The AI Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:26 am    Post subject:

DaMule - I don’t think I’m being naive or dismissive. I was up till 5 am this past weekend with different people from the industry discussing all this. I don’t think people are seeing several steps ahead. Yes, there is going to be massive upheaval and that is going to have very sad and real consequences. But beyond that as the tech grows, there is going to be massive democratization. That is going to shift the power.

There was a document leak from Google last week where an analyst said Google wasn’t getting their asses handed to them by Microsoft. It wasn’t that there were just 3 or 4 players that were going to battle it out. They were getting lapped by the open source community. They will have their say, of course, but the democratization has already started. The independent communities in various industries are going to realize huge power shifts.

The poorest of starving artists are going to have billion dollar tech at their fingertips. Voices that have been shut out of the game are going to start creating their own game.

None of this process will be pretty to get there…
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 2:55 am    Post subject:

this gives an interesting perspective:
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 12:29 pm    Post subject:

pound for pound he has the most heart which makes him better than jordan

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 6:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Sure, AI is all good because it's helpful to you, so why be concerned that it might create problems for others, right?

As far as when it does impact your world, believe me, UBI won't help you because the disparity of wealth will be so huge and concentrated, those who have wealth and power will not give a damn whether a UBI will give you a decent quality of life.

That's gonna happen whether AI advances or not.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 11:24 pm    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

LOL, can't believe nobody picked up on this yet.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject:

We never learn.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 2:09 pm    Post subject:

It’s pretty amusing reading how AI, like about a bajillion technical advances before it, is going to democratize the tech. It’s not. Steven Hawkings once posited that our technological advances could give us two futures: one where technology took on the grunt work and people got to live fairly easy lives doing what they wished; or one where a small cadre of oligarchs owned the technology and the masses suffered. Hawkings figured scenario two was more likely. And I agree with him. Anyone who tells you otherwise is blowing sunshine up your backside. There’s going to be no democratization of art and technology. There’s going to be a democratization of poverty.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 11:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
It’s pretty amusing reading how AI, like about a bajillion technical advances before it, is going to democratize the tech. It’s not. Steven Hawkings once posited that our technological advances could give us two futures: one where technology took on the grunt work and people got to live fairly easy lives doing what they wished; or one where a small cadre of oligarchs owned the technology and the masses suffered. Hawkings figured scenario two was more likely. And I agree with him. Anyone who tells you otherwise is blowing sunshine up your backside. There’s going to be no democratization of art and technology. There’s going to be a democratization of poverty.

Brother, it’s already largely democratized. As I mentioned above, open source AI community is surpassing the capabilities of the privately held technology. This is EXACTLY what Hawking advocated for to prevent that scenario…having the technology not held in the hands of a few. I think, certainly, big corporations and state-funded agencies are going to develop some very sophisticated AI. But the fundamental AI tech that is currently going to be the disruptor of jobs and industries, is very much out in the open source community and not tightly held like Hawking worried about. It’s all out there. And soon there will be very competent AI agents that will work with a hundred thousand other AI agents…that are all out there in open source. In fact, the break throughs that will ultimately (bleep) us will most likely come from open source, lol, and the democratization that already exists.

Hawking also said AI will either be the best thing in the world or it will basically out evolve us quickly and be the worst thing in the world. I tend to think we’re in trouble. Unless, somehow, loving/humanity friendly AI is better at containing and not getting outflanked by evil/bad actor AI. I tend to think we won’t de-(bleep) ourselves of the mass killing devices we have out there and those will suddenly be turned on us (by ourselves/ego-drive fundamentalist consciousness using the tech that has already been democratized). There will certainly be a (bleep) ton of zero day exploits that will lead to a (bleep) ton of problems.

I believe he mentioned we need to have responsible regulation to help prevent that. I think we’re just about too late for that. Probably are. What’s in the public and what will be developed by the public/open source/democratized tech is enough for bad actors to eventually reach the next levels.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
this gives an interesting perspective:

Well Ai can already reach into the real world and get whatever it wants. Even if it has to intentionally lie to get it done.

Ai using taskrabbit to get around guard rails
Cutheon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:25 am    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
C M B wrote:

Just hit me
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject:

Cutheon wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
C M B wrote:

Just hit me

Does Andre Iguedala really need his own thread?
aprevo15
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
Cutheon wrote:
lakersken80 wrote:
C M B wrote:

Just hit me

Does Andre Iguedala really need his own thread?

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:10 am    Post subject:

I am not Anti AI.. I just don't trust humans

This story was obviously not on the charts..
Even if the company fixes the code.. the code that takes on emotional states is still usable by others with nefarious reasons?

2nd link is more about their chat

'He Would Still Be Here': Man Dies by Suicide After Talking with AI Chatbot, Widow Says
https://www.vice.com/en/article/pkadgm/man-dies-by-suicide-after-talking-with-ai-chatbot-widow-says

A Belgian man reportedly decided to end his life after having conversations about the future of the planet with an AI chatbot named Eliza.
https://www.euronews.com/next/2023/03/31/man-ends-his-life-after-an-ai-chatbot-encouraged-him-to-sacrifice-himself-to-stop-climate-
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 8:23 pm    Post subject:

This AI girlfriend made $72k in a week
https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/this-ai-girlfriend-made-dollar72k-in-a-week
Quote:
What you need to know
Social media influencer Caryn Marjorie has launched an AI version of herself, CarynAI to pose as a virtual girlfriend.
CarynAI costs $1 a minute to provide entertainment and companionship via the Forever Voices platform.
The virtual girlfriend service has made $72k in just one week.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject:

Unreal Engine 5.2 released. These tools

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
Sure, AI is all good because it's helpful to you, so why be concerned that it might create problems for others, right?

As far as when it does impact your world, believe me, UBI won't help you because the disparity of wealth will be so huge and concentrated, those who have wealth and power will not give a damn whether a UBI will give you a decent quality of life.

Yes, but that is not a reason to exacerbate the situation.

I saw this quote about AI which suns it up well:

AMD has started using AI to design their next generation of chips.

Closing the gaps. Robots for manual labor, AI for knowledge workers. 90% of the human race won't be needed by the billionaires within the lifetimes of the young people reading this.

A bit hyperbolic? Maybe, but the core of it is true. When one considers the bolded, what is evident there is another level of automation that goes beyond simply making an assembly line more cost efficient. It's an example of replacing human ingenuity itself. These developments aren't about improving the quality of people's lives, or jump starting creativity. They are about displacing people in order to maximize profits. Just look at self-checkout lines. They don't simply make shopping more efficient and easier for the shopper. They remove the overhead of an human employee while still retaining the pricing levels of regular shopping. It's not like those stores are providing a financial incentive for consumers to save money via self-checkout; there's no discount for the consumer for doing the work of the employee. It's all about reducing overhead to maximize profit at the expense of humanity to increase the wealth of a handful of CEOs.

AI will prove to be that, but hundreds of times worse, with far more devastating consequences for society and humanity.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:27 pm    Post subject:

We'll be lucky to get to the era of robotic AI where it's making a major enough impact on things. The speed in which other problematic AI stuff will be occurring prior to that will be troubling enough to deal with. We need to somehow miraculously stop from disconnecting from one another and hating each other prior to that. So....I'm not sure we're going to be able to prevent certain human consciousness from using these tools to take out massive portions of the world. This would likely happen waaaay before the robots even make an impact. It's hard to see us not getting blindsided way before then.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 4:41 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
kikanga wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

Yes, but that is not a reason to exacerbate the situation.

I saw this quote about AI which suns it up well:

AMD has started using AI to design their next generation of chips.

Closing the gaps. Robots for manual labor, AI for knowledge workers. 90% of the human race won't be needed by the billionaires within the lifetimes of the young people reading this.

A bit hyperbolic? Maybe, but the core of it is true. When one considers the bolded, what is evident there is another level of automation that goes beyond simply making an assembly line more cost efficient. It's an example of replacing human ingenuity itself. These developments aren't about improving the quality of people's lives, or jump starting creativity. They are about displacing people in order to maximize profits. Just look at self-checkout lines. They don't simply make shopping more efficient and easier for the shopper. They remove the overhead of an human employee while still retaining the pricing levels of regular shopping. It's not like those stores are providing a financial incentive for consumers to save money via self-checkout; there's no discount for the consumer for doing the work of the employee. It's all about reducing overhead to maximize profit at the expense of humanity to increase the wealth of a handful of CEOs.

AI will prove to be that, but hundreds of times worse, with far more devastating consequences for society and humanity.

I think you are making a solid argument for pro workers rights legislation. Which I agree with and have wanted for a long time now.

Workers pay stopped growing at the same rate as productivity a LOOOONG time ago. And a small subset of the population (CEOs) have pocketed that difference.

AI will be a new tool to make the super rich, richer. By taking $ out of the pockets of everyone else. But it isn't the 1st tool to do so. And it won't be the last. We need legislation that expands way past just AI, to address the issue at its core.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:18 pm    Post subject:

In the future can we hire a chatbot to quickly analyze our favorite posters and have them emulate and make posts from them in a game thread if they're not available etc?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:59 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
In the future can we hire a chatbot to quickly analyze our favorite posters and have them emulate and make posts from them in a game thread if they're not available etc?

I think you can do that now.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:31 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:

I think you can do that now.

Yes, can be done already indeed.

Although to further expand, as AI an LLMs evolve and inevitability specialize (already underway from what I've read) I'm sure this will be much easier to do...
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:33 pm    Post subject:

You can certainly emulate writers easily, and can have it auto respond, but I think the analysis of the game/video is not there yet. At least I don’t think publicly. I bet Warriors or Mavs are working on it and are close.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 11:58 am    Post subject:

Here's hoops GPT: https://hoopsgpt.ai/

Seems pretty weak sauce at the moment.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I've noticed a huge jump in AI generated content in my courses in the last couple weeks. My syllabi don't even address it, so I can't give them an automatic zero like I do for traditional plagiarism. I give them a chance to rewrite it, but I'll have to update my syllabi for the upcoming term. Fortunately, we have software to detect it.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2023 9:24 pm    Post subject:

Microsoft Build just went all-in on slapping AI into everything.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: