RUI HACHIMURA (3yr, $51M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 95, 96, 97  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:20 am    Post subject:

defense wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:
The truth is right now Troy is much better than he is on this team. Rui’s role is to come off the bench…provide some offensive punch, which he hasn’t. Be A solid wing defender, which he hasn’t. Get some boards and run the floor. Not much of each. Honestly I would offer him 3 years $15 million tops or let him walk.

Troy has played better than Rui but that's not saying much.

It's all a question of whose ceiling is higher.

I mean for the same price you take Rui but if Troy is willing to work for peanuts then maybe that's the way to go.

I would take Brown over Rui at the same price

If nothing changes, sure... but Brown isn't exactly lighting the league on fire either.

Troy vs. Rui

It's like if you can get Troy for 5 million and Rui is 12 million... then it's an easy call.

But if both are 5 million... I could see signing Rui but I couldn't argue against you much if we were co general managers.

The biggest problem for the front office is that Rui wanted 18 million while Troy was glad to be in the league at the beginning of the season.

A very similar problem to Dennis except Dennis showed way more value than Rui has given so far... even with his playoff choke.

So if he comes for 18 million, you laugh him out of the room.

I mean at this point, even 12 million isn't worth it when you can expend it on other players.

But if both are willing to work for an exception or less, it becomes more of a debate.

As it stands... Rui has played himself into a really bad position... but he also isn't being used by the coach well at all either.

He's an offensive player who no one looks for other than maybe a couple plays a game... and it probably explains why when he has a few shots, he's totally choking.

He can see his modest bag slipping out his fingers with every brick.

So, sure Troy is good in comparison... better defense, more energy... but that's not saying much at the moment.

I can say that Troy is way better now than he was at the beginning of the season... at least he's making his threes.

But who's to say Rui wouldn't hit his shots if they looked for him regularly?

Then it becomes more of a debate.
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:39 am    Post subject:

That QO is looking more likely for Rui. I just don’t see the Lakers letting him walk for nothing. Rui loves LA. So Rui might end up taking that $8m QO.

I still think he is adjusting. Specially missing two true playmakers right now. But you still keep him with his upside and his size. Worst case you trade him for a better fit player or a big next season.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
That QO is looking more likely for Rui. I just don’t see the Lakers letting him walk for nothing. Rui loves LA. So Rui might end up taking that $8m QO.

I still think he is adjusting. Specially missing two true playmakers right now. But you still keep him with his upside and his size. Worst case you trade him for a better fit player or a big next season.

if we can keep him for the QO amount, we should do it. i think as a foreign player especially Asian, there is no better place than Los Angeles.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:54 am    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
defense wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:
The truth is right now Troy is much better than he is on this team. Rui’s role is to come off the bench…provide some offensive punch, which he hasn’t. Be A solid wing defender, which he hasn’t. Get some boards and run the floor. Not much of each. Honestly I would offer him 3 years $15 million tops or let him walk.

I mean for the same price you take Rui but if Troy is willing to work for peanuts then maybe that's the way to go.

If nothing changes, sure... but Brown isn't exactly lighting the league on fire either.

Troy vs. Rui

It's like if you can get Troy for 5 million and Rui is 12 million... then it's an easy call.

But if both are 5 million... I could see signing Rui but I couldn't argue against you much if we were co general managers.

The biggest problem for the front office is that Rui wanted 18 million while Troy was glad to be in the league at the beginning of the season.

A very similar problem to Dennis except Dennis showed way more value than Rui has given so far... even with his playoff choke.

I mean at this point, even 12 million isn't worth it when you can expend it on other players.

But if both are willing to work for an exception or less, it becomes more of a debate.

As it stands... Rui has played himself into a really bad position... but he also isn't being used by the coach well at all either.

He's an offensive player who no one looks for other than maybe a couple plays a game... and it probably explains why when he has a few shots, he's totally choking.

So, sure Troy is good in comparison... better defense, more energy... but that's not saying much at the moment.

I can say that Troy is way better now than he was at the beginning of the season... at least he's making his threes.

I am always dubious when people excuse players poor performance by saying the coach isn't using him right.

Rui is an undersized, score-first PF who hasn't done much in his four years in the NBA and may not be good enough to start on a good team. Like a lot of middle-of-the-pack NBA players, he probably isn't good enough for teams to focus on what works best for him and for teammates to look for him; Rui will have to figure out how to be productive in a scheme based on what works best for the team.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:04 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
defense wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Troy vs. Rui

I am always dubious when people excuse players poor performance by saying the coach isn't using him right.

Rui is an undersized, score-first PF who hasn't done much in his four years in the NBA and may not be good enough to start on a good team. Like a lot of middle-of-the-pack NBA players, he probably isn't good enough for teams to focus on what works best for him and for teammates to look for him; Rui will have to figure out how to be productive in a scheme based on what works best for the team.

I don't know what offensive scheme you were watching... but I saw Dennis pound the ball while AD tried to free himself while Vando hovered around the paint and two players stood uselessly in the corners.

Stark contrast to some of the Warriors ball movement.

I mean AD was balling, so I get why Ham would do it this way... but it didn't seem like much coaching was going on other than penetrate and dish it to AD.

All I said was it would help if they gave Rui some regular looks or run a few plays for him... in the same way I'd say that about Thomas Bryant.

I mean Bryant did way better than Rui when AD was out so maybe that's the problem... but it's not like I'm building a strong case for keeping him... I'm just telling you what I see.
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject:

Rui needs to be more aggressive.
Rui needs to learn how to go after rebounds more.
Not sure why guys his size don't jump after every shot.
I have faith in him but he needs to be more aggressive instead of passive at times. I want to see him crash the boards.
Lakers have too many guys that don't look to rebound. Vando is the only one with Davis who can grab rebounds...
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:49 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
Rui needs to be more aggressive.
Rui needs to learn how to go after rebounds more.
Not sure why guys his size don't jump after every shot.
I have faith in him but he needs to be more aggressive instead of passive at times. I want to see him crash the boards.
Lakers have too many guys that don't look to rebound. Vando is the only one with Davis who can grab rebounds...

I think Gabriel gives good effort there he’s just undersized
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

if we can keep him for the QO amount, we should do it. i think as a foreign player especially Asian, there is no better place than Los Angeles.

I’m not saying that you’re trying to insinuate this, but I’ll just say that I don’t want to keep a player based on ethnicity

He has all the tools he needs to use them
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:43 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
miggz23 wrote:

I’m not saying that you’re trying to insinuate this, but I’ll just say that I don’t want to keep a player based on ethnicity

He has all the tools he needs to use them

I think he was trying to say that for Rui it would be a good idea to stay even if he gets less money, due to the fact that if he comes out with some crappy shoes people might buy it because the asian laker fanbase is HUGE.

I think he is better served as the 7th player on the team.

LeBron
Davis
Dlo
Reaves
Vando
Troy
Rui

He should be expecting 8-12m per year.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject:

BILBJH wrote:
activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
defense wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Troy vs. Rui

I don't know what offensive scheme you were watching... but I saw Dennis pound the ball while AD tried to free himself while Vando hovered around the paint and two players stood uselessly in the corners.

Stark contrast to some of the Warriors ball movement.

I mean AD was balling, so I get why Ham would do it this way... but it didn't seem like much coaching was going on other than penetrate and dish it to AD.

All I said was it would help if they gave Rui some regular looks or run a few plays for him... in the same way I'd say that about Thomas Bryant.

I mean Bryant did way better than Rui when AD was out so maybe that's the problem... but it's not like I'm building a strong case for keeping him... I'm just telling you what I see.

Yesterday Cranjis post 8n YouTube what offense Ham is running. Missing Golden Throat.

Double Drag Series
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
defense wrote:
BILBJH wrote:
King Randle wrote:

Troy vs. Rui

With all due respect, that statement doesn't make sense, imo. You're saying that Rui should be forced into a role that doesn't use his strengths, and highlights his weaknesses, because this is the best way for him to "...figure out how to be productive in a scheme based on what works best for the team."? If the coaches share that same philosophy, then we're screwed.

Ideally, the Lakers should have known the kind of player Rui was, BEFORE they traded for him. If they wanted another player like Troy, or Vando, then they made a mistake. Rui is not a 3pt shooter, like Troy. Nor a hustle energy player, like Vando. He's a skill player, who works the best in the low-to-high-post area, where he can use his combination of size/strength/athleticism to either get to the basket, or take midrange shots. And, with the absence of LeBron, there should be plenty of opportunities for him to get some plays run for him.

The fact that he's strugglign is on Ham and the coaching staff. If you're not going to use him properly, then what was the point of getting him. Could have kept those 3 second round picks. Or, traded for Cam Reddish, instead.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject:

@sonic, it takes two to tango. The knicks got Josh Hart for Reddish. For Nunn,
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
@sonic, it takes two to tango. The knicks got Josh Hart for Reddish. For Nunn,

Understood, and agreed. At the time, the rumor was the Knicks were open to moving Reddish for multiple second round picks. That was before Hart became available, as far as I know.

That said, I'm higher on Rui than I am on Reddish. And, despite the struggles, I still believe in Rui. The real question is, does Ham believe in Rui. And, does he have a plan to use him effectively. If Ham is insistent on shoehorning Rui into a Troy/Vando type role on the team...then, Rui won't be here for long. If that turns out to be the case, I'd personally hate it. But, I'm not the coach of the team.

Might see Rui moved in a s&t in the offseason, if manageable. Pretty sure the Lakers wouldn't want to see him walk for nothing if they can help it. Try to recoup at least some of those lost assets.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject:

He was good tonight.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:27 pm    Post subject:

He killed it. If we look for him he can deliver.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Good game Rui

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:35 pm    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
He killed it. If we look for him he can deliver.

^^This.^^ Rui was much better, tonight. And, that was with the team still not running anything for him, other than one, maybe two plays. Given the chance, Rui can be way more impactful for this team.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:36 pm    Post subject:

Good thing he showed uo in this inportant game
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject:

I truly believe he knew the gravity of this game in Laker Lore and Fandom
He knew every Japanese Lakers Fan would be tuned in for PauKobe and he had to deliver

I loved watching him.. he telegraphs the ball
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Much more aggressive tonight. Love to see it.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:46 pm    Post subject:

Big shots
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject:

No way you let this guy walk... Potential is still there. I think he still finding his fit with the team.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject:

Instead of trying to think he can be some 3&D guy, Ham should really find ways to get Rui sots in the mid range.. dude is money in there.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Mark it down - this guy will be important in a playoff setting. Being able to get his shot off from midrange will be a big deal.

Would like to see him get more post looks.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Rui was very solid on both ends tonight.
IMO this was his best game as a Laker so far. Hopefully he keeps it up.

STATS: 17 Pts, 6 Rbs, +22

Last edited by pio2u on Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 95, 96, 97  Next
Page 41 of 97
Jump to: