Polarbear wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
pio2u wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
Walker looks so unhappy. yikes
"he'll be aiight"

Who cares, he sucks.

Wish the Lakers could have flipped him for a 3rd PG and 3rd C...unless he outplays TBjr at SF or Reaves at SG he is out of the rotation.

Little bit of meat left on the bone, but still an awesome trade deadline
We basically transformed our whole team

Yep, agree..I'm being unreasonable greedy asking for more! Got a good get!

I mean you can ask lol
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:10 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Vanderbilt looks like a real steal. Rob's redeemed himself. If we make the playoff/in I don't think any team wants to face us.

Nah...no redemption yet because the delay may have cost the season. If the team makes the post season then yea, Shawshank for Rob for sure.

Delay in what the free agency deadline is the free agency deadline. We don’t know that this package was available to us earlier.

People speculate, but we don’t really know

I don’t think the Minny part was available earlier. I think Towns being hurt and Rudy struggling without Conley helped things

The Jazz side likely wasn’t available early either. There’s a reason most deals don’t happen unless it’s before the season or right near the deadline. Teams explore and ask for the world until there’s an actual time crunch and a risk they’ll not be able to make a deal. The Jazz deal a couple months ago probably had Ainge asking for both picks and Reaves/Max.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Malik Beasley with only eight points, but I felt like it was an efficient eight

I don’t want him to come in to LA and just start chucking I like that he’s looking to be efficient
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
LakerLand247 wrote:
Walker looks so unhappy. yikes

We can’t keep him, so whatever. His play didn’t warrant minutes since his game didn’t match what we need. His defense was truly awful and his three ball was iffy and he is just too small.

We had a chance to trade him at the 11th hour but choose to keep him, even dumping him for a couple of seconds would have been good for both parties, I could see Lonnie’s agent asking for a buy out for his client

Did anyone want him? Why would they? Trading for him doesn’t give them an edge to sign him since they wouldn’t have his bird rights either. There was no reason for a team to trade for him unless they thought he would save their season, and he isn’t that kind of player. Zero reason for anyone to give up any kind of asset to trade for him. He was only useful as salary ballast in a trade.
daytripper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:15 pm    Post subject:

Gee the Lakers add 4 legit roleplaying NBA players to their rotation and they suddenly look much better. Who woulda thunk?
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Vanderbilt looks like a real steal. Rob's redeemed himself. If we make the playoff/in I don't think any team wants to face us.

Nah...no redemption yet because the delay may have cost the season. If the team makes the post season then yea, Shawshank for Rob for sure.

Delay in what the free agency deadline is the free agency deadline. We don’t know that this package was available to us earlier.

I don’t think the Minny part was available earlier. I think Towns being hurt and Rudy struggling without Conley helped things

The Jazz side likely wasn’t available early either. There’s a reason most deals don’t happen unless it’s before the season or right near the deadline. Teams explore and ask for the world until there’s an actual time crunch and a risk they’ll not be able to make a deal. The Jazz deal a couple months ago probably had Ainge asking for both picks and Reaves/Max.

Come on guys, you know exactly what I'm getting at...I'm glad we got the guys we got for the price...but another FRP for a deal prior to training camp would have been likely worth it. (not Heild/Turner)

Said so many times before...10 games where just one upgraded player made just one more play and the Lakers could have 10 more wins. Even just winning half of those would put the Lakers in the 4th seed and winning all ten would have the Lakers in 2nd place in the West. Water under the bridge but a deal before camp would have been worth the other pic.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:

I don’t want him to come in to LA and just start chucking I like that he’s looking to be efficient

It was actually not efficient tho... But only played 23mins... Should be playing 26-28 minutes. But he is a proven scorer so he's always a threat on the floor. Just a matter of feeling comfortable now for him and the rest of the new guys.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Come on guys, you know exactly what I'm getting at...I'm glad we got the guys we got for the price...but another FRP for a deal prior to training camp would have been likely worth it. (not Heild/Turner)

Said so many times before...10 games where just one upgraded player made just one more play and the Lakers could have 10 more wins. Even just winning half of those would put the Lakers in the 4th seed and winning all ten would have the Lakers in 2nd place in the West. Water under the bridge but a deal before camp would have been worth the other pic.

That was the beauty of the trade that Pelinka made. We didn’t have to give up that FRP keep in mind that they’re thinking of the future whenever they’re making these trades for the players. We have now look at them young not going to be super expensive to resign so the chances of being able to retain most of them are good and then we only had to give up one FRP a protected FRP in order to make all this work

I didn’t want to give up both FRP’s that’s one of the things that made these trades a win
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:26 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Polarbear wrote:

It was actually not efficient tho... But only played 23mins... Should be playing 26-28 minutes. But he is a proven scorer so he's always a threat on the floor. Just a matter of feeling comfortable now for him and the rest of the new guys.

Yeah, what I mean about efficient is he didn’t just come out there and start chucking every time he got the ball to get his points
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:30 pm    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

We are waaaaaay better situated for the future now over if we had traded for Hield/Turner for Russ and both picks (minimum, I would guess Indy would have also wanted Reaves). We got Dlo, Vanderbilt, Beasley, Rui, and Bamba, saved a pick, protected the other top 4. That’s potentially five guys we have large interest in keeping beyond this season. Maybe we would be in the playoffs now if we had made the trade, but also maybe not given all the injuries we’ve had.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:34 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

That was the beauty of the trade that Pelinka made. We didn’t have to give up that FRP keep in mind that they’re thinking of the future whenever they’re making these trades for the players. We have now look at them young not going to be super expensive to resign so the chances of being able to retain most of them are good and then we only had to give up one FRP a protected FRP in order to make all this work

I didn’t want to give up both FRP’s that’s one of the things that made these trades a win

But the team is in 13th place in the standings and may not have enough games left to make the play in. Would you give up the FRP to be 2nd in the West right now? I would. Brogdon/Heild/Turner for WB/THT/2FRPs or WB/2FRps for Richardson/McDermott/Poetl or WB/2FRPs for Rozier/Oubre/Washington.

If the Lakers make the play in then it was worth it keeping the other FRP because I like the team as is better than any of the trades that were reported to be available for the 2FRPs....but if the Lakers don't make the play in then I would have rather made a trade, even if it cost more and didn't have these players....because this team has shown that with 2 or 3 upgrade plalyers they could have been a top 4 seed in the West. Unlike those that said it wouldn't move the needle, or the ceiling would be the 6th seed so it wouldn't be worth it, the games played with close losses seems to indicate that it would have had the team near the top of the West standings with 3 upgraded players on the roster.

What Rob did was great...but waiting for this seemingly perfect deal is worth it if the team makes the post season...if the team doesn't then he wasted a year when we all knew, players, fans, coaches, media, that a trade needed to be made...before training camp.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

But the team is in 13th place in the standings and may not have enough games left to make the play in. Would you give up the FRP to be 2nd in the West right now? I would. Brogdon/Heild/Turner for WB/THT/2FRPs or WB/2FRps for Richardson/McDermott/Poetl or WB/2FRPs for Rozier/Oubre/Washington.

If the Lakers make the play in then it was worth it keeping the other FRP because I like the team as is better than any of the trades that were reported to be available for the 2FRPs....but if the Lakers don't make the play in then I would have rather made a trade, even if it cost more and didn't have these players....because this team has shown that with 2 or 3 upgrade plalyers they could have been a top 4 seed in the West. Unlike those that said it wouldn't move the needle, or the ceiling would be the 6th seed so it wouldn't be worth it, the games played with close losses seems to indicate that it would have had the team near the top of the West standings.

That's a both sides of your mouth argument -- you don't get to make decisions with the knowledge of the outcome before you make them. You make a call and live with the consequences (well unless you're on a message board lol)

Waiting for these deals -- I think will prove better in the long run
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:45 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If the Lakers make the play in then it was worth it keeping the other FRP because I like the team as is better than any of the trades that were reported to be available for the 2FRPs....but if the Lakers don't make the play in then I would have rather made a trade, even if it cost more and didn't have these players....because this team has shown that with 2 or 3 upgrade plalyers they could have been a top 4 seed in the West. Unlike those that said it wouldn't move the needle, or the ceiling would be the 6th seed so it wouldn't be worth it, the games played with close losses seems to indicate that it would have had the team near the top of the West standings.

That's a both sides of your mouth argument -- you don't get to make decisions with the knowledge of the outcome before you make them. You make a call and live with the consequences (well unless you're on a message board lol)

I'm not talking out of both sides...I'm saying unequivocally that a deal should have been made prior to training camp...now that it wasn't then I will say that it was worth it if the team makes the postseason. Giving the unknown I prefer the deal before camp because based on the way the team played before upgrades it seems as if they would be a top seed in the West right now. I don't want to complain about water under the bridge, just don't want to say redemption is appropriate before making he post season because making the post season as a top seed was the likely outcome if the trade was done before the season started. This isn't hard and I'm not being ambiguous in the slightest, people that want to take up for Rob are just ignoring what I'm saying denying reality.

Rob wasted this season waiting until the trade deadline to make a deal unless the lakers make the play in. I love what he did but would have preferred to be 2nd in the west right now than 13th. If the Lakers make the postseason then Rob made up for it with the players acquired, roster flexibility, and low cost. That's as simple as I can put it.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

If the Lakers make the play in then it was worth it keeping the other FRP because I like the team as is better than any of the trades that were reported to be available for the 2FRPs....but if the Lakers don't make the play in then I would have rather made a trade, even if it cost more and didn't have these players....because this team has shown that with 2 or 3 upgrade plalyers they could have been a top 4 seed in the West. Unlike those that said it wouldn't move the needle, or the ceiling would be the 6th seed so it wouldn't be worth it, the games played with close losses seems to indicate that it would have had the team near the top of the West standings with 3 upgraded players on the roster.

What Rob did was great...but waiting for this seemingly perfect deal is worth it if the team makes the post season...if the team doesn't then he wasted a year when we all knew, players, fans, coaches, media, that a trade needed to be made...before training camp.

No, I would not

Michael, after this team went to and 10 at the beginning of the season and suffering massive injuries is to get to the play, and we can do that with the trades that we have made

I don’t have a lot of hope of making it to the championship this year

But

This team is situated well for the future. Now, if we get end of the playing, make a little bit of noise, I’ll be happy and I’ll be looking forward to what the team will look like next year whenever it has a semblance of what it’s going to look like not having two stars and a bunch of street free agents around them.

We’re gonna have fun watching this team for the rest of the year and we’re gonna have something to look forward to going into the off-season
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:00 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm not talking out of both sides...I'm saying unequivocally that a deal should have been made prior to training camp...now that it wasn't then I will say that it was worth it if the team makes the postseason. Giving the unknown I prefer the deal before camp because based on the way the team played before upgrades it seems as if they would be a top seed in the West right now. I don't want to complain about water under the bridge, just don't want to say redemption is appropriate before making he post season because making the post season as a top seed was the likely outcome if the trade was done before the season started. This isn't hard and I'm not being ambiguous in the slightest, people that want to take up for Rob are just ignoring what I'm saying denying reality.

Rob wasted this season waiting until the trade deadline to make a deal unless the lakers make the play in. I love what he did but would have preferred to be 2nd in the west right now than 13th. If the Lakers make the postseason then Rob made up for it with the players acquired, roster flexibility, and low cost. That's as simple as I can put it.

Keep in mind we were up Lincoln. Did this made everybody happy including the front office because they saved a lot of money that Hass to be factored into the equation as fans we don’t give a (bleep) because it’s not our money.
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

GM's don't play fantasy ball -- they make real decisions with real risks. The both sides part is arguing that if what he did works -- great! -- forget what I said. And not riding with your 1st decision without owning or taking the L for what you would have done if you were the GM.

If you don't care either way, that's one thing. But you clearly have a preference. If they don't make the playoffs - maybe you were right (although we'll never know for certain - but you can argue it)
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:03 pm    Post subject:

Must be so nice for Lebron to finally kick out to a PG who can shoot the ball. Also for Lebron no longer watch the defenses sag off so much when he has the ball with DLo/Beasley on the floor.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject:

miggz23 wrote:
Must be so nice for Lebron to finally kick out to a PG who can shoot the ball. Also for Lebron no longer watch the defenses sag off so much when he has the ball with DLo/Beasley on the floor.

Same for AD to not have someone guard him with a small who the refs will let grab and hold, while the center comes over as the double guy because they were on Russ and knew he couldn’t shoot.

People talk about Brogdon but Brogdon had Williams and Boston bugs as the double guy because they ran a center on Russ
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:17 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

GM's don't play fantasy ball -- they make real decisions with real risks. The both sides part is arguing that if what he did works -- great! -- forget what I said. And not riding with your 1st decision without owning or taking the L for what you would have done if you were the GM.

If you don't care either way, that's one thing. But you clearly have a preference. If they don't make the playoffs - maybe you were right (although we'll never know for certain - but you can argue it)

Said un-questionably that I prefer that trade had been made BEFORE training camp and never insinuated that since Rob did a great job at the deadline forget what I said...it's easy to make that up to support your stance....it's just not true.
Lakesh0wtime
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Aside from a Kyrie trade..none of the rumored trades in the off-season make us a contender this year.

The trade we made at the deadline makes us deeper and gives us assets for the future.

I’m fine with Rob waiting till the deadline.

It’s Ham and the players fault for tricking away games that should have been won and the refs for screwing us in the Dallas and Boston game.
cooleggs
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:45 pm    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Said un-questionably that I prefer that trade had been made BEFORE training camp and never insinuated that since Rob did a great job at the deadline forget what I said...it's easy to make that up to support your stance....it's just not true.

Cool story bro - lol

"If the Lakers make the play in then it was worth it keeping the other FRP because I like the team as is better than any of the trades that were reported to be available for the 2FRPs....but if the Lakers don't make the play in then I would have rather made a trade, even if it cost more and didn't have these players"

Rob did an excellent job. That deal was highway robbery at the beginning of the season. We're probably not winning a chip this year - so why act desperate. Rob was clowned for giving up too much in the AD and other trades. It took time to do what he did and we are the better for it. I thought all along that the Russ thing would take time to unwind. If we don't make the playin/playoffs so be it.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:57 pm    Post subject:

Lakers ran a 10 man rotation today. Even if Bamba played with Davis, either Troy or Lonnie would be odd man out, but Wenyen would get play time.

Starters:
D'Angelo Russell
Malik Beasley
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Mo Bamba

Bench:
Dennis Schroeder
Austin Reaves
Lonnie Walker IV
Rui Hachimura
Wenyen Gabriel

Then Troy Brown would be odd man out. So either way, either Brown or Walker will be odd-man out.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Lakers ran a 10 man rotation today. Even if Bamba played with Davis, either Troy or Lonnie would be odd man out, but Wenyen would get play time.

Starters:
D'Angelo Russell
Malik Beasley
LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Mo Bamba

Bench:
Dennis Schroeder
Austin Reaves
Lonnie Walker IV
Rui Hachimura
Wenyen Gabriel

Then Troy Brown would be odd man out. So either way, either Brown or Walker will be odd-man out.

No Vanderbilt?
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:25 am    Post subject:

Watched alot of the replay (just turned it off to start 4th). That AD Vanderbilt LBJ front court has some promise. Still curious about one with Mo in there.

Just 3 games but so far D'lo has actually been sneaky solid. I also find myself not clutching my seat for fear of what will happen next when he drives or handles the ball. I think have some PTSD after watching Westbrook.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:35 am    Post subject:

cooleggs wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
cooleggs wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Cool story bro - lol

"If the Lakers make the play in then it was worth it keeping the other FRP because I like the team as is better than any of the trades that were reported to be available for the 2FRPs....but if the Lakers don't make the play in then I would have rather made a trade, even if it cost more and didn't have these players"

Rob did an excellent job. That deal was highway robbery at the beginning of the season. We're probably not winning a chip this year - so why act desperate. Rob was clowned for giving up too much in the AD and other trades. It took time to do what he did and we are the better for it. I thought all along that the Russ thing would take time to unwind. If we don't make the playin/playoffs so be it.

Rob took a gamble imo by not making a trade before training camp and the consequence is that the Lakers are 13th in the standings and may miss the post season. If the Lakers make the post season then the gamble would have paid off. Still not my preference but I can acknowledge the masterful job done to improve the roster while criticizing him for wasting this season to do it. You may be too emotionally attached to your opinion that you don’t see both side or that I’m seeing both sides…

Either way I would have preferred to be the 2nd seed in the West with a deal done before training camp and if the Lakers don’t make the post season then Rob should be held accountable for that failure along with the praise for constructing a better roster for the future.

It’s not ok to ignore that the team misses the playoffs just like it wouldn’t be ok to ignore the well done job of upgrading the roster…he will earn more props if the team makes the playoffs and more criticism if it doesn’t.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 37, 38, 39  Next
Page 38 of 39
Jump to: