MO BAMBA to Philly (pg 37)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakesGnrLake
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
To me, Bamba is basically the end product of letting Caruso walk.

Lakers picked THT over AC.

Traded THT for Bev.

Traded Bev for Mo.

Here we are.

Caruso for Bamba?? Who "would" have said no? Lakers are so desperate for a C I think it's worth trying him out again with a full summer under our watch.

Last edited by LakesGnrLake on Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:47 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
I’m not sure why Lakers would give up on Mo Bamba that quickly. To me, it seemed like he fit in and was a big shot blocker, and could stretch the floor with his threes. Isn’t that exactly what we need? He’s still young. Unless they saw something in practice we didn’t. Not enough of a sample size.

He shot 31% from 3 and averaged 0.6 blocks per game. If you can bring him back cheap then go for it but don’t waste resources on him.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
textbook wrote:
I’m not sure why Lakers would give up on Mo Bamba that quickly. To me, it seemed like he fit in and was a big shot blocker, and could stretch the floor with his threes. Isn’t that exactly what we need? He’s still young. Unless they saw something in practice we didn’t. Not enough of a sample size.

He shot 31% from 3 and averaged 0.6 blocks per game. If you can bring him back cheap then go for it but don’t waste resources on him.

I agree. I know he was hurt and it was a small sample size but 2 years $6 million with an out clause for him is reasonable. At some point this summer we’re going to learn that AD had foot surgery to fix his foot and we need insurance.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:46 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

The sample size is obviously way too small there. He was 5-16. He shot 39.8% from three in Orlando before the trade. And 38.1% from three last season, while taking 4 per game. He can shoot.

He averaged 0.6 blocks, in under 10 minutes. His blocks per 36 minutes was 2.0, which is down from his career numbers of 2.7/36. Last year he averaged 1.7 blocks in 25.7 minutes.

I doubt Mo is back, because they never seemed to want to give him any time with AD. And as a 10 minute a night backup guy he's too expensive. But I also don't think he really got much of a chance here before he got hurt. Last year in Orlando he averaged 10.6 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, and 1.2 assists in 25.6 minutes while shooting 38.1% from three. He's better than what he showed in limited minutes here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:53 am    Post subject:

IF we don't draft Lively, or trade for Myle, or sign Naz or Brook with the MLE, I would certainly be open to bringing him back on something like a 2 year, 8m total deal (2nd year team option). I think he can be a 12-14mpg center at worst for us.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 5:30 pm    Post subject:

King Randle wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
textbook wrote:

I agree. I know he was hurt and it was a small sample size but 2 years $6 million with an out clause for him is reasonable. At some point this summer we’re going to learn that AD had foot surgery to fix his foot and we need insurance.

I know Mo seems like a risk but you just gave the reason why we should place more value on him. We’re either gonna have to keep him or replace him, and likely with only the vet min to do so. We need someone with his skill set that can play both instead of AD and with AD.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:54 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
IF we don't draft Lively, or trade for Myle, or sign Naz or Brook with the MLE, I would certainly be open to bringing him back on something like a 2 year, 8m total deal (2nd year team option). I think he can be a 12-14mpg center at worst for us.

From your post to Pelinka’s ear.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject:

We have hardly had a chance to look at him. I’d like to bring him back.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject:

Mo Bamba Discusses Severity Of High Ankle Sprain That Kept Him Out Most Of Lakers Tenure

https://lakersnation.com/mo-bamba-discusses-severity-of-high-ankle-sprain-that-kept-him-out-most-of-lakers-tenure/

Insider Anticipates How Lakers Will Handle Mo Bamba's Non-Guaranteed 2023-24 Money
Will the Lakers retain their little-used reserved center?

https://www.si.com/nba/lakers/news/insider-anticipates-how-lakers-will-handle-mo-bambas-non-guaranteed-2023-24-money-ak1987
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject:

If those stats of him hitting 3s and able to block are true then maybe we can save that draft pick instead of lively go when a big wing that can defend the perimeter. Look him not playing is on the Coach. Also the sample size is too low. Think of it like this he could be Rui..But what if Rui got hurt a couple of days before coming hiere. We would have the same saying of "Get rid of him"....while missing what he can actually do.

However, its also on Ham to not be his idiot self and play small. We had DJ didnt use him...he wasnt good though but. We had TB and instead of putting TB and AD in at the same time..nope he rather have Gab or TB coming back off the bench...smh. The front office going to have to bring Ham in and say play who we bring in atelaast to see what they can do...smh..which is prob mind blowing...but he is a idiot sooooo.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 5:53 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

The sample size is obviously way too small there. He was 5-16. He shot 39.8% from three in Orlando before the trade. And 38.1% from three last season, while taking 4 per game. He can shoot.

He averaged 0.6 blocks, in under 10 minutes. His blocks per 36 minutes was 2.0, which is down from his career numbers of 2.7/36. Last year he averaged 1.7 blocks in 25.7 minutes.

I doubt Mo is back, because they never seemed to want to give him any time with AD. And as a 10 minute a night backup guy he's too expensive. But I also don't think he really got much of a chance here before he got hurt. Last year in Orlando he averaged 10.6 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.7 blocks, and 1.2 assists in 25.6 minutes while shooting 38.1% from three. He's better than what he showed in limited minutes here.

THIS. If you could find a big that blocks shots and shoots 38% plus on threes? I think it would be crazy not to give this guy a whole year at least as back up center. For 10 mil? I really think front office will look at bigger picture here.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

THIS. If you could find a big that blocks shots and shoots 38% plus on threes? I think it would be crazy not to give this guy a whole year at least as back up center. For 10 mil? I really think front office will look at bigger picture here.

I don't think we should give him $10m. He would be hard pressed to get half that on the free agent market.

I would be open to 2 years at $4-5m/year.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:32 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think we should give him $10m. He would be hard pressed to get half that on the free agent market.

I would be open to 2 years at $4-5m/year.

We would need to use the MLE or BAE to do that, and I think we have other priorities for those exceptions. I don't think that Bamba would sign for the minimum, and we wouldn't have his Bird rights. V+ and I debated this previously, but Pincus' discussion of the Chris Paul situation appears to confirm my reading of the CBA:

Quote:
Eric Pincus
@EricPincus
If the Suns stretch him, they cannot re-sign him this summer. If they just waive him without stretch, they can re-sign him though they won't have his rights. Can be at the minimum, if that was something both sides wanted.

Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:40 am    Post subject:

Aeneas, pretty sure you’re right about the need for exception and loss of bird rights. One other feature in this situation, if LA did resign Mo, even to a minimum deal, they would have his full bird rights next summer (its an oddity of the CBA that they reconstitute).

If we did keep Bamba on his current deal, I wonder if they might alter the guarantee date. You’d need to guarantee some part of it up front I imagine (maybe like $5m). But that way you could keep him in the fold, see if he fits next year, and still have cost saving options if it came to that.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:41 am    Post subject:

JustaObserver wrote:
If those stats of him hitting 3s and able to block are true then maybe we can save that draft pick instead of lively go when a big wing that can defend the perimeter. Look him not playing is on the Coach. Also the sample size is too low. Think of it like this he could be Rui..But what if Rui got hurt a couple of days before coming hiere. We would have the same saying of "Get rid of him"....while missing what he can actually do.

However, its also on Ham to not be his idiot self and play small. We had DJ didnt use him...he wasnt good though but. We had TB and instead of putting TB and AD in at the same time..nope he rather have Gab or TB coming back off the bench...smh. The front office going to have to bring Ham in and say play who we bring in atelaast to see what they can do...smh..which is prob mind blowing...but he is a idiot sooooo.

He made it to the WCF in his rookie year of coaching. He was a final four coach in in his first year. There were twenty six or so head coaches who didn't make it that far. Got to at least give the man some credit besides calling him an idiot.

That said, it still stinks to high basketball heaven that he hasn't at least tried to run Bamba with AD. It's funny because as a coach the first thing I would have done is give those two some serious run together to see how I could utilize them. Especially against a beast the size of Jokic.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:58 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
That said, it still stinks to high basketball heaven that he hasn't at least tried to run Bamba with AD. It's funny because as a coach the first thing I would have done is give those two some serious run together to see how I could utilize them. Especially against a beast the size of Jokic.

The whole Bamba experience was odd. Maybe it was the injury, maybe it was an attitude issue. So far, nothing much has leaked out to my knowledge. Here are some fresh comments on him:

Quote:
After a pre-deadline deal brought Mo Bamba to L.A. for Patrick Beverley, who joined the Lakers this offseason in a swap for Talen Horton-Tucker, hopes were high for the Harlem native with a 7’10 wingspan and solid shooting stroke to step in as the team’s sorely needed second big.

Instead, Bamba made it into just his seventh game with the team before suffering a high-ankle sprain that derailed the remainder of his season and postseason. In total, Bamba spent just 88 minutes on the floor for the Lakers (74 outside of garbage time), which was fewer than Matt Ryan, Damian Jones, Juan Toscano-Anderson, and 16 other players this season.

Quote:
Despite a low motor that seemed to prevent him from consistent playing time, even before his injury in March, Bamba’s sheer size helped keep the Lakers’ defense solid during low-stakes regular season basketball. Since entering the league, Bamba’s defensive rebounding and block rates have hovered around the league’s upper quartile. Due to his sneaky length, Bamba didn’t scare off drivers from getting up attempts, but he did contest almost 40% of shots around the rim while on the floor, according to the B-Ball Index. Even when he failed to actually block shots, his ability to invade attacking players’ comfort zone made finishing at the rim more difficult than it otherwise would have been.

Quote:
One of the Lakers’ top priorities this offseason should be to find a credible center to support the team’s defense during Anthony Davis’ absence. But it would be even better if they can find one who can play beside him too (especially given the success of the short-lived Wenyen Gabriel-AD lineups). Bamba, hypothetically speaking, still has that ability in spades.

Quote:
That being said, Bamba has yet to play any meaningful playoff minutes in his career, being limited to less than a quarter’s worth of forgettable garbage time in this year’s series against Memphis. I am skeptical that even his length could have slowed the avalanche that was Nikola Jokic on his own, even if paired with Davis. Bamba is relatively frail and would have struggled with the physicality of the best offensive player in the world, and maybe with the playoffs in general.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2023/6/8/23750390/mo-bamba-injury-lakers-free-agent-contract-team-option-season-review
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:12 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

The whole Bamba experience was odd. Maybe it was the injury, maybe it was an attitude issue. So far, nothing much has leaked out to my knowledge. Here are some fresh comments on him:

Quote:
After a pre-deadline deal brought Mo Bamba to L.A. for Patrick Beverley, who joined the Lakers this offseason in a swap for Talen Horton-Tucker, hopes were high for the Harlem native with a 7’10 wingspan and solid shooting stroke to step in as the team’s sorely needed second big.

Instead, Bamba made it into just his seventh game with the team before suffering a high-ankle sprain that derailed the remainder of his season and postseason. In total, Bamba spent just 88 minutes on the floor for the Lakers (74 outside of garbage time), which was fewer than Matt Ryan, Damian Jones, Juan Toscano-Anderson, and 16 other players this season.

Quote:
Despite a low motor that seemed to prevent him from consistent playing time, even before his injury in March, Bamba’s sheer size helped keep the Lakers’ defense solid during low-stakes regular season basketball. Since entering the league, Bamba’s defensive rebounding and block rates have hovered around the league’s upper quartile. Due to his sneaky length, Bamba didn’t scare off drivers from getting up attempts, but he did contest almost 40% of shots around the rim while on the floor, according to the B-Ball Index. Even when he failed to actually block shots, his ability to invade attacking players’ comfort zone made finishing at the rim more difficult than it otherwise would have been.

Quote:
One of the Lakers’ top priorities this offseason should be to find a credible center to support the team’s defense during Anthony Davis’ absence. But it would be even better if they can find one who can play beside him too (especially given the success of the short-lived Wenyen Gabriel-AD lineups). Bamba, hypothetically speaking, still has that ability in spades.

Quote:
That being said, Bamba has yet to play any meaningful playoff minutes in his career, being limited to less than a quarter’s worth of forgettable garbage time in this year’s series against Memphis. I am skeptical that even his length could have slowed the avalanche that was Nikola Jokic on his own, even if paired with Davis. Bamba is relatively frail and would have struggled with the physicality of the best offensive player in the world, and maybe with the playoffs in general.

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2023/6/8/23750390/mo-bamba-injury-lakers-free-agent-contract-team-option-season-review

The injury really hurt.

Amazing how this writer neglects that Jokic struggled the most against us than in any other series and of the 5 times he shot under 50% three of them was vs us. That was with Hachimura and Davis defending him.

If they don't think Bamba's rim protection, floor spacing or length could have at least bothered more Jokic shots or been a difference in games which were decided by 1 possession 3 out of the 4 times. It's an interesting take to say the least.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:49 pm    Post subject:

LakesGnrLake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Traded THT for Bev.

Traded Bev for Mo.

Here we are.

Caruso for Bamba?? Who "would" have said no? Lakers are so desperate for a C I think it's worth trying him out again with a full summer under our watch.

The worst part of the sequence of events is the bolded. We could've had both. FO didn't want to cough up the $.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:11 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The injury really hurt.

Amazing how this writer neglects that Jokic struggled the most against us than in any other series and of the 5 times he shot under 50% three of them was vs us. That was with Hachimura and Davis defending him.

If they don't think Bamba's rim protection, floor spacing or length could have at least bothered more Jokic shots or been a difference in games which were decided by 1 possession 3 out of the 4 times. It's an interesting take to say the least.

Jokic struggled in the Laker series? I wish AD could struggle like that.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:12 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Traded THT for Bev.

Traded Bev for Mo.

Here we are.

The worst part of the sequence of events is the bolded. We could've had both. FO didn't want to cough up the $.

The worst part was that Rob played politics and ended up screwing the Lakers
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 9:21 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
kikanga wrote:
LakesGnrLake wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Traded THT for Bev.

Traded Bev for Mo.

Here we are.

The worst part was that Rob played politics and ended up screwing the Lakers

Screwing up to wcf ... Id take it..

How u feel about ur clippers turning Shai and million picks for always injured PG? 😂
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
textbook wrote:

The stats given are for 9 games with a new team. Using a larger sample size Mo shot from 3 with Orlando …38% in 71 games last year and 40% in 40 games this year…excellent from 3pt range. He also averaged 1.7 and 1.0 blocks per game over the same time period.

It is important to consider with higher regard the most recent history with the most recent team…I get that…but the sample size must be taken into context for a better picture. The stats for the 9 games in LA could be an indication of decline, but given his age (25), Mo is more likely to return to what he had been doing more consistently over the last two seasons and that’s 38% from 3pt range with 1.4 blocks per game.

I’d take the risk, it looks like it will be worth it given how that type of production fits with the Lakers’ team needs. Factor in the difficulty for the price it has been to find a back up for AD…that could spread the floor and protect the rim…and bringing back Mo seems like a good plan, especially if we can decline his $10m guarantee and resign him for $4mish BAE.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:44 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
textbook wrote:

The stats given are for 9 games with a new team. Using a larger sample size Mo shot from 3 with Orlando …38% in 71 games last year and 40% in 40 games this year…excellent from 3pt range. He also averaged 1.7 and 1.0 blocks per game over the same time period.

It is important to consider with higher regard the most recent history with the most recent team…I get that…but the sample size must be taken into context for a better picture. The stats for the 9 games in LA could be an indication of decline, but given his age (25), Mo is more likely to return to what he had been doing more consistently over the last two seasons and that’s 38% from 3pt range with 1.4 blocks per game.

I’d take the risk, it looks like it will be worth it given how that type of production fits with the Lakers’ team needs. Factor in the difficulty for the price it has been to find a back up for AD…that could spread the floor and protect the rim…and bringing back Mo seems like a good plan, especially if we can decline his $10m guarantee and resign him for $4mish BAE.

Mo mentioned in the summer he was going to work on complimenting his game playing with Bron and AD. Implying he’s coming back. Maybe he’s been told they intend on bringing him back. We’ll know on 6/29.
ArminNBA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Bamba/17 for O’Neale/21 is interesting, especially if the Lakers know they can sign a Center in free agency with the NTMLE.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:11 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/mcten/status/1668693507035512832?s=46&t=U-n_231mY-MLKHZr1Z-7og

Mo working out at the lakers facility. They should have him work out against bigs from the draft like Lively. We’ll see what happens 06/29.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 36 of 38
Jump to: