Magic vs. Curry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject:

agreed with other's sentiments. is curry really the best POINT GUARD of all time? or just one INSANE SHOOTER?

think about it just from the "dropping dimes"/court vision perspective only.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
GOODRICH25 wrote:
I understand what you mean with Worthy I just think it's not accurate. He played with the all time greatest playmaker, I don't think he would have necessarily gotten the same looks elsewhere. Remember that Worthys scoring and percentage both went down the first year Magic wasn't there. But hard to prove either way, I don't think he reaches Bernard King level for example, someone from near his timeline.

This is a bit of a rabbit trail, but for what it's worth, I agree with you. I was a fan of Worthy going all the way back to his UNC days, but my assessment is that he was a very good player who wound up in the perfect spot. There's nothing wrong with that. There are far more players who wind up in the wrong spots. Would Worthy have been a famous player if the Cleveland Cavaliers had kept that pick? I doubt it.

If Worthy had stayed on Cleveland, I think he'd be at the level of Terry Cummings, who was drafted right after him. Very good player, made a couple of all-star teams, pretty much forgotten.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:07 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:
agreed with other's sentiments. is curry really the best POINT GUARD of all time? or just one INSANE SHOOTER?

I'll flip the question a little. Is Curry the best PG of the current era? I would say clearly yes. If we compare different eras, we are also comparing different roles for PGs. If we look at Magic's era (late '70s to early '90s), PGs were putting up enormous assist numbers, but usually weren't big scorers. The top 18 single season APGs were all from that era: Stockton, Isiah, Magic, Kevin Porter, and Kevin Johnson. (#19 is Westbrook as a Wizard, if you're curious). All of those guys could score, but none of them were really known as scorers. (Well, maybe KJ.) This season, most of the top scorers in the league were PGs or combo guards like Mitchell.

So, it comes down to how you value the different abilities of a PG. Magic is the clear winner in this contest, at least for me. But then, Magic probably wouldn't be a traditional PG in the current era.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 10:23 am    Post subject:

Also Magic was a much better rebounder than Curry. That's the benefit of being 6'9".
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 11:49 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

I'll flip the question a little. Is Curry the best PG of the current era? I would say clearly yes. If we compare different eras, we are also comparing different roles for PGs. If we look at Magic's era (late '70s to early '90s), PGs were putting up enormous assist numbers, but usually weren't big scorers. The top 18 single season APGs were all from that era: Stockton, Isiah, Magic, Kevin Porter, and Kevin Johnson. (#19 is Westbrook as a Wizard, if you're curious). All of those guys could score, but none of them were really known as scorers. (Well, maybe KJ.) This season, most of the top scorers in the league were PGs or combo guards like Mitchell.

So, it comes down to how you value the different abilities of a PG. Magic is the clear winner in this contest, at least for me. But then, Magic probably wouldn't be a traditional PG in the current era.

I'm a bit surprised that Nash for example never broke 12apg (Westbrook as a Wizard was 11.5 or a bit more iirc). Stockton is the king of the apg seasons, him and then Magic

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 1:37 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Also Magic was a much better rebounder than Curry. That's the benefit of being 6'9".

Magic at 6'9 averaged 7 RPG in his career
Curry at 6'2 averages 5 RPG in his career

Curry for his size is a magnificent rebounder and is averaging 6 RPG this season.

Some make the argument that Magic was a solid rebounder because of his size, but we've seen people well over 7 feet tall that can't rebound worth a darn. Both Magic and Curry are fantastic rebounders.

I actually think Curry's 2017 Finals performance is one of the best but it gets overshadowed by Durant's ATG performance. Games 1-3 Curry put up 28.7/9.7/9 on 45% from the Field and 48% from three then he had a bad game 4 and a great game 5. Finishing up that Finals averaging 27/8/9.4 which considering his size is phenomenal. It just so happens Durant was having the series of his life so it's often overlooked.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject:

Magic 7.2
Curry 4.7
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject:

No way do i believe Curry could play in magics era. Dont care how good he can shoot.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:
No way do i believe Curry could play in magics era. Dont care how good he can shoot.

6'1 180 pound Isiah Thomas on one leg scoring 25 points in a quarter vs the Lakers

6'2 200 pound Steph Curry the greatest shooter of all time, playing in an era of no zone defense and having to 100% commit to a double team otherwise having to leave your guy in a 1 on 1 situation....

Those that think the the 200 pound 6'2 Steph Curry who also happens to be the greatest shooter of all time wouldn't be able to play in Magic's era where zone defense was illegal are lying to themselves.

Last edited by MJST on Tue May 02, 2023 5:15 pm; edited 2 times in total
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Magic would probably be a point guard from the power forward position the same way Jokic is from the center position.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:15 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:

Magic played all 5 positions and had one of the best lines in an NBA finals without his big man

Game 6 1980 Finals

btw he was only a rookie

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/five-best-alltime-nba-finals-performances
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 5:49 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
32 wrote:

Magic played all 5 positions and had one of the best lines in an NBA finals without his big man

Game 6 1980 Finals

btw he was only a rookie

https://www.basketballnews.com/stories/five-best-alltime-nba-finals-performances

According to the logic used against Steph, because Magic wasn’t the “best player on the floor” in that series, it doesn’t count .
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 6:01 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
32 wrote:

Game 6 1980 Finals

btw he was only a rookie

No doubt! The greatest finals performance of all time.
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:29 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
32 wrote:

Magic at 6'9 averaged 7 RPG in his career
Curry at 6'2 averages 5 RPG in his career

Curry for his size is a magnificent rebounder and is averaging 6 RPG this season.

Some make the argument that Magic was a solid rebounder because of his size, but we've seen people well over 7 feet tall that can't rebound worth a darn. Both Magic and Curry are fantastic rebounders.

I actually think Curry's 2017 Finals performance is one of the best but it gets overshadowed by Durant's ATG performance. Games 1-3 Curry put up 28.7/9.7/9 on 45% from the Field and 48% from three then he had a bad game 4 and a great game 5. Finishing up that Finals averaging 27/8/9.4 which considering his size is phenomenal. It just so happens Durant was having the series of his life so it's often overlooked.

But Magic won a championship filling in at center for Kareem against the Sixers with a stat line of 42pts, 15rbs, and 7 asst.

Magic and Curry, two different players, two different eras, two different games, two GREAT players. Can't go wrong with either player leading your team!

For my money, Magic is the first player I would pick starting my "Hall of Fame" team over all other players.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Remember when Curry hit that game winner in the finals against his arch rivals?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Curry could play in ANY era, just like the players back in the days could play in today's era.

The players back then didn't have the advanced training, diets, chartered planes, advanced medical staff, watered down league, touch fouls, flagrant fouls, often played three games in a row, etc..

Different eras, different game, but ballers will be ballers, anytime, any place, and any era.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:00 pm    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
Halflife wrote:

Curry could play in ANY era, just like the players back in the days could play in today's era.

The players back then didn't have the advanced training, diets, chartered planes, advanced medical staff, watered down league, touch fouls, flagrant fouls, often played three games in a row, etc..

Different eras, different game, but ballers will be ballers, anytime, any place, and any era.

I can't imagine an era in NBA history where Curry wouldn't be a star. He would be as big or bigger than a lot of PGs of Magic's time -- Isiah Thomas, Maurice Cheeks, Norm Nixon, John Stockton. I'm actually baffled how anyone could think he wouldn't succeed.
buduan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject:

Curry is a top 5 SG.

Magic stands alone as the greatest PG ever.
P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:13 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
Curry is a top 5 SG.

That sums it up exactly

Curry isn't really in the same ballpark as Magic
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Both guys changed the game but no one could play with anyone like Magic could.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 3:29 pm    Post subject:

buduan wrote:
Curry is a top 5 SG.

We're kind of reaching a point where some of these traditional position designations don't make much sense anymore.
Batguano
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Forget Magic vs Curry.

There's already chatter that if Curry beats LeBron again (making him 4-1 head-to-head against LeBron) and wins a 5th championship, Curry vs LeBron will become a discussion. At the very least it'll be an eyebrow-raising wrinkle in the narrative that Curry came into "LeBron's Era" and not only kept LeBron from winning more titles and cementing his unanimous GOAT status, won the head-to-head playoff matchup, won more rings and thus was the more important/impactful player of the two in this era.

Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:11 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
There's already chatter that if Curry beats LeBron again (making him 4-1 head-to-head against LeBron) and wins a 5th championship, Curry vs LeBron will become a discussion.

So you're rooting for Golden State. Thanks for letting us know.
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Forget Magic vs Curry.

There's already chatter that if Curry beats LeBron again (making him 4-1 head-to-head against LeBron) and wins a 5th championship, Curry vs LeBron will become a discussion. At the very least it'll be an eyebrow-raising wrinkle in the narrative that Curry came into "LeBron's Era" and not only kept LeBron from winning more titles and cementing his unanimous GOAT status, won the head-to-head playoff matchup, won more rings and thus was the more important/impactful player of the two in this era.

Oh this is so sad
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:32 pm    Post subject:

Batguano wrote:
Forget Magic vs Curry.

Yeah let's not take Stephen A seriously pls

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13
Jump to: