RUI HACHIMURA (3yr, $51M)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 95, 96, 97  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject:

alleyoop wrote:
Getting Kuz vibes, from an offensive standpoint - i.e. if he gets touches, he can really cook

I think Kuz can really heat up and explode, I don't think Rui is that kind of an explosive scorer. Rui does seem to have a more varied offense particularly in the mid-range.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 9:48 am    Post subject:

Got out of position twice defensively and gave up straight line drives, but other than that he was excellent. Couldn’t have asked for more in his first game.
LakerFan1987
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:08 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Dude is as big as LeBron, not slow either, decent shooter... just match PatBev, AD, DS, Reaves' defensive intensity

He's well built for sure.

6'8" with a 7'2 wingspan

Can easily be a small ball 4
LAKERMIKE2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:18 am    Post subject:

Rudy Gay 2.0

Doesn’t anyone else see or compare the two?

All around player who can do everything very good & be a key player at any time of the game. Rui’s game has plenty of ceiling & hopefully it’s as a Laker for a long time. He will only get better if the ball keeps moving, ya hear that LBJ & Russ…
HC: Riley
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:19 am    Post subject:

LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
Rudy Gay 2.0

All around player who can do everything very good & be a key player at any time of the game. Rui’s game has plenty of ceiling & hopefully it’s as a Laker for a long time. He will only get better if the ball keeps moving, ya hear that LBJ & Russ…

good one, Rudy Gay
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:25 am    Post subject:

Coach Handy thinks Rui reminds him of someone he coached in Toronto. Haha. C'mon coach. Not you too!

I do see the hand size and movement on offense that are similar.
But Kawhi was on another level on defense.
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 10:39 am    Post subject:

scout_0 wrote:
Deandre Hunter was picked #4 and has identical numbers to Rui, but no one is calling an underschiever right?

13.8 ppg
44% FG
36% 3pt

What in the name of sanity are you talking about? The discussion about Deandre Hunter is whether he is an outright bust or whether he might still break out. He has actually played a little better this year, but he has still been a flop. The fact that Atlanta didn't extend him and is letting him go into his RFA year tells you what you need to know.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
After getting traded from the Washington Wizards, Rui Hachimura made his debut for the Los Angeles Lakers last night. The interest to watch the Japanese forward’s first game with the new team was so high that the country’s only official streaming service went down. Hachimura’s first game as a Laker was scheduled to start at 12:30 Japan time. With only around 10 minutes left before the match, the country’s only official streaming service, NBA Rakuten, went down. – via BasketNews

LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:08 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:
After getting traded from the Washington Wizards, Rui Hachimura made his debut for the Los Angeles Lakers last night. The interest to watch the Japanese forward’s first game with the new team was so high that the country’s only official streaming service went down. Hachimura’s first game as a Laker was scheduled to start at 12:30 Japan time. With only around 10 minutes left before the match, the country’s only official streaming service, NBA Rakuten, went down. – via BasketNews

‼️

Laker brand still squashes any other NBA team.
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:23 am    Post subject:

He reminds me of Marcus Morris offensively.

Their postgame and midrange are so similar. Hopefully he can be as effective as him on the offensive side.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:24 am    Post subject:

Legion Hoops
@LegionHoops

Rui Hachimura:

“Lakers is literally the most famous team in Japan... as a country we're so happy about this move.”

(h/t
@LakersDailyCom
)
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:29 am    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:
Quote:

That Japan hype is real!
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:30 am    Post subject:

onepinoyboy8 wrote:
He reminds me of Marcus Morris offensively.

Their postgame and midrange are so similar. Hopefully he can be as effective as him on the offensive side.

Yup. He's got a lot of the Morris twins to his game.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Legion Hoops
@LegionHoops

Rui Hachimura:

“Lakers is literally the most famous team in Japan... as a country we're so happy about this move.”

(h/t
@LakersDailyCom
)

Us too Japan, us too
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:31 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Love the confidence that he is “that” level of player to impact the game.

Don’t get me wrong, I would be thrilled to see him step into the lineup and become an impact player. A solid starter in the same conversation as A. Gordon, Wiggins, or T. Harris when given the opportunity to play.

But I need to see it. Not just assume that his underachieving so far in his career is due to team mismanagement, not his own shortcomings on the court.

He has an opportunity. Prove it.

The funny thing is that 13PPG 50% FG 40% 3PT is NOT underachieving

He is WAY better than Jeremi Grant on offense (except this season he is on steroids shooting like 50% FG and 40% 3pt...insane).

When Jeremi was being HELD back these were his numbers:

12PPG 48% FG 38% 3PT

IDENTICAL to Rui Except...Rui passes the eye test WAY WAY easier than Grant. Grant has great physical attributes along with shooter but he doesn't have the ISO abilities that Tatum and Ingram have at that size. Rui does. It is like fighting in the UFC, if you have JJS, when you get knocked out you can fight off your back until you recover. These guys have the fadeaway and mid range shot. Grant does not have this. Panchero or whatever from orlando does.

With Rui going up vs LeBron and Davis every day and Beverly telling him to attack, I expect nothing less than a star.

I fell in love with Tatum and Ingram..Same thing with Rui when he was draft but Wash Mishandled it and they will pay for their mistake. They gave away a potential superstar in a league where theres only about 10 players with his mid range game and all thsoe players are stars

As I stated, I will be thrilled if he seizes this opportunity and plays to the level you are describing.

Not sure how you define “underachieving”. But the young man was a #9 pick in the draft. He was there because of a stellar college career. I’m guessing the Wiz were expecting more from him than he delivered. And the price paid to get him does not reflect a player living up to his potential and expectations.

Thus.. “underachieving”. IMO. Your example of Grant is what I would consider an overachiever. A 2nd round pick that has carved out a nice career for himself.

I liked what I saw. I will be rooting for him to take on a bigger role and impact then he has delivered so far in his young career. Up to him now.

2nd round pick you say!
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:48 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
LAKERMIKE2 wrote:
Rudy Gay 2.0

good one, Rudy Gay

Marcus Morris
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:53 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
MJST wrote:
Legion Hoops
@LegionHoops

Rui Hachimura:

(h/t
@LakersDailyCom
)

Us too Japan, us too

https://sportslockr.com/the-most-popular-nba-teams-in-the-world/
lakers are the most famous NBA team in every continent except Oceania
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject:

Seems like Phil getting his fill in from that kookaid he has in hand.

https://twitter.com/pickuphoop/status/1618659439707590657

I gotta see a lot more defense against legitimate title contenders to start drinking from that cup, but if that’s the case then it’s gonna get expensive keeping dude here.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:01 pm    Post subject:

vasashi17+ wrote:

I gotta see a lot more defense against legitimate title contenders to start drinking from that cup, but if that’s the case then it’s gonna get expensive keeping dude here.

If he’s that good, then he’s absolute worth it. That’s basically a home run free agent signing at that point.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

If he’s that good, then he’s absolute worth it. That’s basically a home run free agent signing at that point.

A good problem to have, if it happens. Unlikely it happens between now, and resigning him next season. We'll see.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:08 pm    Post subject:

sonic the laker wrote:
Megaton wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

A good problem to have, if it happens. Unlikely it happens between now, and resigning him next season. We'll see.

I don’t expect him to be star, nor should be the expectation. But what if he provides what he did last night consistently? Then that trade was a much needed home run.
sonic the laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Megaton wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

I don’t expect him to be star, nor should be the expectation. But what if he provides what he did last night consistently? Then that trade was a much needed home run.

Don't get me wrong. The trade for Rui was a much needed homerun, period. Love the move for all kinds of reasons. Just seeing a lot of posts worrying if the Lakers are going to be able to keep Rui, if he pans out. Saw some projections where people are assuming it may cost the Lakers around $20ish million a year to keep him. Absolutely not.

Realistically speaking, if Rui maintains his career averages with the Lakers for the remainder of the season, he should be able to be resigned somewhere around 10 mil/year. No more than 12 mil, imo. Those numbers are more reasonable.

The only way that changes is if he averages 20+ pts (with sizeable increases in his stats across the board), becomes a top tier defender, makes the all star team, and is the Finals MVP as the Lakers win another title. Impossible? No. But, HIGHLY unlikely.
scout_0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:22 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
scout_0 wrote:
I think I ranked Rui 2nd in his draft

6"8 wings with his isolation skills and shooting are rare. Wait till you guys see his kobe fadeaways. He is like a Kawhi Clone. And rhe numbers are not bad 14ppg on 48% and 40% 3pt.

Hopefully this is the right situation

kawhi clone without the ball handling and defense

Phil Handy said he reminds him on KAwhi also. Everyone says this, it's insane that Washington never really gave him a change. This kid is already a star when you look at his game he just needs direction. Go get 25 tonight and he can go and do it. But you need to encourage him. He can do it against anyone, I seen him body up anyone from Anthony Davis to KAwhi to Gobert. He is sick. He is just not selfish enough and this is why people say he underachieved.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
sonic the laker wrote:
Megaton wrote:
vasashi17+ wrote:

Yup..

Also, I think he will provide more than he did last night on a consistent basis. Last night it took him a bit to get settled in and only played 20 minutes. I think he is a 15 ton18ppg type going forward this season and probably more next.
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Japanese players and people tend to be obsessed with big markets like New York and Los Angeles.

It's why their streaming service crashed.

My guess is it wasn't crashing while he was in Washington.

I think we have the inside track on resigning him even for less and he'll have better endorsement opportunities if he plays for the Lakers.

I just hope he can live up to the hype... because some people are going to create a mini Linsanity situation here.

Just hope for good solid production and I think we'll get it.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 95, 96, 97  Next
Page 25 of 97
Jump to: