it would have made the Lakers #1 in the west.

Counting Clev as top 4 (just fell to 5th by a half game) in the East, the last 30 games had the Lakers playing half their games against top 4 seeds from both conferences. That is a more difficult schedule than the regular season. The Lakers have won 70% of the last 30 games. The following can be considered a stretch but also reasonable as well; the winning percentage would put the Lakers at 55 wins leading the West and 2nd best record in the league.

All that to say, it can be reasonably conceived that LBJ as a player on the Lakers should result in the Lakers being a front runner. Then, if you add in roster construction of keeping Schroeder and adding a big back up C, the team should be even better, perhaps amassing the best record in the NBA this season.

The bottom line is that LBJ is performing in a way that could result in the Lakers being a front runner, there are other factors that make that not the case so it’s not on him that the Lakers are 9th.

Not buying that. Prime Lebron has this team well above 50 wins.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:11 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

why take paycut when owners or even the league is making billions based on your name.

will you take a paycut in ur next job thats offered to you? its just silly to expect somebody else to take paycut.

Because the salary cap also exists to maintain competitive balance... and the mechanism by which superstars like Kobe and LeBron won so much is by being way more valuable than the artificial limit imposed on the salary cap. LeBron is still good, maybe even $50M good, but he's not $70M good and that lack of excess value makes winning that much harder.

If Tim Duncan took market value in 2012 he would not have won in 2014 (and had a chance in 2013, 2016, or 2017 for that matter)

1 guy brain washed by pop. Kobe, Bron, Luka all athletes need to get paid their value.

I don't think Tim Duncan was brain washed. He is simply not that greedy or driven purely by ego. There are people out there that feel like they have enough money or can sacrifice for a greater goal you know.

In LeBron case, what's the difference betwen 530Mill in career earnings compared to only 485Mill in career earnings? Would it really change his life in any tangible way? Not accounting for his net worth is double his career earnings.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:18 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

He has visibly lost mobility this year and is very close to entering his washed phase.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:24 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
tox wrote:

How would Lebron taking 20 million or 30 million help the Lakers add? They wouldn't gain significant cap space, just help ownership save tax money

Second apron. You're not gonna hard cap yourself to pay $6M to Max Christie a year, but what if then next year he becomes a viable 3&D guy?

Ducking the second apron is the most paycut i see him taking.

I honestly think Lebron is past prioritizing a fifth ring. There’s no team he can slot into without simply entering free agency and playing for the MLE at most. But a move like that would reek of ring chasing and he’d get as much credit for that title as KD does for his warriors rings, if not less, since it’s unlikely he’d be the MVP.

There’s no more legacy boxes to check for Lebron. He probably knows he can’t win a ring as the best player anymore. He has the scoring record. Maxing out his remaining paychecks and sharing the court with Bronny are all that matters at this point. I think he reups with the Lakers and they draft Bronny.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
Do we give this roster another full training camp?

I think minimally you give AD/Rui/LBJ/AR/Dlo another full training camp since they have a winning percentage of .700 as starters against stiff competition over the last 30 games. It comes out to 57 wins for a season.

Keep Vando and MaxC on the roster plus Dinwidde and Wood as deep reserves along with Hayes and Prince all @ vet min except for Vando.

For a committed run at a ship tho it may be necesssry to trade for a true 3&D backcourt upgrade with a big body C that can rebound and play D. Vincent may turn out to be that backcourt player based on his post season performance this year but I don’t know how to get a C without Vincent’s salary unless the Lakers go bargain hunting again for vet mins to fill the back up C role. It depends on how effective Vincent is this post season. I’d take Caruso/Drummond for Vincent/JHS/MaxLewis + pics with the rest of the squad and be comfortable at a ship run.

AD/Drum/Hayes
Rui/Wood
LBJ/Vando/Prince
AR/Dinwiddie/CamReddish
Dlo/Caruso/MaxChris
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
tox wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
tox wrote:

How would Lebron taking 20 million or 30 million help the Lakers add? They wouldn't gain significant cap space, just help ownership save tax money

Second apron. You're not gonna hard cap yourself to pay $6M to Max Christie a year, but what if then next year he becomes a viable 3&D guy?

I honestly think Lebron is past prioritizing a fifth ring. There’s no team he can slot into without simply entering free agency and playing for the MLE at most. But a move like that would reek of ring chasing and he’d get as much credit for that title as KD does for his warriors rings, if not less, since it’s unlikely he’d be the MVP.

There’s no more legacy boxes to check for Lebron. He probably knows he can’t win a ring as the best player anymore. He has the scoring record. Maxing out his remaining paychecks and sharing the court with Bronny are all that matters at this point. I think he reups with the Lakers and they draft Bronny.

Who knows, you could be right but I think you’re wrong. I think LBJ can win a ring as the best player on a team and I think he believes it too. I also think he wants another championship and isn’t ok with just coasting out with the accomplishments already obtained checking legacy boxes without another title. I do agree that playing with his son is high on his list and that ring chasing with another team is low on it and would be diminished in value.

LBJ is producing now about what he’s always produced when the ships were won. It looks more like to me that coaching and roster construction is what’s limiting legitimate ship consideration.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:58 am    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

When you are worth 1.2 billion... YES
Japago
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject:

This team clearly needs one more piece. Against the elites, they fall short. They're good, not great.

Like I've been saying, the biggest problem the Lakers have is that they can't play BOTH offense and defense on a consistent basis. They have one-way players, and they have to pick between offense or defense.

Mikal Bridges should be the target. He can be a 3rd option while actually playing defense. I'd still be willing to give up AR for him despite AR's improved play. D'Lo/AR just isn't going to be enough defensively. I think you can do something with AD/LeBron/D'Lo/Bridges.

The Lakers need players who can hold up in their match-ups while having enough offense out there. They just can't have that balance right when most of the players on this team play one side of the court.

I'm not expecting Vando to make that big of a difference, TBH. What he brings on defense will be negated by his lack of offense. He's always been a situational role player for a reason.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

In LeBron case, what's the difference betwen 530Mill in career earnings compared to only 485Mill in career earnings? Would it really change his life in any tangible way? Not accounting for his net worth is double his career earnings.

cant tell another grown men whats enough earning for him
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:42 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

easy to comment on others money and whats enough for them lol
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:26 pm    Post subject:

If you are a Lakers fan. You want to build the best team possible. And if Bron takes less $. That's more money available to build a contender.

On the other hand, I always side with workers. Nobody watches Lakers games to see Jeanie Buss. Nobody buys Jeanie Buss jerseys and merchandise.
If there are seats available, in any gym NBA stars are playing in. Heck It could be outdoor courts in the middle of nowhere. The fans will come.

So I can't be mad at Bron or any player getting their $. In a system (salary cap) that limits the pay (value) they bring.
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:55 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
If you are a Lakers fan. You want to build the best team possible. And if Bron takes less $. That's more money available to build a contender.

On the other hand, I always side with workers. Nobody watches Lakers games to see Jeanie Buss. Nobody buys Jeanie Buss jerseys and merchandise.
If there are seats available, in any gym NBA stars are playing in. Heck It could be outdoor courts in the middle of nowhere. The fans will come.

So I can't be mad at Bron or any player getting their $. In a system (salary cap) that limits the pay (value) they bring.

But as long as the GM is reasonably working within the cap rules, there isn't a significant worker vs. owner issue for fans to be concerned about.

It doesn't matter to me whether or not Lebron gets $50m or $30m (from a voluntary cut) if that $20m in "savings" somehow gets distributed into the rest of the roster (and yes, Bird rights as well as the soft/hard cap and repeater tax rules, etc. factor in).

So for me, fine tuning the make up of the team towards winning #18 is more important than rooting for a player to maximize his pocket book.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:10 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
tox wrote:
CamReddish wrote:
tox wrote:

Who knows, you could be right but I think you’re wrong. I think LBJ can win a ring as the best player on a team and I think he believes it too. I also think he wants another championship and isn’t ok with just coasting out with the accomplishments already obtained checking legacy boxes without another title. I do agree that playing with his son is high on his list and that ring chasing with another team is low on it and would be diminished in value.

LBJ is producing now about what he’s always produced when the ships were won. It looks more like to me that coaching and roster construction is what’s limiting legitimate ship consideration.

What does that team look like? I’m enjoying this team, but short of an injury to Jokic/Murray and Celtics losing Tatum, i don’t see how this team makes it to the Finals and wins. Trae Young or Mitchell is not making this a contender, especially considering what we’d have to send out and then have to patchwork a whole new team of guys that could either shoot or send but not both, and a team with Lebron/AD/turnstile PG needs both. Not to mention Lebron just had an amazingly lucky season healthwise. The writing is on the wall.

That said, Jeanie knows she can’t replace Lebron’s box office/relevance and certainly doesn’t have the imagination to try. Ditto Pelinka. Nobody is paying Lebron more than we are.

In a side note, that is some amazing foresight by New Orleans to have the option to push the 24 pick to the 25 pick. Yeesh.
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

Yeah, it's pretty easy to say he shouldn't care about how much $$$$ he makes since he's worth so much already but these guys have ego's bigger then anything anyone on this board can ever imagine having (Not to mention he started being touted as a future GOAT already while a Younger Teenager) and it's kind of funny seeing random guys on a message board saying how much possibly the greatest basketball player ever is worth.

Duncan is an extreme outlier athlete to say the least and not remotely an example you can expect any other star to resemble for the good and bad imo. I agree that i'd love to see Bron take significantly less and even let him walk if he wants anywhere close to max at his age but it's insane imo to try and put myself in his shoes like I have any real idea what it's like. Someone like Bron is also fully aware how much $$$$ his presence alone is helping line the Owner's pockets as well which I personally couldn't care less about as a fan but it's probably a lilllll different for someone like him.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:19 pm    Post subject:

The Lakers record has been the 2nd best in the league since Feb 1st. So there's that too.

We're playing at a high level now. The only reason our record is what it is is our coach losing his mind post in season tournament to mid january.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Absolutely nobody in the Lakers organization has the balls to even utter the word paycut.

They will beg him to sign and will agree happily on his $$$ and on his demands
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

You call Duncan brainwashed then get mad when I call Lebron egotistical and greedy. Par for the course!
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:

Lebron worth more than the owner lol. It's all relative.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 5:11 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
defense wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:
tox wrote:

You call Duncan brainwashed then get mad when I call Lebron egotistical and greedy. Par for the course!

which guy other then duncan has taken a paycut? from max guy to mle type?

tell me. i am all ears and no its not david west
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:38 pm    Post subject:

Can't wait to trade all this garbage for trae young.

Before you. Say Trae young doesn't play defense neither does Reaves, dlo or trash jhs
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2548, 2549, 2550 ... 2565, 2566, 2567  Next
Page 2549 of 2567
Jump to: