LeBron James has been the perfect role model since he was a teen, says author

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: LeBron James has been the perfect role model since he was a teen, says author

MSNBC
LeBron James has been the perfect role model since he was a teen, says author
(YouTube)

Quote:
Author Jeff Benedict joins Morning Joe to discuss his new book 'LeBron,' about NBA great LeBron James's rise to dominance on the court and beyond.

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:27 am    Post subject:

I am so sick of all the revisionist El BJ fanboying and media hype that's going on these days.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject:

How did a thread about LeBron James make its way into the Off Topic Forum?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:05 am    Post subject:

LongBeachPoly wrote:
How did a thread about LeBron James make its way into the Off Topic Forum?

There are some politics and non-basketball things in the video.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:00 am    Post subject:

I agree. Everyone has gaffs. His have been minuscule. An amazing role model for other professional athletes. More so than kids.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
I am so sick of all the revisionist El BJ fanboying and media hype that's going on these days.

Agreed. Say what you want about Petros Papadakis, but he's right on the money in saying that Lebron's personna feels completely contrived. There's something about Lebron that doesn't pass the smell test.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject:

I'm in favor of LeBron and his speaking out. He's not a shut up and dribble athlete. Athletes have a forum that allows their voices to be heard by many and he's using it publicly with a volume high.

Michael Jordan is doing great things that go unknown. He's been criticized by many who don't know what he's doing. Many other Black athletes are doing the same thing but it goes unknown.

Bron is of a Jim Brown, Kareem Jabbar, Colin Kaepernick, SAS mold. He's speaking for those who don't have a voice. I applaud him.

Those who have opinions that don't jibe with mine are entitled.

Listen to Petro Papadakis. He's all over the map.
LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

You mean decades because...
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:47 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
I'm in favor of LeBron and his speaking out. He's not a shut up and dribble athlete. Athletes have a forum that allows their voices to be heard by many and he's using it publicly with a volume high.

Michael Jordan is doing great things that go unknown. He's been criticized by many who don't know what he's doing. Many other Black athletes are doing the same thing but it goes unknown.

Bron is of a Jim Brown, Kareem Jabbar, Colin Kaepernick, SAS mold. He's speaking for those who don't have a voice. I applaud him.

Jim Brown was also violent towards women. I am assuming SAS means Stephen A? This is the guy who live on air sympathized with ray Rice and said women shouldn't provoke their men. Then doubled down.

Kaj was next level and like ALI put himself in harms way. Brons words IMHO have never really inspired. His actions on the other hand are without peer.

Every young athlete with means should look to how he has given back and carried himself.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject:

When the competition gets tough, collude with your competitors to form a superteam!
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:40 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:

I have only ever thought of the guy as a poseur and a charlatan who happens to be an excellent athlete.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Jim Brown was also violent towards women. I am assuming SAS means Stephen A? This is the guy who live on air sympathized with ray Rice and said women shouldn't provoke their men. Then doubled down.

The way Jim Brown and SAS treat women has nothing to do with speaking because they have a platform. I applaud them for having careers that could be jeopardized because of their positions on social issues.

Kaj was next level and like ALI put himself in harms way. Brons words IMHO have never really inspired. His actions on the other hand are without peer.

I disagree with Brons words not inspiring. He's a high schooler who made it big and's giving back. He's probably inspiring high schoolers. As I said those who don't agree with my position are entitled to.

Every young athlete with means should look to how he has given back and carried himself.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The way Jim Brown and SAS treat women has nothing to do with speaking because they have a platform. I applaud them for having careers that could be jeopardized because of their positions on social issues.

I disagree with Brons words not inspiring. He's a high schooler who made it big and's giving back. He's probably inspiring high schoolers. As I said those who don't agree with my position are entitled to.

Isn’t this about role model? Just because JB comes out with empowering speech the flip side is he has been accused of assault. This is a full package deal. SAS on his platform tears down black men. There is more. Easy to claim entertainment but it’s still use of his platform.

Bron has been amazing. Arguably flawless.For me, it’s never been because of his words. I can’t remember anything profound outside of responding to the bigots on fox. His opening of schools is far more impactful than anything he can or has said.

We agree that he has been amazing since day 1.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Isn’t this about role model? Just because JB comes out with empowering speech the flip side is he has been accused of assault. This is a full package deal. SAS on his platform tears down black men. There is more. Easy to claim entertainment but it’s still use of his platform.

Bron has been amazing. Arguably flawless.For me, it’s never been because of his words. I can’t remember anything profound outside of responding to the bigots on fox. His opening of schools is far more impactful than anything he can or has said.

Laker fans are happy he decided to play for them, but I can't say they are passionate about Lebron to the degree that Kareem, Magic or Kobe were. But I notice theres a certain profile of people who really openly despise him and they are members of a certain political affiliation. Mention Lebron and they really fume and turn red....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 5:18 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Halflife wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Isn’t this about role model? Just because JB comes out with empowering speech the flip side is he has been accused of assault. This is a full package deal.

SAS on his platform tears down black men. There is more. Easy to claim entertainment but it’s still use of his platform.

Yes, it is about role models. Jim Brown is not the greatest. It's also about uplifting a community. It's also about equal rights. Jim Brown speaks on race relations and equality. We're talking about using a platform not afforded to the average person.

SAS is criticized for speaking up for Black coaches and hiring more Blacks in FO jobs. When have you seen him tear down Black men? I've never seen it. Do you have an example? He tells it like it is in the sports venue. Black, White, or Green.

You may not find anything of a profound nature. IMO it's about the message, not the articulation. He encourages youngsters to believe in themselves. The message doesn't always have to be spoken it can manifest in achievement.

slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:57 pm    Post subject:

LeBron has done some things that made him look really bad, like The Decision. Every now and then he says or does things that seem to smack of hubris, like when he talked about seeing "the LeBron James of feet."

Imo he's a narcissist, but not all narcissists are bad people. If you want to talk about him speaking out on social/racial issues, investing his own money to help poor people in Akron, Ohio or being a dad, those are areas where he's a good example to follow.

When it comes to training and taking care of his body, he may be reaching Kobe-esque levels. They say he invests at least $1 million a year into his body.

But LeBron is so polarizing, and it gets annoying. Read comments on any article written about him and it's nothing but LeBron haters tearing him down, and LeBronsexuals insisting he's the GOAT and it's not even close. There's no middle ground with him where people acknowledge both the good and bad with him.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Here's an example of how LeBron is not only a good example off the court, but being the rare businessman who uses his business ventures to enrich and help other people, especially poor people.

https://theathletic.com/4362200/2023/03/30/lebron-james-starbucks-job-training-i-promise-school/

Quote:
At 6 o’clock Wednesday morning, a new Starbucks opened for the first time on West Market Street, next door to a bank and a parking garage, and across from a couple of brick, vacant storefronts, some with boarded-up windows, on the outskirts of downtown.

There is no Starbucks quite like it in the world.

The 46 people who work there are all being paid an hourly salary, but on top of the money are earning valuable job-training certificates for the hospitality industry.

It’s an entirely new way to think about job training, which is typically done at community colleges and vocational schools where the students aren’t being paid for the pieces of paper they get that they hope one day opens a door for them into the career field of their choice.

Quote:
The “employees” like Schuler, called “team members” in LeBron foundation-speak, don’t just work for Starbucks, or the Taco Shop by Old El Paso or the LeBron James Sports Bar (when they open). They all will be trained in every facet of every business at House Three Thirty, from event planning to food service (there’s a fancy test kitchen in the basement sponsored by Pepsi, another of LeBron’s partners), to janitorial work. They get paid and they get the training credits.

None of the other nearly 33,000 Starbucks on Earth are like this one in Akron, which opened Wednesday morning, in no small part because it’s the only Starbucks that is a part of James’ now 12-year quest to break cyclical poverty in his hometown by confronting its root causes.

It's always heartwarming when rich and powerful people like LeBron do things like this.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 6:31 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

I have only ever thought of the guy as a poseur and a charlatan who happens to be an excellent athlete.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. Always a coward who crowed too much.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: