Is the record more Important than a Win ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 7:00 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Season is over. Nothing to play for the rest of the season. .

Huh? They are just 2 games out of making the play-in.

They have plenty of time to make the playoffs, and at that point anything can happen.

Only two games out but need to jump three teams. One that just dominated you at home while the team celebrated.

I’ll be more optimistic they can earn a play in spot when they start consistently winning games. I have to see it. Really don’t care how scary they or fans think the Lakers can be in the playoffs. It is all noise!

Win some games. Last night was a lost opportunity. Just like so many others this season.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject:

The thing is Kareem was in the house and the NBA commissioner so I guess they had to make sure he broke the record that night even if it meant disrupting the game plan..as you noticed AD didn't get a lot of touches.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject:

People paid a ton of money for Thursday night tickets. I hope the Lakers put a show on for them.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:16 am    Post subject:

Props to EEP (acronym) I know he lurks here on the dope video he did for last night's celebration. The crown was nice.
loseyourname
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:17 am    Post subject:

There seem to be at least two different questions being addressed here. The first is just the one in the title, is the all-time scoring record more important than an individual game? That answer seems like an obvious yes to me. Nobody is going to remember a random game in February out of 1230 games in an NBA regular season, not a year from now, definitely not 40 years from now. The scoring record will still matter. That single shot will be on posters, highlight shows, documentaries, possibly a statue someday. Nobody will care that a bad team might have missed the playoffs by one game more than otherwise because they played bad that night, too.

The other question that a lot of people seem to be answering is whether it's worth it to sacrifice a win to get that scoring record in a particular game. I'd say of course not. He was going to get it at some point this season no matter what barring catastrophic injury, and every game counts. But this is like the "why did you hit your wife" question. By answering in this way, you're implying the team lost because of LeBron setting a scoring record. I don't see how that's the case. They lost because they're undersized, have bad ball handlers, and can't defend. It's a bad team in general. No depth. Anthony Davis has not been the same since returning and was particularly bad last night. None of that has anything to do with LeBron or the record.

A third implied question here seems to be whether the record is worth celebrating if the team loses. Yes, obviously yes. This is history. It has happened twice in my lifetime and it's probably the last time in my lifetime. The moment deserves to get recognition. Does it feel just a little bit cheaper because the team sucks and lost yet another very close, winnable game and is probably going to miss the playoffs? Sure, in the moment. But I doubt anyone is going to look back and give a crap from the future. It's worth having some perspective. Think back to when Cal Ripken Jr. set the all-time consecutive games played streak. Bill Clinton, Al Gore, and Joe DiMaggio all attended. DiMaggio and Ripken both spoke after the game. The game, the moment, the man, and the record will live forever in the minds of baseball fans. Does anyone remember or care that the Orioles missed the playoffs that year?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:24 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
An individual record in a team game means nothing

I think the players who just got a million-dollar bonus for making the All-Star team would chuckle at that one.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:45 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
An individual record in a team game means nothing

I think the players who just got a million-dollar bonus for making the All-Star team would chuckle at that one.

Popularity contests mean even less
Treble Clef
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:36 am    Post subject:

ingle wrote:
To me it was cringy how they stopped the game to hold that little sham ceremony to feed Lebron's ego while the game was still going on.

All Lebron, nothing at all Laker associated at all during that thing. Magic standing there like he's just a happy to be there intern. Disgusting

And as expected Lebron completely checked out afterwards and faked an injury after the record was secured.

Breaking the record was inevitable so it isn’t really a choice of which one is more important. He did not have to lose the game in order to set the record. It’s a career accomplishment and tons of those points came in wins and a ton came in losses so it isn’t really significant to the record whether they won or lost this particular one.

Historically, becoming the all time leading scorer is a much more significant event than a regular season loss with 2 months left in the season, but one event affects the Lakers playoff picture this season but the other doesn’t.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject:

The night would've been more awesome had they won. We will probably never see another NBA player breaking this record but theres a reason why team sports celebrates victories. It so much more cooler when everyone has a good feeling.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:06 am    Post subject:

No, it was a crucial game with serious playoff implications, I can care less about the individual records in NBA. When the team loses, there’s really nothing to be happy about.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:14 am    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1623380511573041152?s=20&t=m81fWbua_zcr6_C-4aA5IA
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
No, it was a crucial game with serious playoff implications, I can care less about the individual records in NBA. When the team loses, there’s really nothing to be happy about.

LeBron and the people he is close to are understandably enjoying what he did. That was a huge accomplishment. I'm not happy it was Lebron necessarily that did it but I'm happy I got to see a Lakers player do something so historic and epic. It doesn't matter to me who it is.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:45 pm    Post subject:

The fact that they stopped the game to have a ceremony for LeBron right after he broke the record left a sore taste in my mouth. They could have done it during the break between the quarters or after the game. He may be one of the greatest players, but nobody is bigger than the game. I would have said the same about any other player who's ever played.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: