Magic vs. Curry
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:38 pm    Post subject: Magic vs. Curry

It's happening folks. The debate is starting to heat up for greatest point guard of all time. I have seen some Warriors fans say Curry's playoff performance today was better than any Magic performance. I guess they are too young to remember game 6 1980. I even saw Stephen A Smith today insinuate that Curry is better than Magic. Curry is the better shooter/scorer no doubt. But I'm not even sure we can even categorize him as a point guard. I think Magic is more well rounded. pure PG and a better passer. Magic has him beat in championships 5-4. I got Magic.

Anyways this debate could heat up now that the Lakers are playing the Warriors in the second round of the playoffs.

Last edited by 32 on Wed May 03, 2023 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:40 pm    Post subject:

What about Oscar Robertson?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 9:43 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

He's in the conversation but he only won one championship. Magic is better than him in my opinion.
strong9
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic vs. Curry

32 wrote:
It's happening folks. The debate is starting to heat up for greatest point guard of all time. I have seen some Warriors fans say Curry's playoff performance today was better than any Magic performance. I guess they are too young to remember game 6 1980. I even saw Stephen A Smith today insinuate that Curry is better than Magic. Curry is the better shooter/scorer no doubt. But I'm not even sure we can even categorize him as a point guard. I think Magic is more well rounded. pure PG and a better passer. Magic has him beat in championships 5-4. I got Magic.

Anyways this debate could heat up now that they're meeting in the second round of the playoffs.

I would chill. The bandwagoners of an otherwise moribund franchise are dying to have permanent relevancy. They'll crawl back into irrelevance soon enough.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:17 pm    Post subject:

Curry is a combo guard. Magic is a true PG.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:39 pm    Post subject:

Vancouver Fan wrote:
Curry is a combo guard. Magic is a true PG.

Still play the PG position just play it differently. IMO, Magic 1A and Curry 1B but the differences between Magic an Steph perfectly show the evolution of the game between then and now.
Brawn13
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:02 pm    Post subject:

This is why I would hate if warriors win again this year…can you imagine all the steph>Lebron/kobe/magic talk that’ll come up, “Curry is the GOAT” etc…smh

Don’t get me wrong Curry would be top 10 all time if he were to win but cmon…that first ring, no love and Kyrie? That shouldn’t have even gone 6 games. 2nd and 3rd ring…lol, no one in the nba stood a chance the day KD signed the dotted line and we all knew it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2023 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Magic vs. Curry

32 wrote:

Anyways this debate could heat up now that they're meeting in the second round of the playoffs.

It's a legitimate debate, although I doubt many people really care other than Warriors and Curry fans. My prediction is this thread will fade away fairly quickly because of apathy of the topic
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:34 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Most overrated player of all-time.

He got shut down by KC Jones in the playoffs. C’s players were cooking in the papers.

I did a deep dive in the sports illustrated vault and was shocked at the level of disrespect he got from his peers. I don’t know where his perceived reputation comes from, it must have been contrived by the media after his retirement. In those articles during his playing days, he was a loser with a low-IQ.

I’d put Russell Westbrook over Oscar Robertson. He did the triple double better.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject:

Curry is ahead of KD but they’re in the same boat, outside on the top 10 table
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:20 am    Post subject:

Magic is my favorite NBA player/athlete of all time.

So nothing will take him down for me. Yes, Curry is a gifted scorer, but Magic was the Showtime engine. If I had to start a team from scratch, there is no doubt that I take Magic over Curry.
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject:

Ive never seen a better passer than Magic.
I've never seen a better shooter than Curry.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

So nothing will take him down for me. Yes, Curry is a gifted scorer, but Magic was the Showtime engine. If I had to start a team from scratch, there is no doubt that I take Magic over Curry.

In this era, I'd take Curry. However, that's a different question from how they rank on the all-time list.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 5:23 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

In this era, I'd take Curry. However, that's a different question from how they rank on the all-time list.

Sure, but that's why it's silly to compare two different era players by using one era as a measuring stick.

Put Steph in the 1980s and no coach will let him do what's he's doing today. I think Magic would still flourish in today's NBA.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:10 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Put Steph in the 1980s and no coach will let him do what's he's doing today. I think Magic would still flourish in today's NBA.

Flourish? Probably. He wouldn't have the same transformational impact today. He'd be sort of a rich man's Ben Simmons. He'd be a better passer, a better scorer, much more of a gamer/winner, but not as good of a defender. At the end of his career, he actually became a respectable three point shooter by the standards of the time. Back in the '80s, he was a physical freak in a way that tends to get lost in the mists of time. Other teams figured out quickly that you just couldn't defend him with the point guards of the time. This led to a lot of changes in strategy and tactics, as coaches slowly accepted that a player of that size could actually function as a ballhandler. His impact on the game is why Curry will never pass him in my assessment.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:24 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:

... He'd be sort of a rich man's Ben Simmons. ...

That would be Warren Buffett/Jeff Bezos rich "rich man's Ben Simmons"...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject:

^^^^

Right now, yes, but before he fell apart, Ben Simmons was a three time all-star and third team all-NBA. That's the version of Ben Simmons to which I am referring.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:47 am    Post subject:

Again, this is why it's impossible to compare different era players, especially two players who are diametrically opposed in terms of how they play the point guard position.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:49 am    Post subject:

magic could play today, steph couldnt play then.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:53 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Flourish? Probably. He wouldn't have the same transformational impact today. He'd be sort of a rich man's Ben Simmons. He'd be a better passer, a better scorer, much more of a gamer/winner, but not as good of a defender. At the end of his career, he actually became a respectable three point shooter by the standards of the time. Back in the '80s, he was a physical freak in a way that tends to get lost in the mists of time. Other teams figured out quickly that you just couldn't defend him with the point guards of the time. This led to a lot of changes in strategy and tactics, as coaches slowly accepted that a player of that size could actually function as a ballhandler. His impact on the game is why Curry will never pass him in my assessment.

Another thing that hurts Curry in the discussion is he had a relatively slow start to his career for an all-time great. He didn't make his first All-Star team till his fifth season.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:57 am    Post subject:

a rich mans ben simmons is elite in today's league.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
magic could play today, steph couldnt play then.

I'm of the view that great players would be successful in any era of the NBA. They'd adjust to the conditions. This might not be true for the really early days of the NBA, but it's certainly true for the post-merger era.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:59 am    Post subject:

Best at each position

Magic
Jordan
Legramps
Duncan
Kareem

Why? cause I said so!
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:01 am    Post subject:

And I suspect we could be hearing some Curry > Kobe and Curry > Lebron debates during this series as well.
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 7:02 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:

... He'd be sort of a rich man's Ben Simmons. ...

That would be Warren Buffett/Jeff Bezos rich "rich man's Ben Simmons"...

I compared Steph Curry to Gail Goodrich, but damn, that’s straight up insulting to be compared to that bum Ben Simmons.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 1 of 13
Jump to: