NEW GENERAL FREE AGENCY/TRADE THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2587, 2588, 2589 ... 2628, 2629, 2630  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:20 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Jerry traded Vlade for Kobe and the rest was history. We need Pelinka to pull a similar move with AD if it's possible. We need to cash in AD for a young prospect and rebuild.

All these teams with young superstars aren't going away any time soon. We need to take this opportunity to start rebuilding.

AD for paolo . Bron for kuminga/gp2/ klay and a pick.
Add some pieces the next couple years.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:51 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:
Jerry traded Vlade for Kobe and the rest was history. We need Pelinka to pull a similar move with AD if it's possible. We need to cash in AD for a young prospect and rebuild.

All these teams with young superstars aren't going away any time soon. We need to take this opportunity to start rebuilding.

I would trade anyone we have for Banchero but I don't think the magic do it. why take AD at this stage (as amazing as he is) for a player that can take over a game in the playoffs at his age. Banchero and Edwards are the two stars to take over the NBA. I think they are in a class of their own then you have guys right behind them like SGA. Wemby might be in that first class too. he's an absolute freak. Anyone can get injured at any time but I just can't see Wemby holding up. If he does, he's in that upper class too, no question.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:13 am    Post subject:

27 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I would trade anyone we have for Banchero but I don't think the magic do it. why take AD at this stage (as amazing as he is) for a player that can take over a game in the playoffs at his age. Banchero and Edwards are the two stars to take over the NBA. I think they are in a class of their own then you have guys right behind them like SGA. Wemby might be in that first class too. he's an absolute freak. Anyone can get injured at any time but I just can't see Wemby holding up. If he does, he's in that upper class too, no question.

I made the post because that’s what we do here. The reality is to build for longevity we need to start with quality drafts, luck and a coach with players who want to be coached. Brunson was 33 pick. Clearly he is him, but for me as a fan his greatest quality is how he galvanized that team. You see him controlling ish. Mavs lucked out but he needed his own team.

But I have a feeling we are trading our frps for a guy that may net us to the second round, assuming ad and bron recover from Olympic ball.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:17 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
27 wrote:
Halflife wrote:
lakersfever714 wrote:

I made the post because that’s what we do here. The reality is to build for longevity we need to start with quality drafts, luck and a coach with players who want to be coached. Brunson was 33 pick. Clearly he is him, but for me as a fan his greatest quality is how he galvanized that team. You see him controlling ish. Mavs lucked out but he needed his own team.

But I have a feeling we are trading our frps for a guy that may net us to the second round, assuming ad and bron recover from Olympic ball.

I agree with you. I dont see Lakers making any move that gets them to the promised land anytime soon. Id rather go into a rebuilt and try to find a Banchero or Edwards. Players like that are so rare but here are two of them, young and already taking over.

I'm hoping to find the right big man with that 17th pick but if they trade it, I hope its not for Trae Young. I like him a lot but, man, he isnt the guy for this team
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:27 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
miggz23 wrote:
Laker_Jocker wrote:
who wouldda thought having multiple tall guys on your team is a good idea for basketball

I think our size is pretty equal with Minny... It's just line-up personnel the difference...

DLO/AR just puts your team in such a defensive disadvantage each game. Not having a true big makes our front court thin.

Conley/Edwards is smaller than DLO/AR... But they are more athletic and quicker.

I feel like Ant has had bad games against us and that we play them pretty well, because AD actually has a fire lit under him every time he goes up against Gobert. But I agree with the comments above that we need to get more athletic and lengthier, particularly at the wing (although we had Christie for that but our clown of a coach wouldn't play him) and with an actual capable backup big. I mean, we had Rui guarding Jokic at times. Minnesota has a little bit more to throw at Jokic, wouldn't you say?

Well that was our recipe in 2020 also... Having multiple bigs to slow him down. But our front court defense was pretty stout with Bradley/Green/KCP/Caruso as a group. That's why I mentioned that this team don't really need a 3rd star to be contenders next year.

I think fully healthy Vando will help and moving Rui as a bench scorer will elevate our bench play. Christie taking a leap next year will benefit this team big.

But yes out backcourt needs to get more athletic and adding another starting big will do wonders with our line-up next season.
That was

Bradley was one of the players that opted out of participation in the bubble and didn’t return to the team once play resumed after the COVID stoppage. He didn’t play in the bubble games at all, reg season nor post.

Dismantling the ship team was bad but the Lakers had actually recovered from that with Schroeder as they were #1 in the west before injuries then added Drummond from the buyout market. It looked like they were on the way to defending the title having the Suns on the ropes before AD went down.

It was dismantling the dismantled team even further with the Westbrook deal that spiraled the team out of contention but they could have recovered from that too had they just kept the players they needed. Imagine a team now with those players and the current roster:

AD/Drummond
Rui
LBJ/Vando
AR/Caruso
Dlo/Schroeder
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:34 am    Post subject:

Vando's health is crucial.

Got to hope he stays healthy next year b/c our defense can't sustain without him. I really hope his offense can improve so he can get more time on the floor in crunch time
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 10:36 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
governator wrote:
Jonas Valenciunas, Isaiah brightskin Hartenstein, Myles Turner, how to get one of these guys? Even Drummond. How’s this salary math work? Has to S&T? Cost DLo or Max? VAS!!!

we had Drummond, Zubac, and Brook Lopez, the perfect centers for AD, and yet, the management pissed all them away and getting yearly rental on undersized bigs.

So what would it take to bring one
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject:

The Sixers will get LeBron, Dlo going to the Magic, Lakers going to the lottery. Lack of appreciation and recognition of a roster that was on the verge (1 or 2 support piece type role players and a decent coach away) of competing for a ship results in losing it, for nothing in return, without the ability to replace it.

AD leaves after his contract and the Lakers revert to something similar to the 4 years of embarrassing losses like the years when Randle/Dlo/Ingram/Ball were drafted 7th/2nd/2nd/2nd. It’s a nightmare vision I’m having that I’m hoping doesn’t come true.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
The Sixers will get LeBron, Dlo going to the Magic, Lakers going to the lottery. Lack of appreciation and recognition of a roster that was on the verge (1 or 2 support piece type role players and a decent coach away) of competing for a ship results in losing it, for nothing in return, without the ability to replace it.

AD leaves after his contract and the Lakers revert to something similar to the 4 years of embarrassing losses like the years when Randle/Dlo/Ingram/Ball were drafted 7th/2nd/2nd/2nd. It’s a nightmare vision I’m having that I’m hoping doesn’t come true.

with today's CBA, no one can rebuild on the fly anymore. you have to hit rock bottom, collecting assets before the next rise. i'd much rather go that route than just putting bandaid on a flawed roster every single off season and wish a 40 year old can carry you to a title.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:40 am    Post subject:

Woods opt in… at the very least if need to, we can move Rui and Woods fill in that role
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:48 am    Post subject:

We are mediocre . The worst place to be. Be grateful for bubble chip. We have to be honest with what we have. It’s not near what we are seeing play out in the 2nd round. I have a feeling mavs and okc may make us look even more inferior.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:57 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
governator wrote:
Jonas Valenciunas, Isaiah brightskin Hartenstein, Myles Turner, how to get one of these guys? Even Drummond. How’s this salary math work? Has to S&T? Cost DLo or Max? VAS!!!

we had Drummond, Zubac, and Brook Lopez, the perfect centers for AD, and yet, the management pissed all them away and getting yearly rental on undersized bigs.

Drummond is an unrestricted free agent. He just made the league minimum, so if he would do that again, sure, he's a fit. I just question whether or not he would accept that because his market value may be higher this time. But we'll see.

Zubac is an $11.4MM expiring in '24-25. In theory, you could trade for him, but I highly doubt that the Clippers would trade him back to us.

Lopez is probably more within the realm of possibility because he's a $23MM expiring in '24-25, and they need to get under the 2nd apron. I'd still say it's more likely than not that they keep him, but I could at least see them moving him. You'd need to move at least $20MM in salary to make that work.

J-Val is also an unrestricted free agent, coming off a contract that paid him an average annual value of about $15.1MM. So it's tough to see him as a fit, given that the most we could offer him, I believe, is our MLE, and he can probably get more. In theory, a sign-and-trade is available for him or any other player that's an unrestricted free agent, however keep in mind that any sign-and-trade hard caps you, and the hard cap number is well below the 2nd apron, so we almost certainly can't afford to hard cap ourselves. This is also a factor if we were to sign-and-trade D'lo to another team: it would hard cap them, although there might be some teams that are just fine with that.

Hartenstein is an unrestricted free agent, coming off a 2 year, $18MM deal. His play has been outstanding, he's only 26, and if he would come on the full MLE, I'd certainly offer that to him. But his market could very well be higher than that. I'd also expect the Knicks to try to retain him, which means that Mitchell Robinson could be on the trade block. So he could be one to consider. His salary actually decreases over the next 2 seasons: $14.3MM next season and just under $13MM in '25-26.

Finally, the Myles Turner ship has long sailed, Indiana is trying to add pieces to contend, and Herb Simon and Kevin Pritchard were never going to trade him to us anyway, because they would rather murder their own children over potentially helping the Lakers in a trade!
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

We are mediocre . The worst place to be. Be grateful for bubble chip. We have to be honest with what we have. It’s not near what we are seeing play out in the 2nd round. I have a feeling mavs and okc may make us look even more inferior.

You could be right, we know that. But based on how the team won last year after the trades and how they won this year after the coaching snafu changed to start the best 5 you could be wrong. A tour in the lottery is inevitable for every NBA team, a chance at a ship is not.

If there is a chance at a ship you go for it. Backcourt defense plus a rebounding big and a coaching upgrade looks like it may give the Lakers a fighting chance, you don’t pass on that rare experience of a ship just to get to the lottery sooner.

An extra year or two in the lottery is worth the risk of a ship since it’s common to be in the lottery anyway but rare to have a chance at a ship. Even going into the lottery now doesn’t necessarily get a better chance at a ship in the future than what the Lakers have at a ship now even tho it’s a long shot. Since LBJ can’t be replaced if he walks due to cap, and looking at the post Shaq, post Kobe (RIP Mamba, miss ya brother) era, it looks like lottery territory to me and who knows how long the Lakers would be there.

Go for the ship man. I know winning a playoff series is different altogether but the Lakers have beaten all of the remaining teams (Den/Minn/OKC/Dal, Foston/NYK/Clev/Ind) once the rotation was fixed and did it with the flawed coach and flawed roster. It’s not inconceivable that fixing those problems could possibly allow the Lakers to legitimately compete for a championship.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Tue May 07, 2024 12:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:14 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

I think the front office knows this but are hell bent on avoiding a rebuild as long as possible. We are no longer championship contenders, but Jeanie wants to ride Lebron and ADs popularity until they’re gone.

We aren’t winning a title, but at least casual fans will be following us as long as we got household names on the roster.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:20 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
governator wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
governator wrote:

Drummond is an unrestricted free agent. He just made the league minimum, so if he would do that again, sure, he's a fit. I just question whether or not he would accept that because his market value may be higher this time. But we'll see.

Zubac is an $11.4MM expiring in '24-25. In theory, you could trade for him, but I highly doubt that the Clippers would trade him back to us.

Lopez is probably more within the realm of possibility because he's a $23MM expiring in '24-25, and they need to get under the 2nd apron. I'd still say it's more likely than not that they keep him, but I could at least see them moving him. You'd need to move at least $20MM in salary to make that work.

J-Val is also an unrestricted free agent, coming off a contract that paid him an average annual value of about $15.1MM. So it's tough to see him as a fit, given that the most we could offer him, I believe, is our MLE, and he can probably get more. In theory, a sign-and-trade is available for him or any other player that's an unrestricted free agent, however keep in mind that any sign-and-trade hard caps you, and the hard cap number is well below the 2nd apron, so we almost certainly can't afford to hard cap ourselves. This is also a factor if we were to sign-and-trade D'lo to another team: it would hard cap them, although there might be some teams that are just fine with that.

Hartenstein is an unrestricted free agent, coming off a 2 year, $18MM deal. His play has been outstanding, he's only 26, and if he would come on the full MLE, I'd certainly offer that to him. But his market could very well be higher than that. I'd also expect the Knicks to try to retain him, which means that Mitchell Robinson could be on the trade block. So he could be one to consider. His salary actually decreases over the next 2 seasons: $14.3MM next season and just under $13MM in '25-26.

Finally, the Myles Turner ship has long sailed, Indiana is trying to add pieces to contend, and Herb Simon and Kevin Pritchard were never going to trade him to us anyway, because they would rather murder their own children over potentially helping the Lakers in a trade!

This is excellent breakdown, woods has opted in, if Hayes also opts in, I wouldn’t mind trading one of them (Hayes) along with a salary/2nd rd pick to upgrade
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Is there actual talk of LeBron getting traded?
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
REPORT: Brandon Ingram and coach Willie Green had a “locker room exchange” during Game 2 of their series… Ingram wanted help from his coach to get him the ball more, per @ShamsCharania.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:25 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
governator wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
governator wrote:

Most bigs LG would want is our of price range. We only have the tax payer MLE as is.

Capela might be another name on the move.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject:

We were a play-in team bounced in the 1st round with 2 healthy but aging stars. You willing to bank on both Lebron and AD having healthy seasons again? This is what the team looked like when it caught lightning in a bottle. It wasn't pretty. This roster has run its course, but I don't think it's going to break apart yet. It's just going to slowly bleed out. I like your scenario because it's more like ripping off the bandaid.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Pincus is floating a 4-team trade idea where the Heat get Donovan Mitchell and Butler gets traded (to the Sixers). I'll put the link below, but I find this interesting because I think the Lakers can absolutely beat this offer. He has Cleveland taking back Herro and getting 3 FRP, including #15 this year. Well, we can offer #17 this year and 2 more FRP, and Reaves/Rui/filler is better than Herro. Reaves might be better than Herro by himself. We could also offer JHS, who was a recent FRP, of course.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10120082-a-4-team-trade-to-convince-pat-riley-to-trade-jimmy-butler
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Brawn13 wrote:
Halflife wrote:

I think the front office knows this but are hell bent on avoiding a rebuild as long as possible. We are no longer championship contenders, but Jeanie wants to ride Lebron and ADs popularity until they’re gone.

We aren’t winning a title, but at least casual fans will be following us as long as we got household names on the roster.

With a commitment to a ship and better performances from Owner/GM/Coach it looks like THIS core team could compete for a ship. Budenholzer with Rondo assistant, Drummond for vet min, Caruso for Vincent+pics, maybe even Murray for AR/JHS+pics puts THIS team on paper in ship category.

The Knicks didn’t look like a ship team - they added Divencino/OG
The Pacers added Siakim, Miami added Rozier, Philly added Oubre for vet min and Heild, Mavs added two starters in Washinton/Gafford. They aren’t ship favorites but if the Lakers add the right pieces like those teams did to Dlo/AR/LBJ/Rui/AD they can win. Towns seemed like he was locked in as a center all his life but their FO realized he could beast if a real center was added and got Gobert. The Lakers can’t get a Gobert at the moment but they can get a Drummond to finally give AD what he wants. The twin tower could be what puts us over the edge.

Talking about all this however makes me realize that we’re probably screwed for the next 10 years because I don’t see the FO capable of making those type moves, maybe they are unable or perhaps unwilling, either way I see the team lottery bound for the foreseeable future

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Tue May 07, 2024 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:36 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Pincus is floating a 4-team trade idea where the Heat get Donovan Mitchell and Butler gets traded (to the Sixers). I'll put the link below, but I find this interesting because I think the Lakers can absolutely beat this offer. He has Cleveland taking back Herro and getting 3 FRP, including #15 this year. Well, we can offer #17 this year and 2 more FRP, and Reaves/Rui/filler is better than Herro. Reaves might be better than Herro by himself. We could also offer JHS, who was a recent FRP, of course.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10120082-a-4-team-trade-to-convince-pat-riley-to-trade-jimmy-butler

Gabe-Spyda-Vando-Bron-AD

Max-Cam-Prince-Woods-Hayes

Mins/rookies

Like this?
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:43 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Gabe-Spyda-Vando-Bron-AD

Mins/rookies

Like this?

That may not be far off, and we still may be able to retain D'lo while moving Gabe. I could even see Christie eventually starting over Vando if he is the player that I think he is. Bottom line, if you can get Spida, you do it, as his salary is such next year that you don't have to gut our depth to acquire him.

How many teams are going to be willing to offer at least 2 good players and at least FOUR 1st's for an expiring player who is unlikely to re-sign in most places? We can offer 2 good players and 3 FRP so, as I've said all along, I believe we will be in the mix if he's made available. And I think that he will be.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Gabe-Spyda-Vando-Bron-AD

Mins/rookies

Like this?

thats pretty week sauce bench
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Gabe-Spyda-Vando-Bron-AD

Mins/rookies

Like this?

Vincent/Vando as a starters with MaxC/Cam/Prince/Wood/Hayes…all the underachievers from this season…as depth? We have hopes for Vando but listing him as a starter coming off a missed season when he has yet to show he can even be playable in the post season is a flawed plan. Vincent was so bad that he has to prove his Miami playoff success wasn’t a fluke. A tank commander would love this. You would have trouble getting a decent starting 5 of NBA players out of that if zero injuries but can’t get a decent 8 man playoff rotation even if all are healthy, let alone the 10 needed for regular season.

Also how you bringing Prince back? We know Rob is famous for letting players go for vet min after they played for more the prev season with the Lakers when the Lakers need them.

Dlo/AR/LBJ/Rui/AD won as starters at a rate that would have translated to #1 in the west this year. Give them an upgrade in backcourt defense and an upgrade in frontcourt rebounding, switch out Vincent for a useful player and a competent coach to build a team. It’s past time to move from this mercenary approach, it hasn’t worked whereas the core 5 has shown to be promising. Address the deficiencies on the roster and build on demonstrated positive production to construct a team instead of continually making the mistake of just collecting different players.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2587, 2588, 2589 ... 2628, 2629, 2630  Next
Page 2588 of 2630
Jump to: