Dodgers 2023 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 312, 313, 314  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Jack Harris reported that the Dodgers will pursue a trade for Corbin Burnes, should the Brewers make him available. And perhaps they will, as they may be entering a different kind of year. Woodruff is likely to miss the entire season, and Counsell may depart as their skipper. Maybe they look to restock a bit, and Burnes only has 1 year left before he hits free agency.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 8:39 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Some guesses at free agent pitching contracts...

https://nypost.com/2023/11/02/sports/breaking-down-top-free-agent-pitchers-projected-contracts/

Cool list. Pretty sure the only one we have a shot at are Gio, Flaherty, Paxton or Ryu. Basically whoever can be had at a good price. Everyone else should get paid quite well or just isn’t very good and AF usually will pass on those.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:55 am    Post subject:

Quote:
World Series was least-watched Fall Classic in TV history

The Texas Rangers 5-0 victory over the Arizona Diamondbacks for their first championship on Wednesday night drew the largest audience of this World Series. However, it was not enough to prevent the five-game series from being the least-watched Fall Classic in recorded TV history.

Nielsen and Fox said Thursday the World Series averaged 9.11 million viewers, less than the 9.79 million average from the 2020 series, when the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Tampa Bay Rays in six games.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 10:37 am    Post subject:

Kersh just posted he had surgery on his left shoulder on Instagram. Said he hopes to return to pitching at some point this summer.

Perfect. He can start in July and get ready for the playoffs. Even better we should be able to get him on a slight discount because he will only be available half the year. 1/15 sounds amazing.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
Kersh just posted he had surgery on his left shoulder on Instagram. Said he hopes to return to pitching at some point this summer.

Perfect. He can start in July and get ready for the playoffs. Even better we should be able to get him on a slight discount because he will only be available half the year. 1/15 sounds amazing.

Doesn’t sound like dude is retiring. Unless he’s talking about pitching in some rec league in Dallas?

Still can’t believe we chose a dude (whose shoulder was so bad he needed shoulder surgery immediately after the season ended) to start game 1!

How do u have WS aspirations and u go with the most broken down pitcher in the postseason, to start game 1?

Kershaw was as broken down as Scherzer was.

Texas left Scherzer off the playoff roster for their first 2 series.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:13 pm    Post subject:

No to Kershaw. I don’t care how cheap and how good he will be in regulars season. He just bad luck in the postseason, his presence alone in the dugout during next postseason wouldn’t help teams psyche.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
No to Kershaw. I don’t care how cheap and how good he will be in regulars season. He just bad luck in the postseason, his presence alone in the dugout during next postseason wouldn’t help teams psyche.

I couldn't agree more. It's time to rip the band-aid off. As long as he's here, there will always be the "allure" of going to him in the postseason. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: he is now nothing but a crux. So he'll perform in the regular season. So what? That is literally meaningless for us, at this point. We will get through the regular season.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:24 am    Post subject:

Funny one of the alternative scenarios was Kershaw going home and joining the Rangers. If the Rangers had signed him maybe they would've never won the World Series. Instead he signed back with us for another year and killed our playoff hopes.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 6:12 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Funny one of the alternative scenarios was Kershaw going home and joining the Rangers. If the Rangers had signed him maybe they would've never won the World Series. Instead he signed back with us for another year and killed our playoff hopes.

Bochy wouldn’t have started him gm 1, that’s for sure
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:00 am    Post subject:

I will gladly take a 177 ERA+ for another discount.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:

What a take.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 8:40 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Yoshinobu Yamamoto shines with 14 K's in possible Japan finale

Pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto made a strong closing statement in what could be his final game in Japan before an anticipated move to the major leagues.

Yamamoto threw a complete game with a Japan Series-record 14 strikeouts Saturday to help the Orix Buffaloes defeat the Hanshin Tigers 5-1 and force a decisive Game 7.

Yamamoto, 25, does not have enough service time to become a free agent in Japan but could be offered to major league teams under the posting system agreed to by MLB and Nippon Professional Baseball.

His 14 strikeouts, recorded over 138 pitches, broke a record previously held by Yu Darvish. It also was a rebound from Game 1 of the series, when Yamamoto gave up seven runs on 10 hits in 5⅔ innings.

Quote:
"I went to the mound able to concentrate really well," Yamamoto said, according to Kyodo News. "I'm very happy that I was able to deliver the goods right until the end. The crowd's cheers at the start of the ninth really gave me a boost."

Yamamoto threw the second no-hitter of his career in September in a game that was attended by several MLB executives. He also pitched on Japan's team this year that won the World Baseball Classic.

Orix will seek a second straight Japan Series title in Sunday's Game 7. Hanshin is seeking its first title since 1985 and second overall.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject:

Rumor mill churning about Verdugo and of course Arenado.

If Dugo returns home then does Mookie transition to everyday 2b? I'd assume both Vargas and Busch are gone via trades and Lux is a lock at SS upon his return.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:32 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
Yoshinobu Yamamoto shines with 14 K's in possible Japan finale

Pitcher Yoshinobu Yamamoto made a strong closing statement in what could be his final game in Japan before an anticipated move to the major leagues.

Yamamoto threw a complete game with a Japan Series-record 14 strikeouts Saturday to help the Orix Buffaloes defeat the Hanshin Tigers 5-1 and force a decisive Game 7.

Yamamoto, 25, does not have enough service time to become a free agent in Japan but could be offered to major league teams under the posting system agreed to by MLB and Nippon Professional Baseball.

His 14 strikeouts, recorded over 138 pitches, broke a record previously held by Yu Darvish. It also was a rebound from Game 1 of the series, when Yamamoto gave up seven runs on 10 hits in 5⅔ innings.

Quote:
"I went to the mound able to concentrate really well," Yamamoto said, according to Kyodo News. "I'm very happy that I was able to deliver the goods right until the end. The crowd's cheers at the start of the ninth really gave me a boost."

Yamamoto threw the second no-hitter of his career in September in a game that was attended by several MLB executives. He also pitched on Japan's team this year that won the World Baseball Classic.

Orix will seek a second straight Japan Series title in Sunday's Game 7. Hanshin is seeking its first title since 1985 and second overall.

Obviously I want Ohtani the most but I really want this guy too. I wouldn’t be upset if we got 1/2 of them. 138 pitch outing is absolute insanity.

Also has the Bauer ship sailed? He was on Twitter and said he would be totally fine with a Dodger reunion. Only said there’s on team he wouldn’t pitch for (idk which team this is).

He started out rough but finished strong in Japan. On a one year deal I would love to have him back. Obviously I’m guessing it’s not happening because of optics.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

If Dugo returns home then does Mookie transition to everyday 2b? I'd assume both Vargas and Busch are gone via trades and Lux is a lock at SS upon his return.

Vargas and Busch have almost priced themselves out of a trade - similar to what Lux did a few years ago. We are better off holding IMO.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 10:43 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Vargas and Busch have almost priced themselves out of a trade - similar to what Lux did a few years ago. We are better off holding IMO.

Busch turns 26 in 5 days. How long do you want to wait LOL. If you aren't going to play him on the big league club, you have to just move him as part of a deal for whatever you can get.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:02 am    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Snipes wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

Busch turns 26 in 5 days. How long do you want to wait LOL. If you aren't going to play him on the big league club, you have to just move him as part of a deal for whatever you can get.

That’s what I mean. I rather him be our 2baseman or on our bench. Trading him for pennies on the dollar potentially because he’s had a horrible mlb showing is not the way. Sell high buy low is the mantra.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The White Sox declined their option on Tim Anderson's contract Saturday, making the shortstop a free agent.

Anderson will receive a $1 million buyout after the White Sox decided not to keep him around for 2024 at a $14 million salary.

Tim Anderson for cheap?

We really need RH bats on the team. We were so lefty dominant this season:

Quote:
Muncy
Freeman
Heyward
Peralta
Outman
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
Snipes wrote:
MookieBetts50 wrote:

That’s what I mean. I rather him be our 2baseman or on our bench. Trading him for pennies on the dollar potentially because he’s had a horrible mlb showing is not the way. Sell high buy low is the mantra.

While he's still ripping up the minors, you might be able to still get something for him, but the clock is really ticking. Most prospects have obviously debuted already, before they hit 26. I recall that Aaron Judge didn't establish himself as a full-time major leaguer until he was 25, but it's rare. And having him as a bench player isn't enough, you aren't getting enough value. If you aren't going to have him get everyday MLB at-bats, then we should move him now. At least while he still has positive value. We're getting close to running the risk of him having absolutely zero value. He's still a top-100 prospect, so use him now while you can. Start him (which doesn't seem like it's in the cards), or trade him.

Note that Miguel Vargas turns 24 later this month, so while he's not quite in the same spot as Busch as it relates to age, the clock is ticking on him as well.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject:

I don’t get why we don’t just throw Busch out in left field. Is he really that much more of a liability out there than someone like a Schwarber? If he’s a great cost controlled young bat, let’s see what we’ve got.
MookieBetts50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:10 pm    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:
The White Sox declined their option on Tim Anderson's contract Saturday, making the shortstop a free agent.

Anderson will receive a $1 million buyout after the White Sox decided not to keep him around for 2024 at a $14 million salary.

Tim Anderson for cheap?

Quote:
Muncy
Freeman
Heyward
Peralta
Outman

Feels like TA is washed and doesn't really address our needs anymore than Rosario did for us but yeah we're on the verge of becoming even more LH dominant if Ohtani arrives.
DuncanIdaho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:
LongBeachPoly wrote:
Quote:

Tim Anderson for cheap?

Quote:
Muncy
Freeman
Heyward
Peralta
Outman

Feels like TA is washed and doesn't really address our needs anymore than Rosario did for us but yeah we're on the verge of becoming even more LH dominant if Ohtani arrives.

Agreed. I was a fan of trying to trade for TA and a Sox pitcher during the season, but I think he’s pretty washed now. Or to put it another way: I have supreme confidence in Prior turning around pitchers, but not so much with our hitting coach.
Snipes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:31 pm    Post subject:

^^ where would he even hit? 6th? Just doesn’t make sense anymore. Also Lux will be coming back and don’t we have Rojas still as our backup?
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:07 pm    Post subject:

Snipes wrote:
^^ where would he even hit? 6th? Just doesn’t make sense anymore. Also Lux will be coming back and don’t we have Rojas still as our backup?

He'd be our 2nd baseman.

It's either him, Kike, Rosario, Vargas, or Busch.

Also, he might be able to play 3B, who knows. I mean, if he's cheap, why not. He's obviously not worth $14M for 1 yr, or at least not to the White Sox.

So, 1 yr $8M?

We paid 1 yr $6.5M for the corpse of David Peralta.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject:

MookieBetts50 wrote:

Good point with Ohtani. Don't forget Lux as well.

Yeah, now we really need a good RH bat. Let's see where Lux & Ohtani fits in right now. (I'm going to pencil Kike in at 2B for the time being):

Quote:
1) RF - Betts (R)
2) 1B - Freeman (L)
3) DH - Ohtani (L)

4) C - Smith (R)
5) 3B - Muncy (L)
6) CF - Outman (L)
7) LF - Heyward (L)

8) 2B - Kike (R)
9) SS - Lux (L)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 312, 313, 314  Next
Page 313 of 314
Jump to: