🏀🏀🏀 Lakers (7) vs Nuggets (1) 🏀🏀🏀 - Western Conference Finals Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
How about trying Rui on Jokic? Shorter but his lower center of gravity and longer wingspan may compensate. The strength is certainly a plus. From a physical standpoint, he may resemble Green more so than anyone else on the team.

Rui can handle that matchup in short spurts imo.
mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:12 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
mad55557777 wrote:
They do have Laker killer Reggie jackson on the bench though

Jackson has been getting no meaningful mins. He is opposite of what the Nuggets want to do. Play team ball.

Some of you continue to underestimate the Nuggets and compare them to past teams. This is a different team. They have the look and feel of a team ready to win a ring.

Going to be a great series. Both teams have strengths and weaknesses to exploit. Both are playing winning basketball. Going to be interesting and fun to see which team is capable of exerting their will and taking this series.

Excellent playoff matchup!

That’s where most lakers killers plays, lol
Chick-N-Stew
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:15 am    Post subject:

Off the subject a bit but who do the LA Rams publicly root for considering the Nugs are owned by ESK Sports LLC? For those who don't know, ESK (Enos Stanley Kroenke) is the Rams owner too.

Go Philadelphia !
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Not a lot of footage there to see how he held up. I think we saw him stepping around for a steal and a double team defensively once. I assume that’s what they were doing all the time was sending a quick double once he caught the ball. We’re going to double a lot under Ham I think, so in theory, Rui/Vando could be thrown on him with help coming quickly and then we scramble from there. Vando’s speed around Jokic was pretty impressive.

I think we will go straight up with AD and their sub patterns will align. But it is interesting that he’s had experience guarding Jokic. I would not have guessed that.

You’re probably right on the AD rotation alignment. My concern is that Davis has a hard time holding the block against heftier Centers and is otherworldly as a backline help defender. Putting him on Jokic means lots of the former and none of the latter. If you could put Davis on a non-shooter and let him be the help, that plays more to his strengths. Just need a primary defender on Jokic who can stand him up. You get the added benefit of Jokic needing to cross match if he wants to defend Davis. He’s going to lose that foot speed battle regularly whereas Vando or Rui could make that transition easily.

It could be a horrible idea that Jokic cuts through like butter. But I’m hoping Darvin gives it a look at some point to test it out.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:41 am    Post subject:

Chick-N-Stew wrote:
Off the subject a bit but who do the LA Rams publicly root for considering the Nugs are owned by ESK Sports LLC? For those who don't know, ESK (Enos Stanley Kroenke) is the Rams owner too.

Go Philadelphia !

I’ve seen Jokic in rams gear but knowing Jokic it’s probably because the org gave him free merch.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 11:51 am    Post subject:

Chick-N-Stew wrote:

Go Philadelphia !

I think the Rams loyalty is to Los Angeles.
ducasse
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Some of you continue to underestimate the Nuggets and compare them to past teams. This is a different team. They have the look and feel of a team ready to win a ring.

Going to be a great series. Both teams have strengths and weaknesses to exploit. Both are playing winning basketball. Going to be interesting and fun to see which team is capable of exerting their will and taking this series.

Excellent playoff matchup!

I agree with you. This Nuggets team is a level above the one the Lakers played in 2020 and they are capable of winning this series. They have a complete team with a lot of good role players around their two stars. Their coach is telling them they are a championship team and they believe it. They also have to be favored in the series with home court. It will be tough to beat them in Denver.
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Yeah this Denver team is better than their bubble team.

It will come down to AD neutralizing Jokic and how the Lakers defend Murray.

This is the best team the Lakers will face to date and maybe in the entire playoffs. It just so happens the Lakers 2 stars give Denver the most fits but obviously that doesn’t guarantee Lakers series win.

Both teams haven’t faced an opponent as tough as the other.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:

This is the best team the Lakers will face to date and maybe in the entire playoffs. It just so happens the Lakers 2 stars give Denver the most fits but obviously that doesn’t guarantee Lakers series win.

AD really needs to be challenged. I tell him, Its simple AD: You outplay Jokic and we win
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

AD really needs to be challenged. I tell him, Its simple AD: You outplay Jokic and we win

Way too simplistic.

Denver team plays team basketball. They have developed impressive team chemistry on both ends. They run PnR with either Murray and Jokic depending on the matchups. The role players are impacting games. KCP has added championship leadership.

Lakers will need to be focused and play with a level of efficiency and urgency that they rarely sustain. Davis is certainly a catalyst. But him “outplaying” Jokic is just a part of the issue. Lakers will need to play at another level for a full 48 mins multiple times. Up to them to show they can sustain it. Davis, James, Ham, every other player need to be at their best.

Denver has more ways to win. Lakers will have to sustain their best without lapses. I can not wait for the series. As excited about this one as I have been for any in a while. NBA playoffs at their best.
1995Lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 3:51 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Way too simplistic.

Denver team plays team basketball. They have developed impressive team chemistry on both ends. They run PnR with either Murray and Jokic depending on the matchups. The role players are impacting games. KCP has added championship leadership.

Lakers will need to be focused and play with a level of efficiency and urgency that they rarely sustain. Davis is certainly a catalyst. But him “outplaying” Jokic is just a part of the issue. Lakers will need to play at another level for a full 48 mins multiple times. Up to them to show they can sustain it. Davis, James, Ham, every other player need to be at their best.

Denver has more ways to win. Lakers will have to sustain their best without lapses. I can not wait for the series. As excited about this one as I have been for any in a while. NBA playoffs at their best.

With them, I think it is that simple because Jokic is their main hub/central nervous system. They dont have the 3-level scorers the way we do so almost everything they do is dependent on Jokic. Denver collapses when Jokic is not on the court for that reason. He is the brains and main cog of their engine. Now you have us where multiple players can go off without really being dependent on each other and you have one of our players outplay their main cog? If that happens, they are finished. They NEED Jokic to outplay our main guys for them to win. Also keep in mind that whenever AD plays brilliantly, we simply do not lose.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:13 pm    Post subject:

Can't believe Lakers have gone this far. We could use KCP, I mean...
james5000
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:42 pm    Post subject:

saetarubia wrote:
james5000 wrote:
Jokic is a much better defender than given credit for the guy has great IQ

Jokic > AD, AD too inconsistent, Jokic always turns up
Gordon << Lebron, Lebron is just flat out better
MPJ > Vando, MPJs offense is just too much better
Murray> DLO, Murray is electric, DLO more miss than hit
KCP>Reaves, more experience, better shooting and D

5th post in 3 years. Wonder if it's concern troll or someone's burner.

Jokic is average on defense on his best days. Terrible match up defensively against agile and atheltic AD. And AD always shows up on defensive end. But AD is incocnsistent and mediocre defender Jokic always turns up?

AR is significantly better than KCP as an offensive player. KCP can't create his own offense. KCP probably a bit better as catch and shoot 3 point shooter, but AR is a 3 level scorer. AR also did a commendable job guarding Curry.

Murray is near super star level player so obviously better than DLO. DLO has scored 17 or more in Lakers 7 playoffs wins this season. If those are misses, Lakers are in great spot and bad time for concern trolls whose math doesn't add up.

Jokic will 110% get his Davis won't be able to limit him. Davis can get complacent on offense. On AD best days he is on Jokic level but I can't see him keeping that up. Jokic is better than AD can't see how people can debate it.

Lakers need Lebron to dominate as well as winning the bench when Jokic is off.

MJP outscores Vando
DLO + Reeves getting 30 won't beat Murray+KCP getting 40

Starters is a Nuggets W and if Lebron wasn't so great it would be convincingly. I expect the Nuggets starters to outscore lakers starters in every game tbh.

In Lakers wins vis Nuggets this year it was Westbrook and Bryant who really made the difference. The bench will be key, have to limit Bruce Brown who seems to keep the score moving. Jeff Green and Braun don't impress me.
Nuggets might actually need a Reggie Jackson or Bryant to play some minutes if the Bench gets crushed.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:43 pm    Post subject:

The team is leaving for Denver tonight. I wonder if it's to get acclimated to the altitude. Normally they would leave the day before a game.

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1657908906876706823?t=5LV40-6QdYwo7nlkt4op0Q&s=19
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:55 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
The team is leaving for Denver tonight. I wonder if it's to get acclimated to the altitude. Normally they would leave the day before a game.

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1657908906876706823?t=5LV40-6QdYwo7nlkt4op0Q&s=19

As a former, no longer athlete ( ) I am onboard with this as everytime I have exited Denver’s airport I feel the (bleep) difference. It’s insane.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject:

One thing to consider, no other team can match or nullify Jokic like we can.

LBJ = Jokic in terms of BBall IQ and rivals him in passing ability.
AD = the best big man defender.

I think both teams are quite deep. But if our two superstars can outplay Jokic I would bet on taking this series in 6.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:03 pm    Post subject:

I feel like it may be better for us to focus more on stopping Jokic's teammates than Jokic himself.

He's going to get his numbers, especially offensively. But the guy who may concern me even more is Jamal Murray. He's a big-game player and he's already had several 30-point games in this year's playoffs, including a 40-point game.

If we shut down Murray and everyone else, Jokic won't get as many assists, which could stymie Denver's offense.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I feel like it may be better for us to focus more on stopping Jokic's teammates than Jokic himself.

He's going to get his numbers, especially offensively. But the guy who may concern me even more is Jamal Murray. He's a big-game player and he's already had several 30-point games in this year's playoffs, including a 40-point game.

If we shut down Murray and everyone else, Jokic won't get as many assists, which could stymie Denver's offense.

I'd lean to this too, but watching vids on Jokic it seems he is pretty capable of breaking "let Jokic cook" defenses.
shoulder doc
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:08 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
32 wrote:

As a former, no longer athlete ( ) I am onboard with this as everytime I have exited Denver’s airport I feel the (bleep) difference. It’s insane.

I'm really glad to hear they are going a day early. It totally makes sense from a medical standpoint as it takes time to adjust to the altitude. In the regular season you don't have time to go couple days early, so it's good the team is preparing proactively.
Kblo247!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject:

1995Lakers wrote:
1995Lakers wrote:
LakerSD wrote:

Way too simplistic.

With them, I think it is that simple because Jokic is their main hub/central nervous system. They dont have the 3-level scorers the way we do so almost everything they do is dependent on Jokic. Denver collapses when Jokic is not on the court for that reason. He is the brains and main cog of their engine. Now you have us where multiple players can go off without really being dependent on each other and you have one of our players outplay their main cog? If that happens, they are finished. They NEED Jokic to outplay our main guys for them to win. Also keep in mind that whenever AD plays brilliantly, we simply do not lose.

The only issue I have with your premise is that it requires Ham to be got damn strategic with sitting AD. He has to use timeouts, rest points, and everything else. Because to shutdown Jokic requires more than anything else with his passing and shooting. I’m not saying he can’t battle him better than anyone else has, but we better use every second right. And his guards better have his back too
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
32 wrote:

Ex Athlete? When was that? 50 years back? 😂

Jk
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:33 pm    Post subject:

D-Shiznit wrote:
Need AD to frustrate and get Jokic in foul trouble.

If AD wins the match-up, we win this series.

I can almost guarantee that’s not the way this is going to go it’s gonna be the other way around joker is going to get Anthony Davis in foul trouble and it’s gonna be up to Anthony Davis to keep on playing hard while we rotate other Biggs that we’ve accumulated to guard joker and preserve Anthony Davis’s fouls

You got to understand everything goes through joker he’s going to go off
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:35 pm    Post subject:

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Lakers in 4.

Any bets on what the ESPN experts will pick? I think there were about 15 of them and 13 picked against the lakers

I love the enthusiasm but this is not going to happen. This has been the best team all season in the NBA. They’re going to give us some problems. Do you have to factor in refereeing whenever they’re playing at home they are a very very balanced team and joker is no joke.
Polarbear
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
32 wrote:
Mo Bamba could be ready for this series. We could use him to throw another big at Jokic.

If Bamba plays in this series, his ability to hit 3-pointers can help draw Jokic out of the paint and open up the lane for others.

To me, Bombas three point shooting would just be a plus what we’re gonna need from him is his size and his ability to body up on Joker we need his fouls and rim protection
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Polarbear wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
Lakers in 4.

Any bets on what the ESPN experts will pick? I think there were about 15 of them and 13 picked against the lakers

I love the enthusiasm but this is not going to happen. This has been the best team all season in the NBA. They’re going to give us some problems. Do you have to factor in refereeing whenever they’re playing at home they are a very very balanced team and joker is no joke.

Wooooowww, what a hater

Lol, yea I understand it’s unlikely but we match up very well with Denver, and while we were playing some of our worst basketball with Westbrook on team, we beat them 2 out of 3, excluding the game where neither LeBron nor AD played.

I predicted a sweep against the warriors, or a gentleman’s sweep, and I was wrong, it went to 6, so maybe it won’t be as easy as I expect. I feel like AD and LeBron can really expose Joker on the defensive end with a little bit of reaves, Shro, and DLo paint attacking sprinkled in. And unless Joker is going to shoot lights out from mid range and 3, we can limit his efficiency in the paint. That was Steph’s real strength, he beat the Kings with his lay-ups not with his threes. That’s why I felt confident that we could take away the paint and their only chance to win would be from behind the arc.

I don’t think Joker will be the deciding factor in this series. I actually think it will be Murray, and the aggregate of the supporting cast, KCP etc. hitting outside shots. It will be a make or miss series for Denver.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Page 8 of 34
Jump to: