*** Los Angeles Lakers vs Memphis Grizzlies (04/22/23 @ 7:00 PM PT) 1st Round - Western Conference (Game #3) ***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:34 pm    Post subject:

Great 1st qtr - one of the best I've seen in awhile and shows the peak top end of this team. That 1st qtr was championship level intensity and it shook the Grizzlies. That is really promising.

Ham is still killing us with the small ball no center lineup, he REALLY has to go away from that. In a tight game or later down the line that margin for error is gone, he HAS TO STOP that. Play Bamba or Wenyen, stop the small ball.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:37 pm    Post subject:

rock0100 wrote:
P.K. wrote:
rock0100 wrote:
If there is a game 6, is it really a back to back?!

no back to backs
we play 24th, 26th, 28th, 30th
so, every other day for the rest of the Grizz series

Ok. ESPN shows 24, 26, 27, 30.

I'm referencing nba.com - so I'd hope that's accurate
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
32 wrote:
Some people here are complaining about a 10-point win. Haha

There have been some posters, who have literally said them self up in a position where they need material to be able to complain about the head coach

Just the head coach

It’s baffling

I don’t think so. Ham has done some things well, some adjustments bad too. I think people forget he’s a Bud disciple. He’s not Phil who can make a call on the fly. Bud has many of his faults, hard headed subs, lack on in game changes, and even giving up 3s as no one in the playoffs gave up more threes than the bucks when they won it all. He’s not going to change his approach as quick as some people remember a Phil . He’s not going to work the refs over in the media like Phil would to protect his stars. I think he’s getting judged a lot based off Phil tbh more so than the coaching tree he came from

Hell Phil was criticized and judged by Riley because his style wasn’t showtime enough lol

Darvin isn’t doing it perfect dude we really expect him to is a rookie head coach? I didn’t.
But to blame everything on him is just stupid

It’s silly and it isn’t. Pat Riley was a rookie head coach and what happened? Phil was a rookie head coach and what happened?

I mean a lot of the criticism Ham I’d eating is what Bud ate for years and years to be won and why people were asking if Giannis would leave. Outside the lakers bubble, you will see Ham coaches like who he learned form, Bud

Ham can do certain things to fix problems but doesn’t. You can say the players or Rob need to do this or that, but Rob gave him Gabriel and Bamba so he wouldn’t be playing Bron at 5 when AD sat and bleed leads. Certain things like playing Denis Reaves Russell Bron AD a minute together before tonight is totally controllable by Ham.

I’m not going to blame Ham for when the lakers miss open 3s, that ain’t on him. But I will blame him when he sits Russell 20 mins each half and then plays Bradley in his place and Beasley gives him nothing. I will blame him when he doesn’t come up with something for Vando to do so Ja or JJJ can’t sit in the paint on AD as a helper because he’s not scoring. He has work to do

The two coaches that you mention are Hall of Fame coaches

There is a lot of room in between being a crappy coach and being a Hall of Fame coach

Bron and AD are judged by GLOAT standards …that’s Kobe, Shaq, Kareem, Magic, Worthy

Ham is unfortunately judged by GLCOAT standards .. that’s Pat and Phil

A little unfair don’t you think I don’t think that’s fair

I have no problem, saying that we have a rookie head coach that is making some mistakes here and there, but is showing good team motivation that he’s gotten his team from no chance at the playoffs to the seventh seed and is now up to the one in the series against the second seeded team

We can do that we can critique him while still giving him praise the ultimate goal here besides trying to win a championship this year is to go into next year with the same players, and a head coach with some seasoning

I think he’s done about a B- all year. He’s been good, frustrating at times but good. He’s had to work with multiple rosters and changes. He had to deal with Russ and injuries. And at times he’s took losses because of roster makeup. And at times he’s took lossses because he didn’t make the right moves too as a coach.

He will get judged by the playoffs and those before him. Unfortunately for him his last playoff coaches were for most people watching, Phil. I think he is a hell of a rara guy who can cheerlead and get guys together but he’s got some work to do. I mean when we were in that damn bubble, Frank was on point with every sun, every rotation, and game to game you saw the adjustment even if it meant benching his starter. I think Ham will get there. He’s got to be stripped of Beasley lol but he will get there
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Also I didn't mind the defensive strategy on Ja, he went off but for him to beat us like that he will have to continue making a ton of 3's and dominate the ball so much we will be able to generate some live ball turnovers and put him on his ass with some hard fouls in a tighter game.

It also takes Jackson out of the game entirely.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
32 wrote:

There have been some posters, who have literally said them self up in a position where they need material to be able to complain about the head coach

Just the head coach

It’s baffling

I don’t think so. Ham has done some things well, some adjustments bad too. I think people forget he’s a Bud disciple. He’s not Phil who can make a call on the fly. Bud has many of his faults, hard headed subs, lack on in game changes, and even giving up 3s as no one in the playoffs gave up more threes than the bucks when they won it all. He’s not going to change his approach as quick as some people remember a Phil . He’s not going to work the refs over in the media like Phil would to protect his stars. I think he’s getting judged a lot based off Phil tbh more so than the coaching tree he came from

Hell Phil was criticized and judged by Riley because his style wasn’t showtime enough lol

Darvin isn’t doing it perfect dude we really expect him to is a rookie head coach? I didn’t.

It’s silly and it isn’t. Pat Riley was a rookie head coach and what happened? Phil was a rookie head coach and what happened?

I mean a lot of the criticism Ham I’d eating is what Bud ate for years and years to be won and why people were asking if Giannis would leave. Outside the lakers bubble, you will see Ham coaches like who he learned form, Bud

Ham can do certain things to fix problems but doesn’t. You can say the players or Rob need to do this or that, but Rob gave him Gabriel and Bamba so he wouldn’t be playing Bron at 5 when AD sat and bleed leads. Certain things like playing Denis Reaves Russell Bron AD a minute together before tonight is totally controllable by Ham.

I’m not going to blame Ham for when the lakers miss open 3s, that ain’t on him. But I will blame him when he sits Russell 20 mins each half and then plays Bradley in his place and Beasley gives him nothing. I will blame him when he doesn’t come up with something for Vando to do so Ja or JJJ can’t sit in the paint on AD as a helper because he’s not scoring. He has work to do

There is a lot of room in between being a crappy coach and being a Hall of Fame coach

Bron and AD are judged by GLOAT standards …that’s Kobe, Shaq, Kareem, Magic, Worthy

There’s a lot of ways to go sideways on this and get off track. The point is that Ham looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing continually playing LBJ/Rui front court when AD sits and he doesn’t look like he knows what he’s doing continuing playing Beasley. That’s the point, other stuff is just a smoke screen to cover up for what looks like a coach that has stubbornness that will cost us a series, if not this one then perhaps in the future.

Ham’s rotations changed a 20pt blow out to a game having to make competitive plays down the stretch instead of garbage time. Neither LBJ/Rui front court nor Beasley has worked for quite a while now, long enough for Ham to have made an adjustment but he hasn’t. It boils down to simply that.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:42 pm    Post subject:

Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
32 wrote:

Just the head coach

It’s baffling

There’s a lot of ways to go sideways on this and get off track. The point is that Ham looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing continually playing LBJ/Rui front court when AD sits and he doesn’t look like he knows what he’s doing continuing playin Beasley. That’s the point, other stuff is just a smoke screen to cover up for what looks like a coach that has stubbornness that will cost us a series, if not more his one than perhaps future. Neither LBJ/Rui front court nor Beasley has worked for quite a while now, longer enough for Ham to have made an adjustment he hasn’t. It boils down to simply that.

The only way Ham will be justified is if Beasley pulls a Kareem Rush and wins him a game
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:48 pm    Post subject:

this series will be base on how lakers will survive when Bron/Rui @ C.

Literally 0 paint defense. Good thing Rui gets hot for 2 games now.
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject:

I just don't get the logic, the small ball lineup he uses has Schroeder, TB Jr, and Rui - none of those guys are knock down three point shooters. So it's not like your going small ball and spacing the court with snipers.

You're sacrificing defense and rebounding for mediocre spacing that doesn't really even exist. It's just a dumb lineup all around.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
Hanging from Rafters wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
Kblo247! wrote:
Polarbear wrote:
32 wrote:

Just the head coach

It’s baffling

There’s a lot of ways to go sideways on this and get off track. The point is that Ham looks like he doesn’t know what he’s doing continually playing LBJ/Rui front court when AD sits and he doesn’t look like he knows what he’s doing continuing playin Beasley. That’s the point, other stuff is just a smoke screen to cover up for what looks like a coach that has stubbornness that will cost us a series, if not more his one than perhaps future. Neither LBJ/Rui front court nor Beasley has worked for quite a while now, longer enough for Ham to have made an adjustment he hasn’t. It boils down to simply that.

The only way Ham will be justified is if Beasley pulls a Kareem Rush and wins him a game

And LBJ/Rui at C/PF actually extends a lead instead negative play…giving up points on a lead or increasing a deficit.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:51 pm    Post subject:

So that was a fun time
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
I just don't get the logic, the small ball lineup he uses has Schroeder, TB Jr, and Rui - none of those guys are knock down three point shooters. So it's not like your going small ball and spacing the court with snipers.

You're sacrificing defense and rebounding for mediocre spacing that doesn't really even exist. It's just a dumb lineup all around.

Don’t leave Bron out the mix either. Bron is the worst 3 point shooter in the line up with the second unit and doesn’t protect the rim or defend like AD to be supplementing him at the 5.

I would almost like to see how things would look if he flipped it and ended the 1st and 3rd with Brons small ball group and went with AD to start the second and fourth. The Reaves with Bron, Troy, Rui, Denis was a better touch than Beasley though so I’ll give him credit there. We still took an L in the lineup but it was a more manageable one than the way we usually get blitzed when AD sits
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject:

The problem with the second unit is not Rui, Lebron. The problem is Dennis. He is not scoring and neither is setting up shooters.
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:

Don’t leave Bron out the mix either. Bron is the worst 3 point shooter in the line up with the second unit and doesn’t protect the rim or defend like AD to be supplementing him at the 5.

I would almost like to see how things would look if he flipped it and ended the 1st and 3rd with Brons small ball group and went with AD to start the second and fourth. The Reaves with Bron, Troy, Rui, Denis was a better touch than Beasley though so I’ll give him credit there. We still took an L in the lineup but it was a more manageable one than the way we usually get blitzed when AD sits

It really sucks that the Lakers need a backup C for 12 minutes when AD sits that can block shots, play D, and hit 3s…have one in the bench but won’t use him.

It sucks that the former starting SG is in such a slump that he lost his starting job such that the Lakers need a back up SG that can hit from 3, and drive to the hole while running the floor to finish well, have that in the bench in LW4 who…unlike Mo yet at least…played well hat way for two months as a starter.

Anyway, don’t want to get down too much after a win, glad we got this one now up 2-1…but…I want more, that’s the best thing. Some posters appear to be so accepting of things because of the win like they are just satisfied with winning one playoff game instead of aspiring to fix things that appear as if it would give the Lakers an opportunity to be better.

Last edited by Hanging from Rafters on Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:06 pm    Post subject:

lakerican wrote:
The problem with the second unit is not Rui, Lebron. The problem is Dennis. He is not scoring and neither is setting up shooters.

In this game when Denis came in for Vando in the first and third the lead got built with Bron out and Rui in his place. Denis can play as aggressive a defense as he likes with AD behind him. You can’t do that with Bron at 5. Denis handled the ball the entirety of the end of the 3rd and he gave it to AD every trip down. It’s about the way the puzzle gets arranged. You can even make the Rui, Bron, Troy, Denis more manageable just by adding Gabriel with them to help offer some more resistance. Beasley, Denis, Bron, Rui and Troy is just too small
Hanging from Rafters
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject:

Kblo247! wrote:
lakerican wrote:

In this game when Denis came in for Vando in the first and third the lead got built with Bron out and Rui in his place. Denis can play as aggressive a defense as he likes with AD behind him. You can’t do that with Bron at 5. Denis handled the ball the entirety of the end of the 3rd and he gave it to AD every trip down. It’s about the way the city puzzle gets arranged. You can even make the Rui, Bron, Troy, Denis more manageable just by adding Gabriel with them to help offer some more resistance. Beasley, Denis, Bron, Rui and Troy is just too small

…and we’ve seen it fail over and over and over again with Beasley now routinely posting bagels for points, over and over. If anyone wonders why some posters are so critical of Ham then look no further than that. Oh, there’s more, like small ball, Vando out when the guy we want him to defend is in, LW4 DNPs, and more but basically it’s LBJ/Rui at C/PF when it has been shown it doesn’t work and continues to give minutes to Beasley.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:29 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
So that was a fun time
mos def, glad you were able to enjoy it.
Valdarno
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Wow, as I said earlier, I could not watch the game.

So I see Ham cost us an almost 30 point lead.......then almost cost us the game.........with his SAME idiotic lineups (going small, no true centers - does Bamba such THAT bad?, etc.) that have NEVER worked all bleeping season long!

Those of you justifying Ham are killing me!!!!
Valdarno
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject:

Valdarno wrote:

So I see Ham cost us an almost 30 point lead.......then almost cost us the game.........with his SAME idiotic lineups (going small, no true centers - does Bamba such THAT bad?, etc.) that have NEVER worked all bleeping season long!

suck THAT bad (not "such")
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:36 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
So that was a fun time

I just want Ja to continue playing. He is just so important to what Memphis does
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Valdarno wrote:
Valdarno wrote:

suck THAT bad (not "such")

Other than Ibaka I’m not sure you can give Ham anything he would be comfortable with behind AD. And we know Ibaka isn’t coming because he won a title already and didn’t want spot minutes with Portis, Brook, and Freak.
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Loved how DLO, Rui, and Austin contributed tonight.

Dangelo’s shot isn’t falling like it’s supposed to but he played with much better energy tonight.

17 points
7 assists
1 steal
+13

Good help side defense alongside Austin.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:41 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
TDRock wrote:
So that was a fun time

I just want Ja to continue playing. He is just so important to what Memphis does

Werd
BILBJH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject:

It was good the way Ham played Russell to get him going a little in the first... but his playing prevent defense the last half of the game was atrocious.

Pound the ball, let the shorthanded Grizzlies rest... make zero adjustments to strategy. Let Ja go off and gain his confidence.

We got beat by 20 points the last three quarters without Dillon Brooks.

The good news is we played like garbage and still won easily. This is what I expected the last game... at least have some of the players play decently and that was enough.

But this won't beat Phoenix and maybe not even the Kings.

Reaves, DLo, Schroder have to do better.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:47 pm    Post subject:

Only 4 players since 1973 (when blocks were first recorded) have dropped 65+ PTS, 35+ REB, and 15+ BLK over their first three Playoff games of a postseason.

Tim Duncan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Anthony Davis
KingKobe20
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 10:50 pm    Post subject:

A few angry clippers fans lurking around LA Live.

Saw clipper Darrell at Fixin’s Soul Kitchen restaurant earlier.
He was getting heckled non stop by ruthless lakers fans. Sorta felt bad for the guy. Don’t know why he does it to himself

Crazy how drastically scenarios can change in the NBA.

3 months ago nobody would of believed the Lakers would be up 2-1 in round 1 of the playoffs while the clippers are facing elimination down 3-1 to the suns
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 54 of 55
Jump to: