17th Pick: JALEN HOOD SCHIFINO is a Laker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:10 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
In the G-League he's averaging 22/5/5 on 47/43/80 splits. He's <50% from 2 (he's at 49%). His assist to turnover ratio is 1.6.

Nothing about this screams sure bet, but at least he looks better than in his summer league.

I'm not sure why people are acting like they want him to be a bust. It's fine to be skeptical but it strikes me as a good thing he's playing relatively well. I suspect that 3FG% is an illusion and real NBA defense will drop that significantly, which is my biggest worry. But in any case, he's young. No point of being a doomer about him.

I don’t look at the percentages so much because there’s nothing to really translate g-league data to pro data. I just look at the fact that through all his highlight clips (and I’ve watched all of them) you can count on one hand the number of at-rim shots he’s taken—very disconcerting for a guard—especially one billed for his size. DLO was criticized for his lack of athleticism when drafted (something buoyed by his strong shot-making and playmaking) but even he showed an ability to score at the rim. JHS is unable or unwilling to drive to the rim against g-leaguers, as he was against college athletes. I’m sure the very public block by JJJ (who is not a good shotblocker btw) didn’t help his willingness.

I honestly don’t knows what scouts saw. I remember Hollinger was equally puzzled going into the draft, putting him at 40th overall. Players that rely exclusively on difficult shot-making (which he didn’t even do efficiently—49% TS) virtually never translate to the pros. We’re basically hoping his hot shooting from 3 translates. It’s the only way he’s going to be an impact offensive player. I’m not rooting against him. I just think the odds aren’t in his favor, and we’re better off trading him while his value is more mysterious than known.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:05 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
tox wrote:
In the G-League he's averaging 22/5/5 on 47/43/80 splits. He's <50% from 2 (he's at 49%). His assist to turnover ratio is 1.6.

Nothing about this screams sure bet, but at least he looks better than in his summer league.

I'm not sure why people are acting like they want him to be a bust. It's fine to be skeptical but it strikes me as a good thing he's playing relatively well. I suspect that 3FG% is an illusion and real NBA defense will drop that significantly, which is my biggest worry. But in any case, he's young. No point of being a doomer about him.

I don’t look at the percentages so much because there’s nothing to really translate g-league data to pro data. I just look at the fact that through all his highlight clips (and I’ve watched all of them) you can count on one hand the number of at-rim shots he’s taken—very disconcerting for a guard—especially one billed for his size. DLO was criticized for his lack of athleticism when drafted (something buoyed by his strong shot-making and playmaking) but even he showed an ability to score at the rim. JHS is unable or unwilling to drive to the rim against g-leaguers, as he was against college athletes. I’m sure the very public block by JJJ (who is not a good shotblocker btw) didn’t help his willingness.

I honestly don’t knows what scouts saw. I remember Hollinger was equally puzzled going into the draft, putting him at 40th overall. Players that rely exclusively on difficult shot-making (which he didn’t even do efficiently—49% TS) virtually never translate to the pros. We’re basically hoping his hot shooting from 3 translates. It’s the only way he’s going to be an impact offensive player. I’m not rooting against him. I just think the odds aren’t in his favor, and we’re better off trading him while his value is more mysterious than known.

Yeah for me if we are going to take a non-athlete then they better have some seriously elite skills to make up for it. Just not seeing any with JHS. A guy like DLo was a significantly better shooter and playmaker coming into the league, and even with his elite shooting this season there are real concerns about him holding up in the playoffs. Just seems like it’ll be a tough path for him to have a meaningful career unless he just becomes a lights out shooter. Seeing the guys we passed on for him is painful. Those mistakes are the difference between keeping a contending window open and seeing it close.
JustaObserver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:58 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
JustaObserver wrote:
MJST wrote:
2019 wrote:
MJST wrote:
JHS 26 Points 5 Threes

1. Mac McClung 24.4
2. Malcolm Hill 24.4
3. Javon Freeman-Liberty 24.0
4. Hunter Tyson 23.8
5. Terquavion Smith 23.7

Why are you not posting those guys YouTube vids?

Because this is a Jalen Hood-Schifino thread.

...right to the point

Right to dodging the point

ahhhhhhh poor uuuuuuuu!

tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 5:28 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
tox wrote:

I can agree with all of this. Including trading him away if we try to make a serious move this offseason (I'd rather keep Christie for example). I wasn't a big fan of the pick. But I'm interested to see, while he's a Laker, how he develops. Things can look very different with skill work, more reps finishing at the basket, etc. I've seen enough players abuse the Lakers' small and/or non-physical guards to know there's value in a plus sized guard with a sturdy build, but a lot of things have to go right with his shooting and ballhandling.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:45 pm    Post subject:

tox wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
tox wrote:

I can agree with all of this. Including trading him away if we try to make a serious move this offseason (I'd rather keep Christie for example). I wasn't a big fan of the pick. But I'm interested to see, while he's a Laker, how he develops. Things can look very different with skill work, more reps finishing at the basket, etc. I've seen enough players abuse the Lakers' small and/or non-physical guards to know there's value in a plus sized guard with a sturdy build, but a lot of things have to go right with his shooting and ballhandling.

one thing i'll try to be bullish on just to not be mr. negative, he does seem to have quick hands. He's not getting a lot of steals in the box score, but i wonder if that's because he's usually deflecting to the person getting credited with the steal? He's definitely big and is hopefully strong. Hopefully someone who can rely on instinct and positioning defensively, but not having quick lateral movement kinda caps him a bit.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:56 pm    Post subject:

When Rob was interviewed on draft night, I thought he said JHS was a Jesse Buss pick.

They should have drafted GG Jackson, with the 2nd round pick they traded for.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:27 pm    Post subject:

It's weird how the Lakers have (mostly) done a good job of drafting in recent years, but they apparently messed up the 2023 draft.

Going with Lonzo Ball in 2017 was the one massive failure they had, but besides that, they've been pretty good.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
It's weird how the Lakers have (mostly) done a good job of drafting in recent years, but they apparently messed up the 2023 draft.

Going with Lonzo Ball in 2017 was the one massive failure they had, but besides that, they've been pretty good.

That was a Magic pick. The guy was singing like a canary before the draft that Zo was our guy.
zambia
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:51 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

That was a Magic pick. The guy was singing like a canary before the draft that Zo was our guy.

Magic wanted Fox. Jeanie, Pelinka, and Tim Harris wanted Lonzo Ball. Guess what college Tim Harris attended.
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 11:12 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:

Can't really say Zo was a failure given how his career never really started in the first place. In order for someone to bust, they have to consistently show it, and Zo was always knocked down a peg with some injury. He never really had a chance to prove himself. In the brief moment he was healthy, I do know that he was the MVP of that Bulls team. They were contending with him and now they are a play-in squad without him.

It also goes without saying Zo was the right pick at the time. Summer league was absolutely electric with him, and then he dropped a 30 point triple double in his 2nd NBA game. He was showing all the right signs and trending upwards. No one (except Lavar) could have predicted his downslide with all the injuries. That's on Lavar's barbaric training methods. I fear the same is happening to LaMelo.
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:00 pm    Post subject:

Denny_Russo wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Can't really say Zo was a failure given how his career never really started in the first place. In order for someone to bust, they have to consistently show it, and Zo was always knocked down a peg with some injury. He never really had a chance to prove himself. In the brief moment he was healthy, I do know that he was the MVP of that Bulls team. They were contending with him and now they are a play-in squad without him.

It also goes without saying Zo was the right pick at the time. Summer league was absolutely electric with him, and then he dropped a 30 point triple double in his 2nd NBA game. He was showing all the right signs and trending upwards. No one (except Lavar) could have predicted his downslide with all the injuries. That's on Lavar's barbaric training methods. I fear the same is happening to LaMelo.

That lob to BI on like the first play of summer league got me hyped then Magic got all Don Da Da shutting BI down but man, that squad with young Lonzo/BI/Hart/Zubac was nice
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:30 pm    Post subject:

welp

Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten
The Lakers say that rookie guard Jalen Hood-Schifino underwent successful back surgery -- lumbar microdiscectomy -- on Thursday. No time table for recovery was provided.
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:57 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
welp

Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten
The Lakers say that rookie guard Jalen Hood-Schifino underwent successful back surgery -- lumbar microdiscectomy -- on Thursday. No time table for recovery was provided.

so that's what was holding him back
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:10 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
welp

Quote:
Dave McMenamin
@mcten

Back surgery at 20. That's rough. What's next for these kids? Open heart surgery?
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Haha… can anyone give us even a 2nd rd pick for this guy?

What a wasted pick
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:37 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:

What a wasted pick

But he scored 26 points against non NBA competition

Back surgery, putrid NBA play, limited skills, weak athletic ability, Laker player under valuation... I don't know he'd command a 2nd as of now either
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:42 pm    Post subject:

2019 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

What a wasted pick

Back surgery, putrid NBA play, limited skills, weak athletic ability, Laker player under valuation... I don't know he'd command a 2nd as of now either

Agree 100%

Rob got suckered into the Kobe mentality thing and failure is not an option garbage
miggz23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Bron2AD wrote:
2019 wrote:
Bron2AD wrote:

What a wasted pick

Agree 100%

Rob got suckered into the Kobe mentality thing and failure is not an option garbage

All these professionals should know Kobe or Mamba mentality is just a saying. No one really has it but Kobe.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Turns out it was a bulging disk...

Jalen Hood-Schifino’s procedure involved a bulging disk in his back being shaved, a source familiar with the injury told ESPN. The Lakers expect the 20-year-old guard to make a full recovery in the offseason.

https://x.com/mcten/status/1770955736547250194?s=46&t=6-sxM4NpvzeWdNMn3aVCqg

So I'm glad it was nothing too too major and I hope he heals well and recovers completely. That said I am still crying in Jaime Jaquez and Brandin Podziemski
Denny_Russo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 5:20 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
Turns out it was a bulging disk...

Jalen Hood-Schifino’s procedure involved a bulging disk in his back being shaved, a source familiar with the injury told ESPN. The Lakers expect the 20-year-old guard to make a full recovery in the offseason.

https://x.com/mcten/status/1770955736547250194?s=46&t=6-sxM4NpvzeWdNMn3aVCqg

So I'm glad it was nothing too too major and I hope he heals well and recovers completely. That said I am still crying in Jaime Jaquez and Brandin Podziemski

Hope he's alright. Back problems can linger and lead to early retirement if not fixed, so hopefully this surgery addresses it for good. He's got a long road ahead of him. Sure guys like Jaquez or Podz would be nice, but I doubt we've seen the best of JHS yet.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:25 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Dr. Rajpal Brar, DPT
@3cbPerformance
·
9h
In other words, this is removing a piece of tissue in the back that is causing irritation, typically onto the nerves. Looking at a 2.5 to 3 month recovery and outcomes are good for elite basketball players. Tough rookie season for Jalen with multiple injuries.

Hopefully outcome is good for mid players as well🙏
Bron2AD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:30 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Quote:

Dr. Rajpal Brar, DPT
@3cbPerformance
·
9h
In other words, this is removing a piece of tissue in the back that is causing irritation, typically onto the nerves. Looking at a 2.5 to 3 month recovery and outcomes are good for elite basketball players. Tough rookie season for Jalen with multiple injuries.

Hopefully outcome is good for mid players as well🙏

Hopefully outcome is good for scrub players as well🙏
anth2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject:

Lakers failed miserably with this pick.
Could have picked Jacquez, Whitmore - who actually play.

Still believe the Lonzo pick was by far the worst in franchise history. They passed on Tatum, Fox, Lauri, etc.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:18 am    Post subject:

There is some perspective needed in this thread. Hopefully JHS has a smooth recovery.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:24 am    Post subject:

Best of luck on a speedy recovery
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 44 of 48
Jump to: