Dodgers 2023 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 312, 313, 314  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject:

More Dodgers news:

1) CP3 went to driveline to work on his swing:

Quote:
.....he also flew to Seattle. There, at the Driveline Baseball facility, he worked with its staff and logged information that has since been passed along to some of the Dodgers’ hitting staff. He said benefitted from working with weighted bats centered around generating bat speed and from tracking biometric data about the efficiency of his swing.

“A lot of our guys have done that,” Taylor said Saturday. “Everybody to different amounts. I think just going there for a day and hearing what they have to say, some valuable information. If you’re not taking advantage of all the resources given to you, what are you really doing? … I think it would be very stubborn to not give it a shot.”

2) Muncy says his elbow feels healthy, feels strong, and feels back to normal (sounds like Bellinger). Hopefully the results are better than Bellinger. Bellinger made so many swing changes that he probably doesn't even know what his natural swing is anymore. Check out the interview with Alana Rizzo:

Video

Quote:
Dodgers' Max Muncy provides update on his injured elbow

"I feel healthy ... I've been swinging a lot recently and the elbow feels like it's finally moving the way it's supposed to move. That's something we couldn't get done all last year. It was very frustrating. We had to make some swing changes just to get my body to move the way it needed to move. It feels healthy right now. It feels strong, and right back where it needs to be. My swing has gotten back to being more simplified which is good for me."

- Max Muncy via MLB Network

Quote:
Muncy underwent two swing changes in 2022. The first was to adapt to his limited elbow mobility, and the second was to readjust so he could be in a more downhill position when attacking pitches in the batter's box.

The midseason alteration clearly granted him a resurgence, and now that his elbow mobility is back to normal, it seems he can head into the new year without any limitations or worries about making mechanical tweaks.

3) Dodgers Mailbag (from the Athletic)

Quote:
Who will be the next Julio Urías to debut for the Dodgers? — Mauricio J.

The Dodgers have expressed a great deal of enthusiasm about their incoming raft of pitching prospects. A pair of their right-handers cracked Keith Law’s recent top 100 list. Bobby Miller ranked No. 28 and Gavin Stone ranked No. 39. Two other righties, Michael Grove and Ryan Pepiot, debuted in Los Angeles last year, and figure to play a larger role in 2023. The list of non-roster invitees to camp also includes intriguing arms like righty Landon Knack and righty Nick Nastrini. There is a lot to like about the crop the Dodgers have assembled on the farm.

Here’s the thing.
Julio Urías is 26.

Which is the same age as Grove. Pepiot is 25 and so is Knack. Stone is 24. Miller will turn 24 in April. Nastrini, at 22, is the youngest of the bunch — he has also appeared in only six games above High-A baseball. None have done much of consequence in the majors. Urías has already returned from major shoulder surgery early in his career to become one of the best in the sport. He closed out the World Series in his age-23 season. He won 20 games in his age-24 season. He finished third in the National League Cy Young award voting in 2022, his age-25 season. He is a precocious, rare performer, especially for this era.

This is not to say that Miller or Stone or any of these fellows cannot have wonderful careers with the Dodgers. All possess serious talent. But the road from prospect to star is pocked with potholes. Just ask Dustin May, another potential phenom whose progression was delayed by Tommy John surgery in 2021. It is going to be quite some time before the Dodgers produce another player who can mimic Urías’ trajectory.

Quote:
The Dodgers have been criticized for a quiet offseason but it looks like they have some young guys that might be good enough to keep this Dodger train rolling. Why do the Dodgers get praise for having such a great farm system yet criticized for actually letting that farm system fill their holes? — Thai T.

Well, well, well, if it isn’t David Vassegh’s latest alias.

You make a reasonable counterargument to the general critique of the Dodgers’ winter. We’ve touched on the topic regularly in this space. But it is worth delving into the disconnect you mention. It is true that our guy Keith recently rated the farm system in Los Angeles to be the best in the sport. Eight Dodgers prospects cracked his top 100. No other team produced more. So why not clear the decks and let the kids play?

The easiest answer is that the prospects who populate even the most robust minor-league system often fail to reach expectations. They get hurt. They get exposed. Stuff goes awry. You know the drill.

To solve this problem, the strongest teams — and the Dodgers are obviously in this conversation — attempt to formulate prospect waves, so a group can arrive that mitigates the inevitable failure of certain individuals. The Dodgers aren’t banking on one or two specific rookies to save them in 2023. But they are banking on some of them to do so. It’s just hard to see exactly who it might be.

Which creates a series of questions: Can Miguel Vargas handle second base on a regular basis? Will Michael Busch make enough contact to become a regular? Same question for James Outman. Can Andy Pages lay off breaking balls? Can Bobby Miller keep his cool with men on base? Will Gavin Stone throw enough strikes? Can Ryan Pepiot cut down his walks? Can Michael Grove miss more bats?

The Dodgers believe the answer to a lot of these questions will be in the affirmative. It isn’t always easy to predict which ones, though, which feels like a significant amount of uncertainty facing a roster that is expected to surpass the luxury tax threshold, features impending free agents like Clayton Kershaw and Julio Urías and let shortstop Trea Turner leave in free agency.
So concern from fans is warranted, especially given the recent lull in the franchise’s pipeline. When Joc Pederson and Kiké Hernandez departed in free agency after 2020, the Dodgers attempted to fill the void internally. But Zach McKinstry did not develop into a super-utility regular, and left-handed hitters like Matt Beaty and Edwin Rios could not replicate Pederson’s slugging against right-handed pitchers. DJ Peters never became a starting outfielder. Sheldon Neuse did not become the next Max Muncy.

What the Dodgers have argued, both vocally and through their actions this winter, is they believe their current crop of prospects can fill the gaps in the roster created by all the departures in recent years. There is reason to trust their process. But, as with all prospects, a healthy dose of skepticism never hurts.

https://archive.is/HE6Ia#selection-561.0-649.318

4) Bobby Miller as a closer?

Quote:
Dodgers: Expert Sees Shades of Eric Gagne in Bobby Miller if He Ends Up Relieving

On Friday, ESPN held a Zoom conference where McDaniel answered questions about his list, or anything about prospects, in general.

In his article, which you can read here, McDaniel spoke very highly of the Dodgers top pitching prospect RHP Bobby Miller, comparing him to future Hall-of-Famer (and one-time Dodger) Max Scherzer. So I asked McDaniel about that comparison, and, on the flip side, what he thinks the floor could be for Miller.

Quote:
“The reason he lasted until the late first round in that draft was a little bit of effort, kind of looks like a reliever. Which obviously Max Scherzer is like the patron saint of like, if it kind of looks like a reliever it doesn’t automatically mean it’s a reliever. But he’s also the exception. You don’t expect that to happen.

But, big fastball. Good slider. There were some mixed reviews. People thought the slider was like a 50 or a 55. Like a little above average. Now it’s like a 65, maybe a 70. Which is sort of ridiculous how much better it’s gotten.

And it’s both, like the pitch has gotten better, he’s throwing it harder, a little better shape and utility to it. But yeah, if it turns out the command instead of hovering around that like 50 command, maybe 50 control, like just good enough to start. If it ends up being a 40 or 45, which is probably what it is right now. Then it’s a reliever, maybe a multi-inning reliever and it’s just like, bananas-plus stuff all over the place. I don’t want to say like Éric Gagné, but the kind of thing, like, oh, it’s not this typical like two-pitch guy where he’s like either throwing a 97 here or he’s throwing a slider off the plate here. He’s got more going on that.

So I think like a multi-inning setup guy is probably about, you know, fingers crossed on injuries and velocity disappearing and all these sorts of the things. But if it’s just sort of like a linear growth but it just stops right here, then it’s like a 40 command guy with great stuff that can come in the 7th, 8th inning and maybe go multiple and be that kind of guy.”

Quote:
However, McDaniel doesn’t think Miller is just going to hit his floor. He thinks he has a chance to be really special.

“And I just think because there’s the chance he could be that superstar, you got to move him way up the list. Even though that floor is pretty low. Like a good reliever that seems like everybody’s got a couple of those guys.”

Wow, we've got so many pitching prospects with command issues. Seems it's the same thing over and over. Great stuff, just gotta get better command. It was the same thing with May, and Pepiot. Now Miller.

I remember Kershaw had command issues coming up, and he fixed that. I don't know about Urias or Buehler but they've been great in the majors. These are the last 3 starters who we've developed into elite starters. Come to think about it, our track record for developing useful starters is kind of shaky.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:27 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand our offseason at all. We're going to cut payroll drastically, only to stay over the luxury tax anyway?

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
·
12m
Outfielder David Peralta and the Los Angeles Dodgers are in agreement on a one-year, $6.5 million contract, pending physical, sources tell ESPN. Incentives can take the deal to $8 million. Peralta, 35, joins Trayce Thompson, Chris Taylor and others likely to get left-field ABs.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 3:45 pm    Post subject:

^ I don’t understand it either. I was sure we’ll get under the CBT no matter what.

So I’m just throwing out guesses as to what happened:

1) Bauer - they probably were expecting more than a 50 game suspension for this year. They weren’t prepared for that $22M figure.

2) The Padres - they weren’t prepared for the Padres to go all in like this.

3) Ohtani - the plan is to get under the CBT to go hard at Ohtani. But, Ohtani’s no. 1 goal is to sign with a winner. The Mets and Padres went all this this year. If we look bad this yr, we might lose out on Ohtani. So there’s that fear that if we get smoked by the Mets and/or the Padres, we might lose Ohtani to them

But yeah, ultimately it goes back to 2 decisions that have saddled us with $16M on the books this yr:

1) keeping Buehler - $8.1M
2) picking up Treinen’s team option at the beginning of the season as he was hurt.

These 2 decisions put us over the CBT this year.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject:

Pretty good outfield signing, given they apparently don't care about the tax now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2023 6:02 pm    Post subject:

Looks like we're going to platoon CF and LF with 3 outfielders, all of whom have the same splits:

good/great vs. righties, horrible vs. lefties.

Quote:
vs. LEFTIES:

Chris Taylor:
119 AB
2 HR
9 RBI

.193 avg
.289 obp
.319 slg
.608 ops

Trayce Thompson:
86 AB
3 HR
11 RBI

.174 avg
.260 obp
.360 slg
.621 ops

David Peralta:
65 AB
1 HR
5 RBI

.154 avg
.247 obp
.215 slg
.462 ops

Quote:
vs. RIGHTIES:

Chris Taylor:
283 AB
8 HR
34 RBI

.233 avg
.310 obp
.396 slg
.706 ops

Trayce Thompson:
133 AB
10 HR
30 RBI

.308 avg
.329 obp
.409 slg
1.010ops

David Peralta:
374 AB
11 HR
54 RBI

.267 avg
.329 obp
.449 slg
.778 ops

Hopefully we don't face any lefties this year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject:

We signed Alex Reyes to a modest deal with a '24 club option, though he could get up to $10MM if he hits all incentives. Missed all of last season with a shoulder injury and will miss the start of this season as well. If the name sounds familiar, he gave up the walkoff homer to Chris Taylor in the 2021 NL Wild Card game. In fact, I think that was the last pitch he's thrown.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject:

^ I swear sometimes these writers don't know how to write clearly.

Quote:
The Dodgers have an agreement in place with right-hander Alex Reyes, pending a physical, according to Juan Toribio of MLB.com.

The deal will pay Reyes $1.1MM in 2023, and comes with a $3MM club option for 2024.

The deal comes with a number of incentives which take the value up to $10MM.

Craig Mish of the Miami Herald reports Reyes can add an additional $2MM in incentives in 2023, and a further $8MM in incentives in 2024.

So, is $10M the max he can make, or the max incentives he can earn? Seems like it's the max in incentives he can earn but why write in such a confusing/ambiguous way?

Looks like we're now at $244M for the CBT:

Quote:
That’ll be a ~$244MM figure for luxury tax, which lands them roughly in the middle of the first and second tiers of luxury tax. There had been some speculation that the Dodgers might look to dip under the first luxury tax threshold to reset their penalties this year, but they’ll now need to shed around $11MM of luxury tax payroll to do that.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/dodgers-to-sign-alex-reyes.html

Yeah, Taylor ($15M), Buehler ($8.1M), and Treinen ($8M) are just killing us this year.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 2:53 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Quote:
The Dodgers have an agreement in place with right-hander Alex Reyes, pending a physical, according to Juan Toribio of MLB.com.

The deal will pay Reyes $1.1MM in 2023, and comes with a $3MM club option for 2024.

Craig Mish of the Miami Herald reports Reyes can add an additional $2MM in incentives in 2023, and a further $8MM in incentives in 2024.

So, is $10M the max he can make, or the max incentives he can earn? Seems like it's the max in incentives he can earn but why write in such a confusing/ambiguous way?

Looks like we're now at $244M for the CBT:

Quote:
That’ll be a ~$244MM figure for luxury tax, which lands them roughly in the middle of the first and second tiers of luxury tax. There had been some speculation that the Dodgers might look to dip under the first luxury tax threshold to reset their penalties this year, but they’ll now need to shed around $11MM of luxury tax payroll to do that.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/dodgers-to-sign-alex-reyes.html

Yeah, Taylor ($15M), Buehler ($8.1M), and Treinen ($8M) are just killing us this year.

I suppose we still can't rule out a trade that could take us under, but at the same time, it's also possible that we make a trade either before the season or during the season that significantly adds to the payroll. You never know.
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Finally caught up on all the post. Great read as always LBP.

On a side note, when you guys mentioned David Peralta for some reason I was thinking David Justice. I was asking myself he still in the league? LOL
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:46 am    Post subject:

- We re-signed Jimmy Nelson, 1 yr $1.2M. This is his 4th season with us. Times flies. I could hardly remember him pitching for us at all.

Last time he pitched for us was 2021 - 29ip, 1.86 ERA

Quote:
The Los Angeles Dodgers and RP Jimmy Nelson are reportedly in agreement on a one-year, $1.2 million contract for the 2023 season, per The Athletic’s Fabian Ardaya. The deal is a major league contract and can reach up to $4 million with bonuses.

Nelson, a former starting pitcher, joined the Dodgers’ bullpen in 2021 and emerged as a star reliever. The right-hander posted a sparkling 1.86 ERA in 28 games for Los Angeles.

LA had previously declined their team option on Nelson after he missed all of 2022 due to Tommy John surgery. His presence adds depth to an already impressive Dodgers’ bullpen.

It is unclear whether or not Jimmy Nelson will be ready to roll to open the season. However, the fact that he received a full big league contract from the Dodgers suggests he will be ready early in the year at the very least barring any setbacks.

Quote:
After Nelson missed the entire 2022 season while on the mend from August 2021 Tommy John surgery, the Dodgers declined their $1.1 million team option for the right-hander, who will end up getting a slight pay raise for 2023 after all is said and done.

Weird move. So, we had a $1.1M option on him. I'm not sure if there were any incentives on the old deal. We declined that, now we're bringing him back for $1.2M plus another $2.8M in incentives.

-----------------------------------

- Dave Roberts said JD Martinez will be the full time DH. This isn't surprising news, but it didn't sink in until he said it. Assuming he doesn't get days off, this means that we will lose Smith's bat in the lineup on the days he doesn't catch. Last year, Smith played 25 games as the DH. So maybe 25 for Smith and 137 for JD Martinez?

-----------------------------------

Let's see how our roster shapes up right now as we head into Spring Training:

Quote:
Starting Lineup:
1) Betts (RF)
2) Lux (SS)
3) Freeman (1B)
4) Smith (C)
5) Muncy (3B)
6) JD Martinez (DH)
7) Peralta (LF)
8) Taylor (CF)
9) Vargas (2B)

Bench:
10) Miguel Rojas (SS)
11) Austin Barnes (C)
12) Thompson (LF/CF)
13)

- James Outman (OF)
- Jason Heyward (OF)
- Bradley Zimmer (OF)
- Michael Busch (IF)
- Yonny Hernandez (IF)

Starting Pitchers:
1) Urias
2) Kershaw
3) Gonsolin
4) Syndergaard
5) May

- Ryan Pepiot
- Bobby Miller
- Gavin Stone
- Michael Grove
- Andre Jackson

Relievers:
6) Alex Vesia
7) Evan Phillips
8) Brusdar Graterol
9) Yency Almonte
10) Caleb Ferguson
11)
12)
13)

- Daniel Hudson (injured?)
- Shelby Miller ($1.5M guaranteed)
- Phil Bickford
- Jimmy Nelson ($1.2M guaranteed)
- Justin Bruihl
- Victor González
- Alex Reyes (forgot about him)

Injured List:
- Buehler
- Treinen
- J.P. Feyereisen
- Daniel Hudson (maybe)

- Looks like 22 of our 26 roster spots should be set. We're just trying to figure out our last bench player and our last 3 relievers.

- It's going to be interesting what they do with Chris Taylor now that we have Peralta. I think Peralta will play LF vs righties, so that's the majority of the games. Probably looking at 120 games a year.

I can't see us paying Taylor $15M and not having a spot for him in the starting lineup, so I think he starts in CF. I wonder what kind of centerfielder he is now? Is he average, below average? Bad?

- It'll also be interesting what they do with Outman/Busch. Especially Busch. If they put him on the active roster right away, they start his clock. This is a top 50 type prospect, so I don't know if they want to start his clock yet. They might wait a couple of months then bring him up and get 7 years out of him.

- Jimmy Nelson ($1.2M) and Shelby Miller ($1.5M) might be guaranteed roster spots since both signed guaranteed major league deals. If this is so, then we're only looking for 1 other reliever, and that might be Daniel Hudson if he's ready. If not, then it might be Gonzalez. Haven't seen him in a long time.

- edit: I forgot about Alex Reyes. He has a $1M contract this yr and a club option for $3M next year, plus up to $10M in incentives. So, he might be guaranteed a spot too. So, with Nelson, Miller and Reyes, that might be it. Our opening day bullpen might be set as well.

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject:

- This is not new news. All old articles from Jan but just a reminder that we are high/optimistic on Shelby Miller:

Quote:
Dodgers General Manager Brandon Gomes Optimistic With Shelby Miller

“He had a lot of success in Triple-A and has fully transitioned to being a reliever,” Dodgers general manager Brandon Gomes said. “It’s an interesting throw — a fastball with a kind of low-slot, rise-and-run, and the slider plays off that. We feel like he’ll have a high strikeout rate with an average walk rate.”

Quote:
The 32-year-old revealed he is working with Dodgers pitching coaches Mark Prior and Connor McGuiness to hone his craft and make his pitches more difficult to pick up for batters, via Mike DiGiovanna of the L.A. Times:

“We’re seeing how we can tunnel pitches better off the heater and trying to perfect my craft a bit,” Miller said. “These guys are so knowledgeable. Connor and Mark are amazing dudes who know a lot about pitching, how to get guys out, how to get swings and misses, and how we can do this every day.”

The Dodgers have an excellent reputation with helping talented pitchers return to form, and they hope Miller becomes the latest success story. The right-hander impressed in a small sample size with the Giants by striking out nearly half of the batters he faced.

Miller is expected to pitch out of the bullpen for the Dodgers in 2023, and given his experience as a starter, it’s plausible he will be utilized to pitch multiple innings.

Miller conceivably could be stretched out in the event the team needs a spot starter at some point in 2023.

And here's what he did last year with the Giants:

Quote:
Giants' Miller makes MLB history with wild stat line in two games

Quote:
Shelby Miller of the @SFGiants is the only MLB pitcher in the modern era to have back-to-back outings with 5+ strikeouts in less than 3.0 innings with no walks or runs allowed.

In his first appearance, a 6-5 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks on Sept. 23, Miller struck out seven of the 12 batters he faced in his 2 2/3 innings of work.

His next appearance was against the Colorado Rockies on Sept. 28 and the 31-year-old righty struck out five in two innings in San Francisco's 6-3 win.

Yeah, he's a strikeout machine. Hopefully, he can duplicate/replicate his limited success last year into a full year for us.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:53 pm    Post subject:

They need to start the clock on Busch imo, or trade him while he still has elite prospect value. The guy is already 25. If you wait too long, you kill his prospect value at the very least.
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:40 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
I don't understand our offseason at all. We're going to cut payroll drastically, only to stay over the luxury tax anyway?

Jeff Passan
@JeffPassan
·
12m
Outfielder David Peralta and the Los Angeles Dodgers are in agreement on a one-year, $6.5 million contract, pending physical, sources tell ESPN. Incentives can take the deal to $8 million. Peralta, 35, joins Trayce Thompson, Chris Taylor and others likely to get left-field ABs.

It's honestly so confusing. I have faith in Friedman but feels like the season is somehow a soft punt. Like we want to be competitive, and are ready to make moves to get us over the hump . . . but he's also prepared to toss it away and go after Ohtani . . . but all our key guys are getting older so maybe we compete now . . . but we need to see if our prospects are good . . . but we're also not letting them take over . . .?

Like what are we doing
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Did y'all see this? Burnes is not happy with the Brewers over how they handled his arbitration case. Now this is someone that you consider trading Bobby Miller for. Not Bryan Reynolds. Corbin Burnes? Please, please flounder this year, Milwaukee, so we can make a play for him. We have the pieces, and he and Ohtani could theoretically be our 1-2 next year if you allow Urias to depart. He reaches free agency after the '24 season, so if the Brewers wanted a boatload for him, I'd argue that this year is the time to deal him, as he wouldn't return quite as much as an expirer, if they traded him after the '23 season.

https://twitter.com/AdamMcCalvy/status/1626280778853388289
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:04 pm    Post subject:

^ wow, they fought over $749k

Burnes: $10.75M
Brewers: $10.01M

Crazy to trash your star player over $749k.

Ok, now that I think about it, it does make sense. It really sets a precedent in future negotiations with all their players. Other players will think: well, if Burnes can lose, what are my chances?

So yeah, I get it. It's more than just $749k.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Trayce Thompson playing for Great Britain in the WBC.

Of course, his dad is Mychal Thompson, who is from the Bahamas. Now, the Bahamas is an independent country. However: "The Bahamas became an independent country within the Commonwealth in 1973."

Quote:
On July 10, 1973, The Bahamas became a free and sovereign country, ending 325 years of peaceful British rule. However, The Bahamas is a member of the Commonwealth of Nations

So, I'm not really familiar with the Commonwealth of Nations. I did look it up and there are like 54 countries. So, they can all play for Great Britain?

Anyways, didn't even know they play baseball over there.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:20 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Chelsea Janes
@chelsea_janes

Machado confirms he plans to opt out at the end of this season, said Padres know where he stands when it comes to a new deal. Noted the market has changed dramatically since he signed.

“There’s a lot of money out there.”

“As a player about to opt out, it’s pretty good to see.”

Wonder what's his market? Another 10 yr deal for $350M?

Machado is the opposite of Arenado
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:55 am    Post subject:

Kershaw might be out of the WBC because supposedly, he is having trouble securing insurance:

Quote:
Dodgers News: Clayton Kershaw Potentially Missing 2023 World Baseball Classic

Although Kershaw was included on the Team USA roster, general manager Tony Reagins said he is in danger of not getting cleared for the WBC, according to Jack Harris of the L.A. Times:

U.S. general manager Tony Reagins, however, acknowledged Thursday that “there are some challenges in getting Clayton cleared” for the international tournament.

Kershaw acknowledged there are hurdles that need to be cleared, but maintained an expectation he will get a chance to play for the United States:

“There’s some complications right now,” he said. “Still working through some of that stuff now. I don’t have any finite answers. But assuming I’m on the team, I’ll be there when everybody else is. That’s all I really have on that one.”

It’s presumed the obstacles Kershaw has encountered is likely related to obtaining insurance coverage. In previous years, players who failed to secure insurance were not permitted to play in the WBC.

Kershaw is said to have a clean bill of health as 2023 Spring Training gets underway, but he has a long history of back injuries and suffered left elbow/forearm trouble as recently as 2021.

https://dodgerblue.com/dodgers-news-clayton-kershaw-potentially-missing-2023-world-baseball-classic/2023/02/17/

Looks like he's out. He couldn't get insured:

Quote:
Kershaw wouldn't disclose details, but a source with knowledge of the situation said he was unable to attain insurance for his contract, likely because of his history with back injuries.

-------------------

"Super disappointing," Kershaw said. "We tried a lot of different things. All sides, we really tried to make it work. Nothing's wrong with me; it just didn't work out. I really wanted to do it, I really wanted to be a part of that group. Probably my last chance to do it, so I really wanted to do it. Just didn't work out for a number of reasons. Disappointing, but it's OK, I'll be ready for the season, ready to go."

Teams require their 40-man-roster players to get their contracts insured before taking part in the World Baseball Classic in order to protect them in the event of injury during the tournament. The vast majority of those cases are handled through a private company that works with Major League Baseball, but players can seek out other third parties in hopes of getting insured. Kershaw, a source familiar with the process said, spent at least the last couple weeks exploring different avenues before ultimately deciding Friday that it might not be feasible.

Kershaw, a nine-time All-Star and three-time Cy Young Award winner, has spent time on the injured list with back-related ailments in five of the last seven seasons, most recently missing about a month on two separate occasions in 2022.

---------------

"I'm frustrated," Kershaw said. "They should make it easy for guys that want to play to play. Obviously if the team doesn't want you to play that's one thing. But if you have the team's blessing, like I do, it should be easier. They should probably look into that."

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:18 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, turns out this really was confusing as heck the way they wrote it.

There's more info that the max he can make is $2M in 2023 and $8M in 2024 or $10M total.

Quote:
Reyes has a club option for 2024 and bonuses that, as Juan Toribio at MLB.com and Fabian Ardaya at The Athletic reported over the weekend, could make the deal worth up to $10 million over two years. The right-hander has a $1-million salary in 2023 and if the $3-million club option is not exercised he would receive a buyout of $100,000.

Quote:
The Associated Press has further details on Reyes’ contract, which if maximized would pay him $2 million in 2023 and $8 million in 2024:

The option price would escalate by $1 million for relief appearances this year: $300,000 each for 15 and 20, and $400,000 for 25.

Reyes can earn $1 million in performance bonuses this year for relief appearances: $250,000 each for 15, 20, 25 and 30.

If the 2024 option is exercised, he could earn $1 million in roster bonuses: $500,000 each for 60 and 120 days on the active roster. He also could earn $3 million in performance bonuses: $250,000 each for 50, 55, 60 and 65 relief appearances, $250,000 apiece for 30, 35, 40 and 45 games finished, and $500,000 each for 50 and 55 games finished.

https://www.truebluela.com/2023/2/16/23601623/dodgers-contract-details-david-peralta-jimmy-nelson-and-alex-reyes

So the way I understand it is this:

Quote:
2023:

$1M base salary
+ $1M in possible incentives

Total for 2023 = $2M

2024 (team option w/ $100k buyout):

$3M base salary +
$1M increase if he appears in 25 games in 2023
+ $4M in possible incentives

Total for 2024 = $8M

JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject:

So do we have a pitching staff that can compete in the playoffs yet?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject:

1) Bob Nightengale on Julio Urias:

Quote:
“Friends close to Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Julio Urias, frustrated by the pitch limits that the organization has set throughout his career, are convinced that he’ll depart as a free agent after the season.”

2) Dave Roberts on Mookie Betts' future:

Quote:
Dodgers outfielder Mookie Betts, 30, who still has 10 years remaining on his 12-year, $365 million contract, likely will end his career at second base, manager Dave Roberts predicts.

“We have so much depth on the infield now, I don’t see it happening this year,’’ Roberts says, “but as Father Time takes it toll, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Mookie play the last four years of his career at second base.’’

3) Mookie Betts' said he gained 8-9lbs of muscle this offseason. Dave Roberts doesn't believe him (or was joking):

Quote:
Betts made his way up to Driveline in Seattle, where he worked on hitting and other drills. The data-driven training facility was established in 2008 and has continued to grow in popularity as its approaches become more mainstream.

“My employer told me I need to go, so that’s how I ended up there,” Betts said with a smile.

The takeaway from his experience was Betts needing to gain weight by adding muscle to his frame.

“That’s pretty much it,” Betts said. “Just continue to play the same game I’ve been playing and get a little stronger. I think I’ve gained about eight or nine pounds so far. We’ll see how it works.”

Quote:
“Did he gain 8 pounds,” Roberts asked with a degree of incredulity. “He carries it well. He looks the same to me.”

4) Betts is no longer a vegan, but he cut out dairy from his diet:

Quote:
Mookie Betts no longer vegan

A common criticism of Betts over recent years was a widely-held belief he was vegan. Betts did have such a diet earlier in his career but only reverted to such a lifestyle for a brief stretch in 2021.

That decision spawned from Betts having high cholesterol at the time and his family’s history of related health issues.

Although Betts is not vegan, he has largely eliminated dairy, which was a diet Kiké Hernandez, Corey Seager and Justin Turner notably adopted after Chase Utley introduced it to the Dodgers clubhouse.

5) We won't start the season with a designated closer. We might appoint one later in the year:

Quote:
Fabian Ardaya
@FabianArdaya

Dave Roberts said he "could see" the Dodgers designating a closer at some point over the course of the season, but the club isn't entering spring with a set closer and spring training isn't enough to base a decision off of on its own.

6) Syndergaard's velocity is already up:

Quote:
Fabian Ardaya
@FabianArdaya

Dave Roberts said Noah Syndergaard has already shown an uptick in velocity in bullpens compared to one’s he threw a year ago.

“There’s going to be a marked increase in velocity (this year), in our opinion,” Roberts said.

7) According to Freeman, Jason Heyward has already fixed and "unlocked" his swing:

Quote:
Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder Jason Heyward underwent a "significant" adjustment to his swing mechanics this winter, according to manager Dave Roberts. "I think he might have unlocked something," said first baseman Freddie Freeman
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Not so good news about Urias. I hope it's not true. Besides that looks like all good news going in to the season. Can't wait.

Regarding Mookie not being a vegan anymore, he probably had a nice rib eye steak and had an eye opening experience. LOL.

On a serious note, glad Mookie gained muscle but I hope that doesn't affect his speed.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject:

Bob Nightengale says: Machado and the Padres are $145M apart right now.

Machado: 10 yrs $400M

Padres: 10 yrs $255M

Quote:
According to Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports, the Padres' latest offer to Machado puts the two sides an astonishing $145M apart.

Machado is reportedly seeking a 10-year, $400M extension beginning in 2024 after opting out of his original deal. Per Nightengale, the Padres presented Machado with a five-year, $105M extension starting in 2029.

He has 5 yrs $150M left, so the Padres' offer would be on top of that coming out to 10 for $255M.

----------------------

MLB Trade Rumors calls it false:

Quote:
MLB Trade Rumors
@mlbtraderumors

We've made an update to our recent Manny Machado post, refuting the report of him seeking ten years and $400 million from the Padres:

https://mlbtraderumors.com/2023/02/padres-manny-machado-were-reportedly-145mm-apart-in-extension-talks.html

Quote:
A source tells MLBTR’s Tim Dierkes that the report of Machado seeking a 10-year, $400 million extension is incorrect. It is not known specifically what Machado is seeking, or whether his camp made a counteroffer to the Padres’ offer to add five years and $105MM to his existing contract.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject:

Life will go on w/ or w/o Julio, already several aces available next off-season such as Ohtani and Fried.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:46 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
Life will go on w/ or w/o Julio, already several aces available next off-season such as Ohtani and Fried.

2025 for Fried

But we might have major interest in a Japanese pitcher next year (not Ohtani):

Quote:
Joseph Kim
@blackwings2011

#Dodgers Andrew Friedman has visited Team #Japan in Miyazaki !! He mentioned about Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Roki Sasaki & Munetaka Murakami . Looks like he is really interested in Yoshinobu Yamamoto.

Quote:
Dodgers Rumors: Andrew Friedman ‘Really Interested’ In NPB Pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto

According to multiple reports, MLB teams are under the impression that the Buffaloes will post Yamamoto following the 2023 season. Some scouts believe he is capable of being a No. 1 starter in the Majors and will command a contract that could approach $150 million in total value.

Yamamoto boasts a fastball that sits in the mid-to-upper-90s, and an above average splitter and curveball. The right-hander made his professional debut as an 18-year-old in 2017 and has averaged 7.1 innings per start since the 2021 season.

If Yamamoto is indeed posted by the Buffaloes at the end of the year, all 30 teams will be permitted to negotiate with him. However, the team that signs him will need to pay Orix a fee that is equal to 20% of the contract’s first $25 million, 17.5% of the next $25 million and 15% of any additional dollars.

Yamamoto potentially making the jump to the big leagues next year coincides with Ohtani also on track to become a free agent. The Dodgers are expected to be one of the two-way star’s biggest suitors if he does reach the open market.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 7 of 314
Jump to: