*** 2022-2023 NBA Season Discussion thread ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 282, 283, 284  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
Can't believe people doubted the play ins. They were a lock. Totally different team since the trade deadline. More depth, more defensive balance with Vandy, better shooting. No more bad chemistry with WB. etc.

Now it's about seeding. I like the 6 vs 3 match up A LOT better (assuming Kings stay at 3). I don't like the match up with the Grizz.

The big question now is AD's ankle/stress injury, and as well Lebron's. You have a few games left, play ins are all but official. Do you go all out to make a run for 6th seed (that has a low chance) that gives you the best shot at winning the 1st round? Or do you go with load management and just clinch play ins.

Not sure.

Gotta at least get the 8. Dropping to 9/10 lowers your odds of getting into the playoffs significantly.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject:

I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. Yesterday the Clippers were trailing the Grizzlies 55 to 51 at the half. They decided to not play KL in the second half because they have a game tonight. That game was winnable and they just threw it away. If they lose tonight the Lakers will catch them in the Loss column.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
Can't believe people doubted the play ins. They were a lock. Totally different team since the trade deadline. More depth, more defensive balance with Vandy, better shooting. No more bad chemistry with WB. etc.

Now it's about seeding. I like the 6 vs 3 match up A LOT better (assuming Kings stay at 3). I don't like the match up with the Grizz.

The big question now is AD's ankle/stress injury, and as well Lebron's. You have a few games left, play ins are all but official. Do you go all out to make a run for 6th seed (that has a low chance) that gives you the best shot at winning the 1st round? Or do you go with load management and just clinch play ins.

Not sure.

Gotta at least get the 8. Dropping to 9/10 lowers your odds of getting into the playoffs significantly.

My eyes are set on #5. If we win out, GS has to lose 1 (we own tiebreaker) or Clippers have to lose 2 (including the game against us).
kwyitkilla
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 10:50 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Not sure.

My eyes are set on #5. If we win out, GS has to lose 1 (we own tiebreaker) or Clippers have to lose 2 (including the game against us).

Wouldnt you rather avoid KD in the first round?
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
I don't think I've ever seen anything like this. Yesterday the Clippers were trailing the Grizzlies 55 to 51 at the half. They decided to not play KL in the second half because they have a game tonight. That game was winnable and they just threw it away. If they lose tonight the Lakers will catch them in the Loss column.

It's why no one respects the Clippers. Their stars can't lead by example, so why should their supporting cast be obligated to show up? Zu needs to get his ass out of there and play for a serious squad.

Resting halves and throwing games under the guise of "load management" is a new one to me. Glad the new CBA is adding a 65 game requirement for awards and accolades.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject:

kwyitkilla wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

Not sure.

Wouldnt you rather avoid KD in the first round?

No. I'm not scared by KD or the Suns. If we are who I think we are, going through PHX/DEN/MEM en route to the Finals is no problem.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

Not sure.

Really, are you sure? Before this last win, It was posible we miss even the play ins. If we got 6th, we got a week of rest. What better load management than that? And you forget that there is a team fighting for their lives to get to the play ins that will be a tough cookie in one game. That team is the Mavericks and you know our experience with them this year.

I DON'T WANT ANY PART OF THAT IN A PLAYING SCENARIO!!
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject:

Really want that 6 seed over GS just to return the favor for the blatant bull (bleep) dirty play of trying to injure DLO to knock the Lakers down.

We own their asses at full strength and they know it.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject:

Quote:
How does the NBA play-in tournament work?

There will be six total games involving eight teams as part of the play-in tournament, split up between the two conferences.

The teams that finish Nos. 1-6 in each conference will be guaranteed playoff spots, while team Nos. 7-10 in the standings will enter the play-in. Any team that finishes worse than No. 10 will be in the lottery.

Here's how the games will work:

Game 1: The No. 7 team in the standings will host the No. 8 team, with the winner earning the No. 7 seed in the playoffs. The losing team gets another chance in Game 3.

Game 2: The No. 9 team will host the No. 10 team, with the winner moving on to Game 3. The loser is eliminated and enters the NBA draft lottery.

Game 3: The loser of the No. 7 vs. No. 8 matchup will host the winner of the No. 9 vs. No. 10 matchup, with the victor grabbing the No. 8 seed in the postseason. The loser of Game 3 also enters the lottery.

This means that the teams with the seventh-highest and eighth-highest winning percentages will have two opportunities to win one game to earn a playoff spot, while the teams with the ninth-highest and 10th-highest winning percentages need to win two straight games to advance.

Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:34 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
ocho wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike Malone being a prick when asked why he refuses to play Thomas Bryant more and why he's out of rhythm
"No idea. Can't answer it. Maybe ask him that."
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1641920409200123905

What a... person.

I’m not sure what Malone is supposed to say. The truth of the matter is Thomas Bryant isn’t very good. He can get rolling offensively sometimes but he’s atrocious on D and most nights he’s going to be bad on both ends.

Thomas Bryant was solid for the Wizards before his injury and then took a year to get back to where he was coming off a terrible injury.

Came to us and was finally finding a rhythm, then asked for a trade so he could get more minutes, and gets a coach that refuses to play him and he can never catch a rhythm with.

Maybe Malone is the one that sucks. Thomas Bryant isn't great defensively, but to act like he's some kind of scrub is way WAY off-base. Thomas Bryant is a talented center that can hit threes, rebound and finish. He'd be a solid backup for Jokic, but Malone doesn't make him that.

Ultimately Malone hinders the team by not playing their 2nd best center behind their best center and it seems personal. No idea what Bryant did to upset Malone to this level of pettiness but it only hurts their team to not play some of your best players with the bench. But I guess as long as they are winning off Jokic's back he doesn't care.

Thomas Bryant is averaging 12 points and 7 rebounds while shooting 65% from the field and 44% from three. THAT is a VALUABLE backup center. The fact Mike Malone is giving him constant DNPs and then playing him 1 minute and then 0 minutes and then 2 minutes and then 4 minutes and then 0 minutes and then 10 minutes and then back to 0 minutes and then is smug and petty when asked why he refuses to play him and why he can't get a rhythm and blames Bryant for it. That's a bad coach. Bryant is one of their best backup 5 options but due to Malone's own personal reason or biases he refuses to play him.

Any other coach keeping a 12/7 65% Field goal 44% three point shooting backup center with DNPs rather than help their star center get some rest would get looked at sideways and rightfully called out. The fact Malone is so arrogant and cold about it says more about him than about Bryant. Jokic is out and Malone still refuses to play him. There's no excuse.

Well when the Nuggets lose again this year and he's in the unemployment line he won't be as smug as he is now. So there's that.

Maybe Bryant himself is to blame.

This past summer he could not get more than the minimum. The Wizards would not pay him even that to return to the team and stay with them when they wanted help next to Porzingis and Kuzma.

He came to the Lakers and he was in a unique scenario. He played with Bron, Bev, Russ, Denis, Reaves, and at times Nunn too. He essentially had 5 guys most times play making for him to score. He however was the league worst at allowing points and a high percentage at the rim. He has good rebounding rates but his defensive rebounding is marginal and worse than his offensive rebounding. He could not play with AD because he can’t anchor the paint and you can’t funnel anyone to him. Gabriel walked his ass down and took his role from him and minutes by simply out working him and defending better than him not because he’s bigger or more athletic but because he works and uses verticality. He complained and asked for a big role or be traded so like Pat Bev and Russ he was shipped the hell out. Bron at 38 defends the basket and out boards him let that sink in.

He went to Denver behind a mvp. The nuggets were using Deandre Jordan and Jeff Green as the backup 5, as well as some Gordon. They paid for him to come in and he has not played well. He’s been a walking traffic cone on defense. He’s not out there setting hard picks, contesting shots, moving the ball, or running the floor and rim running in altitude. He’s not playing his role because he expects to eat when in reality he’s a minimum player who needs to know his role. His role should be rebound, set picks, actually try to block shots. He should practice hard. He does none of that and the coach called him on his bs. He is a scrub a bonafide scrub on defense and if you play him in the playoffs he will be a coaches wet dream to exploit

He’s been in three locker rooms for his damn career and none had tried to retain him or rely on him. That’s on his ass not the coach. Malone had every right to basically say tell him get his (bleep) together if he wants to play. The Wizards told him the same thing when they wouldn’t offer him any deal to return. And the lakers told him the same thing when he made a play me more or trade me demand

Last edited by Kblo247! on Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:38 am; edited 2 times in total
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

Just keep winning. Everything else doesn't really matter.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 11:42 am    Post subject:

If PG is still out, the only team you want to dodge is the Suns.

Can we beat them? Maybe, but I sure don't want to find that out until the WCF if possible.
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:00 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:

Can we beat them? Maybe, but I sure don't want to find that out until the WCF if possible.

We can beat them. Would I bet on it? Probably not. But they're vulnerable.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:09 pm    Post subject:

levon wrote:
BILBJH wrote:

We can beat them. Would I bet on it? Probably not. But they're vulnerable.

I mean, yeah we can beat anybody when healthy, but the Suns are definitely a team we would want to avoid until the WCF. They are the only team I would be scared of playing in the first round. Everybody else I don’t care.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:

💯
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:32 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
MJST wrote:
ocho wrote:
MJST wrote:
Mike Malone being a prick when asked why he refuses to play Thomas Bryant more and why he's out of rhythm
"No idea. Can't answer it. Maybe ask him that."
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status/1641920409200123905

What a... person.

I’m not sure what Malone is supposed to say. The truth of the matter is Thomas Bryant isn’t very good. He can get rolling offensively sometimes but he’s atrocious on D and most nights he’s going to be bad on both ends.

Thomas Bryant was solid for the Wizards before his injury and then took a year to get back to where he was coming off a terrible injury.

Came to us and was finally finding a rhythm, then asked for a trade so he could get more minutes, and gets a coach that refuses to play him and he can never catch a rhythm with.

Maybe Malone is the one that sucks. Thomas Bryant isn't great defensively, but to act like he's some kind of scrub is way WAY off-base. Thomas Bryant is a talented center that can hit threes, rebound and finish. He'd be a solid backup for Jokic, but Malone doesn't make him that.

Ultimately Malone hinders the team by not playing their 2nd best center behind their best center and it seems personal. No idea what Bryant did to upset Malone to this level of pettiness but it only hurts their team to not play some of your best players with the bench. But I guess as long as they are winning off Jokic's back he doesn't care.

Thomas Bryant is averaging 12 points and 7 rebounds while shooting 65% from the field and 44% from three. THAT is a VALUABLE backup center. The fact Mike Malone is giving him constant DNPs and then playing him 1 minute and then 0 minutes and then 2 minutes and then 4 minutes and then 0 minutes and then 10 minutes and then back to 0 minutes and then is smug and petty when asked why he refuses to play him and why he can't get a rhythm and blames Bryant for it. That's a bad coach. Bryant is one of their best backup 5 options but due to Malone's own personal reason or biases he refuses to play him.

Any other coach keeping a 12/7 65% Field goal 44% three point shooting backup center with DNPs rather than help their star center get some rest would get looked at sideways and rightfully called out. The fact Malone is so arrogant and cold about it says more about him than about Bryant. Jokic is out and Malone still refuses to play him. There's no excuse.

Well when the Nuggets lose again this year and he's in the unemployment line he won't be as smug as he is now. So there's that.

What he was before injury is a bit immaterial. We are talking about now. I disagree he was getting into rhythm when he asked for a trade. He had a nice stretch when AD first went down and we were leaning on him for offense. After a quick burst of a stretch he went back to being pedestrian on O while remaining unplayable on D. Davis came back and he wasn’t of much use. His minutes cratered and he wanted out (it’s a contract year, after all).

Well, it has been the same story in Denver. They’re a team that already struggles defensively and Bryant isn’t going to help them there. Malone’s personal bias is that he has seen Bryant play and he doesn’t want to bleed more points every time he’s in. There’s a reason he was available at the min and even then has bounced around. Why do you think 2 playoff teams wanted out of the Bryant Business? It’s not because they’re smug.

A small stretch eh?

Okay

Thomas Bryant from December 6 - February 6 (33 Games)

13.1 PPG
7.4 RPG
0.5 BLK
64.5% Field Goal
45.7% Three Pointer
78.4% Free Throw
23 MPG

This was what Thomas Bryant was doing for the two months prior to Denver acquiring him.

His FIRST game in Denver.. Mike Malone played him 2 minutes.
The second game he played him 14 minutes and Bryant put up 10 points.

And then soon after Malone began screwing with his minutes. The first 10 Games as Nugget he played 12.5 MPG and averaged 5 points and 4 rebounds 50% from the field 66% from three but barely any offense going his way with the bench unit. Yet if he was playing 20 MPG like he was with us his averages would likely be pretty close to what they were with us.

But after that 10 game stretch of screwing with his minutes and playing him 12MPG Malone completely pulled the rug and pulled him from the rotation. Across the next 11 Games, Malone gave him 4 DNPs and cut his minutes to 8.4 a game. Playing him in spurts like 2 minutes then 14 minutes then 2 minutes. Then is smug when asked why he can't catch a rhythm.

This is a coaching problem. He seemed to have it out for Bryant from day one for whatever reason. He came off playing the best basketball of his career for 2 months off the bench to his first game as a nugget playing 2 minutes and then producing in the next game he got time and then having his minutes messed with after. Again, this seems like a Mile Malone problem.

I've seen Lakers fans scream for Darvin Ham's head for playing Hachimura 8 minutes and then giving him a DNP. But they look at Mike Malone doing it on a much bigger and worse scale and going "Eh maybe it's Bryant.." when Malone's been doing it since Game 1.

Again, it does nothing to help Jokic if you're never going to play the backup center that is one of the better backup ones in the league. WHen Jokic already carries the entire load. But again, when the Nuggets fail again this year and Malone is in the unemployment line, I gather he'll be less smug

Let's cut through all the stuff. Regardless of how some of you may feel about Thomas Bryant.. if Darvin Ham was giving him DNPs and playing Deandre Jordan over him ya'll would be screaming for Ham's firing.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:47 pm    Post subject:

I think your citation of box score stars while ignoring his terrible defense explains the confusion about why he’s not carving out a role in Denver and why LA was fine dumping him. i promise you these coaches are not purposefully suppressing a great player out of spite.
Lakersfan1211
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Bam Adebayo (hip) listed out Saturday.

Hopefully Miami can still beat Dallas.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
I think your citation of box score stars while ignoring his terrible defense explains the confusion about why he’s not carving out a role in Denver and why LA was fine dumping him. i promise you these coaches are not purposefully suppressing a great player out of spite.

It’s the Russell Westbrook effect.

Russell made bums like Thomas Bryant look good.
ksmgf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Dennis100mtrash wrote:
Vancouver Fan wrote:

💯

Part of me wants them to run the table but what if they are gassed after the regular season and wont play well in the playoffs?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:03 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

Lol. Incoming wall of sanctimonious text Ocho...brace yourself. I mean holy ish..all that over Thomas F'en Bryant.
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ocho wrote:

Lol. Incoming wall of sanctimonious text Ocho...brace yourself. I mean holy ish..all that over Thomas F'en Bryant.

Haha true dat
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:13 pm    Post subject:

What's the seeding scenario if Lakers, Clippers and Warriors all have 43-39 record? If we go 4-0, I'd look for 6th spot instead of 5th. Don't want to face Suns this early in playoffs. Then if 4-1 ensures 6th, I'd rest all the starters vs Jazz in the final game and go through Kings and Memphis in first two rounds. 😀
saetarubia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:19 pm    Post subject:

If we go 5-0 and Clippers lose to Pels (and Lakers), we'd have 44-38 record, Clippers would be 43-39. Then we need GSW to go 4-0 and take 5th spot. Just one loss for GSW would mean Lakers are 5th in this scenario and first round match up vs Suns. One positive would be whole media will predict Suns victory in first round and maybe Lakers can prove them wrong.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Hell of a game by Westbrook yesterday. 4 points and 5 turnovers.

Yeah, I remember when people were jumping up and down and saying "he's back!" and such, but they'll eventually learn that Russell Westbrook as a starter will give you 1 really good game out of about 6 or 7 to get you to forget all the other ones that lead up to it.

People get selective when they talk about Westbrook's impact. When he was here he was a problem, he wasn't caring, he wasn't making players better and he was a heavy turnover machine that wasn't worth the assists.

Coming off the bench he was considered solid but hurtful to the overall team and getting stats but not helping. Then he'll be the only reason certain players look good. Then he'll be the reason his team struggles. It goes every which way with how people wish to use Westbrook in their arguments.

The reality is, Westbrook is who he is right now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 282, 283, 284  Next
Page 230 of 284
Jump to: